• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 1,991 Views, 41 Comments

Me and My bow - Windsocks



In a vice to get money for his rent, Erik takes a risk that ends him up in Canterlot with only his violin and bow.

  • ...
5
 41
 1,991

Chapter Five - The Devil Deals the Cards

A little ray of sunshine broke through the overcast skies as leaves danced upon the autumn breeze. Notes of a song both soothing and rich weaved itself into the atmosphere, creating color as well as catching the curious glimpses of passing ponies. They were like the first sips of tea one would have as they gazed out of their window all bundled up.

It was a piece by Mozart no doubt. Who else could instill so much raw emotion into a song? Nevertheless, whether people agreed with me or not, I continued to slide my rosin coated bow across the metallic strings. The notes it produced followed the melody of his Violin Concerto No. 5 in A. Today I decided to skip the first and dive right into the second movement.

I wanted to let Mozart into this world for the first time to inspire others to rise up above the rest. I wanted these ponies to turn their attention to me and feel the music I put forth. Just like the sad song I played yesterday, I found my passion for the art seep into every crevice of the song. Molding and shaping it into something new, something that was mine to own.

Whether it was the city, the ponies or the atmosphere bringing my musical mind to life I had no idea; and quite frankly I didn’t care. I was having fun while the ponies all around me enjoyed my performance. But enough of the honeyed words, back to the music at hand.

In order to make this piece shine, one would have to be skilled with the placements of the vibratos. In fact, it was the numerous vibratos that kept the piece together. Both giving it support while at the same time enriching the flow and injecting emotion.

Well... that's at least my opinion on the song. I’m sure many folks back home would have different reasons for liking the piece. In fact, I’m sure they would even have their own preferences on what would be ideal to play at this time. That was the curse of the arts you see, for the fans may have your back, but the critics' words cut deeper than any blade.

To be loved by many requires the hatred of the few. For there will always be those who are jealous of your fame and others who have different tastes. To completely be loved by all is an impossible feat all artist must strive to achieve. A true internal war that's end will be met when but only one remains.

Rocking my index finger on the string I slowly put an end to the magnificent piece, leaving behind a small hint of nostalgia in the air. Sadly, unlike the days prior, when I looked out to the ponies not many were watching. Like every other profession, you had your fast days and your slow days. Since not many ponies were out and about, that meant the coinage was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Nonetheless, the ponies that were watching let a little cheer escape their hooves as I gave a gracious bow. Getting back up I looked back towards the clock on top of the pole just outside the coffee shop. It’s time read 11:45 which meant that I have another fifteen minutes left till I’m scheduled to meet Octavia for our personal tour of Canterlot.

Deciding that was enough performing for one day, I packed up my things, thanked the small crowd again and made my way into The Well Bean. With the change I had conjured up from my performance, I walked up to the counter and made a small purchase of one large green tea. Of course, adding two sugars and two milks into it when I was finished and sitting in my usual spot.

Cupping my hands around the warm cup of tea, I bent down and took a long sniff of the beverage. Just from the smell alone, I could feel the caffeine doing its work. With nothing holding my addiction back I picked up the cup, closed my eyes and took a long sip of the tea.

“I knew tea was good, but not that good,” came the familiar voice of Octavia that did everything but make the drink go down my throat. In fact, her sudden appearance made me choke on said concoction and shoot open my eyelids.

Just as I had foretold, Octavia was sitting across the table from me. A warm smile etched onto her muzzle as she tried to cover up her chuckles from escaping their prison by burying her muzzle into her lavender scarf.

Downing, what was left in my mouth I gave her a piercing glare, “Will I ever be able to drink normally when you’re around?” I question taking another sip of my tea, albeit more cautiously this time.

Octavia chuckled at my response, “It’s not my fault you make it so easy! Whats a mare to do when the opportunity presents itself so clearly?” As she stated her mind, her eyes wandered over to my violin case, “did you perform today?”

