• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 1,991 Views, 41 Comments

Me and My bow - Windsocks



In a vice to get money for his rent, Erik takes a risk that ends him up in Canterlot with only his violin and bow.

  • ...
5
 41
 1,991

Chapter Seven - Invintations

A couple weeks passed by as fall made way for winter. Trees shedding their leaves, ponies adorned their scarves, all the while the festive spirit was spreading like a wildfire. As for the city; it now sported a completely different atmosphere. A soft white blanket of snow now coated the many streets, lamps, and branches as it slowly cascaded down from the clouds above.

Taking in the beautiful yet chilling weather, I smiled to myself. Reminiscing over the past week and recalling all of the important events that had taken place.

Octavia mostly kept to her promise. Every time she had an opening in her schedule; she would drop by The Well Bean to see me perform. On the more dire side of things, I seemed to have struck the proverbial gold mine meeting a stallion named Fine Spool. One of which introduced me to another stallion whom’s name I have regrettably forgotten.

Either way, he just so happened to be a pony that worked off of custom orders. Since I was of alien origin, -unbeknown to the pony populist- a custom-made ensemble was a must.

With a heavy heart and a couple hundred bits down the drain, I was able to get myself a nice pair of wool mittens, fake fur ushanka, and a nice warm jacket. The only thing missing now would be a scarf, but that could always wait. For as of right now I was on the hunt for a house.

That's right, after living in a hotel room for well over a month, I’ve come to the conclusion that I could probably afford to rent a place out. Seeing as getting out of this place was turning out to be bleak at best.

Nevertheless, I kept my hopes and chin held high as the third day of house hunting dawned. Funnily enough, money wasn't the one stopping me -for once in my life- from getting a place. In fact, it was all due to the idea that I was not a citizen here and held no identification. Not only that but when the honest mares and stallions asked me for a credit check, I had nothing to show them. Which if you ever rented a place where two very important things to have. Especially if you intended to live in the city. Which for me was a must if I ever wanted to continue my job as a street performer.

So here I am, walking down the streets looking for any bulletins or signs posted on the windows and/or doors of shops and houses. The snow that lazily floated down from above was my only constant companion as I made my way from house to house.

Third time's the charm, as the saying goes. Reaching the next building on the street my eyes immediately snapped to the sign hanging on the window.

“Room for rent, the first pony with the bits gets it.” It read.

To me, this was just what I was looking for. Not because he was renting a room out -I had been to many places renting out their rooms- but because he seemed to be in a hurry to get the bits in his hooves. If I played my cards right, acted as normal as an alien could act, then maybe I had a chance at getting a room here with no background check.

Entering the building a solitary door chime rang out as I made my way to the stallion behind the bar. His mane was messy as his tired eyes looked at me with warmth. Since I didn’t even look at what kind of building I was entering; I was pleasantly surprised to see a small almost cafe-like restaurant.

Just like The Well Bean, this place had a large window out front with multiple tables against it. However, that's where the similarities ended. While The Well Bean held a more modern look to it, this place had a more rustic and cozy vibe to it. Potted plants were in every corner, the walls and floor were made out of wood, an old fashion stove was burning in the back as the trusses holding the roof up were visible. The entire place was lit by candles casting a warm amber glow across the room.

“What can I get for you today sir?” The old worn out pony asked. He continued to smile as he polished off a wine glass with a rag.

“A room sir,” I stated back.

The old pony smiled at my antics as he walked around the table, “Ah, so you’ve come to check out the room?” He questioned again only to continue, “It’s pretty small, but the rent is cheap.”

“As long as I can fit a bed in there and there’s a shower somewhere that's all I need,” I replied following the stallion towards the back of the restaurant.

The old pony chuckled at my words, “Well it's got a bit more than that as you can see.”

Pushing past the back door lead me to an equally cozy room. It was empty mind you, but it held the same exact same architecture as the restaurant. The room was easily big enough for not only a bed but a couch as well. On the far end of the room was a loft where a large glass sliding door revealed the city park. Above the loft was a bit small for my tastes but I could see myself putting my bed up there just to sleep. As for the bathroom, it was through a door at the back of the loft.

Like the pony said the whole place was pretty small. Smaller than my apartment back on Earth. But, seeing as I would be the only one living here, and I would only use it to sleep and shower, it was perfect. Not to mention the added bonus that I could put a couch in the loft to chill and the park right in my backyard.

