• Published 10th Jul 2017
  • 1,288 Views, 76 Comments

The Tail of Robin Jack - CartoonNerd12



An Equestria Girls AU. When Prince Blueblood raises the taxes on everyone in the kingdom it's up to one girl and her merry band to help.

  • ...
6
 76
 1,288

An Outlaw's Destiny

Author's Note:

Okay, I'm going to do a double update on this because I don't when I'll be able to upload the next time. I know the story seems slow right now but the action will pick up in later chapters. So please any input would be great as long it's helpful and respectful.

A few weeks had passed as Rainbow Dash walked down the dirt road toward to where the Apple farm was or it was the Apple farm. As such Lord Trenderhoof had made himself at home by having feasts every night and invited the local nobility over every time. It anger Rainbow Dash to no end how her friend and her family were force to leave all they had because of Blueblood's tax laws. But with the farm repossessed and a new owner in charge of it there's not much Rainbow could do.

Then when she was near the Everfree Forest she saw a soldier patrolling and just when she was about to past him, he let out a low wolf whistle. That made her stop in her tracks and glared back at him.

He said in a smooth talking voice, "And just where is a pretty lass like you venturing off to?"

Rainbow dryly replied, "I'm just walking around. I like taking walks in the countryside."

He cocked a brow, "By yourself? Without an escort?"

Rainbow placed her hands on her hips and scowled, "I can handle myself just fine thanks."

He slowly moved toward her, "Can you now?" he leaned in and whispered low in her ear, "Perhaps you like to show me…"

Rainbow gasped and smacked the guard's face making him fall to the ground. She started to run but the guard quickly picked himself up and chased after her. Making her think.

Of course I just had to leave my sword at home! Good thinking, Rainbow Dash!

She kept on running but she could feel the pervert man getting close to her.

He told her, "Come on! Be a good wench! I promise you'll love it!"

"Ew! No!" she called back.

"Aw, but it's been so long since I've had company."

"No! Just leave me alone!"

He was just inches from grabbing her when an arrow suddenly struck him in the leg causing him to yell in pain. Rainbow Dash looked back and saw the soldier kneeling to the ground holding his injured appendage. Then a voice from the trees called out.

"I believe the lady said, no."

Rainbow's eyes widen realizing she knew that voice and uttered, "Applejack?"

High in a tree, Applejack showed herself wearing a tattered tunic and pants made of different cloth. She was holding a makeshift bow that was close to her height. Rainbow also noticed the arrow that the guard had in his leg was handmade as well.

The soldier grunted in pain as he addressed Applejack, "You'll pay for that! By order of the Sheriff of Canterlot, you are under arrest!"

But Applejack ignored him as she asked her friend, "Dash, you alright?"

"Yeah, thanks to you." she smiled up at her.

AJ made a bow, "Then I bid you a safe journey home." she was about to take her leave when Dash called out.

"Whoa-whoa! You're just going to leave just like that?! I haven't seen you in almost a month!"

Applejack told her, "And it's better this way…" but she didn't sound sure of that. "Just tell the girls that I'm fine and that my family is fine too." she jumped on to another tree and then another.

With a scowl on her face, Rainbow proclaimed, "Oh no, you don't! I'm not going to let you get away that easily!" she climbed onto the tree and started making jumps to catch up with her.

Soon they found themselves near a stream with two large tree branches making a bridge over the running water. Applejack started crossing before looking back and saw Rainbow at the shore line.

"Rainbow, you know I'm outlaw now, which means you can't be talkin' to me without you gettin' arrested for consorting with the enemy."

"Well I'm glad to see you living in these woods hasn't made you lose your stubbornness…" the rainbow-haired woman muttered cynically.

"Believe me when I say I was happy to see you again even though I had to get that creep that was pursing ya. Speaking of… Why in the world were you swordless?!"

Rainbow defended, "I thought I didn't need it today! I was walking around like I normally do when that worm tried to put the moves on me!"

AJ face-palmed and said, "Dash, you know that women have it hard as it is and there are men out there that will take advantage of that, I should know! When the sheriff and Lord Trenderhoof came to us about our taxes that Trenderhoof tried to get me to marry him just so we could keep the farm!"

Rainbow gasped and yelled, "He did what?! That sneaky, no good…"

Applejack quickly added before her friend started using words that were frown upon in society, "Yes, I was just as appalled afterwards. Tell me has he at least been takin' care of the place?"

Dash slightly cooled down as she replied, "Yeah, so far, but he's been having these feasts and been inviting other nobles over to enjoy them with him."