Placing the cup down I nodded, “Yeah, though I didn’t really get much. Not many ponies are out and about today.”

“I would assume so,” Octavia added on, “with the festival of the two sisters over, ponies all around are spending time with their families.” The way she said the last part was like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Which of course sparked a whole boatload of questions for me.

The most important of which I asked first, “So why aren't you spending time with your family?”

“I’m an only child and my father is working today. Since it would only be me and my mom, she decided to just be fine with dinner. To be honest I thought I was going to be sitting in my room all day today until yesterday. Funny how things work out in the end.” Octavia commented.

“I don’t know how much more entertaining I’ll be then your room, but I’ll try my best.” I joked causing Octavia to let out another little chuckle. She had this way of making everything she did cute. Like now how she put her hoof in front of her muzzle when she laughed.

Placing her hoof back down onto the table, she replied, “I don’t know? My room is pretty entertaining what with my cello and all. You have a lot to live up to, not anyone can just take time away from me and my instruments.”

Rolling my eyes I got up from the table, “Say what you will, but if I remember correctly you’re the one that is showing me around today.”

It was now Octavia's turn to roll her eyes at me, “my job is to show you around, not keep you entertained.” I could tell from the way she was joking around that there laid more than just a timid mare under all that fur. In fact, I saw quite the opposite, a stoic mare that when determined could do anything short of resurrecting the dead.

Either way, as I moved to leave, Octavia followed in tow, “So what's first on the agenda today?” I ask stopping on the side of the street. Willow carved wagons and carts rolled by on the road. Each one being pulled by ponies escorting other ponies or goods to stores. Once again I was hit with the realization of just how different -yet similar- our two worlds are.

“The auditorium’s first as it's on the way to the castle. If you’re telling the truth of not knowing anything about Canterlot then the castle is the must-see attraction.” Octavia lectured like a professional tourist guide.

Nodding in response to a well thought out plan and without any further dilly-dallying the two of us made our way towards the Canterlot auditorium or the more professional Canterlot Theater for the Performing Arts.

It was humbling to see that not only humans treasured the musical arts. Yet, for some odd reason, it was even more so that my feet and her hooves were walking side-by-side on the cobblestone road.


Like chaff before the wind, we soon found ourselves getting closer to the auditorium. To be honest the excitement of seeing their version of a theater made me feel like a kid again. I’m also pretty sure Octavia took note of that too as she kept detailing the place we were headed to. Never in all my life would I think a mare would be able to tease me so.

On the other hand, other than the constant butterflies in my stomach, the walk to the auditorium was beautiful. After we went off the beaten path of the cobblestone street we walked through a very well maintained park. Flora that should not be in bloom in the crisp air were. Some kind of magic I'm sure, but that didn’t help the fact that I was awestruck by the beauty of it all.

Yet through this all we both were silent. Not an awkward silence mind you, but a nice relaxing one as we kept to ourselves. Coming to the mutual agreement that the atmosphere was more than enough for the both of us.

This all changed however when I took my first steps into the auditorium, or at least I thought they were my first steps. “I’ve been here before,” I commented taking in the Hollywoodesk theater design.

Hearing my statement, Octavia looked over to me with a curious expression, “Really? What was the reason for your last visit?”

“Some mare tossed in a flyer for an audition to some event when I was performing on my second day here. It took me a better part of two hours to find a mare to point me in the right direction.” I relayed mulling over the past as we continued into the theater.

Sure enough, as we passed the large double doors, the same stage with the same red velvet seats came into view. The warm amber glow all theaters seemed to have washed over the seating and stage. This was the reason I loved theaters so much, no matter if it's the Sydney Opera House or a local theater, they all hold that special feeling to me. Like my gut was about to burst from the inspiration and excitement.