“I can see you’re taking a liking to the place.” The pony commented.

Nodding my head, I walked over towards the loft to get a better look at the bathroom, “This place is amazing, I’m surprised you haven't rented it out already.”

“Yup, it’s a pretty cozy place. Most ponies don’t like the fact that it’s attached to my restaurant. If you don't mind the noise coming from next door, then it’s just like any other room for rent in Canterlot.” He started walking with me throughout the room.

Looking back over to the stallion I just realized I haven't even introduced myself, “I’m sorry, but I forgot to introduce myself, I’m Erik.”

Smiling back at me the pony shook my hand, “Nice to meet you, Erik, I’m Second Cup.”

Internally I was laughing at the reference to the cafe back on Earth, but my mind also noted how well the name fit him. “Nice to meet you Second Cup, so how much is it gonna cost me to take this room off your hooves?”

“150 bits a month, of course, to take it right now its 300 for first and last, utilities are all included. As soon as I have the bits in my hooves then-” He didn’t even get to finish that sentence as I placed my bit pouch in his outstretched hoof, “Already got the bits, I think I’m gonna like having you as a tenant.”

“As long as the money keeps coming, I’m sure we'll get along fine,” I joked nudging him.

Chuckling at my joke he replied, “Indeed, let me just count out the coin and I’ll let you sign the agreement before I give you the keys.”

Just like that, he walked out of the room before coming back a couple seconds later with a piece of paper and a key on his back. How he managed to balance such light objects on his back without them flying away, I’ll never know.

“Alright here's the rent agreement. It just states that if you break any of my walls or other that you’ll pay for it. Mostly a formality so I can cover my flank in case you try to pull a fast one on me. Not like you will seeing as you’re a musician of sorts.” He pointed out the violin case that was strapped against my back.

Placing the parchment down I got to read it over. Just like he said, it was a formality covering his and my liability when it comes to damage. It was actually pretty normal if I broke something I would pay for it, if something broke by itself, he would fix it. Last on the rent agreement form was the ability to evict me with a month's notice should the need arise. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, or any fine print I signed the agreement.

“You my friend are now no longer homeless,” He chuckled taking the form back.

If only he knew how accurate his statement really was, “I can move in right away right?” I questioned just to be sure.

“Yup, here’s the key,” he commented tossing me the key, “here’s the rest of the bits,” He continued tossing me my much lighter bit pouch, “just use the back entrance instead of the front one. I like to keep my restaurant separate from my tenants.”

“No problem, they won't even know I’m here,” I said placing the key in my pocket. Reaching out my hand once again, I shook Second Cups hoof, “So does that mean I get a discount at your restaurant?” I state in a joking manner.

“In your dreams. I may be a kind old stallion, but I got to make a living somehow.” With that he made his way over to the front entrance, “I’ll come back here once a month to check up on the place and collect rent. Other than that she’s all yours.” And just like that, he left the building in my care.

I did it, I DID IT! I exclaimed in my mind looking at my new place. Not only did he fail to ask for any ID or credit checks, but the place he gave me was top notch compared to what I was expecting to get without said items. Looking back over the place I found another smile breach my lips.

Walking to the back entrance I opened the door and walked out. Closing the door behind me and locking it, I took in the park that bordered my new house. It wasn’t much to look at now with winter here but come spring I bet the place would look ten times better with all the flowers and trees in bloom.

“Well, time to start moving,” I commented to no one in particular as I made my way back to the main street.

I didn’t have much in the way of moving. To be honest, all I had left at the hotel was my clothes and satchel bag. Both of which would only require one trip back and forth. What got me worried was the number of bits I put down two days ago.

Seeing as the house hunting was going poorly when I first started. I opted to give myself another week by paying the hotel up front. The only question now is: can I get my bits back? Which if we were back on Earth would be an easy no. Seeing as most hotels -at least the fancy kind like I was staying at- book out their rooms far in advance. Simply leaving early does not mean you get the money back. Instead, it pays for the inconvenience of an empty room which otherwise would have been booked.

With that fresh in mind, I felt my mood waver as I stopped in front of The Well Bean. Like every other day, ponies walked by the shop on their ways to their duties.

