• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 572 Views, 14 Comments

CMC: The Third Generation - PhoenixTDM



A series of one-shots detailing the adventures of three fillies on a quest to find what makes them special and earn their cutie marks

  • ...
 14
 572

Cinnamon Apple Cider

Author's Note:

This takes place right where chapter 9 left off!

Edit:
I am making a comic adaption of this story! Read it here!

After school, Fluffball disguised as Dolphin Blaze, the purple unicorn filly. When Cheeseball’s dad came to pick him up, Fluffball and Sun Ray asked if they could come over to celebrate his birthday, and he agreed! Jany sat far away from them in front of the tree, smiling sadly as her three best friends went off without her.

Cheeseball’s dad, Nacho Cheese, would never allow Jany to come over. She had spiral eyes, and everypony knew that meant she was related to Discord. Luckily Fluffball could change how she looked, but although Jany had powerful magic, she couldn’t do anything like that yet.

Jany sighed as her friends ran off to celebrate the light-orange colt’s birthday. She didn’t really have anything to do. Well, besides homework… And it was science, her worst subject! She let out another exasperated sigh as she prepared to teleport back home. But just before she was about to, she heard hoofsteps approaching her.

“Jany?” her heart skipped a beat as she recognized the voice of Cinnamon Apple. He still hadn’t completely apologized to the rest of her friends, but he wasn’t bullying them, either. And whenever he ever interacted with them, it wasn’t a rude interaction.

Jany and Cinnamon had talked a little bit more and hung out sometimes, but there weren’t really any opportunities for them to, since she was always hanging out with the girls and Cheeseball and he was always hanging out with his own friends.

“Oh, hey, Cinnamon!” she said a little too enthusiastically. He smiled and sat down next to her.

“Where are your friends? Did they leave without ‘ya?” he asked, looking around.

“Yeah… They are going to Cheeseball’s birthday party. I can’t, though, because his dad would never allow it. I also wouldn’t want him to get in trouble by being friends with me…”

Cinnamon put his hoof on hers and her face heated up. “It’s okay, Jany. Do you wanna umm… Hang out with uh- me? Maybe it’ll help ‘ya feel better?” Cinnamon asked. Her heart pounded and he looked down in embarrassment, pulling his hoof away from hers.

“You don’t have to though!” he quickly added.

“No, I’d love to!” she said. He looked back up at her and smiled, “Really?” he asked.

“Yeah! Where do you wanna go?” she replied.

“Do you wanna go see a movie or something? I really wanna see the new Spider-Colt: Across the Spider-Verse,” he asked .

“Sure! I love Spider-Colt!” she squealed. She teleported them to the Ponyville Movie Theater past the tickets booth.

“AAAH! WHAT THE HAY?!” Cinnamon shrieked.

“Oh! Sorry, Cinnamon!” Jany said, “I forgot that you don’t normally teleport… I should’ve warned you.”

“It’s okay, but yes, please warn me next time!” he responded. Jany giggled and the two foals walked towards one of the theaters.

“Wait, don’t we have to buy tickets? And popcorn?” he asked.

“Well we’re already in here, so we don’t need tickets to get in! And I can conjure up some snacks when we sit down,” Jany smiled.

“Wow! That’s actually so cool! I dunno why I thought chaos magic was weird before, it’s AWESOME!” he shouted. Jany grinned and her face heated up again. Why do I keep blushing?! she thought. She shook her head to clear it.

“C’mon! Let’s go see the movie!” she said. They trotted into the theater and sat in the front row. Jany used her magic to make a large popcorn, two large icees, hot dogs, and soft pretzels appear.

“Thanks,” Cinnamon whispered as the movie started, “your magic really is wonderful. I'm glad we didn't have to spend 50 bits on that.” Jany’s heart rate raised again and she smiled a sheepish grin as she turned towards the movie.


“That movie was SO AMAZING!!!” Jany squealed as they walked out of the theater. Cinnamon laughed and agreed with her.

“We should do that again sometime!” Cinnamon said.