“Oh, the public tryouts for the Hearts Warming eve show.” Octavia deduced as we continued down the aisle of the empty theater, “You must’ve impressed somepony in order for them to think you could make it. While it's not the Canterlot Orchestra, it's a large step up in the music industry here to be picked for the Hearth's Warming eve show.”

I playfully nudged Octavia in the side, “You saying I don’t have what it takes to play at the Hearth’s Warming eve show?” I questioned unclipping my violin case and taking the instrument by the neck before heading onto the stage.

Giving me a curious look Octavia replied, “That's exactly what I'm saying. What are you going to do about it?”

“I’m going to do what I always do... perform!” I comment taking out my bow and sliding it across the first string, rocking my hips to the music a bit. This, of course, caused Octavia’s chuckle to turn into full-on laughter as I continued to dance to my little fiddle song, “Come join me!” I offered doing a little spin with my violin.

Waving her hoof at me she let out another chuckle before saying, “No I’m quite alright here. I’m not much of dancer.”

Sadly, for her, I had a song just for this moment. Well… that and she was positioned next to the stage when she declined. It was just so perfect that I had to do it. Moving my bow to my other hand I reached down and pulled her up onto the stage. As quickly as I could I started up the next song, ‘minor swing’ by Django Reinhardt a recent favorite of mine that I never really got to do a cover on. I guess we’ll find out today if I could play off improv.

I knew she would try and find a way off the stage so I immediately spun to the side of her that lead to the stage's exit. Letting the first notes enter the air around us, I could see Octavia nervousness start to fade into a questioning stare. To be completely honest here I had no idea why I was doing any of this, was it to impress her? Was it for fun? Or was it the fact that I really liked her smile?

Nevertheless, I wasn’t going to just leave the notes to do the talking as I bumped Octavia with my hip as I danced by her. If Octavia was confused before she was completely lost now as I continued on with the song. The upbeat tune and swing nature of the song practically forced people or pony, in this case, to dance along.

“H-hay!” Octavia protested as soon as she realized she was swaying to the beat. Falling perfectly for my plan. At this point, she was completely flustered and at a complete loss of words. I mean I would be to if someone just randomly started playing a song before dancing to it.

Yet, in the end, my actions would all be for nothing if I didn’t get her to loosen up a little bit on stage. So I pulled out the big guns as I gave her a little spin and nudged her with my leg once more. Just as I planned it started to work as her smile grew and she started to sway to the beat even more.

Before long I got her to dance a little with me as I finished up the song. Now mind you, the music wasn’t that great because I had no track following me, nor did I have my amp or various other equipment. The dancing?... well the dancing lead a lot to be desired but, in the end, I think I made her day the same way she made mine when she offered to help me in the library.

A little thank you dance to settle the scores.

Sitting down on the edge of the stage with Octavia I placed the violin back into the case, “Bet you didn’t see that one coming in your plan?”

“Indeed I didn’t plan to see your horrible moves today,” Octavia joked as she nudged me back in the arm.

“Oi! You of all ponies shouldn’t be making fun of my moves. What was that move you did at the end again?” I questioned.

As soon as I said it her face flushed beet red, “You tell anyone about that and I’ll punch you for real!”

“Looked like some kind of possessed squirrel- OW! that hurt,” I trailed off rubbing my right shoulder.

“And there are many more where that came from if you tell anypony else.” Octavia huffed as she jumped off the stage.

Snapping shut my case I lugged it over my shoulder and walked up beside her, “Alright, I get the point. Don’t tell anyone about your dancing and I get to continue living an unbruised man.”

Nodding her head we both made our way outside the auditorium. I was actually quite shocked that it was completely empty today. Usually, those places are booked tight for practices. I guess since Octavia has a day off the rest of the orchestra has it off as well. That just leaves the question of how many other orchestras does Canterlot have?

“I couldn’t help but notice from the first song that you can fiddle as well. Do you know any more or do you just dabble in it?” Octavia spoke up as we continued down the road towards the castle in the distance.