Feeling the crisp winter wind roll on by as it pushed the snowflakes flakes around made my mind ignite with creativity. Inspiration from the near-perfect winter city made my right shoulder slump as the case to my violin spun around to the front.

Unclipping the clasps holding my violin at bay, I reached in and brought it to light. Ponies glanced at my actions, but most just continued on. Others knew me from previous days and stayed in wonder of what music I would bring to the table today.

Of course on a perfect winter day, I let my bow slid with the wind as the first notes of Winter from The Four Seasons by Antonio Vivaldi vibrate to life.

Never in all my life have I imagined a day where my music would fit the atmosphere so perfectly. Sure, I try to make my music match every time I play, but this was on a whole new level. It was almost as if this song was made for this day, or probably more accurately, the song was made from a day like this.

Closing my eyes, I slowly let myself melt into the music. Since this was a Vivaldi piece, I wanted nothing but perfection to exit my violin. Anything less was a disgrace to this masterpiece and to the composer as well.

Sharp, yet smoothly connected notes cut through the crowd as the pace increased. Ponies were now getting invested into the song as they tossed their bits into my case. Lucky for them their investment was not for nothing as I was going to play the whole piece clocking in at nine minutes and thirty seconds.

As the song neared the middle, I quickly albeit carefully transitioned to the second part. This part was much smoother than the rapid notes of the first section. Rather than show the harshness of the snowy months, this part reminded us of the beauty of it all.

My mind went to a warm place by the hearth, as I looked out into the still winter wonderland. A nice cup of tea held in my grip as the steam wafted the heavenly sent towards me. Outside the snow fell gently onto the already covered ground as the moonlight cast its glow over the area.

It had been a long time that I played a piece that brought my soul to another place. Yet, that is what music tends to do. Smiling at how much time and emotion was put into this song, I continued onto the third and last piece of Winter.

Like the second it started off smooth and flowing, but as it continued so did the tempo. It was a clash of the two parts: beauty and ferocity. At least when I listen to it that's what I hear. I’m sure when these ponies hear it they’ll have their own ideas. Ideas that I would never hear about as I slowly brought the whole piece to an end.

Expecting a similar response to my playing like all my other performances. I was delighted to hear them stomp their hooves hard and call out for another piece.

Smiling at my audience's approval, I did what they commanded as I started up another song. Instead of another winter song, I opted to play an Edvin Marton song. I was always a fan of his work, and this one just so happened to pop up as I placed my bow to the strings.

With his signature slow start. I lead the audience down a mysterious path of rich melodies as I prepared to show them what really made this song shine. With the sharp notes coming in, the pace really started to increase. Just from a glance I could see the ponies around me once again invest themselves into the song.

Continuing with the quick sharp notes, I effortlessly let them build up the stage for the long soothing notes. As they came around I let myself get into the song as well. Adding in my own flair, instead of continuing with the same octave I jumped up one adding to the grandeur of the song.

Increasing the pitch of the notes not only added in the oh-so-needed epicness the song lacked but set up for a butter-like smooth transition into the sharp notes.

Now don’t get me wrong, the piece as it was is amazing. I also strongly believe that the composer knows his work the best. For me to change it as I have done to many other songs could be viewed as an insult, but personally, I like to think it as an homage to the old bringing in a new twist.

Drumming up the notes, I eventually ended the song with a bang. Ponies all around once again cheered as they tossed in their bits. Bowing to their generosity I moved to pack up, that is until I saw a pair of gray hooves at the foot of my case.

Looking up at the mare, I smiled.

“Sorry miss, but the show's over,” I apologize.

Octavia took a step back, bringing her hoof to her muzzle, “The nerve, you’ll never get my bits that way.”

I just looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh come on! Get your mind out of the gutter Erik!” Octavia blushed, giving me a playful shove, “just for that I’m not going to tip you.”

“How about I one-up you on that offer and instead grab you a cup of tea?” I questioned bagging up the remaining coin. Nodding at the invitation, I packed up my violin and strapped it to my back, “Alright, green I presume?”

“Is there any other kind?”

“Well, there's black, white, yerba, herbal, r-”

And just like before I got another playful nudge, “You seem very lively today. Something good happened I presume?” Octavia pondered.

“Yeah, I just got a new place.”

