• Published 29th May 2017
  • 2,821 Views, 73 Comments

The wrath of Daybreaker - Hyper44



What if Celestia became something that nightmares are made of? What if Nightmare Moon never existed and Daybreaker took her place?

  • ...
4
 73
 2,821

A battle for the throne

Luna’s blood ran cold from her ear tips to her hooves. Daybreaker could not know what she was doing here! She would snatch away the Elements of Harmony and all would be lost.

“I asked you what you were doing here?” Daybreaker cooed in a soft menacing voice as she circled Luna. “Are you too scared to even look at me... Just what are you up too little sister?”

Luna slowly opened her eyes and found herself looking at the single throne standing at the end of the walkway. Daybreaker kept circling. “I guess I didn’t finish you off good enough last time so did you come let me know that I needed to finish the job?”

“I have come to fight for the throne!” Luna declared stomping a hoof and doing her best to scowl arrogantly despite being terrified. “I deserve to be princess…Not you!”

“Oh! Little baby Lulu has come to fight the big bad pony for the throne,” Daybreaker taunted with a mocking sad expression on her face. Then just as suddenly she bared her teeth in a delighted grin. “I would love a fight if I can only find a worthy opponent.” She stopped circling and headed in the direction of the throne. “Just one thing that you need to know Lulu…”

Daybreaker suddenly spun and fired so fast that Luna’s mind barely had time to realize what was happening. She dove aside feeling the blast scrape her side, burning her coat. Rolling across the floor she evaded Daybreaker’s stomping hooves as the insane mare chased her across the room. With one last rapid roll Luna gathered her hind hooves beneath her and kicked off the floor. Leaping over Daybreaker’s head she spread her wings and flew up towards what was left of the ceiling.

With a snarl Dayreaker spun aiming her horn at her sister flying above but her eyes widened as suddenly her sister multiplied into a dozen ponies who darted randomly around the room.

‘Wretch!” Daybreaker roared as she started blasting at the images of her sister. She snarled each time a blast went right through a doppelganger and hit the wall. Up on top the roof above Luna crept to the gap in the ceiling and looked down at her sister destroying the throne room in her rage. Suddenly Daybreaker stopped and rolled her eyes upwards. With the speed of a lightning bolt she lunged and shot upwards aiming her horn right for Luna’s neck. The younger mare leaped back a split second before her sister reached her. Instinctively Luna kicked out with her hind hooves in mid-leap. Daybreaker gasped as they connected with her chest and sent her tumbling across the roof.

As Luna regained her footing she spotted Daybreaker wheezing and struggling to stand. For the first time Luna realized that she may stand a chance after all. Daybreaker may be more powerful but how many times had she and her sister defeated more powerful opponents? She had also spent years training with her sister. She knew many of her sibling’s tactics just as she knew her’s. Not only that, sparring with her sister had trained her to deal with a more powerful opponent on her own.

Then, still wheezing Daybreaker glared daggers at Luna before firing a blast of flame reminding Luna had deadly serious this “sparring” match was. “Are you going to fight or scramble around like a frightened mouse?” Daybreaker snarled. Luna flapped a wing over the one side where her coat was smoldering from the close call. Then she looked at her sister, smirked and then vanished in a flash of light.

Flame danced wildly as Daybreaker roared in rage. She leapt from the building and began circling above the castle. Fire burned from her horn as she reached out to the sun and readied to strike at the first glimpse of her sister. She flew around once, twice, thrice growing more frustrated by the second. Just as she started her fourth lap she was suddenly struck from below by a powerful blast that sent her backflipping through the air. Snarling like a mad beast Daybreaker righted herself and fired with the heat of the sun before even looking. Only in that moment she realized that Luna had covered herself with a gleaming shield with a mirror surface. Daybreaker saw her image in the reflective magic barrier just before it was blotted out by the heat blast as it smashed into shield and shot back faster than before. A split second before it hit Daybreaker lunged horn first and split the wave with the tip.

Luna peeked out from behind her shield just in time to see Daybreaker sending a massive wave of magic at her. She yelped and ducked back behind her protection. She felt the impact sending her and her shield skidding backwards. A sound like shattering glass rang in her ears as her shield broke and Luna looked up to see Daybreaker hurtling at her with a terrifying expression of pure rage. Luna just managed to dodge as a second blast smashed another hole into castle roof. With her wings pounding the air Luna fled across the Everfree with Daybreaker after her like a flaming comment. The mare's entire body was consumed with flame. Fire erupted from her nostrils and even out of her mouth as she pursued her prey like a deranged beast. Luna Hardly had time to think as she both struggled to stay ahead of her sister and dodge each blast that would have incinerated her. Tress, land and the castle suffered the power of Daybreaker's wrath.

Soon Luna’s lungs and muscles burned in the effort to keep up such a pace. She had to stop this soon or the forest would be badly damaged and any hiding ponies would be hurt. Of course, even if she didn’t think of something it would be over soon enough once her muscles began to falter.

If Daybreaker was feeling the strain she didn’t show it. She continued to beat the air with her wings and fire endlessly at her opponent. Luna began teleporting randomly but Daybreaker never lost her teleporting with her and targeting Luna where ever she appeared. Suddenly appearing the statue garden Luna faltered as a blast slammed down into the path. The ground shook, dying bushes caught fire and the stone path shattered into rubble. When the dust cleared Daybreaker found herself looking at nothing but smoldering ash. The flames on her body began to die and she hovered above the garden. Then the flames flickered wildly again as she laughed so hard that she could not stay stable in the air and collapsed into the ashes.