“YEAH!” Jany shouted. She blushed, “I mean- um- Yeah!” Cinnamon laughed and her heartbeat quickened again. Aaah, why do I keep acting so awkward! And blushing! I don’t like him, do I?!

“Do you wanna go sledding? I think there’s only an hour until it gets dark!” Jany asked.

“Yeah! Let’s go to Sweet Apple Acres, there’s some amazin’ sleddin’ hills there!”

“Okay! I’m gonna teleport us now!” she replied. He grinned and they both appeared at the Apple Farm, now wearing their winter hats and scarves. Cinnamon’s was green, different from his eye color like Fluffball had noticed a few days ago.

“Follow me! There’s a huge hill over here!” he started galloping away and she followed. The sun was starting to set, casting an orange and purple glow over the snowy field. The apple trees surrounding them were all bare, but still beautiful with the snow atop them.

At last, they arrived at a hill. Cinnamon wasn’t understating. It really was a huge hill! Jany used her magic to make a two-pony shiny purple sled appear.

“C’mon, let’s get on!” she hopped on the sled and waited for him, but he was looking down the hill with his eyes widened and his ears folded back.

“What’s wrong?” Jany asked.

“I’m… Scared,” he admitted, turning around in shame.

“Haven’t you done it before?”

“No… I’ve only done the short hills here. I’ve always been too scared to do the big ones,” he replied.

“It’s okay! Just hold onto me like the rollercoaster! You overcame that fear, so you can overcome this, too!” she said. Cinnamon smiled and hopped on behind her.

She looked back, “You ready?”

“NoOOO AAAAAHH” he screamed as they started going down the hill. He screamed so loud just like when they’d gone on the rollercoaster a few months ago and squeezed her like his life depended on it. She threw her hooves up in the air and yelled “WOOOHOOO!”

It was way shorter than a rollercoaster, of course, so it only lasted a few seconds. When they got to the bottom of the hill, they slid across the snow for a while until the sled finally stopped.

“That was SO FUN!” Cinnamon yelled.

“Yeah!! And good job on facing your fear, i’m proud of you,” Jany said.

“Thanks! Let’s go again!” he shouted. Jany teleported them and their sled back to the top of the hill and Cinnamon screamed again.

“Oops, sorry, forgot to warn you about that. Do you wanna go in the front this time?” Jany asked.

“Ah’ dunno, that sounds really scary… But also, oh my Celestia, I love chaos magic! We didn’t have to walk all the way back up the hill!”

“Yeah! Also it’s okay, you don’t have to go in the front. It’s so fun though!” Jany replied.

“Hmm… Okay, maybe I will…” he said. Cinnamon hesitantly set hoof into the sled and sat down. Jany sat down behind him and could feel him shaking. She knew it wasn’t from the cold.

“It’s okay, Cinnamon. I can go in the front if you want,” Jany reassured, putting her hoof on his shoulder.

Cinnamon smiled and said, “No, I’m ready for this.” The sled started going down the hill again, and they both screamed.

“Wow, that was AMAZIN’!” Cinnamon shouted as they got off the sled.

“See, I told you it’s fun!” Jany grinned. The two foals laughed and they continued sledding until the sky was dark and the tips of their muzzles and ears were dusted pink from the cold.

“Brrr I’m freezin’!” Cinnamon was shaking and it looked like there were even icicles coming from his muzzle, “Hey, I know! We should go into mah’ house and warm up by the fire with some hot apple cider! We still have some from the fall!”

“Yeah!” Jany agreed, “I’m gonna teleport us there!” And she did. They appeared in the large wooden house built next to the main Apple family house and barn, and they were hit with a rush of warm air.

“Cinnamon? Is that you?” a gray unicorn with a blonde mane and blue wall-eyes like Cinnamon’s walked into the room.

“Hi, Ma!” Cinnamon galloped towards her and gave her a hug.

“Where have you been? And oh my Celestia, hi, Jany! I haven’t seen you in so long!”