“Really?” She replied stopping for a minute before giving me a questioning look, “Don’t you live in Manehatten though? I always thought you were in that hotel because you were going to go back. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m ecstatic that my favorite pony is staying in Canterlot.”

“Not a pony but thanks!” I say with a genuine smile, “due to unforeseen circumstances, I find myself unable to return for a while. So I decided it would be cheaper just to rent a place out.”

Nodding at my logic, both I and Octavia walked into The Well Bean, “so what are these unforeseen circumstances?” She continued air quoting the last part.

“Want the honest answer or the joke one?” I ask.

“Honest, then the joke one. I need a good laugh after all the stress I’ve been in today.” Octavia commented.

“My house is in another dimension or millions of miles away and I require some insane magic to get me back.” I state the honest one, “the coins better here.” I continue with the honest joke.

“I thought I said the honest was supposed to be first.”

Sighing sadly I nod, “I just wanted to catch you off guard. Guess it didn’t really work.”

“No, not really, but the joke was pretty bad as well.”

“Yeah, yeah, just order up,” I say bringing her attention towards the patiently waiting barista.

Giving me the evil eye, she turned back to the barista, “One green tea please, and one of those fruit muffins as well.”

Nodding to her order he looked towards me, “Make that two green tea’s and I’ll have the cheese danish.”

Grabbing our orders, me and Octavia made our way back to our now dubbed ‘spot’. Yet, before I could even take a sip of my drink, Octavia placed a ticket onto the table in front of me.

“Hmm, what’s this?” I question picking up the ticket.

Octavia burrowed her muzzle into her scarf as she said, “a ticket to the Canterlot Winter Concert.”

Looking over said ticket, I come to see just that written on it. ‘Canterlot Winter Concert’ was in a cursive font with a violin on one side of the ticket and a treble clef on the other. Under the large font, I caught a glimpse of who was performing.

“I get to watch not only the Canterlot Orchestra play but you as well? Now I understand your statement from earlier.”

This got not only her blush to deepen, but her muzzle to break away from her purple silk scarf, “So does that mean you’ll come?” She asked with a hopeful tone.

“Is there even a question here? Of course I’ll come! This is such a treat, first my new place and now this. Could this day get any better?” I question her back.

Perking up at the mention of my new place, Octavia got right back to the previous topic, “oh right, you got a place. Where was it again?”

“If you don’t have anything to do today; I’ll show it to you. How does that sound?” I counter with my own question as I finished the last drops of tea.

Mulling over her plans for the day, Octavia nodded, “I should be free up until seven. The orchestra is pulling double sessions now to get ready for the performance.”

“No problem, that gives us about…” I trailed off looking towards the clock outside the shop, “…five hours. It seems we can take our time getting there as well.” I joke.

“I’m sure that we’ll find a way to get distracted on the way over,” Octavia replied as she got up from her spot -as did I- and lead the way out of the cafe. Opening the door rewarded us both with a wave of cold winter air. One of which hit me like a freight train as we continued out into the city.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for the place?” She questioned, generating just the right amount of small talk to get us to the hotel.

Obligated to follow her conversation I answered, “300 bits for the first and last, 150 each month, utilities included. You interested in getting your own place?”

“Not really, as long as I’m not a nuisance to my mother and father I get free rent and food,” She stated as she gave me a small smirk, “It comes with utilities as well.”

Rolling my eyes at her antics, I made my own retort, “sooner or later you’ll have to move out. Can’t live at home forever, as nice as it may be.”

“When that time comes I’ll be glad that you're my friend,” She beamed, only further pushing her statement as she brushed up against my left leg. All the while looking up with a warm smile.

Knowing what she was implying, I countered, “Now what makes you think I would let you freeload at my place?”

“Oh come now, Erik. From the time I’ve spent with you, I know that you wouldn’t leave a pony out on the street to fend for themselves.”

“You Equestrian's did it to me, so I think I actually could do it.” This caught both me and Octavia off guard. Me for accidentally hinting up the fact that I’m an alien. Her because what I said must have made no sense.

Just like I had thought, Octavia scrunched up her nose, “What do you mean: ‘you Equestrian’s did it to me’?”

Racking my brain, I came up with the universal, “It’s a long story, perhaps I’ll tell you about it later.” Yet, as I expected; Octavia didn’t take too kindly to me simply pushing it off for a later date.