The straw-haired woman uttered dryly, "Figures… He takes the land that has been in my family for generations and he just makes himself at home… I'll bet he doesn't even know the first thing about farming."

Rainbow mentioned, "And it sure hasn't been easy on the town since he took over, you know how you made apple deliveries to the Cakes' bakery? Well now that you and your family are stuck here, there's no more apples and some of us are starting to go hungry."

Applejack's eyes widen in shock.

Dash lifted a hand and continued, "There's more. The taxes have gotten worst, now it's up to 200 bits per month."

AJ shouted, "What?! That's outrageous!"

"Yup, and it'll be a matter of time before we all go broke and will have to make a run for it just like you did. So I might as well come with you and see how you been surviving out here."

Applejack gave it a moment of thought before stating, "Okay, how's this, you have to best me in a battle of staffs and only then will I take you to my camp."

"Why? Don't you trust me? I thought we were friends."

"We are and it's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of endurance. The family and I have been living here for a few weeks now and we've been barely making it. We have to eat and we've started growing our own crops but still we need more than grain in our bellies… Out of respect for Fluttershy, I've kept away from hunting any animal that comes my way."

Rainbow nodded in understanding as there was no mistaking their friend's vegan ways with her being a companion to all living creatures. Then she asked, "But why the bow and arrow then? If it's not used for hunting?"

"For protection of course. In case an animal did attack me and the family or if the sheriff's men finally did pluck up the courage to venture into the forest."

"Okay, just so we're clear on this, we do a battle of staffs and if I defeat you then you'll take me with you to live here?"

"Right, I need you to understand what you're getting into because if you join me, there's no going back."

"Like I want to go back there!"

AJ furrowed her brow and inquired, "What about Scootaloo?"

Rainbow's breath wavered and her eyes casted down, "Oh… I didn't even…"

"See? That's what I'm talkin' about. Can you live without seeing her again? And the rest of our friends? To endure not only the wilderness but to not see your loved ones for a very long time?"

"Now wait-a-minute, you saw me didn't you? And I saw you, so how do you know the same will not happen for me and Scootaloo?"

Applejack paused to think about that and admitted, "I can't. How we came across each other was something completely out of the ordinary."

"Or maybe it was the call of destiny!" Rainbow proclaimed while lifting her arms high in the air.

"Destiny for what?"

"The destiny of us being outlaws together to help our town!"

"And what would we be helping them with?" she frowned, "We're in no position to help anyone financially."

"No, but we can do other things! Just think about it, under the cover of darkness, we rescue anyone whose close to ruin and help fend off starvation. You said you had crops growing, right? So, we feed the poor and if anyone is about to get arrested, we bring them here!"

For a moment it seem like Applejack was considering the possibility before she shook her head, "No… it's… it's too dangerous, we can't… we shouldn't…"

Rainbow suddenly picked up two long sticks and threw one to AJ. When the outlaw caught it she gaped at the feisty girl.

"Let's raise the stakes then. If I win you take me in as a fellow outlaw and we'll work together to make the village a better place despite the corruption that's been happening."

Applejack slowly smirked, "And if I win, you go back to town and you'll have to pinkie-promise not to take any risks on coming to see me and you'll have to make sure the girls do the same."

"Deal!" she spit in her hand and Applejack did the same before shaking on it.

Then the two of them took position on the wooden bridge. Their staffs touching the other as they readied themselves for the fight. Rainbow gave the signal.

"Ready… set… go!"

The battle of staffs began as their rods clashed with a hollow sound, with both girls trying to get the upper hand.

Dash commented, "You've been practicing."

Applejack smirked, "Well I had a lot of free time on my hands."

"I seem to recall you used to falter on your stance, looks like you've mastered it."

"Coming from you that's a big compliment!" she came close to knocking Dash off but the latter managed to miss it in time.

She smugly replied, "Naturally, I was your teacher." this time she swung her stick at her but Applejack dodged it in record time.

They kept on bantering as they fought but eventually Rainbow got the better of Applejack and the once farm girl fell into the stream getting wet.

"Ah-ha! I did it!" Dash did a slight jig, "I beat ya! Now we have to work together!"

Applejack got up and squirted water from her mouth before climbing back up on the trees that made a bridge. She stated as she wrangled her wet clothes and hair, "You sure you won?" she gave a coy smile, "Maybe I let you won…"

Rainbow gawked, "What?! No way!"

AJ shrugged, "I guess you'll never know." she started walking across the bridge while picking up her bow and turned to Rainbow still standing there in shock, "You comin'?"

Dash composed herself and followed after her friend.