• Published 27th Jun 2017
  • 2,029 Views, 48 Comments

Kindness and Loyalty - frenettek314



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy decide to take care of Scootaloo after discovering she has no family. There will be laughter and tears as the three ponies discover more about each other.

  • ...
2
 48
 2,029

Chapter 9: Calendar Chaos

It was a bright and early morning in Ponyville. The glorious sun (raised by Celestia herself) sparked a ray of light that cast through the window right next to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's bed. For Fluttershy, this was a perfect wake-up call - inviting her to partake in another fantastic day.

For Rainbow Dash, this was a nuisance that needed to tone down for another five minutes.


However, this would not be another ordinary day for the two pegasi couple as today was a particularly special day, one which Fluttershy woke up with anticipation upon the realization. As she rose up from the warm fleece blankets, the not-so-morning pegasi grumbled in mild annoyance.

"Good morning Rainbow!" Fluttershy exclaimed. "Isn't this the perfect morning for our special day?!"

Upon hearing those last two words, Rainbow shot out of the bed with panic out of the eyes as if she heard an explosion in the distance.

"Special Day?" Rainbow uttered cautiously, desperately trying to remember what could be so special about today.

Fluttershy however only giggled behind her hoof, which Rainbow found irresistibly cute.

"Sure Rainbow, think you can fool me, huh?" she playfully teased as she flew downstairs to prepare breakfast.

"Shoot" Rainbow whispered.


As soon as Fluttershy had begun preparing the buttery fluffy goodness that were her signature pancakes, Scootaloo awoke to the sounds of the succulent sizzling coming from the kitchen while Rainbow soon came downstairs, still cautious as to what she was supposed to be remembering right now.

"Good morning my two favorite pegasi" Fluttershy sung happily as she continued cooking.

This behavior was now noticed by Scootaloo as well as Angel Bunny who came out of his rabbit hole with equal looks of confusion.

"Gosh Fluttershy, what's got you in such a good mood today?" asked Scootaloo.

Fluttershy turned to smile warmly at her, a smile only the element of kindness could pull off.

"Well Scootaloo, today's a very special day of the year for Rainbow and I" she explained.

"You mean the day this story gets updated?" Scootaloo replied in a dry quip.

"Well...yes...that" Fluttershy said in embarrassment, "but it's also an important day for our relationship" she said, recovering quickly from the previous statement.

Rainbow cringed internally. "Think brain, what could today be?"

"Haha... yep. Totally special.." Rainbow answered with fake confidence, hoping it would get past Fluttershy for the time being.

It seemed to work as Fluttershy smiled in glee and returned to cooking. Scootaloo however realized Rainbow's grin faltering and alternated looks between the two pegasi with a mix of confusion and worry.

A few minutes later, the pancakes were finished and Scootaloo licked her lips with the approaching smell reaching her nose. Fluttershy's pancakes were always her favorite and she wouldn't miss them for the world.

Rainbow loved Fluttershy's pancakes as well...until the sight of them made her heart stop ice cold. Rainbow's pancakes were done in the shape of a heart, which Fluttershy squeaked in satisfaction.

"Just for you" Fluttershy cooed cutely, which what normally made Rainbow blush with a smile made her nervously sweat.

"Ah...thanks...cutie pie..." Rainbow responded slowly as if one wrong move could send Equestria into Tartarus.

For a split second however, Scootaloo could see Fluttershy's smile falter into a frown as if she were realizing what was going on with Rainbow. However, that was quickly replaced with a neutral expression as she began eating.

Scootaloo almost couldn't eat her pancakes. Today just wasn't the day for them it seems.


After the rather quiet breakfast, Fluttershy and Rainbow began cleaning up the kitchen and doing the dishes while Scootaloo helped feed Angel and some of the other indoor animals.

Fluttershy decided to initiate conversation, much to Rainbow's expense.

"So, what were you planning for today?" she asked quizzically.

Rainbow however didn't know how to answer, so she began answering truthfully.

"Well, Scoots and I were..." she began before noticing Fluttershy's heart-shattering expression.

"Oh. I thought you'd want to do something with me included as well" Fluttershy answered coldly, holding back tears with a subtly bitter front.

"D..did you want to come along?" Rainbow asked, unsure how to proceed.

"No no." Fluttershy responded quickly. "I just thought you'd want to spend today with your significant other" she finished, her body turned away from Rainbow in a rather upset manner.

"We can always do something tomorrow on our..." Rainbow began, before Fluttershy exploded out of nowhere.

"NO! FORGET IT! SILLY ME THINKING WE'D SPEND OUR ANNIVERSARY TOGETHER! ALL MORNING I SAW YOU TRYING DESPERATELY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TODAY WAS BUT I IGNORED IT THINKING MAYBE YOU WERE TEASING, TRYING TO SURPRISE ME..."

"Flutters.." Rainbow choked, upset upon realizing why Fluttershy was expecting so much from her. She hated seeing Fluttershy so upset, but the reason behind it was even worse.

"NO!" Fluttershy continued ranting, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'VE FORGOTTEN OUR ANNIVERSARY! OUR FIRST DATE EVER WAS ON THE 25TH BUT I GUESS THAT WAS TOO MUCH FOR YOU TO REMEMBER...!"