“Well if you have the right to generalize all ponies then I think I have the right of knowing ‘this story’.” Octavia was getting really heated over this little slip-up. I guess I could try again to convince her that I’m not of this world.

Even thinking of trying again brought a pain to my heart. I don’t know if I could witness Octavia blowing it all off as some ‘joke’ or a ‘blatant lie’. To be honest, I had no idea how she would react if she actually believed me. That was the scariest part, the fact that I could lose my only friend in this equine world.

Attempting one more time to sweep it under the rug and continue my day I replied, “Even if I tell you, you’re not going to believe me.”

“I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt,” Octavia stated, “That's the least I could do.”

Sighing, I pulled Octavia to the side of the street. Hoping that I could at least keep this between me and her. “Alright, remember where I said I was from?”

“Manehatten,”

“Manhattan,” I corrected, “I’m from ‘Man’ ‘hatten’ a place that does not exist here in Equis. In fact, I don’t even know where it is in relation to this world. It could be in another dimension, hell it could be a couple light years away.” Seeing Octavia take a step away from me got my hopes to drop, but I continued because she wanted to know. “I’m an alien Octavia, I come from the planet Earth. I don’t know why or how, but after I was hit by a car I was transported here.”

Octavia just stood there trying to take it all in, or more likely, trying to believe what she is hearing.

“I was in that hotel because it was the only place for me to get shelter, relatively inexpensive without any background checks. I don’t even hold any identification, I simply don't exist on paper here because I’m not from here.”

“I-I” Octavia stuttered as she tried to focus on me, “I” and just like that she let out a sigh of defeat, “I can’t accept that reason. It’s a lie clear as day. If you’re an alien I would need more proof then your words.”

Now it was my turn to get angry, “You already have all the proof you need! You’re a smart mare, put all the pieces together! My music, have you ever heard anything like it? Have you ever heard of the composers I list at the end of my performances? What about the language I spoke when we first met each other?”

I could see the confusion in her eyes. Trying to hit the last nail into the coffin I continued, “My violin, have you ever seen one with no acoustic chamber? What about my bow?” I question taking the bow out of the case and held it out to her, “It’s made of carbon fiber, a material I have yet to see in this world.”

Octavia picked up the bow with her hooves, her eyes widening at the weight of it. She looked at me then to the bow her eyes dilating and contracting. I was getting through to her, but I could also see I was pushing her a bit too far.

“Why?” was her simple question, “Why hide it?”

“Did I finally get through?” I thought to myself.

Dropping my anger I smiled at this opportunity as I shook my head, “I never hid it from you. In fact, I had hoped that you would realize it soon by yourself. How my language didn’t match Manehatten. During our first time at The Well Bean, I told you I was from Manhatten, not Manehatten and once again today I told you the truth when I said my home was far away.”

“But, I…” was all that was able to come out of her mouth as she took another two steps back. She looked around almost as if she was confused as to where she was. By now she was practically on the streets. Giving me one last questioning glance she turned tail and ran.

I let my head sag down with yet another failed attempt, another reminder of the life I had lost. It was one thing to be misplaced, but it was another to not be trusted. In the end, it was the fact that Octavia still didn’t believe me that hurt more than being away from my home.

Walking back into the streets, I continued my way to the hotel. I didn’t even bother asking for my bits back as I walked in and walked out with the rest of my stuff.

It was incredible how such an amazing day can turn sour so fast. My once happy and excited mood turned to sad and depressed. Having my memory take me back to my new house I sat up against one of the walls as I placed my violin and satchel next to me.

The part that really gets me is that during the whole exchange she never raised her voice. It wasn’t that she was angry, it was that she didn’t want to believe that I was an alien. I truly had no idea what I was going to do now.

I was too emotionally unstable to continue playing for bits. My depression nagged at me to stay at home and mope. Since nothing was here other than me, my instrument and my satchel I opened up my satchel in hopes that there would be something within that would distract me.

Thankfully I found just such an escape as I came across the unfinished song I was writing. Pulling out the sheet I looked upon the notes. The melody was a bit too cheery for me at the moment, so I decided to add in a more soothing harmony to go along with it. One that would better reflect the situation one would face venturing out into reality.

Having a song that a lot of people can relate to could be the key that makes you millions. Funnily enough, it was not the money that brought my pencil down to the sheet but the desperation of having someone to listen to me. I was once again reminded of just how lonely it was to live in a world devoid of your own kind.

