• Published 29th May 2017
  • 2,819 Views, 73 Comments

The wrath of Daybreaker - Hyper44



What if Celestia became something that nightmares are made of? What if Nightmare Moon never existed and Daybreaker took her place?

  • ...
4
 73
 2,819

The new dawn

Princess Luna could see the mountains that boarded Equestria looming ahead when suddenly the night melted away and the stars vanished. She spun around and stared in shock at the sun hovering in the sky in the middle of the night. There was no gentle warmth falling down on the earth either. Instead it sent out waves of blistering heat.

Despite the scorching temperature, icy fear ran down Luna’s spine. “She wouldn’t!”

“Luna! Princess Luna!” A terrified voice cried out. Luna looked down to see a group of ponies huddled under the shade of a tree. She quickly dipped her wings and flew down to them.

“What is happening?” A mare cried looking up that the sun as it cast down its scorching glare.

“I don’t know but go home and stay there until night falls again,” Luna instructed casing a cooling spell over them. The ponies streaked away to get inside before the spell wore off. Casting a similar spell on herself Luna leapt back into the air. Even with the spell sweat beaded on her brow as she pounded her wings against their air. Picturing the castle in her mind Luna vanished and reappeared over the stone structure. Her momentum nearly took her right past it. Yet, even before Luna managed to stop herself she saw the gaping hole in the roof the throne room.

Fearing the worst, Luna dove into the nearest window. She landed in the hallway and stood ready with her wings raised and her horn alight. It had to be some horrible beast who harmed her sister… though what other being could raise the sun! Discord! Luna bolted down the hall to look out over the gardens. There was his statue standing silent as ever with his mocking face looking up at the scorching sun.

A sudden scuffling sound to her right made Luna jump and take another fighting stance. At the far end of the hall, terrified eyes stared at her. Luna slowly stalked forward until she could make out the figures hiding the shade of a broken door. A guard was crouching in front of several servants who were huddled in terror against the wall. While he was taking on the role of protector, the guards eyes were just as terrified as theirs'.

Luna continued to move slowly as they looked as if any sudden movement would spook them. “What has happened?” She asked softly and slowly.

“Princess Celestia… is not Princess Celestia.” The guard whispered as if he thought she would overhear. His eyes darted around the room and his ears twitched and swiveled as he listened for the slightest sound.

“What are you talking about?” Luna pressed struggling not to raise her voice or let it quiver.

“It’s in the throne room.” He replied so softly that Luna could barely hear him.

Seeing that it was useless to seek answers from him Luna just nodded. “Whatever it is, I’ll take care of it.” She turned and quickly headed to the throne room with no idea what she would find and terrified of finding it. When she neared Luna slowed down and stalked forward noiselessly. She could detect the smell of smoke filtering out of the half open door and as she drew closer her ears perked up. A light sound repeated over and over. It took her a moment but she realized that it was the sound of tearing cloth.

Reaching the door Luna stayed behind it a moment breathing deep as her heart pounded in her chest. After a few moments of trying to steady herself and then realizing that it was useless, Luna crept around the door. Her feet froze to the floor at the sight that greeted her. Her throne had been shattered into rubble. The sun glared directly though the hole in the roof and the floors and walls were marred with scorch marks. Standing next to her sister’s throne was a white mare with fire for a mane and tail. She wore golden armor and had fangs that were visible even when her mouth was closed. Worst of all, she had her sister’s cutie mark. The mare had her back to Luna and was focused on her task. She held Luna’s night tapestry in her magic and tiny piece by tiny piece she was ripping it apart. She dropped each piece to floor making it burst into flame before it landed.

Luna stood motionless for a while, too scared and too shocked to react. Finally, she opened her mouth speak but only a strange sound manged to make its way out. The mare spun around and snarled like a wild beast showing her fangs and making Luna jump. Then mare was suddenly calm and smiled at her. The smile was more frightening than the snarl.

“Little sister,” She said, “I was wondering when you would come.”

“Celestia…” Luan started.

“NO!” The mare snapped, “I am Daybreaker and welcome to the new dawn.”

“Celestia what…”

“I am not Celestia!” The mare roared and the flame of her mane and tail danced wildly, crackling as it did.

“Sister,” Luna started again unable to call Celestia by the new name, “What happened to you? Why did you raise the sun? It is night.”

“It is not night, it will never again be the time for night,” Daybreaker replied simply. “Therefore, there is no more need for you Luna. You are not a princess of Equestria anymore.”

Luna struggled to keep from hyperventilating. “Cel… sister, you can’t. Ponies can’t live like this and the heat will kill them anyway. You have to stop this.”

“Oh,” Daybreaker paused in thought for a moment, “That is perfect!” She suddenly declared. “I don’t need those ponies, those wretches who turned their back on me. There are other creatures who can survive under such heat. Like the massive greed dragons… yes. I will bend them to my will and make them my subjects.”

“Sister… stop… your scaring me,” Luna whispered.

Daybreaker slapped her hooves to her cheeks in mock despair. “Oh! Is poor Lulu scared? Poor, poor thing. That is why you are not going to be princess anymore, you are too weak,” Daybreaker snarled snatching the crown off of Luna’s head with her magic.

“If you will stop and lower the sun I will give up being a princess,” Luna promised.

“I am in no position that I would have to bargain,” Daybreaker laughed, “Though, do you not understand? For as long as you elements of all three pony races you are a princess, crown or no crown.”

“What?!” Luna gasped.

“You heard me. You can lose the wings and be a unicorn, you can be a Pegasus, or you can be an earth pony. Take your pick. I’m powerful enough to cast such a spell and you probably won’t be hurt… much.”

“Celestia you can’t do this,” Luna pleaded slowly backing up, “It doesn’t have to be this way.”

“Daybreaker!” The mare snapped baring her fangs, “And yes it does have to be this way,” She said slowly stalking forward. “There can only be one princess now. You can choose to fight for the throne or surrender. What is it going to be Lulu?”