Moving the case to a better position I nod my head, “It’s fun playing serious pieces and all, but once in a while you just have to play fast. I find fiddling helps me become a better violinist by exercising my mind and fingers. Sadly, it doesn't sound as good on an electric then it does on an acoustic. Not to mention someone stole my amp.”

“Somepony stole your what?” Octavia questioned.

“My amplifier, without it the electric violin kinda sounds lame. I would be way better off if I had an acoustic one. It’s funny really, I miss the feel and sound of the acoustic. It’s been so long since I’ve played one.” I commented with a longing look in my eyes.

It was then that Octavia stopped in her tracks as, “wait, so all this time you were hooftycapped?”

“Sort of… yeah. The notes aren't as sharp and the volume is way lower on an electric. But what can I do? It’s all I got on me at the moment, and I highly doubt there’s a decent violin for 100 bits.” The more I talked about how shit my violin was without the peripherals the more it depressed me. Would I be better off ditching the electric altogether here and pick up the traditional one? I knew I could never just up and leave my electric forever, but for the start, it would be best to go back to the wood and varnish.

Stopping myself I looked over to Octavia who was now behind me. It seemed like she was on the fence about something as she slowly chewed on her idea a little bit longer. Thankfully, I didn’t have to wait long as she decided to hell with it and spat it out, “Would you want to come over to my place?”

Caught completely off guard by her proposition, I raised an eyebrow and brought my violin case to my side. Before I could say anything, She quickly corrected herself, “I-I mean to play an acoustic violin. My mother used to be a fiddler and she never uses it anymore. I just thought since you were talking about it and all that you would like to try it?”

The more she talked the more her face turned red. It was quite charming to see a pony stutter and stumble over something so trivial. Either way, it kinda felt wrong to take her up on the offer. I mean it’s her mother's violin.

“You sure it’s okay with me trying out you’re mothers violin?” I questioned as we finally came up upon the giant marble wall. My mind making sure I remembered my last experience here.

Once again Octavia chewed on the question, weighing the pros and cons. Like before, she seemed to just say ‘to hell with it’ and reply, “I’m sure she’ll be fine with you playing a song or two on it. Her violin has been doing nothing but catching dust these past few years, it’s about time that somepony dusted it off.”

“Well, in that case, I look forward to meeting your mother,” I respectfully stated as we both stopped at the gate. “So, back to the tour. What's so special about this place?” I questioned.

Following my change in topic, Octavia looked back over to the castle. “This is the Canterlot Castle built in the five-hundreds. It’s the only castle on Equis that has never seen a battle. It is known outside of Equestria as the Peacetime Gift. As not only ponies but griffons built it.”

I could see she was getting into the little lesson. To be honest I was enjoying the lecture as well. It was interesting seeing a whole new culture that had its own history.

“It is rumored that the castle is not only held up by the foundation but magic as well. Thankfully, the ground level of the castle is open to the public at all hours. Plus, there's a gorgeous restaurant that serves salad to die for. Too bad it costs an arm and a leg to even get in. I’ve only seen it because I performed there once.”

I nodded as she ended her speech, “Well then, let's go in and take a look around.”

I didn’t have to say it twice as Octavia practically dragged me in. She barely gave me enough time to look around the exquisite garden. To think that I thought the theaters garden was amazing, this one had it beat ten times over. Not only that but as we entered through the main archway, I got to see the master craftsmanship that went into building this place.

The floor was made out of polished marble, each wall adorned decorations that left the cobblestone behind it hidden. Every window we passed had a mural of a specific event that shattered the light coming through it. This, in turn, decorated the entire inside in a multitude of lights. Even the guards wore what I assumed was decorative armor as it gleamed in the sunlight. It took all my willpower to keep my jaw from hitting the floor.

I must have looked like a tourist to Octavia as I stopped by each painting, admiring each stroke the artists had done. All the paintings were framed in an ornament gold frame that had small stories of their own etched into them. Looking back over to Octavia, I come to see her quite a bit ahead of me looking into a room.

