• Published 10th Jul 2017
  • 1,287 Views, 76 Comments

The Tail of Robin Jack - CartoonNerd12



An Equestria Girls AU. When Prince Blueblood raises the taxes on everyone in the kingdom it's up to one girl and her merry band to help.

  • ...
6
 76
 1,287

Into the Forest

Sheriff Gladmane and Lord Trenderhoof walked down the dirt path leading to the farmhouse with Trenderhoof saying, "Oh, breathtaking! To stand in the soil of a working farm… You can really feel the authenticity!"
Gladmane just replied, "I guess so. But it's a good thing you like it, because it'll all be yours if they can't pay all their taxes."
As they got closer to the house, Trenderhoof's eyes kept wandering around taking in the scenery. The Sheriff then approached the door and knocked. There was a pause before a young woman opened it and saw the two visitors. Trenderhoof spotted her then and his eyes widen in wonder. To him she was the loveliest woman he ever met.
Gladmane spoke to her, "Sheriff Gladmane of Canterlot, milady, and this is Lord Trenderhoof. We request a word with the master of the house."
Applejack was hesitant about letting them in especially the one that kept staring at her strangely but in the end she permitted them inside. Once she called for Big Mac, he, Apple Bloom, and Granny came into the room.
Mac addressed them, "Can I help you gentlemen?"
Gladmane smirked, "You can in fact… You can help us by paying the rest of your taxes…"
The family frowned at his words with Mac saying, "And if we can't?"
Gladmane tsked, "Then I will have no choice but to arrest you."
They gasped with Applejack declaring, "You can't do that!"
The Sheriff gestured, "Oh, but I can. By order of the Prince, I must arrest anyone who can't pay for their taxes."
Apple Bloom held onto her brother while shouting, "No!"
Trenderhoof suddenly spoke up, "Sheriff, please, obviously they're in trouble and don't wish to split up the family, something I can respect. So I would like to make an offer." he went up to Applejack and took her hand.
Applejack was confused by this but once he spoke again she understood completely.
"I always wanted to own a farm but I never could seem to find the right one, until now. This is a beautiful place and with such a beautiful lady to go with it. I have not had the fortunate to settle down but now, I feel as though I can…" he kneeled on one leg causing her sister and Granny to gasp. While Applejack was speechless, "Please, won't you tell me your name?"
She said uncomfortably, "It's um, Applejack…"
He sighed in awe, "Applejack… a lovely name for a lovely lady…" then he turned to the Gladmane, "Sheriff, when I take this woman as my wife and I shall pay off all their debts."
Mac, Apple Bloom, and Granny gawked at this declaration while Applejack stood frozen from the Lord's words because as generous as he was being right now at the same time he was practically forcing her into marriage with him when she didn't know anything about him!
Gladmane gave a smug look and said to the Apple family, "Well now… that certainly changes everything. Shall I send for a priest right this second?"
That made Applejack snap out of it as she proclaimed, "Now wait-just-a-minute!" she addressed Trenderhoof, "Now look, this is very generous of you but I simply don't know anything about you and well, I… I always wanted to marry for love. Like the way my mama and papa did." she looked at her family and saw their sad smiles. But when she looked back at Trenderhoof she could see he was unpleased by this.
He told her, "But I'm offering the security of your family's farm, all you have to do is marry me and you shall have it."
She bit her lip before she slowly backed away from him, "And believe me, I want to keep our home but what kind-of life could two strangers have?"
Big Mac said to him, "I agree with my sister."
Gladmane clicked his tongue, "Well now, that is a shame. You could have gotten out of your financial troubles by simply marrying off the girl… But if that is your decision…" he slowly got out a rope but Applejack was prepared as she shouted.
"Now!"
On cue the family made a break for it and ran outside the house. Gladmane ran out and shouted to his nearby soldiers, "Stop them!"
The family saw the guards running after them and were going as fast as they can but Granny was on the slow side.
The elderly woman panted, "I don't think… I'll be able to run much further… You three go on without me… I've already lived a full life…"
Apple Bloom declared, "No! We're not leaving without you!"
Applejack agreed, "Apple Bloom's right! Look we're almost to the forest, we're going to be fine!"
Mac proclaimed, "Eeyup!"
They kept on running while helping their grandmother and just when it seemed the soldiers were about to catch them they made it into the forest making the guards stopped at the entrance. Gladmane joined them and demanded.
"Why did you stop?!"
One guard answered, "We dare not go any further."
Another guard said, "I heard this place was cursed!"
There were murmurs of agreements.
Gladmane wasn't a suspicious man but at the same time he too had heard the rumors of what went on in the forest. Monsters and witches roamed in its domain, and if the Apple family was crazy enough to go there then they were more than welcome to.
He told his soldiers, "Very well, but I want patrols around the forest because if they so much as step out of there, I want you to arrest them on the spot."
The guards saluted at his orders and began to carry them out.
Lord Tenderhoof appeared beside the sheriff, "If I may Sheriff Gladmane, but if you so happen to come across the young woman, I would like to have her delivered to me so we may properly wed."
Gladmane furrowed his brow at him, "You'd still want her even after she flat out rejected your proposal?"
Trenderhoof shrugged, "She is unlike any lady I've ever met and her running off like that makes her all the more desirable."
Gladmane rolled his eyes but said, "If we ever come across her, rest assured she will be brought to you."


