• Published 7th Sep 2017
  • 1,561 Views, 22 Comments

Harmony's Chosen Guardian in Training - ShimmeringMist



When something went wrong during Twilight's flare, Harmony stepped in, resulting in a very different Twilight Sparkle when it was time for Nightmare Moon's return

  • ...
1
 22
 1,561

Ch.2 -edited!

Ch.2

A tall, lavender coated mare trudged into her crystal cave home, tugged off her saddle bags, placed her sleeping dragon baby into his crystal formed crib and collapsed onto her bed. "Okay Twilight, next time you need to schedule everything better as that.was.exhausting." As she muttered to herself, she tried to muster the energy to move,but quickly gave up. Undoing her elaborate braids, she brushed her mane and tail, re-braided her hair simply, and gratefully slipped into the world of dreams.

Invisible to the naked eye, two beings sighed in fond exasperation at their favored little one. She and her son were tucked in lovingly by the decidedly female entity, while the other cleaned up the spilled saddle bags and ensured that their child of heart could quickly get ready when she wakes up tomorrow, a very, very important day. The two beings slipped into Twilight's dreams to remind her about what needs to happen tomorrow and spend some quality time together as well....


Flutter Shy had spent the time not rehearsing her bird-friends entrance tune for the Summer Sun Celebration tomorrow; researching the strange event that had happened that morning. She had gone to the library to research and made very little progress in identifying what the interestingly colored cats are, on the other hoof, Flutter Shy did make headway in finding out what the strange symbols were. Since there hasn't been a librarian in a long time, every pony pitched in from time to time maintaining the library, and because of this, Flutter Shy knew to go to basement for books on languages. It took about two hours to find a book on symbols and to realize that the symbols in her pictures must be either an undocumented dialect or something else. It took another two hours to give up on identifying the strange cats and work on translating the symbols that the colorfully marked lavender feline had made to the best of her ability.

"Flutter Shy, darling. How are you? Oh, you look absolutely dreadful! Come. Come. You can tell me everything at the spa." The owner of the fashion boutique in town, dropped off her books of fashions of the past into the return bin and hurried the soft butter-yellow mare out of the library. "Um... Rarity? Don't you have to decorate the town hall for tomorrow?"

"Oh, I finished that ages ago. All I have left to for tomorrow is make sure that nothing was disturbed and polish off the finishing touches and then it will be Fabulous!" The white mare had stars in her eyes as she envisioned the Celestial Princess raising the sun in the place she decorated. She shook the image from her head before she nearly tripped," oh dear. Never mind that, darling, tell me what has gotten you into this state?"

Entering the spa, Rarity levitated ten bits to the receptionist, "our usual, please."
Aloe showed them to a room and started on their hooficures while they waited to have a mud bath. "Don't think I didn't miss your distraction attempt dear," the elegant mare scolded."Now tell me, what's bothering you?"

So Flutter Shy, fidgeting, told her what happened that morning.
... ... ... ...

"What?!?!?""please tell me that you believe me, I -" "You got to talk with that gorgeous feline?!? I mean it was -" "Huh? Um...-" "-rather one sided on both sides I suppose. Oh! You just have to let me help with your research, I mean-" "I don't understand..." "- really I have an entire fashion line inspired by her colors! Of course I haven't released them to the public eye yet, that cat always gave me the feeling that she knows much more than a simple cat would and I feel like I should ask for permission to show something that she inspired. I mean really...." The mare then slowly noticed the stares she was getting and gulped. " I...was...rambling... Wasn't I?", she sighed at the nods and quietly asks if the mud bath was ready.

As they settled into the mud bath, Rarity decided to answer her friend's unspoken question. " It started about five years ago, I was opening up my shop when I noticed the cat that you met this morning, sitting on my modeling stage with a set of saddlebags in an absolutely dreadful state and a note asking for practicality. Of course I agreed. The poor pony must have saved every scrap they could, because in the pocket the note was pinned to, there were a dozen copper bits. Copper bits were about to be discontinued at that time of course, so they must have wanted to get their saddle bags mended as much as possible given the news.

"I must not have moved fast enough, for the cat had grabbed a spool of thread from somewhere,dropped it at my hooves and started poking me! I was honestly tempted to throw out the disaster of a saddle bag set but it must have had so many memories that I decided not to. That gorgeous cat watched as I made a new saddle bag set and try to make it as fitting as possible, which is hard to do when you only have the old ones to go off of. I didn't even know if it was for a pegasus, unicorn or earth pony for Celestia's sake! Each have something to take into account, like wings or the more muscled nature of earth ponies!" Rarity had to take a few moments to calm down after getting so worked up and Flutter Shy motioned for her to continue her story.

"Right. Back to the story. So, I made the mystery pony a new set of saddle bags and as I worked on it that cat would watch and hiss at me when ever I tried to embellish it. I had only wanted to add a bit of embroidery or change the colors a little, but no," the other mare had to duck the waved hoof," I had a little enforcer of practicality monitoring me! Hmph. I compensated for the lack of artistic additions by adding more storage and comfort, but still keeping it light mind you. It was an interesting project that challenged my creativity, especially considering the limitations I had to work with. When it was done, my feline supervisor checked it over and actually nodded in approval! Then she went over to where the copper bits were left and nudged them over to me! Well you know me darling, I tried to refuse payment for such an enjoyable challenge when it was clear that the poor pony needed it more. That feline look so upset when I went to pack up the bits in the new saddle bags, I made a bargain. I went around and gathered some books, small craft items with their instructions, non-perishables and the like,and packed them into the saddle bags, also packing the old set in as well. That persistent feline tried to give me the copper bits again and this time I accepted them. When I turned back around after helping a costumer up front, the cat and saddle bags were gone." By then, Rarity and Flutter Shy were in the sauna for the last part of their spa treatment, relaxed and feeling boneless.

"So then what happened?" The soft yellow mare was enraptured in the story that she had been listening to for the last hour. "Well after that day I would sometimes have a beautifully colored visitor with whiskers and paws sitting with something in poor condition and something else for payment. I would fix it or make a replacement and gather things for the feline to take back in exchange for whatever form of payment was given. I was one time given various flowers, though some were protected from touch, I remember that the note said that the flowers were for inspiration and the protected ones have nasty side affects. Well, enough about me darling,what did you learn from your research?"

The two friends later left the spa rejuvenated and ready to learn, gathering more books on language, history, and of course historical fashion. The strange purple, green, and light blue kitten was checked on through out the day and fed whenever he screamed in hunger. By the time his exhausted mother snuck in to pick him up and leave some bits to pay for his care, the de-transformed baby dragon was fast asleep.

Author's Note:

Is this okay? the bit at the end kept on going and I worry that it was to much.... Did I get Rarity right? feed back Please!!:fluttershysad:

edits were made to some tenses and to add a babu spike mention