Walking up to her, I too looked into the room as well. Ponies of what I could assume were high-class were seated around multiple tables enjoying classical music as they happily consumed the meals in front of them.

“What I would do to get in there,” Octavia stated.

This, in turn, confused me, she was practically a celebrity being in the Canterlot Orchestra. So why was she ‘dreaming’ of going to a place that was practically built for ponies like her? “I’m surprised you don’t eat here every day with you being the orchestra.”

Octavia looked at me and let out a small chuckle, “If only, this place is reserved for nobles and the princesses. You either have to be on good terms with Celestia or Luna before they would even consider letting you in.”

“Who’s Celestia and Luna?” I questioned.

Now I know I said something wrong as Octavia turned her complete undivided attention to me. “I know you live all the way out in Manehattan but to not know of Celestia and Luna you must have been living under a rock.”

“I’m guessing their big here in Equestria?” I questioned.

“Try the rulers of Equestria,” Octavia rolled her eyes. “That celebration a couple days ago was honoring them.”

I probably looked like a complete idiot in her eyes not knowing that, but to be fair I am an alien here. Too bad she didn’t believe me when I said so back at The Well Bean. Then right there out of the blue Octavia’s eyes widened as she bowed before me.

Being taken completely off guard, I turned around to see a large white pony with a mane that seemed to defy gravity. Her horn and wings tugging at my mind as my eyes stared directly into hers for a couple of seconds before she spoke up.

“Hello,” She stated in an all to familiar voice. “Sorry but you seem to be in the way.” She continued gesturing towards the doorway we were currently blocking.

Squinting my eyes I questioned, “I’ve heard your voice before, do I know you?” Glancing down at Octavia to see her eyes widen at my question.

The mare raised an eyebrow seemingly surprised, before she pondered my question, “Oh, you were the one my noble brought out of the streets.”

Now it was my time for my eyes to widen. The gears in my head started to turn as I came to the conclusion that this was Celestia, co-ruler of Equestria. Moments after my surprise died down my eyes narrowed, “You should be more careful dealing with your subjects. I almost threw my back out the way I was tossed out of your castle.”

I could hear Octavia take a large breath of air. Almost like she was waiting to be incinerated or something.

Celestia furrowed her brow at my response, “I have no evidence of this, you were taken out by one of my guards. Do you have any proof to this claim?”

“Other than my sore back,” I answered.

Letting out a small sigh she let her head drop, “without evidence I cannot act on this. However, you have my sincere apologies. Now I would like to continue our talk but I have an urgent matter to attend to.”

Stepping out of the way, Celestia walked into the restaurant before being seated by another dark blue pony. The blue pony looked at Celestia then to me. I looked right back giving her the stink eye. It was quite humorous as I watched the blue pony scoff and then furrowed her brow at me.

Looking down I come to see Octavia recovering from a small heart attack. After recomposing herself she looked back up to me with a look I could only describe as ‘What the fuck?’.

“Hay she threw me out of the castle, it’s only fair that I let her know I was not happy about it,” I state following her away from the restaurant.

“She’s our ruler, shouldn’t you show just a little respect?” She questioned.

This time it was my head that fell, “You’re right, I should have at least showed a little respect by bowing. I was too caught up in the moment to really think, so I just let my mind speak.”

Letting out a sigh, Octavia replied, “that will be your downfall.”

“I always thought my good looks would be my downfall?” I joked trying to lighten the mood.

It worked, as Octavia bumped my hip with her side, “You keep thinking that, now let's finish up the rest of the tour. I’m starting to get hungry and I just know that my mother is gonna bake her world renown cherry pie for dessert.”

“Ah, a fellow sweets connoisseur,” I replied in a posh tone.

“Indeed, for life without sweets is a life not worth living at all.” She joked back in her own posh tone.