Scribbling some more notes down onto the paper, I played it over in my head. The melody was a bit off, but the harmony was coming along nicely. Opting to continue with this bout of inspiration, I continued on with the harmony until I felt I had said enough.

By the time I placed the paper back into the case, the beginning was complete. Well, the beginning for the harmony. Another session like this but focused more on the melody would complete the first part.

Yet, even though I had at least accomplished something with my time moping about, I didn’t feel any different. Which in turned confused me. This was the first time that I had distracted myself from a problem and had come out feeling the same way I did before. Thinking about it now actually kind of frightened me. This new feeling I got when Octavia turned a blind eye to what was clearly the truth.

Walking over to the loft I laid down and used my satchel bag as a pillow. Not really the most comfortable bed I had, but better than the alleyway.

“Maybe if I took a small nap everything would become clearer,” I stated to myself as I let my eyelids close.


I was back on earth, the rain was coming down hard and sitting next to me in my honda civic was the coffee girl from the cafe. Her hair wet from the sprint we did to get to the car. Since she missed the last bus to her apartment, I offered to drive her home. To which as you can already see she accepted.

“I never knew you had a car?” She stated more than asked as we left the parking lot.

I glanced over her way and raised a brow, “And what makes you think I wouldn’t have one?”

“Well you live in the city, I thought that everyone in the city just uses the transit system,” She said with a small blush coming to her face, “Do you need it to get out of the city? Do you have someone that you visit often?”

“If you’re asking me if I have a girlfriend the answers no,” I chuckled, “what with me performing all the time I don't think I could fit in a relationship. The reason for the car is to carry all my equipment. It would be very cumbersome if I had to take the transit with all my gear on.” I lectured as we stopped at the red light.

Looking over to her again I could see her blush deepen, “I mean if you already see the person where you work you don't need to make any more room.” It was quite obvious what she was getting at, but by the time I felt the need to reply we were already idling out front of her apartment.

Opening her door she passed me a small brown paper bag, “it’s a danish, I know how much you love them so I snagged one before we left.” And just like that, before I could say anything she closed the door and ran through the rain towards her apartment.

Smiling at her antics, I reached in the bag and took out the danish. Just like always, the danish was amazing. A bit too amazing that I got some of it smeared across my mouth. Reaching in again I pulled out the napkin only to see a note was written on it.

Turning on the light I read, “Will you go out with me?” With her phone number at the bottom.

I had to admit, it was really cute. Not only that but it was the first time I ever had a girl ask me out. Usually, it was the other way around. Smiling once again at how innocent and sweet she was I placed the napkin into the cup holder as I merged back into traffic.

My eyes seemed to focus on the lights of the oncoming cars. Everyone that past blurred the lights together until all I could see was white. Knowing what was to happen I closed my eyes.


Just like the coffee girls feelings, the question to which reality was real was starting to get quite obvious. Here in Equis, I could feel more, the days were longer and not everything was perfect like that cheese danish she gave me. But was it so wrong of me to wish it was the other way around? That I really had a chance at a normal relationship in a normal world?

Letting my eyelids slowly open, I took notice of the concert ticket laying on the floor in front of me. Taking it in my hands I rolled over so I faced the roof and held the ticket up. I was still going to go, no doubt about it. What I was really thinking about when I held that ticket up was how I affected Octavia. If she would be emotionally stable performing with the information bomb I just dropped on her.

Knowing what needs to be done, I got up and took a look out of the sliding glass door. The sun had already set bringing the night to life. Little dots of light could be seen off in the distance from the candle fire shining through the windows of houses. Together with the snow really made me want to stay home and bundle up.

Sadly, with the performance coming up and Octavia in her current frame of mind, that was an impossible dream. Leaving my satchel and violin in the house, I picked up my key as I wandered back into the streets of Canterlot.

Unlike the daytime where the afternoon sun would warm me up, I was left purely at the mercy of the wind. It’s sharp gusts cutting through my jacket with ease, as I made my way down the main street. My destination just a couple more minutes down the road.

As my journey continued my mind started to think over how this conversation was going to go. Was I going to blow this all over with a simple ‘it was a joke, one of bad taste’? Or would I go the more serious route and tell her it was all true and attempt to get her to accept it before she would perform.