Those last few words sparked a feeling in Rainbow, almost no one had ever seen. Not sadness, rage, or even depression, but pure, quiet, subtle distraught.

"Today's the 24th." Rainbow spoke evenly, despite her expression and the tone of her voice showing that she was clearly upset at the pegasus in front of her. This was enough to stop Fluttershy's anger in her place while Scootaloo and Angel watched in awe.

"W...what?" Fluttershy choked.

"Our anniversary's on the 25th. Today's the 24th." Rainbow spoke quietly this time before silently walking upstairs and shutting the door to their room.

The three creatures remaining were shocked at what they saw. Rainbow was usually either in the wrong and would apologize profusely, or enter anger mode where she would fight til' she won. Never before have they seen her act so cold and broken, like she wasn't even there.

Fluttershy developed tears in her eyes as she realized her mistake. Looking at the calendar, she saw indeed it was the 24th. She had made the biggest mistake in their relationship by assuming Rainbow had forgotten when Fluttershy was the one in the wrong.

Fluttershy quickly bolted up to Rainbow's room, leaving Scootaloo and Angel to themselves, still comprehending the fight they just witnessed.

"Where an Applejack Fanfic when you need one?" prayed Scootaloo.


Meanwhile, upstairs, Fluttershy nervously knocked on their bedroom door, hoping Rainbow would let her in to apologize.

"Rainbow... please... can we talk?" she asked, hopeful Rainbow would listen to her plea.

Luckily, for Fluttershy, the door creaked open to reveal a Rainbow Dash with bloodshot eyes and a look that screamed miserable. (Ok, maybe that part wasn't so lucky after all).

Fluttershy internally winced upon the state of the cyan mare as she wanted nothing more than to hug her and make the pain go away.

"Rainbow... I'm.." Fluttershy began.

"I can't believe you thought I had forgotten the best day of my life." Rainbow croaked.

"I know, I.... wait, wh..what?" Fluttershy paused, hearing the last part of Rainbow's statement.

Rainbow opened the door fully and prompted Fluttershy to sit on the bed with her, which Fluttershy gratefully accepted.

"Flutters," Rainbow began, "At first, before going on our first date, I was scared because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. I thought we were going to not be right for each other. I was so nervous, I thought I was going to throw up" Rainbow answered truthfully.

"But then, during our date, everything felt right. I was so happy to see you smiling, laughing, having a good time - it was the best feeling in the world. After that night, I was the happiest I ever was. I thought to myself, it that pony loves me, I have everything I could ever need."

Fluttershy teared up happily upon hearing this. "R-really?"

"Of course" Rainbow nodded in confirmation. "I'll always remember that day, it'll be with me for as long as I live and that's why I was so upset when you had thought I had forgotten."

"Rainbow. I'm so sorry. I can't make excuses for what I did, but I promise I'll never assume the worst from you ever again" Fluttershy answered, practically begging for forgiveness.

Rainbow kissed Fluttershy's cheek. "I'll always love you."

Fluttershy blushed at the kiss, before tackling Rainbow to the bed in a warm and loving hug out of pure happiness and bliss.

"I'll always love you too" Fluttershy confirmed after several minutes of playful snuggles and kisses. "You're going to be an amazing wife someday" Fluttershy whispered as she nuzzled into Rainbow's chest.

Rainbow held back tears with a loving smile before she promptly got up to go get something.

"That reminds me. I was saving this for tomorrow, but I think now's a good time as any" Rainbow stated, holding a small box with Fluttershy's name on it.

Fluttershy, recovering from her brief state of curiosity tried to dismiss Rainbow's insistence. "Rainbow, it's fine. I can wait til tomorrow" but as she said that, Rainbow only pushed the box closer with a quirky and knowing smile, prompting Fluttershy to give in.

"Alright, I'll..." Fluttershy surrendered before opening the box to find a beautiful diamond ring, sparkling and shimmering like a heavenly light, enclosed in a beautiful black box.

As Fluttershy gasped, marveling at the ring's beauty and elegance, Rainbow took the box and kneeled one one hoof with the box held out in her wings.

"Fluttershy. You've made me the happiest mare in this world and I'd never want to be without you. You have shown me something I never thought I could have, a loving mare and a loving family. You have given me the greatest gift of all and it's time I return the favor".

"Fluttershy, will you marry me?"

Fluttershy cried tears of joy for a solid thirty seconds before nodding her head eagerly.

"Yes. I will."

Hugs were aplenty that day as Scootaloo, who curiously peeked from upstairs discovered the engagement after an explanation from Rainbow that their family would be official.

Soon, the trio were cooped up on the nice fluffy mattress as thoughts of their happy future together awaited.

"So, when's the wedding?" Scootaloo asked anxiously.

Fluttershy and Rainbow looked at each other before nodding in unison.

"When this story gets updated in 2021".

So on the day of the 24th, think not of the old settings of the unknown and unseen, but rather a chapter for new beginnings with familiarity. To Rainbow and Fluttershy, this was the greatest day in their lives.

Author's Note:

And so, I have finally updated this story after a full year and I think three certain pegasi couldn't be happier to see so.

"No matter how long, no matter how far, we'll always be together"

- frenettek314