• Published 9th Mar 2019
  • 255 Views, 72 Comments

Starlight's Symphony - Phoenix Heart 27



Music is important to a young pony!...even if it's difficult to understand.

  • ...
0
 72
 255

Dance Recital Helper

By the time they were 10 and almost 19, Starlight Sonata and Melody Star pretty much had a good inkling of how the rest of their lives were to play out. Melody was getting ready to finally make a name for herself in the music business and her band had already recorded and independently released an EP a few months previous. She was also proving to be a quite accomplished dancer. Once their mother determined that the two of them were old enough to generally care for themselves, she had decided to get back into the swing of things and picked up where she left off with her dance career. After all, having a foal at age 21 and trying to balance out her ballerina dreams became something of a struggle for her and her first husband. So she took an indefinite hiatus in order to raise her little one. Now that both her girls were old enough to look after themselves (for the most part), Moondance had sat her whole family and friends down and announced this (to the shock and awe of them all before the cheers and congratulations burst forth of course). Nopony seemed the most happy about this than Melody Star though. While she was too little then to understand, Melody did have a semblance of a memory of her mother dancing on stage. It didn't help that whenever she could, Moondance would be dancing about the house.

It was with this memory that had Melody practically beg her mother to teach her how to dance at age 3. Years later, and now Melody's skills were exactly on par with her mother's as far as ballet was concerned. So much so, that it came to absolute zero surprise when she was offered multiple scholarships to dance schools across the nation. As was expected, Melody chose to hold off on her college years for a year to focus on her band (despite getting into the North Manehattan Academy of Dance….where her mother's mentor taught and her mother occasionally taught). That was okay with everypony as that meant at least one more year with Melody. It was alright with Starlight as she liked it when her big sister stayed at home in their east Trottingham neighborhood. That usually meant that she could get away with next to anything! If she wanted to play in the dining room, then there’d be no adult to stop her.

This day was one of those days, except they were both in the conservatory. Starlight lounging on the dark purple chaise along the side of the wall adjacent to the mirror wall with the wooden polished bar. Absently bouncing a rubber ball with a wing. Melody was setting her duffle bag down and getting ready to set up for dance practice. She had to be completely focused because in a few days, she would be performing her first professional solo performance at the local community center. A sort of “test” designed by the board of directors at the dance academy to see exactly what Melody had to offer live and in the flesh. Just as Starlight felt just bored enough to take a nap, she was jolted back to a sitting position at the shrill sharp sound of a radio dying.

“Damnit! My radio died! Now what am I gonna do?”, Melody said upset as she managed to save the cassette tape before her ghetto blaster took it out with it.

What’s wrong Mel?”, Starlight signed/asked as she saw her sister gingerly set her radio on the opposite side of the door that lead into the conservatory.

*sigh* My radio just died and I need it to practice my compilation! That just pissed me off.”, Melody explained to her sister as she slid down the wall in exasperated agitation.

Starlight simply sighed as she went over to her sister. A small-ish Pegasus hug was all she could think of doing at that moment to give a semblance of comfort to her older sister. Returning the hug, Melody sighed as she absently stroked her sister's back. Suddenly Starlight sprang to her hooves and started to rapidly sign something that Melody couldn't understand do to it being signed too fast.

STARLIGHT! TOO FAST! DIAL IT BACK.”, Melody Star signed in large movements so that Starlight saw that she meant it.

Nodding her head and signing a quick ‘sorry’, Starlight started again. Only much slower so that she could be understood.

I was trying to explain that I can help you! I know the pieces that you're dancing too and I can play them on ‘Misty’. That is….if you're up to having me help you practice until you get your radio fixed.”, Starlight explained more clearly.

Melody looked shocked! Here her 10-year-old foal sister was offering to help play the 7 song performance pieces required. Granted two of those songs would be paired or group dances, but who was she to be picky. She’d just practice her part. To ask this of her sister was incredible! Finally gathering her bearings, Melody signed in a clear way.

“Starry, you’d...you would do that? For me?”, Melody asked in a shocked way (as her face showed).

Starlight immediately nodded her head yes and whistled for Sunflower. When the dog came over to her mistress, Starlight gave the signs for ‘fetch’ and ‘book’. The dog seemed to understand...kinda. Sunflower came back and had with her, Starlight's composition binder. Not her composition book! Laughing, Melody instructed the dog to put that back and get the book. Fully understanding that time, Sunflower went off to the table and grabbed the big book of compositions (none of which, Starlight wrote) that her mistress asked for and happily brought it back to Starlight. Gently grabbing it from the soft mouthed dog, Starlight gently pet her and called her a good girl (the response from Sunflower, was of course a happy doggy smile and a small licking of a hoof) before setting up the first set of sheets.

Okay, which one is first?”, Starlight asked her tutu-clad sister.

Melody signed the ‘Habanera’ before Starlight began loosening her wrists and playing a saucey lively latin sounding piece. From the piano’s position to the mirror wall, Starlight could see how her sister looked as she glided across the air. She briefly wondered why her sister wasn't dancing on the actual floor, but then realized why: Melody had forgotten to put on her ballet slippers! Deciding to wait until the song was over (which wasn't long) to tell her, Starlight simply continued feeling the vibrations of the recognizable song from “Carmen”. Eventually the song came to a close and Melody came back to the floor. Turning in her seat, Starlight started chuckling.

You do realize that you did all that with no slippers on right?”, Starlight asked amongst her chuckling.

Glancing down at herself, Melody let out an embarrassed help as she went and scrambled towards her duffle bag and fished around for her white slippers. Once she found them, she quickly slipped them on and laced them so that they’d stay on. Then she went on back and hit the slab on the wall that controlled the lighting. Finding the right setting, she made sure the spotlight remained on her as she signed to her sister the next piece. The sound of papers fluttering and a almost muted squeak of happiness later the smooth sound of the "Swan Lake" opening waifs through the large conservatory. The eldest Pegasus immediately “floating” about as she lost herself to the music. As she became the swan queen, Odette. Sure it was only a small piece, but she fully threw herself into it (like she did with the Habanera). As Melody danced, Starlight got distracted by her own thoughts. Truth be told, she may have agreed to help her sister, but she wasn't all that focused on the pieces. Her thoughts were of her upcoming plans. In three weeks time, her friend, Sprinkler was having a birthday party. To celebrate, the young one decided to have an “Fillies’ Only” sleepover with the birthday filly, Starlight, their friend Rosalinda, their other friend Cinnamon Twist and Spirit Chaser. It was Starlight's first away sleepover and she was far too excited! She was so lost in thought that she didn't even feel Melody tap her on her shoulder.

Huh? Can I help you?”, Starlight asked her sister.

Yeah. Why’d you stop playing?”, Melody asked.

Vaguely paying attention, Starlight was shocked that she didn't feel any vibrations from ‘Misty’. Only the cool feeling of the keys gracing her stilled hooves. Pulling back, she shook her head and turned back to her sister.

Sorry. I just got lost in thought. My bad! Let me continue. I was at the climax wasn't I? Yes.”, Starlight responded as she began playing again. Her sister continued from where she stopped.


4 hours and two really tired fillies later…

After countless repeats and fixing of forms, the pair of tired ponies were found by their father/step-father collapsed against each other on the chaise lounge sleeping. Chuckling to himself, he managed to lift both of them up onto his back (which wasn't a easy thing to do, but he did) and flew them up to the second floor. Gently managing to deposit Melody Star into her hammock and encouraging her to change out of her leotard and tutu after he left. Then it was a bit easier to handle Starlight. Easily slipping her hoodie off of her, Rain Whip managed to tuck his little one into her...definitely getting too small for her...bed (with a little help from Starlight's dog). Making sure her nightlight was on and Sunflower was safely laying down at the foot of the bed (on the floor of course), Rain Whip crept back downstairs and fixed himself some of the leftover poppy seed and carrot lasagna that Moondance had left plenty of for them all before she left for the week to Manehattan. Sitting in the den with his dinner, he couldn't help but think of his girls as he talked on the phone with his wife.

“On one hoof, Melody had got her hammock at age 4. Starlight barely can even fit in her bed anymore. Perhaps we should get her her own hammock. What do you think honey?”, Rain Whip asked his wife via the phone.

“I think it's about time we talked about this! After all, the filly’s been dropping hints for quite some time now. Besides, that bed was a gift from Silver Song when Star was like 1. I already knew she was gonna outgrow it. I mean, shoot--the same thing happened to Melody when she was 2 actually. I remember seeing Lightning’s face when I surprised Melody with her hammock when she was 4! He looked so scared, while Melody was just so happy to have a new bed. I honestly thought he’d have a panic attack on Mel’s first night in her hammock! Funny stuff.”, Moondance stated as she laughed a bit at the memory of her first husband and her eldest foal.

“Oh I bet! I can only imagine how Melody's first night went in there.”, Rain Whip chuckled.

“Oh Melody was fine. She only fell out once and straightened herself out with her wings before she could even hit the ground.” Moondance started with a laugh “Now, Starlight I would have legitimate reason to be concerned with. After all, with her being...well the way she is, I can't help but be too dare I say, overly concerned about her safety. I mean, I’m sure we’d hear it if she did fall or if Sunflower started barking in alert, but she wouldn't hear or even feel it! You know she's not exactly a light sleeper. However, I think getting her a hammock might be a good thing.”, She finished with a small sigh.

“Exactly what I’m saying love. Besides don't those actually help our kind with anti-gravity resistance? That's something Starlight couldenefit from.”, Rain said with a small smile (despite knowing his wife couldn't see it).

“True. Then I guess we just decided then?”, Moondance asked in confirmation.

“I guess so. So when do you want me to order it from the store?”, Rain Whip answered.

“Oohh! Place it tomorrow and it should be ready by the time I get back from Manehattan. She's gonna love it!”, Moondance said with excitement.

“Yeah! By the way, how’s Manehattan?”, Rain asked.

“Oh it's fantastic! There's a new set of creatures that just joined up with the company: three ponies and a griffin. I think their natives though the earth pony didn't strike me as a ‘native’ native. Her accent sounded a bit like east Detrot or at least something similar to it. Anyways, they're pretty cool. I’ve met them all and they all apparently used to work at some old nightclub that was also a dance studio. I'm actually meeting up with them all for lunch tomorrow afternoon. Should be great! I really miss you guys. I only have two more weeks then I’m back home, I swear.”, Moondance affirmed as she told of her time away.

“Sounds amazing. We’re all missing you like crazy here too. Okay I'm sure it's pretty late over there so I'm gonna let you go.”, Rain said.

“I know. Tell the girls I said goodnight and I love them.”, Moondance said with sadness in her voice.

“Babe, they're already asleep,but I will pass along the message in the morning. Love you Moondance.”, Rain Whip spoke softer than he intended.

“Oh, I see. Well alright then. As long as the message is spoken or signed. That's all that matters. Love you too. Goodnight Rain Whip.”, Moondance responded just as soft before they hung up on each other.