“Hi, Mrs. Dinky!” Jany ran over to her and gave her a hug. Dinky was Aunt Screwball’s best friend. Jany and Fluffball grew up seeing the Apple family and they were like family to Fluffball, but not really to Jany. Her cousin saw them way more often, since both her parents were Dinky’s friends, but Jany saw her parents’ friends more often, and they were like family to Jany.

“We were out sleddin’!” Cinnamon told his mom, “And I went down the big hill!”

“Really?! Oh, wow! I’m so proud of you!” Dinky replied.

“Yeah! And it was all thanks to Jany,” he pointed to her and she sheepishly smiled.

“Aww, really? That’s so sweet, thanks Jany! We’ve been trying to get him to sled down that hill for years!”

“Ma, can we have some hot apple cider? We’re both freezin’ our hooves off’!” Cinnamon asked.

“Of course! And let me get the fire started for you two,” Dinky replied. She pointed her horn towards the fire and used her blue magic to ignite it. The two foals sat down in front of the fire and Dinky levitated a quilt and put it over them.

“I’m gonna heat up some cider, now. It won’t be long,” Dinky walked over to the kitchen and poured some apple cider into a pot over the stove and started heating it up. Cinnamon turned to Jany.

“Thanks again for helping me overcome my fear,” he whispered, smiling.

“You’re welcome,” she smiled back at him and turned back to the fire. She felt his hoof on hers and her heart rate rose again. She leaned her head on his shoulder, sensing his body stiffen in surprise. But then he relaxed and gently rested his head on hers.

They both sat there in silence, enjoying each other’s presence and the warmth of the fire. This was one of the best days she’d had in a while. Needless to say—Jany really liked spending time with Cinnamon.

After a short while, Dinky came back with two hot apple ciders and they both began drinking them. It was so good! Probably the best cider she’d ever had.

“This is yumlicious!” Jany beamed.

Dinky laughed and said, “Thanks, Jany! I’m going to go back to the muffins I was making, but tell your Aunt Screwball and Uncle Mothball I said hi when you go home!”

“Okay! Wait, MUFFINS?! Can I have some?!” Jany squealed.

“Yeah! I’m making some cinnamon muffins, my favorite!” Dinky trotted back into the kitchen. Jany and Cinnamon chatted and talked about random things. School, their families, their friends.

“Cinnamon, when do you think you’ll be ready to apologize to my friends?” Jany asked.

“I dunno… I really want to, but I’m just scared… I’m also scared that I’ve lost my favorite cousin for good…” he frowned.

“I can help you apologize! Well, I won’t say anything for you, but I’ll be there with you every step of the way! And I’m sure you haven’t lost her! She just needs to see the real you again. The one who’s sweet and kind and funny and-” she realized how lovey-dovey she was being and stopped talking.

Cinnamon blushed. “Aww, thanks, Jany. Okay, I will apologize to them tomorrow during recess!” Jany grinned and then Dinky brought out the muffins. They were so good! Especially with the hot apple cider.

“Yum, thanks Mrs. Dinky!” Jany said after she finished her muffin.

“You’re welcome, Jany! Are you going home now?” she asked.

“Yeah, it’s getting late,” Jany made a watch appear on her foreleg above her hoof, “it’s only 7pm?! Wow, it’s so dark out! But still I’ve gotta get going. Bye, Mrs. Dinky! Bye, Cinnamon!”

“Bye, Jany, see you tomorrow!” Cinnamon said. Jany smiled and then teleported home.

Jany appeared in the main hall of the Castle of Chaos. She smiled again at the familiar sights of her chaotic home. The pink-and-purple checkered floors, sideways doors and fireplaces, random colors everywhere. She saw her parents, grandparents, aunt, and uncle playing charades in the “family room”, aka the part of the castle with red fancy sofas.

“Hi, guys!” Jany said when she approached her family.

“Hey, kiddo!” Zany ruffled her mane and she giggled.

“Aunt Screwball, Uncle Mothball, Mrs. Dinky says hi!” Jany told them.

“Aww, were you over at the apple farm?” Screwball asked.

“Yeah!” Jany smiled.

“What were you doing there?” her mother, Jewel, asked.

“I was sledding with Cinnamon!” she replied. Suddenly, Fluffball appeared in the castle.