The second option was tempting on my part, but my thoughts once again went back to how it would effect Octavia. Even a day or two being out of it could be detrimental to her performance, I would know seeing as to what happened when my own landlord threatened me. In the end, it would be best to clear all of her worries away in one sweep. This would ensure that her personal life would not seep into her professional one.

Lowering my gaze to the snow-covered sidewalk I took in the sounds of winter as I thought. The crunch of snow beneath my feet, the howling of the wind and the light chatter of other late night owls walking around at this time. It was taking me longer than I thought to think this over, that by the time I was starting to formulate a solution I was walking into the theaters' lobby.

Unlike before, there were no lines and two ponies wearing tuxedos stood in front of the doors to the auditorium. Their intentions were quite obvious, but that didn’t matter. I wasn’t planning on barging in, rather I was planning on catching her coming out.

Walking over to one of the benches, I sat down and once again went over my plan. I was going to tell her the truth once more. I knew that it was a bit selfish on my part, but I really needed to get this through to her. If she didn’t take it today, after all I’ve done to bring it out, then there was no chance she's ever going to warm up to the idea.

That being said, I was not going to be aggressive with my confrontation. Instead, I hoped to accomplish the exact opposite. After going to her house and meeting her mother, it was quite clear that Octavia didn’t have many friends if any. If I had to wager a guess I would say she’s more scared of losing a friend then me being an alien.

As I continued to sit there on the plush velvet bench; I was approached by what looked like the janitor. Unlike most janitors, this one was well kept. His mane and tail were kept clean and groomed while his uniform -the only clue to his occupation- had nice crisp creases on them.

“Sorry, but the theater is closed sir,” he commented.

“I’m just waiting for a friend, she’s practicing in there,” I pointed a finger towards one of the doors.

Looking to the door then back to me, the janitor raised a brow, “the Canterlot orchestra finished a couple minutes ago. Plus they use the back entrance, not the front.”

My smile immediately fell as I got off the seat, “where's the back entrance?”

“Uh, at the back of the building,” the janitor stated, causing me to roll my eyes.

“I know that but where at the back? This place isn’t small and I bet there's more than one back door.” I quipped zipping up my jacket.

“Furthest door on the eastern side, better hurry, those musicians never stay too long after their meets. Especially now since their working double time for the upcoming performance.” and with that bout of knowledge I was out the door and racing to the back.

I didn’t have to run far, for as soon as I rounded the first corner I came face to face with the very mare I was looking to find.

“Sweet Celestia!” Octavia cried out as she backed up a couple of steps before she promptly fell on her flank. Her cello laying in the snow beside her.

She was not the only one to be caught off guard as I jerked to a halt before slipping on the snow and face planting into a nearby snowbank.

“We gotta stop meeting up like this,” I mumbled more for my sake than hers.

“E-Erik is that you?” Octavia stuttered as she got up from her spot. I could tell already that she was uncomfortable just looking at me even when I was face down in the snowbank.

Pulling myself back up, I brushed the snow off of my coat, “Unless there’s another hairless bipedal that wears clothes then no I’m not Erik.”

Glancing up from my coat I could see her shuffle in her spot, kicking a bit of the snow on the ground with her hoof. Taking her own chance she glances up at me, “About earlier-”

Before she could say anything further I shook my head, “I’m the one that needs to make amends here. I put too much on your plate when you already had a full one. I understand that you may be still skeptical about what I said, but that's not why I came here. I came to let you know that no matter what happens I’ll be in the audience cheering you on because your my best friend.”

I wasn’t ready for what I was about to witness. Cracking a small smile Octavia’s eyes quivered before she pushed herself against my stomach. I would have fallen back again if it were not for the fact that I had a snowbank giving me support.

No words were spoken as we stood there. Snow falling gently down as we embraced bellow a lonely street lamp. It was as if time itself stopped as we stood there. To be honest, I didn’t want this moment to end. It felt too good having her in my arms. Not to mention the weight that was lifted knowing that I straighten things out with her.

“Warn me before you say something as cheesy as that,” Octavia joked under her shaken breath.

I let out a small chuckle as I wrapped my arms tighter around her. “I’m sorry Octavia, but you know that's a promise I just can’t make.

Her only response was to hug me tighter as she pushed her muzzle deeper into my stomach.