• Published 10th Jul 2017
  • 1,719 Views, 50 Comments

The Guardian From Afar 3: Return to Earth - LukeTheMercenary



William gets taken away from Scootaloo, and taken off the face of Equestria. He ends up back on Earth, and faced with a challenge that he thought he would never have to overcome.

  • ...
3
 50
 1,719

Bunker Betrayal

"Will..." Some static followed, "Will..."

I was sleeping, or at least TRYING to. It was the night of the escape, but I was still trying to snooze.

"WILLIAM! GET YOUR LAZY ASS UP!" A staticy voice yelled.

I jumped up from my bed. I noticed that my cell was pitch-black, except for a flashlight that was lit. The light of the flashlight was pointed at a two-way radio device, and it was on. I picked up the radio and spoke into it.

"Hello? Who's there?" I asked.

"Hey Will. You ready?" the voice asked.

"Is that you, Luke?"

"No."

"Then...who is it?"

"DEEZ NUTS!" The voice from behind burst with laughter.

"Very funny, Luke," I said, "I know it's you."

"Okay, you got me," Luke said, his voice still combined with static.

"What's with the flashlight? And why is it pitch-black in here?"

"Yeeeeaaaah...um...so...we have a change of plans."

I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, "What..."

"So...the bunker is on lockdown because they figured out someone is gonna mess with the portal..."

"What difference does that make?"

"They turned off the lights and turned on the bunker's security features. I'm in the control room right now."

"Where's James?"

"He's in the storage room. I'm watching him on the cameras. I'm in charge of the cameras right now, so don't be alarmed. I will guide you to the storage room, and help you avoid traps along the way."

"Traps? What do you-"

"I'm opening your cell door now. Grab that flashlight, and proceed down the hall. I will communicate with you with this radio."

Suddenly, my cell door opened by itself. I picked up the flashlight and walked out. The hallway was pretty dark, my only light source was the flashlight in my hand. It was pretty quiet at first. I began walking down the hall while Luke guided me.

"Okay, we're approaching the first trap. Listen, this place really likes turrets. There are two types: stationary and SUGV. SUGV stands for 'Small Unmanned Ground Vehicle.' It is a small robot that patrols the halls with a little machine gun on it. If it detects unauthorized personnel, it will shoot them on sight. You're approaching a stationary turret right now. It has an eye that looks for a device that we call 'tesla packs.' These backpacks are only for emergencies and have an electrical current running through them. If you pass a turret while wearing this, it'll assume you're authorized and won't shoot. I left you a tesla pack in the room to the right. Go grab it." Luke said.

I went to an office to the right and saw a backpack with two metal devises sticking out of the sides. I flipped a switch, and the devices had electricity running through them. I put it on and proceeded through the hall. I approached an area where the hall intersects with another and saw a laser beam going down the other hall.

"Stay calm, Will," Luke said, "Nice and easy. It's just a Gatling gun that could shred you to pieces in less than a second. As long as your tesla pack is on, you'll be fine."

"Gee...thanks for the help, asshole." I said into the radio.

I walked in front of the laser, and shined my light at the turret. It was horrifying to look at. Imagine a minigun with a red eye in the middle. Coming out of the eye was a red beam of light. It must've noticed my tesla pack, because it didn't even move. I continued to do down the hall, occasionally passing a trap while Luke guided and sometimes taunted me. Finally, I reached the storage room. I saw James sitting on a crate, drinking a can of soda.

"James." I said, not needing to shout.

"Will. Glad to see you made it past the traps." He responded.

"Yeah," I said, pulling off my tesla pack.

"You guys there?" Luke asked via the radio.

"Yeah. Now what?"

"Okay. I'm gonna start overriding the water pressure. Stay away from the wall, this will get messy. It'll also cause quite a racket. Will, if you truly want to see your daughter again...get ready for a fight." Luke said.

"Copy that."

James and I stopped chatting and popped open one of the wooden crates. Sure enough, there were a bunch of old WW2 guns inside. I wanted to find something that looked relatively modern. I pulled out this gun that looked like an AK-47, but different.

"An STG44," James said, "Good find. Ammo should still be in the mag."

I chambered a bullet, and set it to "AUTO." I then took a seat on a nearby crate.

"What's the matter?" James asked as he pulled out an M1 Garand.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I asked.

"You look a bit glum."

"I guess...I guess I just miss my loved ones, is all."