“Oh there you are! I was worried when I came home and didn’t see you!” Fluffball said to her parents.

“Sorry, Fluffy! I should’ve left a note or something,” Mothball responded.

“Jany, let’s go to your room!” Fluffball said.

“Okay!” she replied. They both teleported into Jany’s bright pink bedroom.

“Today was wonderful” Fluffball dramatically sighed in happiness as she flopped her back onto Jany’s bed. Jany hopped on next to her.

“Ooh, did you and Cheeseball kiiiiisss?” Jany teased.

“No!” Fluffball blushed, “but he did love my gift!” As Fluffball told the story of her whole entire night, Jany was distracted with thoughts of Cinnamon. She smiled and felt giddy as she remembered how much fun they’d had.

“Jany? Hellooooo? Earth to Jany?” Fluffball was waving her hoof in front of Jany’s face.

“Huh?” Jany asked when she snapped back to reality.

“You were staring off into space! And smiling… Who were you thinking about?” Fluffball smirked.

“Oh, um nopony! Just the science homework,” she replied.

“Nopony smiles like they’re in love when thinking about homework, especially you! Oh my Celestia, do you like somepony?!” Fluffball yelled.

“What?! No!!” Jany shouted.

“OH MY CELESTIA! Who is it?!” Fluffball demanded.

“Nopony!!!”

“It’s not Cheeseball is it?” Fluffball bitterly asked.

“Ew no! You two are meant for eachother,” Jany replied.

“Ok, good. Who is it then? Is it Lucas?”

“No! He just turned 7 a few months ago and I’m 9!”

“Oh yeah,” Fluffball replied, “Is it Waterfall?”

“No!”

“Cloudwatcher?”

“No! I’ve never even talked to him!”

“Colt?”

“Um, no. And what kind of colt has the name Colt?!”

Fluffball laughed, “Is it Violet Sparkle?”

“No.”

“Oh my Celestia, is it Sun Ray?”

“What? No!” Jany yelled.

“OH MY CELESTIA!!! YOU HAVE A CRUSH ON SUN RAY!” Fluffball shrieked.

“WHAT?! No I don’t!!!”

“Ooooh! Sun Ray and Jany sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Jany blushed in embarrassment.

“Stop!!!!” Jany shouted, “I only like her as a best friend!”

“Then why are you blushing? Oh my gosh, Sun Ray told me that she doesn’t like colts, THAT MEANS SHE LIKES FILLIES! And that means she likes you!” Fluffball smirked.

“That doesn’t mean she likes me! And I don’t like fillies!” Jany replied.

“Oh really, then why are you always helping her with her math? And on Nightmare Night you wanted to see Sun Ray’s reaction to your costume and not mine!”

“Because she struggles at math! And because she was going to be Nightmare Moon and I was Daybreak! And how did you even know I said that to my dad on Nightmare Night?”

“Plot convenience,” Fluffball grinned.

“Huh?” Jany asked.

“Anyway, you two still wore matching costumes on Nightmare Night! And did you see the heart eyes she was giving you when she saw your costume?!”

“She was just admiring it! It was really cool!” Jany argued.

“Ooooorr, that was the moment she fell in love with you forever and wanted to kiss you and marry you and-”

“Oh my Celestia, STOP! I don’t like Sun Ray and she doesn’t like me!”

“Suuuuure,” Fluffball replied. Jany rolled her eyes. Screwball suddenly appeared in front of them.

“Fluffy, we’re going home, now!”

“Okay! Bye, Jany! See you tomorrow!” She said, “And Sun Ray,” she added with a smirk. They teleported away back to their house and Jany groaned into her pillow. What had been a perfect night was now an uncomfortable one.

“Sun Ray doesn’t actually have a crush on me, does she? And why is Fluffball taking all those interactions between us out of context? And oh my Celestia, do I like Cinnamon?!” Jany thought out loud. She blushed again at the thought of the cinnamon-colored blonde colt. His eyes were so cute! They were weird eyes, just like hers. Well, not just like hers, but they still were abnormal. Just like her.


