• Published 30th May 2017
  • 602 Views, 20 Comments

The Scholar Mare and the Stories of Souls - Mr BHunt



A certain purple mare appears in a dark and cold place, there she finds many a soul with a story.

  • ...
3
 20
 602

The Lost Wanderer

Twilight grinned in excitement when she heard the news from her mentor, that her first teleportation test will happen that night. So Twilight did what all other young mares do, squeal in joy and study almost in a trance for the rest of the day. Finally the clock in the library rung and Twilight perked up, then she quickly remembered what was so important.

"Gah! My test!" The purple unicorn quickly bolted from the room, the book that rested in front of her flying into the air, but as it fell purple magic grabbed it and slipped it back onto a shelf. Twilight skidded into Princess Celestia's private room with a worried and wild look in her eyes, but the Princess just giggled at her student.

"Nice of you to join me, Twilight." Celestia said with a warm smile, but Twilight didn't notice.

"I'msosorryI'mlateprincessIwasreadingandlosttrackofthetime-" Twilight's endless apology was quickly cut short when Celestia put a hoof on her shoulder, the Princess looked into her students wide eyes and smiled again.

"It's alright, Twilight. You're right on time, now come. Let's see what you've learned." Celestia said as she trotted to the centre of the room, Twilight hurrying after. The Princess stopped and pointed to across the room, Twilight looked with calculations running wild in her head. "Twilight, Teleport there. It's just a small jump, but I'd rather start off small." Celestia stated and watched the eager mare disappear in a flash of purple, then she waited for Twilight's appearance. She waited a minute and then she got worried, another two and finally the mare asked.

"T-Twilight?"


Twilight shivered when she appeared, wait... shivered? Twilight glanced around and realised in horror that she wasn't in the castle anymore, but in fact in a large meadow of white flowers and spikes of ice and the cold was due to the snow that drifted down. She turned and gasped, in the back of the meadow was a massive stone tower and under the arches the held it up, was a figure. The purple mare considered her options, then quickly moved towards the tower. She walked though one of the arches and found a flaming sword stabbed in a pile of ash and bones, she shivered again. But what really caught her eye was the large gravestone and seated in front of it, it was like a Minotaur but without horns.

"H-hello?" Twilight greeted through clattering teeth, the figure turned their head and looked at Twilight. Quickly Twilight saw the figure as a male, due to the strong features and small amounts of facial hair. The male's hair and beard were blond and his face was sharp and his cheeks were thin, indicating that this creature doesn't eat much. The male was also wearing a thick cloak that covered the rest of his body. The figure gazed at Twilight for a minute before waving over his shoulder, Twilight sat by the flaming sword and looked deep into its flames.

The figure stood up and turned around, revealing underneath the cloak was a large chestplate; bloody and dented. He wore thick, woolly trousers and fur boots. On his clawless-claws he wore a pair of heavy metal gauntlets. The male walked to the bonfire and sat down, opposite Twilight.

"W-wh-ha-" The male coughed violently when he spoke, his voice was extremely croaky as if he hadn't talked for a long time. "W-wha-t b-ri-ngs yo-u her-e?" The male coughed again, but he managed to say an audible sentance.

"I was doing a teleportation... test... oh no." Twilight slowly said before putting her face into her hooves. "I-I'm in the middle of nowhere and now Celestia's gonna fail me." Twilight whimpered, the male grunted.

"Y-you ca-re abo-ut a test more th-an your own life?" The male said, still a bit croaky. "That's a b-ad mindset in this place, in the Painting of Ariandel." The male said and leaned back, his face curling into a smirk. "Ma-ny a traveler have fallen to its beauty, including myself." The male pulled a small keg from behind his back and raised it to his lips, but then he looked at Twilight. "Here, a special brew from an o-ld friend." Twilight hesitated but took the keg, immediately her hooves warmed up and she took a sip from the top.

"Mmm, tastes wonderful." Twilight murmured and took a swig, then coughed as the brew hit her stomach and the creature laughed.

"You... yo-u can taste?" The cloaked male asked, Twilight nodded and the creature hummed. "You aren't undead, are you? Figures, oh well. I may as well introduce myself as best I can." The creature slowly got to his feat and bowed to Twilight, whose eyebrow rose at the action. "I am a humble wanderer, lost to my own goal to keep from hollowing. I have no name, I have no home and no hope." The Wander stated and sat back down, his face grim. "I... I set out, just to explore... then that bloody Darksign appeared and then I was forced to attempt that bloody linking, then I was burnt to a crisp and awoken in gods knows where!" The wanderer let out a sigh and looked up at Twilight, who was quite confused. "I found my way here, after going through hell, and killed the guardian of this little place. Now I stay here, with the threat of hollowing near. I don't want to link that fire, but... It's all I was brought back to do." The male looked down again, into the flames of the sword.

"What... what happens if you do, link the fire that is?" Twilight asks, the man growls and the unicorn readied a spell to blind him.

"It starts again..." The wanderer snarled and glared at Twilight, his eyes a fury. "Everything starts again, then ends then starts and ends again! It's a cycle! A never ending cycle of pain and misery!" The male screamed in rage, waving his arms in the air. "I can't die! I live, die then live again! Tell me, if you had a choice, would you stay in that tranquil place of death?" The wanderer asked quietly, Twilight frowned.

"If I was an old mare, then yes." The wanderer snorted at the answer.

"Well I don't have that choice, I only had the cycle. So I decided to go against it, I've had enough of killing those lords. They deserve rest too." The male finished quietly, after a minute of silence he looked up to see Twilight still there. "Why?" The wanderer asks.

"Pardon?" Twilight questions and the male's eyes sparkle slightly, then a lone tear slides down his cheek.

"Why do we suffer, for something we didn't make? Why is it us mortals that have to deal with what the gods did? We..." The wanderer sniffs and wipes his face. "I watched my friend become a lord, he told me that it was for the good of the people. I killed him three times, my own friend died by my blade three times."

The creature stands up and walks towards the massive tombstone, Twilight watches him walk. The male slowly turns his head and looks at Twilight, a smile on his face.

"It has been too long since I've talked to anybody, thank you." The male said and Twilight blinked. "I know of a few others that would appreciate your support, even if you don't realise it you helped me." Then Twilight sees the flames erupt and cover her body, the wanderer sighs when the mare disappears. But he just shakes his head and sits back down, but this time a half naked figure sat next to him, in the newcomer's hands were a staff and a sword.


3 Days later...

A man in a torn and tattered suit of armor dropped into the meadow, his eyes locked on the massive tower. But as he approached it, he realised the Gravetender wasn't alone, there was another man in thicker armor with a large cloak that hung from his back. The Gravetender stands and turns, pulling his sword from the snowy flowers and glares at the new Ashen One. Soon the Lost Wanderer stands and raises a large sword to the sky, then he and the Gravetender charge the Ashen One, who stumbles back in surprise at the aggressive pair. They quickly slaughter the Ashen One and wander back to the tower, the Lost Wanderer's thoughts on that little purple mare.

Author's Note:

This new story is gonna be a bunch of mini stories about characters I've used in Dark Souls 3, some I've made specific builds for and others just using my main character with different armor.

So how is this new little story? For the next one is about a pair of knights, old and young.