James approached me and put a hand on my shoulder, "Look on the bright side: You're gonna see them really soon. Hopefully, this will only take about thirty minutes."

"Thanks, James."

"Heh, you know...I remember the face you made when you first met me. You looked like you wanted to KILL me!"

"That's because I did...but I don't anymore. I know you're not like them."

"That means a lot, man. You know...it means a lot to Luke, too."

"Really? I didn't know he had any emotions. Aside from, 'you pissed me off, time to die' kinds of feelings."

"Take it easy on the guy. He may seem like a jerk, but he's had a very troubling past."

"How so?"

"He was bullied a lot in school, and his girlfriend committed suicide. That enough for you?"

"Damn...is that why he's...well, a jerk?"

"When his girlfriend died, he just kind of lost the will to go on. He didn't care about what others thought about him. The commander of this bunker found him, and trained him for years. Luke was so good at his job, he signed up to be an elite. Luke may seem to be the funny, jerky kind of guy...but that's just how he covers up his hurt."

"Damn...I didn't know that. Well...hopefully, he'll find and have a better life in Equestria. I found a purpose to live there...no doubt he will."

I heard a loud creaking noise coming from above us. I looked at the wall, and saw water dripping down where we wanted the portal to form...however, it wasn't enough. The radio buzzed, and I heard Luke talking again.

"Guys? Uhh...we have a problem...again..." Luke said.

"Of course there is," I said to the radio, "Because the world's always gonna try and stop me from being with my loved ones."

"I know, right?" Luke said, a hint of sarcasm in his tone, "Because travelling to another world is supposed to be sooo easy."

"Yeah yeah. What's the issue?"

"Guys...they're not going to burst. However, there's a LOT of pressure building up in the pipes. If you find something to blow them up, we can get the water flowing...and we can get this portal started!"

"And...how do you suppose we do that?"

"Check the crates! Look for something that explodes! A grenade, a land mine, a rocket launcher, something!"

I groaned. James and I began looking through the wooden crates for an explosive device. We looked for a while, and then I found an odd device. It looked like a yellow tube with a cone on one end. I flicked up the sights and examined it.

"Hey James!" I said, "What is this?"

"Hm...that's a German Panzerfaust. Rocket launcher." He replied.

"Faust..."

"What?"

"Something about that word only makes me more homesick."

"Well, let's not waste any more time! Blow that ceiling to pieces!"

I pointed the device at the ceiling just above the wall that we wanted the portal to be on. I flipped up the sights, aimed, and pressed down on the switch. The launch itself made a loud bang, but when the rocket hit the ceiling, it sounded like a BOMB exploded. Instantly, the water began pouring all over the place.

"YEE HAW!" I yelled in excitement as the water poured like Niagara Falls.

"Luke," James said into the radio, "The water's pouring."

"I know," Luke said, "I heard the explosion! I'm turning on the portal device. Start putting the crates on the conveyer belts, and be quick! That explosion could be heard throughout the entire bunker!"

James and I started loading the heavy wooden crates onto the conveyer belts. Suddenly, the water on the wall turned into a fiery orange. The conveyer belts suddenly started moving...an the crates we placed onto them were now going into the portal, and fast.

"Portal device on! Ten-minute countdown starting now! I'm coming to help...until then, you've got multiple hostile units heading for your location! Give them hell!" Luke said via the radio.

Sure enough, we heard footsteps coming in from the hallway to the right. James and I hid behind some boxes, and the men came in. We counted seven armed men, but they didn't notice us. I peeked from cover and looked at James. I signaled that we go on three. I counted down with my fingers, and when I hit zero...we jumped up and fired at the men. They didn't see it coming, and were caught off-guard. We took them down pretty easily.

"That's what you get for kidnapping me!" I yelled.

James continued to load stuff onto the conveyer belt while I looked for ammo. I then noticed that there were inactivated turrets in the room, and I got an idea. I saw a control panel on the wall that had the words "TURRET CONTROLS" above it. I looked over the switches, and looked over the part that controlled what the turrets fired at. I flipped the switch to "TESLA PACKS," and the turrets came on. Right when that happened, two more guards ran in. However, they were taken down almost instantly by the turrets.

"Good thinking," James said, "Now the turrets will target the people WITH the tesla packs instead of those without!"

This was good, because it made the task of putting the crates through the portal MUCH easier. After six minutes, we heard one of the air vents being banged on. James and I pointed our guns up at it, and saw Luke jump out and land on the ground.

"Did ya miss me?" Luke asked.