Looking at her with one of my eyebrows raised we both let out a couple of laughs before getting back into the tour.


The rest of the tour seemed to fly on by as me and Octavia started to get comfortable with one and another. We each swapped stories about our lives while occasionally admiring the lovely decor that castle had to offer. Time went by so fast that before we knew it, we both were standing in front of what I assumed was Octavia's home.

It wasn’t as big as all the other houses, but what it lost in size it made up for in character. Looking at their own little garden, I let a small smile grace my lips. Even here on a completely different planet they still had hydrangeas. It reminded me of my own families home back on earth, as my mother used to love hydrangeas. The entire garden was practically filled with them.

Stopping at the door, Octavia looked back over towards me. She had that same unsure look on her face as she said, “now my mothers quite the character as you’ll find out. Just be yourself and before you’ll know it you’ll have that violin in your hooves.”

Nodding Octavia opened the door before calling out, “I’m back, I brou-” was all she could say before her mother -a tan-coated mare with a blond mane- came rushing into the hallway. She was busy looking down at her bowl as she mixed some dough with her mouth while she held the bowl in her left forehoof. She had flower patches all over her face as she spoke.

“Good, you can help me make the rest of the pie. Celestia knows doing it by yourself is a hassle. How was your dat-” Was all she said before she looked up towards us, causing her to promptly drop the mixing spoon out of her mouth.

“You brought him home already?!” She practically shouted rushing back into the kitchen before coming back out moments later. Her mane straightened and muzzle clear of flower. Giving Octavia the same stink eye I gave the blue pony at the castle, she came up to me with a smile.

“My I haven't seen anything like you around. You must be foreign. Anyways I’m Harmony, Octavia’s mother.” She stated holding out her hoof.

Taking her hoof in my hand I replied, “You could say I'm foreign. Name’s Erik, Octavia here was telling me that you play the violin as well.”

“Really?” She questioned looked back over to Octavia, one of which was fiddling with her hoof. “I’m a bit rusty, it’s been a few years since I last played, but one never truly forgets how to play.” She continued looking back over to me.

I could already see it in her eyes, she was itching to play again but she couldn’t without a good reason. I would know because I must have had that exact same look in my eyes. At that moment we both clicked like two pieces of the same puzzle. With a small smirk, I placed a little wager.

“Let me tell you what: I bet you didn’t know it but I’m fiddle player too. And if you’d care to take a dare, I’ll make a bet with you.”

This caught Harmony's attention as she looked over to me with a smirk. She knew where this was going as she continued to hear my bet though. On the other hand, Octavia was looking at me like I had grown a second head as I continued.

“Now I bet you play a pretty good fiddle, but give me my due. I bet a couple of gold against your own, ‘cos I think I’m better than you.”

Harmony looked at me with fire in her eyes as she turned around and left the hallway. Looking over to Octavia I come to see her facehoofing.

“Look what you did now Erik, my mother thinks my first friend is a w-” was all she could say before her mother came back with a pristine acoustic violin. If I didn’t know any better I would say it was a Stradivarius design making it worth millions. The moment my eyes fell on the masterpiece in her grasp I gulped. I might have bitten off more than I could chew.

“Now if my names Harmony and it might be a sin, but I’ll take your bet, your gonna regret ‘cos I’m the best that’s ever been!”

I didn’t know whether to be impressed that she knew what to say or the fact that she was actually taking me up on this bet. Either way, I smiled back as I opened up my case before saying, “I’ll start this show.” The only thing missing was fire flying out of my fingertips as I rosined up my bow.

Once again witnessing Octavia facehoof I shouldered my sleek black metallic violin and pulled the bow across the strings making a screeching sound. Octavia covered her ears as I turned a knob on the bottom of my violin.

