• Published 29th May 2017
  • 2,819 Views, 73 Comments

The wrath of Daybreaker - Hyper44



What if Celestia became something that nightmares are made of? What if Nightmare Moon never existed and Daybreaker took her place?

  • ...
4
 73
 2,819

The Dragon

Luna cloaked herself with an invisibility spell and hovered over two stallions as they pushed an enclosed metal cart across the flatland towards the rocky hills in the distance.

“Push harder Rubble,” One of them grumbled. “You ever know when somepony is going to come along.”

“Push harder huh?” His companion snorted. “Who don’t you? Don’t you remember that I did most of the work while you played ‘lookout?’”

“Well, somepony had to ensure that we weren’t spotted.”

“Alright then, why don’t I go be the lookout now while you push Sandstone?”

“Hey, do you want to go back to the rock farm? If you want to go ahead, but I’m not going to ever go back to that life.” Sandstone snorted.

“You might as go back because you’re not getting any magic out of me.” A voice snarled from inside the box.

“Then you’re going to stay in there forever-AAHHH!” Sandstone yelped and ducked just in time as a burst of flame exploded out of a tiny window in the metal cart.

Luna shed her invisibility spell and landed hard on the ground next to the cart. The two ponies yelped and scrambled backwards in a panic. Luna glared at them with her previous anger mixing with new. “Did you not know that it is illegal to capture sentient creatures and to attempt to extort wish dragons for their magic?” Luna demanded in a regal voice.

The two ponies blinked at her in a stunned silence for a while. “H-how is this a dream,” Sandstone stammered looking at Rubble. “This does not feel like a dream.”

“You are not dreaming,” Luna snapped stomping a hoof. “I am just as real as my sister and you two have been caught kidnapping and breaking the law. Give me one good reason why you shouldn’t be sent to the dungeons.”

The two ponies dithered about shuffling their hooves under her glare while the mini dragon inside the metal cart voiced his opinion, “Dump them in the dungeons.”

“We can’t stand working on a rock farm anymore!” Rubble finally spoke up. “So we needed him to grant us wishes but he refused.”

“There are many other options to changing one’s lot in life other than instant riches.” Luna snapped. “Go make you own way rather than taking it from others.”

The two stallions backed up more but they didn’t flee or bow. “Does she have the authority? I mean she is only the princess of the night and not the real ruler like Princess Celestia,” Sandstone mumbled to Rubble.

“ONLY THE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT AND NOT THE REAL RULER!” Luna roared I a voice that would have put a lion to shame and the two ponies vanished in a single flash of light. “Let’s see if you stay in the dungeons being sent there by only the princess of the night!” With a twist of her neck she tore the metal cart to pieces and a reddish-brown dragon jumped out.

“I didn’t really expect help from another pony,” he said disdainfully, “I don’t suppose you’re going to ask for a wish for a reward for my rescue because you won’t get it.”

If Luna heard him she didn’t show it. Her eyes flashed as they focused on the remains of the cart. She bared her teeth like a wild beast and the pieces of metal melted into liquid. The dragon blinked and then slowly inched away before he flew off to the rocky hill that was sure to be full of hiding places.

* * *

After taking time to calm down again Luna flew back to the castle that she shared with her sister. She was a little embarrassed about her outburst bust she couldn’t really care. All she could think about was how ponies have come to see her. To some she was a child compared to her sister and was given out petty duties. Too others she was not much more than a dream. Some saw her as nothing more than a figure that stood in the background always behind her sister while others hardly seemed to see her at all. This was so far than what it had been, yet somehow her sister had only grown brighter in their eyes.

The sun was nearly an hour from setting and Luna could almost feel the moon calling to her to reach out to it. That time couldn’t come soon enough. How she loathed knowing that the night must end and that wrenched sun would again be back in the sky.

“Luna!” Celestia called as her sister flew in through a tower window. Luna turned to see Celestia hurrying her way. “I was looking for you to ask if you wanted to preside of the hearings this evening.”

“No thanks,” Luna grumbled flatly, “They’ll only pay attention to you, the real ruler and ignore me, who is only the princess of the night.”

“What.. Luna I mean for you alone to preside over the hearings. You are just as capable as me and this will help the citizens of Equestria to get used to seeing you on a regular basis.”

“I met some citizens today,” Luna replied in a bitter voice. “First I watched them cheer the second that you walked out of the castle doors. Then I flew to the Pegasus city to help them with creating the weather. The only thing that they seemed to wonder is where is Princess Celestia? Oh, she must have been to busy so she must have given the chore to me since I had nothing to do. After that I spotted to stallions who had captured a wish dragon. When I confronted them they were not even sure that I could really give them orders because I was not the real ruler after all.” She said the last words with a bitter mocking voice.

Celestia blinked at her in stunned silence a moment. “Oh… I guess that would explain the two terrified ponies who appeared in our dungeons,” Celestia said trying lighten up the tone. Luna glared at her unamused.

“Luna,” Celestia pleaded, “Please don’t take it so hard, they simply don’t understand. With all the hard struggles that they’ve been through and are still going through it’s easy for ponies with finite lives to forget and become confused. Especially when they are born to a time when you are rarely seen beyond dreams. With time, they will change.”

“Don’t take it so hard!” Luna snapped. “Easy for you to say since you’ve never been in my position! All you have to do is show your face and they are overjoyed. You have no idea what it is like to work so hard for ponies who hardly recognize you, who shun the beautiful night that you provide for them! You have no idea what it’s like to have ponies stare at you as if you were a dream or always look past you to somepony else! Why do you always have to be the perfect adored princess!”

“Luna! I am not perfect, nor have I ever claimed to be. I-“

“Then why do you seem to be?! Everything simply works out perfectly for you with everypony raving about how amazing you are.”

“If you think that everything works itself out for me and my life a breeze then you know little about it,” Celestia stated firmly. “What do you want me to do? Do things wrong on purpose? Luna, this is only a phase. If you would only be patient and work at your relationship with our citizens then things will change. Your anger will only make it worse.”

“Easy for you to say when you are not walking in my hoofsteps,” Luna growled again.

“Do you want to preside over the hearings or not?” Celestia asked with a deep sigh. Luna just snorted and trotted off down the hall. Celestia watched her go slamming the door behind her. With a moan Celestia leaned her head on the cold stone. “What do I do?”

* * *

It was easy work raising the moon. It covered the land with its soft pale light and Luna basked it in. If only it could take away the terrible anger and frustration that was gnawing at her. If only I could make Celestia feel how I feel! If only I could make her be the one ignored while she watched ponies adore me! If only they would love the night and shun the day! Luna thought bitterly. But sadly, there was no such magic that she possessed that could make such a thing happen. Then a memory popped into her head with a small but delightful idea. There was a creature she knew of that could even alter fate itself in one turn and being a princess, she had plenty to trade for it.
Luna instantly spun around in the air and flew across the sky leaving ponies to their own devices to deal with their dreams.