• Published 30th May 2017
  • 599 Views, 20 Comments

The Scholar Mare and the Stories of Souls - Mr BHunt



A certain purple mare appears in a dark and cold place, there she finds many a soul with a story.

  • ...
3
 20
 599

The Lance, The Long Bow and The Tower

Twilight appeared in a large courtyard, in what appeared to be a massive palace. The unicorn saw a open doorway and trotted through it, immediately spotting a trio of men. One was sitting against a large tilted, wooden plank, he was wearing what looked like a suit of normal knight's armor to Twilight. The second was leaning against a stone wall, he was wearing what looked like normal clothes, though two weird lumps were visibly pushing the top forward a bit. Lastly, the third was standing tall in front of the pair in a suit of large armor with a massive shield in his hand, covering most of his body. He was the first to spot the purple unicorn.

"Halt! State your business!" The man's voice was harsh and blunt, which caused the two others to look up. The leaning man quickly pushed off the wall and pulled out a bow, while the sitting one got up and unsheathed a large sword.

"I- uh- I-I don't h-have any?" Twilight stammered as she realised how bad of a situation she was in, if these men were hostile, she couldn't do much to hurt them. Her answer confused the shield knight as he peered over the top of his greatshield.

"Then how did you get in?" The knight asked, but the archer put a hand in front of the knight.

"Alfred, that shield must be blinding you, that isn't a human." The voice of the man shocked Twilight, it was quiet and more pitched than the knight's, then Twilight she realised that this 'man' was female. "It's a horse."

"No it isn't, too small, must be a pony." The other knight said, his voice was light but held a sharp edge to it. "And it can talk, which is very strange."

"That means it's a damn demon!" The first knight, Alfred, stated as he poked a long, barbed spear at Twilight from around his shield.

"Gods damnit, Alfred, even Oolan has the thought to not attack the first thing that's come around that corner today." The second knight said with a sigh.

"I'd hold my tongue if I were you, Metas, I'm ready to stop yet another passing through here, but first I want to know how that little pony managed to get here." The archer, now known as Oolan, said to the other knight, Metas. Oolan looked at Twilight, her bow lowered but still ready to be aimed and fired. "So, how did you get here, pony?"

Twilight blinked and frowned slightly. "I... don't know. I've been traveling in this place for hours, maybe days, after getting covered by fire." The unicorn explained, immediately Alfred poked his spear out again.

"That's impos-" The knight began to shout, but the swordsman quickly moved forward and smacked Alfred over the head.

"God's almighty, shut it already!" Metas yelled as Alfred grumbled and shook his head. "Continue, pony!"

"Um... alright. I've travelled many places now, a forest and a castle, well now that's three times. But... I can't get back home, back to my family." Twilight trailed off and gazed at the ground, causing Oolan and Metas to exchange a quick glance. But they were quickly surprised to hear a loud thud, they looked forwards to see that Alfred had moved his shield to the side.

"A lost soul, one that lost her family." Alfred stated with a more quiet voice, Twilight looked up in surprise. "You've convinced me, you aren't a demon. For all I care, you are an orphan, and if I could I'd gladly take you as my own." Alfred shook his head and said with a happier and louder voice. "But I just realised that none of use have introduced ourselves! I am Alfred, Knight of the Tower, at your service!" The knight bowed slightly.

"I'm Oolan, the Longbow, and if Alfred trusts you then I guess I can too." The archer said with a nod as she finally slung her bow over her shoulder.

"I am Metas, the Knight of the Lance, I'm surprised that both my friends trust you, but honestly I find your story most disheartening. You have my apologies." Metas bowed low, but Twilight surprised him.

"It's fine, I might be alone in this world, but I've made a lot more friends along the way!" The purple unicorn said cheerfully. "But I wouldn't mind knowing where I am."

"We are currently in the Boletarian Palace, home of King Allant and his son, Prince Ariona Allant. Though the Prince has travelled south, so only the old King remains." Oolan answered, then paused. "Though I saw a knight come through here, he was talking with another, his voice was very similar to the Prince's."

Twilight noticed something strange about these men and the woman, they had a slightly red aura around them, it was almost invisible but there.

"Excuse me, why do you have a red aura around you?" Twilight asked, the trio looked at her with a deathly silence. Then slowly the aura grew in intensity and completely turned the three knights red. Suddenly Alfred thundered towards the small unicorn, while Oolan notched her bow with another arrow and Metas charged after Alfred. Twilight quickly grabbed a hunk of stone of the ground and smashed it against the Tower Knight's head, the once kind Alfred collapsed and tripped Metas up. But Oolan quickly shot a pair of arrows at Twilight, but before they hit, the unicorn was covered in flames and disappeared. The three old friends soon returned to their posts, now less human than before.

A young priest turned a corner, finally finished fighting those three demons. Her eyes landed on a trio of red-phantoms, one in heavy armor, one in light clothes and the last in a mix of medium armor. Suddenly she found an arrow in her arm, then loud footsteps sounded her doom as both a barbed spear and a long sword were slammed into her chest and stomach, the young woman yell back and dissolved into mist, yet another victim to the Knights of the Boletarian Round Table.

Author's Note:

Been awhile, eh? I know I did say Dark Souls 3, but I'm probably gonna add more characters from different games, maybe even Bloodborne (Which was meant to be this chapter, but I couldn't find the inspiration for it).

Hope you enjoyed this little slice of Demon's Souls.