Using short pulls, I mimicked the beginning of the song. Then out of nowhere, I started to get faster and faster until I placed myself back into the song. Even though it was the beginning, I played so fast that I was beginning to sweat. A quick look up rewarded me with an impressed look on Harmonies part as Octavia brought her hooves down from her ears.

The notes continued to get higher and higher before quickly making my way back down. Each note perfectly played, every vibrato expertly rung out. She stood no chance, as I learned from others I was a god at playing fast. Letting the last note ring out I placed the bow to my side and motioned towards Harmony.

Picking up her own violin she smirked again, “Well you’re pretty good ol’ son, but if you’ll sit down in that chair, right there, and let me show you how it's done.”

Opting to stand, I watched as she put the bow to the stings. What came out shredded what I had just played to pieces. I would have to go back to Sharp Note and tell him he was a big fat liar. This mare played faster than I have ever heard anyone play and that's saying something coming from an avid player myself.

I continued to watch in awe as she held up the pace before letting go of the last note. I couldn’t help but bow my head. She was obviously the superior fiddler, speechless I took out my coin pouch and took out ten bits.

Smiling an innocent smile, Harmony said “come on back if you ever want to try again. I told you once, you son of a bitch, I’m the best that’s ever been!”

“Mother!” Octavia gasped at her mother's language.

It was so out of the left field that I couldn’t help but laugh as Harmony walked away continuing to play the song.

After my laughter died down, I looked over to Octavia, “You’re families awesome. I wish my mom was a cool as yours.”

Octavia just shook her head as her mother came back into the hallway. “It’s been ages since I’ve had a real competition, but it looks like I still got it.” She boasted tossing the bits I gave her around in her hoof. “Just remember, if you want these bits back you’ll have to beat me.” She continued with a wink.

“I’ll get them one day, mark my words,” I replied as she ushered us into the living room.

Walking in I was once again speechless. The entire room was decorated with music related stuff. They had an old gramophone in the corner, violins hanging up on the walls and even pictures of Harmony and Octavia winning a multitude of awards.

“If I came in here before meeting you, I would have never challenged you,” I said admiring the number of trophies and ribbons.

Harmony batted her hoof in my direction, “I bet you have tons of ribbons yourself. What with your playing you must be the second best fiddler in Canterlot.” Once again she winked at the end of her statement.

“Actually I’ve never won any awards. I’ve only ever entered one competition but never made it past the trials. I guess competition was never in my blood. I preferred to play in public and brighten other peoples days.” I casually stated as I sat down on a cushion by the table.

I watched as Harmony walked back over towards the hallway, “I wish more musicians think like you. Not too many are willing to risk bits for art.” as she said this she exited the room, “Dinner will be ready in a few, so stay a while. Why not try an actual violin out while you're at it.”

“Oi don't diss my violin!” I hollered back inflicting a chuckle from Octavia who was seated beside me.

Turning my attention back towards her, Octavia smile, “I never would have guessed my mother would have gotten along with you that well.”

“Truth be told, when your mother gets serious she's scary,” I commented causing the both of us to chuckle. “So now that I got your mother's go ahead, you want to play a duet?”

Octavia was taken back from my request, “You have a piece for the cello and violin?” she questioned.

“Loads,” I said as I opened my case. Inside was a mess of sheet music I haphazardly threw in there. You know, just in case I forgot my satchel bag, but truthfully because I was too lazy to open said satchel bag.

Eyes widening in joy as she nodded her head, “Sure, just let me get it.”

Author's Note:

Out of nowhere an update?! Sorry about that year brake, but I had my own reasons. Like working on a book that was not even pony related. I find myself, however, looking back at this novel and wanting to finish is. So that is was I'll attempt to do.

Feel free to yell at me in the comments, it turn's m- ahem I MEAN, it makes me know i'm still alive and have people that care about my work.

Songs in case you're feeling immersive or just wanna hear some tunes:
Mozar's Violin Concerto No. 5 A, 2nd Moment
Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt
The devil went down to Georgia