Apple Bloom gasped in wonder to the isolated area that was behind the waterfall. She faced her grandmother, "Granny, you knew this place was here all this time?!"
Granny had set herself down on the grass as she replied, "Sure did. This was my secret hideaway until I married your grandfather and started to raise your father."
Applejack told her, "You rest now, Granny, while Big Mac and I start building a shelter."
Apple Bloom inquired, "What do I do?"
"You can start forging for nuts and berries, we got to eat after all."
Apple Bloom exclaimed, "You got it!" she started running off.
Applejack called out, "Don't go too far! We still don't know much about this part of the forest!"
"Okay!" her sister called back before she disappeared behind some bushes.
In moments, Applejack and Big Macintosh had built a hut just as Apple Bloom came back with an apron full of nuts and berries. Mac then gathered firewood and made a campfire. When night had fallen the family sat around the fire with Apple Bloom asking.
"Is this our home now?"
Applejack exchanged looks with Granny and Big Mac before she told her sister, "For now… Hopefully when Queen Celestia and Princess Luna come back the taxes will go back down and the farm will be return to us…"
"But when will that be?"
Applejack shook her head sadly, "I don't know…"
"Does this mean we're outlaws now?"
The adults exchanged another look before Mac stated, "Eeyup."
Applejack sighed, "Well we did resist arrest and couldn't pay our taxes so in a way we are."
"Does this mean we can't see our friends again?" AB's lip trembled.
Applejack felt tears in the corner of her eyes. Her sister's words greatly impacted on her when she realized that in just one day she lost her home and her friends, not to mention her freedom. They couldn't leave the forest without the risk of getting arrested. For it seem that Applejack would never see Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Pinkie for a very long time.


The rumor mill was churning in the tavern where the girls were as they listened to the news about the Apple family being force to run after they were threaten to pay their taxes.
Cranky Donkey declared for all to hear, "See? That Sheriff Gladmane has driven them off their land! I told you that Prince Blueblood was going to ruin us all!"
There were mutters of agreement.
The barkeeper kept on ranting, "He's the reason we're in this mess! Since now those poor Apples are force to fend for themselves in those dark woods!"
Pinkie sniffed, "Oh, Applejack! We'll never see her again!" she bawled away as Rarity wrapped a comforting arm around her.
"Yes, I know, dear… Sweetie Belle was just beside herself when she heard the news…"
Rainbow somberly nodded, "Yeah… Scootaloo tried not to show it but I could tell she was on the verge of crying… After all, Apple Bloom was her friend and they spent a great deal together…"
Rarity shook her head, "Our dear sisters won't be able to heal from this anytime soon… Frankly, I'm not sure if I'll be able to heal from this anytime soon." she admitted with sorrow.
Fluttershy inquired, "Do we really know for sure they're gone?"
Rainbow touched her back, "Flutters, no one can survive that forest not even the Apples who are tough as nails…" she slowly broke down, "They're… they're goners…" she turned away to hide her tears.
That convinced Fluttershy since Rainbow was never one to give up hope. The young pink-haired woman started crying herself.
Mrs. Cake came up to them and tried to offer her condolences since she was just as upset with the Apples going into the forest. She already lost her best friend who was the Apple siblings' mother that it felt she lost her friend all over again. Other ladies in the tavern then offered their sympathy being Cheerilee, Matilda, and Derpy Hooves.
Indeed, the situation looked grim.