• Published 9th Mar 2019
  • 263 Views, 72 Comments

Starlight's Symphony - Phoenix Heart 27



Music is important to a young pony!...even if it's difficult to understand.

  • ...
0
 72
 263

Sonata No. 2

By the time she was 8, Starlight was absolutely certain that she’d never get her cutie-mark. Almost all her friends had their marks by that time. Well, with the exception of her two best friends, Sprinkler (a Earthpony) and Cosmos (a Unicorn), they all had yet to get their cutie-marks. That is, until one day…

Hi guys.”, Starlight signed to her friends as they sat down to play with toys in the den of Star’s home.

“Hey Starlight. How's your break been?”, Cosmos signed and spoke to his friend.

Terrible! It's bad enough that my sister's been spending almost all her time with her stupid boyfriend when she's not practicing with her band, but now that my parents are back at work it seems like there's absolutely nopony who's willing to play with me--Oh! Aside from you two if course.”, Starlight Sonata signed as she sighed and went to her toy box and grabbed out some bright colorful scarves and a old de-lined fishing pole.

“If you thinking what I think you are, let's totally do it!”, Sprinkler signed as she picked up the scarves and together she and Cosmos tied them together onto the pole and the three of them set the pole up in the center of the room (bracing it with some logs from the fireplace). Sprinkler and Cosmos ran around carrying the scarves while Starlight Sonata played a lively little tune on the piano while her friends spun around on the makeshift maypole. Laughing the whole time. The tempo was kept as Starlight absentmindedly started tapping her hooves on the floor while she played. She got so into it, that she didn't even notice when her friends had stopped to just simply listen.

When she finished, she was smiling at the vibrations. Due to this being something she had written a few months prior, she never had an audience for it. Starlight simply took it as it was and accepted it with zero complaint.

“Star, that was awesome!”, Sprinkler signed while grinning.

“She is right! That was wonderful Starlight Sonata. Was that a new one?”, Cosmos asked as he praised his friend.

No. This is one I had finished about 2 months ago. However this was the first time for me to play it in front of somepony that wasn't my sister or parents. I love how the vibrations for this one turned out. It almost felt as if I could hear it. Like I…..Like I….used to...anyways, did the pole work?”, Starlight Sonata explained/asked as she got up from the bench.

“Yeah it worked. Although….” Sprinkler paused as she held a few discarded scarves in her hooves “...maybe we'd want to try using ribbons next time? That might be sturdier.”, she finished with a sigh.

They all agreed while they helped disassemble the “maypole” and placed it back into Starlight's toy box. Deciding that lunch would probably be a good idea, the three foals rushed to the coat rack and grabbed their spring jackets before semi-calmly walking to Starlight's room.


Shimmying under the bed, Cosmos drug a large bootbox out with him and opened it up. Inside were a large sum of bits that the three of them had been steadily adding to for the past year and a half. Each of them produced a small bag of bits from their jacket pockets and poured half of the bits out onto the floor. Cosmos counting them the entire way.

“Okay so that's $16 bits from Starlight, $20 bits from Sprinkler and $30 bits from yours truly. That leads us to…” Cosmos paused while Starlight wrote the sum out on a spare scroll then passed it to him “Ahh yes $66 bits. So if we add that to the 460 bits we already have saved that should give us--woah! $526 bits! Guys we’re getting close!”, he finished as Sprinkler signed for him.

That clubhouse is as the good as ours! I can hardly wait!”, Starlight Sonata signed in excitement. Her friends giggling faces were her natural reply.


Their laughter was cut short when the telltale sound of the front door opening alerted the trio (or for Starlight's sake a big bright flashing light went off on her bedroom wall twice for the front door) that somepony had come in. The scent and vibrations told Starlight that it was just Melody and Dessert Wind coming in. The lack of Midnight Dream’s scent told her that Midnight likely went back to her house next door. Running out downstairs and into the living room, the trio stood while the teenagers deposited their instruments on the table and began talking to one another. Completely oblivious to the three 2nd graders in the room. Waving a wing, Starlight finally got her sister's attention.

“Oh? Hey kids. How was your day?”, Melody Star asked/signed to the trio.

A chorus of ‘goods’ and one nod was the reply of the elementary school foals.

“Great. Say... didn't I promise you guys that I’d take you three out for lunch one of these days?”, Melody Star asked as Dessert signed.

“Yeah, you did!”, Cosmos said excitedly.

“Well then, you guys want to go to Hayburger? Get some Mighty Foal Meals?”, Melody asked and signed for the benefit of them all.

A chorus of ‘yes’ came from all three foals (yes even Starlight, who was so excited, she didn't even sign it. She spoke it). Chuckling, she grabbed her purse again and rooted through their coat rack to find whichever jacket she left her wallet in.

Starlight, with a knowing smirk calmly walked over to the stairs before flying up the stairs and over to her sisters’ unlocked bedroom door, she felt along the darkened hallway wall before stopping at her own door. Pressing a small tablet on the side of her door, she typed in a message to her sister downstairs.

Melody was busy trying to find her wallet when her phone vibrated. Looking at it, she sighed as she glanced at a picture of her little sister with her wallet in front of her bedroom door. Flying back upstairs, she grabbed both the wallet and Starlight Sonata and went back down to the main hall. Then they all prepared to leave.


With a proud flap of their wings, the two teenagers carried the non-flying foals while Starlight kept up with their pace fairly well. Flying was one of the many things that Starlight and Melody both agreed was best spent doing solo instead of with an adult who had a open air license (or for their case, a friend who had an open air license and one who had a permit.). An audible groan came from Starlight as she kept pace with her wings. Sensing her sister's annoyance, Melody playfully nudged her sister and gave her a all-too-knowing look. Starlight had seen that look before, except on their own mother whenever Melody complained about the unfairness of Pegasus laws in Trottingham. Finally reaching their destination, the 5 juveniles touched down and entered the nearest Hayburger for a nice lunch.