• Published 29th May 2017
  • 2,820 Views, 73 Comments

The wrath of Daybreaker - Hyper44



What if Celestia became something that nightmares are made of? What if Nightmare Moon never existed and Daybreaker took her place?

  • ...
4
 73
 2,820

A change of heart

The moment Celestia woke she flinched at a dull pain in her chest. Somewhere, faintly as if on the edge of a dream she could sense a memory of something like talons gripping her heart. However, as the pain in her chest faded so did that trace of a memory. She blinked as she looked around aware that something was different. She didn’t really know what but for some reason she didn’t really care.

It was time to raise the sun but was keeping a perfect schedule for everypony really worth getting up now? Since when did anypony ever work around her schedule? She snorted and rolled out of bed. Striding across the room she kicked open the doors to her balcony. Standing on her hind legs Celestia lit up her horn and jerked the sun above the horizon. Spinning on her heels Celestia strode back into the castle. She kicked open the doors to her room making the guards jump. Golden hooves sounded on the stone floor as the princess strode down the hall. She held her head high, shoulder back and neither looked left nor right, not even when ponies bowed or guards saluted. Most noticed that there was something different about her walk, the way she carried herself but it was hard to place a hoof on it. For some it looked like a stride of arrogance and pride but naa. It couldn't be. That wasn’t Celestia at all.

A servant had a breakfast table set and ready and bowed deeply with a smile as the princess approached. “I made your favorites this morning,” She said happily, “Is there anything else that I can get you?”

Celestia just waived her off with a motion of her wing. With a hurt look on her face the pony bowed again and hurried away. Celestia hardly noticed. She was too irritated and restless this morning to have time for troublesome little ponies. For some reason, she just wasn’t herself today. Celestia normally would have immediately been alarmed but as she was she could hardly ponder it.

A door creaked open and a stallion walked in carrying a bundle of scrolls. He bowed and placed them beside her. “The daily reports your majesty,” he said with a bow.

“How many are lined up for hearings today,” The princess asked with a grumble.

“Um, none your majesty,” He replied.

“None!”

“Yes, we received messages that many ponies stayed up late last night watching the dancing lights that Princess Luna decorated the skies with. Many stated that they were too tired and would have to postpone. Others simply didn’t show up.”

Celesita narrowed her eyes only now noticing the exhaustion on his face. “Just be sure to remember that some ponies still have duties even if they stay up late. That is all.”

“Yes, your majesty,” He said with yet another bow and left.

Once he was gone Celestia snorted and opened the first scroll. “Well, I guess that Luna finally got what she wanted. Maybe that will keep the little brat happy for a while.” She suddenly paused realizing what she had just said. Then she shrugged and refocused on the scroll. “Well, she just shouldn’t be such a brat.”

Before she finished the first scroll the door creaked and Princess Luna walked up with her head low and her eyes on the floor. Celestia didn’t bother to greet her as usual.

She’s just a little angry that’s all, Luna thought, and she has every right to be. How do I start? I guess just by starting.

“Sister…” Luna began. Celestia slowly lowered the scroll and peered disdainfully over the top. Luna flinched. Ok, maybe very angry. “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry. I know that I never should have acted that way. It’s not your fault and I know you were only trying to help me but I only responded with scorn instead of gratitude. For that, I am very sorry.”

Celestia continued to stare at her a moment before replying, “I’m that you realized that.” Then she just raised the scroll again and ignored her. Luna took a step back feeling as if she had been slapped in the face. “Sister…”

“Luna I am very busy,” Celestia replied curtly.

“Of… of course sister,” Luna stammred and then stumbled out of the room. Once out Luna forced herself to walk normally and took deep breaths to calm herself.

“She’s fine,” She reassured herself, “Celestia is still herself. Sure she’s never been like that before but she’s just still a little angry, that’s all. She’ll be fine later. There’s no way some wish would make her change, I’m sure of it.” Luna stopped and stood still in the hallway a moment. Then she bolted down the passageway as fast as her legs would carry her. This wish had to be undone!