Jany woke up the next morning with a smile on her face. Today was the day Cinnamon was going to apologize to her friends, once and for all! She quickly brushed her mane and drank some strawberry milk for breakfast. Jany put on her blue hat and scarf and then knocked on Fluffball’s door like she did every morning.

“Good morning! How are you doing today?” she asked, like she did every morning.

“Good morning! I’m doing fantazzlistic!” Fluffball replied. The two fillies giggled and then teleported to school. They headed over to the tree like they did every morning. The one where Sun Ray and Cheeseball sat every morning. Oh yeah… Sun Ray… Jany remembered Fluffball teasing Jany about her supposed crush on the pegasus filly.

“Ooh, there’s Sun Ray!” Fluffball whispered, “You should go over to her and ask her out!”

“No!” Jany replied. As they approached their friends, Fluffball smirked and pushed Jany towards Sun Ray. Jany shrieked and landed face-first in the snow. As she sat up and shook the snow off her face, her friends all laughed. Sun Ray’s laugh was angelic.

Wow, her laugh is really pretty. Wait, what the hay? Why did I just think that!?

The school bell rang and Sun Ray and Cheeseball both stood up.

“Need a hoof?” Sun Ray stuck her hoof out and Jany grabbed it to stand up.

“Thanks, Sunny- I mean Sun Ray!” Jany stammered. She blushed in embarrassment and Fluffball gave her a knowing look.

“Ooooh, you two totally like each other!” Fluffball teased.

“No we don’t! I don’t like fillies!” Jany hissed, pushing Fluffball into the snow.

“Hey! What was that for?!”

“Payback,” Jany smiled evilly and then walked inside the schoolhouse.


After a long morning of super boring science and staring at Cinnamon all class, it was finally time for recess. Everypony ran outside in their hats and scarves and the Cutie Mark Crusaders with Cheeseball all went to their favorite tree in the playground.

“Guys, we should try ice sculpting!” Fluffball suggested.

“What? Why?” Jany asked.

“To get our cutie marks, DUH!” Fluffball replied.

“Oh yeah,” Jany said.

“Did you forget we’re Cutie Mark Crusaders?!” asked Sun Ray.

“No! I’m just distracted,” Jany responded. Fluffball smirked again and Jany rolled her eyes.

She saw the cute colt slowly walking up to them. Wait- cute?! She blushed again and Fluffball smirked again. But then their friends all saw Cinnamon approaching.

“What is he doing here?” Sun Ray glared at him.

Cinnamon looked scared and he looked at Jany for reassurance. She gave him a smile and a nod, and he smiled back.

“I wanna say somethin’ to y’all,” he started.

“It better not be another insult,” Fluffball said.

“No, it's not. I wanted to tell y’all that I’m sorry. I really really regret everythin’ I’ve said to y’all. I don’t know why I said any of it! Chaos magic is actually really great! I was just really insecure about my own looks and projectin’ it onto y’all. And Sun Ray, I’m so sorry for makin’ fun of your dyscalculia. I was a terrible pony. I don’t expect y’all to forgive me, but I hope that we could start over?” He apologized. Jany’s friends were all shocked. They sat there in silence until finally somepony said something.

“Do you really mean that?” Sun Ray asked, hopeful.

“Yeah. You’re my favorite cousin and you always have been, and I’ve been so sad not bein’ your friend anymore.”

“I don’t know if I can forgive you just yet, but I’d love to start over,” Sun Ray replied. Cinnamon grinned and hugged his cousin. She hugged him back.

“I agree, I also don’t think I can forgive you until I can see you’ve changed,” Fluffball said.

“Yeah, I understand. I don’t know if I would forgive me, either,” Cinnamon responded.

“I’m with Fluffball on this one,” Cheeseball said. Jany’s friends turned to her.

“What about you, Jany?” Fluffball asked.

“Umm… Yeah, I agree with Fluffball,” she replied. Fluffball smiled and Cinnamon walked away. The Cutie Mark Crusaders spent the rest of their recess trying to find their cutie marks in the snow.