"Yeah yeah, EVERYBODY can't get enough of you." James said.

"Damn straight. Now, how's the crates?"

"Almost done," I said, "Just a few more."

"Good, because we only got two minutes left. Let's be quick."

We tossed in the last five crates for the next minute, until we were finally done. Luke already jumped into the portal, and James was about to. I suddenly realized something.

"WHERE'S MY RIFLE?!" I asked.

"Will, we only have a minute left until the portal explodes!" James said.

"That rifle is important to me! Tell me where it is!"

"Ugh! It's in Finn's office! The first room to the right! Go!"

I bolted down the hall and ran straight into Finn's office. I set my STG44 down and grabbed my rifle. I then noticed that the scope was missing, but I didn't have time to worry about that. Suddenly, I felt someone grab me. I turned to see Finn, and he punched me in the face...knocking me to the ground.

"You destroy our work, and kill personnel...how barbaric are you, pony boy?" he asked.

I was not having it. I grabbed Finn's leg and viciously bit his ankle. Not hard enough to draw blood...but enough for it to hurt. He screamed, and fell to the floor. I strapped my rifle to my back and grabbed my STG44. I ran as fast as my legs could take me down the hall, and jumped straight into the portal. This time, I was prepared. I fell through the portal, and it was like flying through a tunnel. After a few seconds, I flew through an opening...and landed in a forest.

The crates were scattered everywhere. I looked around for Luke and James.

"William!" Luke said, running to me.

"What?!" I asked.

"The portal's gonna explode any second!"

Sure enough, the portal became a deep shade of red. It began buzzing and making all these other noises.

"HIT THE DIRT!" Luke yelled as he pulled me down behind some rocks.

Right after that happened, I heard a loud explosion. Like, deafeningly loud. It was so loud, many of the leaves on the trees flew off.


Scootaloo was at Sweet Apple Acres, helping Apple Bloom with her chores. Apple Bloom was trying her best to cheer her friend up, but she just couldn't do it.

"Everypony is saying he's...gone," Scootaloo said, "It's been ten months, and he's never returned."

"Don't listen to a single thing they're sayin'. You're daddy's tough. I'll bet he's makin' his way here right now." Apple Bloom said.

Right when she finished saying that, they heard a loud explosion. Suddenly, it was like an extremely powerful gust of wind was hitting the farm. It was so strong, it broke the windows. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom flew into the wall. The ripe apples on the trees outside flew off and either hit the barn, or fell on the ground. The bails of hay outside also flew off and hit the wall. Suddenly, it went quiet. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom got off the ground, and looked at each other.

"What was that?" they asked in unison.

They got up and went downstairs, to see Applejack trying to fix the mess.

"Applejack! What was that?!" Apple Bloom asked.

"I don't know...it...seemed like it came from the Everfree Forest..." AJ responded.

Scootaloo froze up fro a second, before bolting out the door. Applejack and her sister quickly chased after her.

"Scootaloo! Where are you going?!" Apple Bloom yelled.


"WOO HOO! Oh yeah! I wanna do that again!" Luke yelled as he jumped up and down.

"Wow...what a ride! That was intense!" James yelled.

"Yeah," I said, "The first time I went through the portal, I fainted."

"Ha! Wuss!" Luke yelled.

"Yeah yeah, laugh it up."

"Well, Will," James said, "You know Equestria better than any of us. Where are we right now?"

I looked around. It was a creepy forest, but there was a clearing not too far away. It suddenly hit me like a brick.

"Guys, we're in the Everfree! This is where I first arrived!" I yelled.

"Epic. Now, how are we gonna carry all these guns and ammo?" Luke asked.

"Forget that! We can do it later! For now, I have a daughter and a marefriend to be reunited with!"

"Fine. In that case...let's make like a nose, and 'blow' out of here."

With that said, we made our way down the path. Once we went through the clearing, the fresh Equestrian air hit me again. It felt AMAZING. That combined with the beauty of Equestria was enough to make a man cry. Why do I say that? We looked at Luke and saw a tear going down his face.

"Luke, are you crying?" James asked.

"Huh? No. Not me. Get outta here, tear." Luke said as he wiped his face and slapped himself a little.

We continued to walk through the large field, and I saw Ponyville. Almost home, Scoots. I thought to myself. Daddy is almost home.

Author's Note:

William had finally made it back to Equestria, and blew up the portal device in the process! Oh well, no skin off his nose.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! More will be coming soon! :raritystarry: