• Published 6th Jun 2017
  • 996 Views, 2 Comments

The Legend of Friendship - Diary of the Storm Wings - Danieru



Cyclone Wing, Hurricane Wing, and Tornado Wing lived a hard life when they were younger. However, as long as they were together and with their dreams in mind, they were determined to change that. They decided to create the Storm Wings.

  • ...
2
 2
 996

3. Spreading your Wings

Entry number Three


I got some time to spare, might as well continue with this.
I left off with me and my brothers meeting Cloud Head and Featherbrain in the last entry.
What I am about to write was actually not too long after that. In fact, it was only hours later.

We wanted to find another town but then this huge storm appeared out of nowhere. We had no choice but to find some shelter from it.
Little did we knew that this storm would have guided us to our new home.

And...our destiny...


It was a stormy day. Probably the windiest day that Equestria has ever seen. It came right when the five ponies, Cyclone Wing, Hurricane Wing, Tornado Wing, Cloud Head, and Featherbrain were on their way for a new town.

They were flying over the badlands of Equestria and thanks to the shadows of the clouds, seeing anything in front of them was pretty hard but they managed to spot something in the middle of this storm.

“What is that?” Featherbrain wondered as he pointed at some kind of structure between some cliffs.

The other four noticed the structure as well but didn't know what exactly it was. It looked like some fortress or a castle. There were four walls surrounding it and inside of the walls was a big court. In the middle of one of the walls was a gate and across the court was the fortress at the other side.
It was a place where you could hide from the storm and that was enough for them to check it out so Cyclone Wing suggested flying down to it. Whoever was living inside of it could probably protect them until the storm was over.

But after getting closer to it, they all realized how bad in shape this fortress was. There were vines and bushes all over it and it was clearly abandoned for years, if not centuries. At least now nopony would mind if they would stay there for a while.

They entered the fortress and walked through the long hallways inside of it. As expected, nopony could be found. It was only silence inside and some noises from the rain outside. After looking all over the place, the five ponies eventually arrived at a staircase that would lead them to the upper floor. There, they ended in a big room with a big glass window at the end of it. From there, they could overlook all of the courts inside of the walls.

“What is this place?” Tornado Wing asked worried while carefully inspecting his surroundings.

“Maybe she knows...” Hurricane Wing said casually pointing at one corner of the room.

The group jumped after noticing a figure standing in the shadows of the room. They didn't even notice that there was somepony else in there. Cyclone Wing would make the first step to get closer to that figure in order to find out who it was. It could have been the owner of this fortress after all. Whoever it was, it was five against one so even if this pony was a threat they still got the advantage if things got worse.

However, the pony did not seem to make any suspicious movements and even walked up to the group slowly. After walking out of the shadows, the pony revealed itself as a Pegasus mare with a white coat, a light blue straight mane, and light blue eyes, as well as three swirls as a Cutie Mark.

“Were you looking for shelter too?” The mare asked curiously but also with caution, not seeming to trust this group of ponies at first.

She didn't seem to be any threat so Cyclone Wing approached her slowly while signaling that they were not threat either.

“We got caught by this storm on surprise and needed to find some place to stay,” Cyclone Wing explained while making sure to not frighten the mare in any way.

“I see...” she replied while looking away almost disinterested. “Well, I just stay here so that I won't bother you...”

“Why would you think that you bother us?” Cloud Head asked confused by her choice of words.

“Yes, we can spend time together until the storm is over,” Tornado Wing said, inviting the mare to their group.

“Yeah, listen to the boss!” Featherbrain added, making Tornado Wing blush in embarrassment.

“Please don't call me that in front of other ponies! It's embarrassing!” Tornado Wing replied while hiding his face under his hooves.

Cyclone Wing felt like stepping in before the mare would get the wrong idea about this group.

“I'm Cyclone Wing and those are, Tornado Wing, Hurricane Wing, Cloud Head and Featherbrain,” he introduced himself and the rest before he asked for the mares name.

“Breeze Flyer,” the mare returned hesitantly. “Listen, I don't want to sound rude but, I rather be alone, okay?” She said before she looked away from them again.

“Why do you want to be alone?” Tornado Wing asked curiously.

“It's just easier...being all alone...” Breeze Flyer replied, avoiding eye contact.

This caused the group to exchange some worried looks.

“Don't you have a family to be with? Or some friends?” Featherbrain asked a little boldly.

“I don't have a family...” she replied, instantly getting the full attention of the others. “I can't remember my parents...It was only me as long as I could think back. As for friends...I don't need those since I spent my time to steal food from honest merchants in other towns...” she explained, causing the group to once again exchange some looks to each other.

“Just like us...” Tornado Wing said hesitantly but also in a sad tone in his voice.

Breeze Flyer was surprised to hear this. Tornado Wing being the naive and innocent pony he was, quickly explained everyponies story to Breeze Flyer. She did seem to be surprised to hear the story of the others. She most likely lived the exact same life as the other five ponies, having no choice but to continue like this.

No parents.
No home.
No food.

Those words repeated themselves inside of Cyclone Wing's head. “This can't go on like this...” Cyclone Wing mumbled to himself.

The rest of the ponies overheard his words. It brought silence into the room for a moment.

“What do you mean?” Cloud Head asked.

“I mean everything!” Cyclone Wing replied almost angrily.
“Right here are six ponies who don't have a place to belong or a family to return to! You can't tell me that we have to steal and hide from everypony to make it through every day. Is this our destiny?”

This little outburst caused him to walk away from the group to face the window at the end of the room. The rest of the group didn't saw him like this before and got confused at first but his brothers knew that he was thinking about his dream right now.

“Well, what are we supposed to do then?” Cloud Head asked.

“Just something! Anything but this!” He returned angrily.

Breeze Flyer felt a little left out but was curious of how serious Cyclone Wing was from one moment to another.

“Cyclone...is it...” Tornado Wing started.

“...your dream?” Hurricane Wing finished.

”Dream?” Breeze Flyer asked confused.

Cyclone Wing took a moment to take a deep breath, calming himself down a little before he let all of his words out at once.

“Equestria is full of ponies who live a happy life. But not everypony is so lucky. We are not the only ones who live like this. There are probably much more ponies out there who are looking for a family or a place to live. I want to create a place like this. I want to make Equestria a happy place for everypony,” he said before he turned around to the group again. “I want to create a family for them to go to if there is nopony else for them,” he said as he looked at Breeze Flyer.

It felt strange for Cyclone Wing to speak this freely in front of everypony like this but right now only his determination to make his dream come true what at it's highest.
“Starting from tomorrow, I will stop stealing from anypony in order to survive. I will make this fortress our home and I will find ponies out there that I can help through this storm that we like to call life. It doesn't matter how few ponies I can help with my ambition alone and I don't care what I have to do or how little it will help but I refuse to let this all go on!” He finished before he stomped on the ground with one of his front hooves.

There was silence in the room. Even the storm outside felt like as if it had stopped for a moment. This little speech certainly left an impression on the group. Nopony even dared to say something after that until Breeze Flyer stepped up to him to confront him with reality.

“Equestria is really big. You can't possibly expect to help everypony or make everything better,”

Cyclone Wing turned his eyes to Breeze Flyer to look at her while answering her question. This was when everypony noticed how serious he was about what he said. Before he even gave an answer, Breeze Flyer could practically feel the determination in his eyes. He meant everything he said and he was not taking those words back.

“It was never a small dream, to begin with...” he only returned with a serious tone in his voice.

“A big dream that you can't possibly accomplish on your own,” Hurricane Wing said with a smile on his face, causing Cyclone Wing to return a smile himself.

“Yes. It is our dream now as well!” Tornado Wing added.

Cloud Head and Featherbrain had some doubts and felt like it was impossible but after seeing the determination of the three brothers they just had to join in.

“If the boss is helping, then we will help too!” Featherbrain said excitedly while Cloud Head nodded in agreement.

This only left Breeze Flyer who thought that it was crazy for them to say stuff like that all of the sudden. She barely knew any of those ponies and from one moment to another they were speaking about changing Equestria. It was just crazy. But at the same time, thinking that their “dream” could come true made her feel happy.

“I would really like to see this Equestria...” she said after seeing the five ponies excitement.

“You can help us to create it,” Cyclone Wing said, offering his front hoof to her.

She accepted and smiled in return without hesitation, causing the rest to smile as well.


On the next morning...


Unlike the day before, the next morning was bright and warm instead of cold and rainy.
The six ponies walked in line along the court of the fortress. All of them happy and determined to start their new work.

“So just like that? We just travel to one town to another and do work for other ponies?” Cloud Head asked.

“Exactly. It doesn't matter what as long as we can help somepony,” Cyclone Wing replied confidently.

“You mean like freelancers?” Featherbrain asked.

“Sort of. We have to charge bits for it after all,”

“You want to make Equestria a better place but you charge money for it?” Breeze Flyer wondered seeing some flaws in Cyclone Wing's logic.

“We still have to make sure that we can make a living. Gratitude won't fill our bellies,”

“It will probably a lot of work,” Tornado Wing said in concern.

“Hey, building Canterlot took a long time too,” Hurricane Wing said trying to boost Tornado Wing's confidence.

During all this talking Cyclone Wings excitement was unshaken. He was happy that his friends and brothers were supporting him with his dream. It only made him feel more confident.

“How about getting a name for our group then?” Featherbrain suggested.

Nopony actually thought about that until now. They all began thinking but Hurricane Wing had a quick suggestion.

“How about, Storm Wings?” Hurricane Wing said out of the blue.

“How did you come up with this name?” Breeze Flyer asked.

“Well, the group was created in a storm and...we all have wings,” he explained, showing off his wings to everypony.

“I like it!” Tornado Wing said.

“You would have liked every name he said,” Cyclone Wing said.

“...So?” Tornado Wing returned.

There were some more casual conversations like this while they made their way to the nearest town to start finding some work. For such a big thing to start they went into it really happily and with no worry at all.

But maybe that was just the right approach...


And just like that, everything started. The Storm Wings were born. A group of ponies with no home or a family banded together and tried to make Equestria a better place for everypony.

We made the fortress to our base of operation and cleaned it up little by little, soon calling it the Storm Fortress and our home.

We started by offering our services to almost everypony all around Equestria. It didn't matter what we had to do as long as we got bits for it. For Somepony who wanted to make Equestria a better place, this sure sounds selfish but the harsh truth was that we needed bits to afford food. It was of course, better than stealing food for the rest of our lives, everypony agreed on that.

As it turns out, many ponies in Equestria were willing to pay for honest work, whether it was helping out on a farm, repairing some damaged buildings, or ironically, dealing with criminals or dangerous creatures in Equestria.

I remember one particularly mission that set the course of the Storm Wing's reputation but I think I will write about that one next time.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you did, then please leave some kind of feedback and let me know.
It would be much appreciated.

I'll see you in the next chapter ^^.