• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 1,119 Views, 22 Comments

The Codex Amicitia - malletmann



A mage from a distant world seeks out a means to save his decaying city, and finds it in Ponyville.

  • ...
0
 22
 1,119

Hospitality

Author’s Note: I’ve decided not to go into too much detail on the conversation between Carpathios and Twilight concerning magic. I think I would rather concentrate on advancing the plot of the story.


The sound of approaching footsteps brought their conversation to an abrupt halt. Carpathios and Soptek looked up, identifying the approaching figures. Their deep blue garments, common throughout the city these days, contrasted with Carpathios’ bright scarlet and Soptek’s maroon. Soptek wore what the old man had always worn, and no one thought any different about it; Carpathios’ attire was a statement declaring his adherence to the traditional ways. It set him apart from the rest of his colleagues.

The foremost member of the group of half a dozen magi stepped forward, raising his hand in greeting. “Fair visions to you, Carpathios. I have heard it said that you have begun a grand new endeavor deep within the Veil. I had thought you would not be content to simply master the existing arts, and you have proven me correct. I look forward to seeing the outcome of this most ambitious project, and am sure whatever the results will be, they will be spectacular.” He turned to Soptek as though noticing him for the first time. “And fair visions to you, librarian.”

Carpathios scowled at the verbal slight to his friend. This, combined with the layer of subtle mockery on the speaker’s words of praise had caused his ire to rise. Mentally, he recited the First Intonation to calm himself. “Fair visions to you as well, Ectellios. I did not expect you back so soon. I know how much you enjoy impressing the less experienced masses with your glorified parlor tricks. I will keep you informed as to how my actual magical research is progressing.”

Of all the magi he now dwelled with, there were few Carpathios felt embodied the new, lesser philosophy of Agathonis as much as Ectellios. The man cared only for how powerful he appeared, and nothing else. He flaunted his many accolades, gained mostly through the inelegant bludgeoning of his will, with his overly decorated outfit. While Carpathios was by no means arrayed conservatively, he was entirely within the bounds of his station. Ectellios exaggerated everything he did.

Ectellios laughed, a cue his social subordinates took, adding their own forced amusement to the cacophony. “Once again, you prove quite the sharp wit. Magnathios must have been quite amused by your company, to take you in such as he did. My mission has always been to educate those less knowledgeable in the arcane ways, so that as our former king said, ‘All the world may share in our knowledge.’ It is a great burden I had to shoulder that I was unable to learn more from him directly in the time he was here, but my duty called me elsewhere.”

At that point, several of Ectellios’ followers imposed themselves between him and Carpathios. Carpathios himself felt Soptek’s hand upon his shoulder. “By that, I am sure the Potent Ectellios simply meant that he wishes you well in your research, and offers his condolences to how personally our city’s great loss affected you.”

“That is not what he meant,” Carpathios hissed. It took all of his will to force his choler into check. Stepping forward, he said, “Ectellios, let me make one thing abundantly clear. I was chosen as Proctek and not you because I am, and always have been, a better magus than you. If you wish to test that, I will gladly humor you. My Work will be the greatest advancement this city has seen in ten years, as is fitting of my station.”

Ectellios blinked. “I will hold you to that,” he said, turning on his heel and departing.

Carpathios turned, beginning to walk back to his personal spire, research material in hand. “If you fail, Ectellios will be upon you like a vulture upon a carcass,” Soptek said disapprovingly.

Carpathios nodded. “I’ve always been surrounded by vultures.”


Twilight awoke the next morning to the smell of eggs and toast in the air. As usual, Spike must have gotten up early to cook breakfast. She smiled as she thought of her ever-dependent assistant, then her eyes shot open as she remembered what had happened yesterday.

Jumping out of bed, she quickly went to her mirror to brush her mane. Not too neat, just enough to be presentable. As soon as she was finished, she headed downstairs. Sure enough, Spike had a delicious looking breakfast prepared. Carpathios was sitting cross-legged on a pillow, as he was too big for the chair. He wasn’t wearing all of his accessories today, just his robe.

“Good morning, Spike. Good morning, Carpathios,” she said as she took her seat at the breakfast table. “I hope you like our food. I’m not sure what you eat back in Agathonis.”

“The food appears more than adequate. Not many have eaten draconic cuisine in my world,” Carpathios said. “I must say I’m not certain how I will sustain this arrangement. I would not wish to simply eat your food and sleep in your home without compensation.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Twilight said reassuringly as she began to eat her breakfast. “The letter I got from Princess Celestia last night said to keep you comfortable, so you are a royal guest. Besides, what you taught me about magic last night would probably earn you more bits, well, quite frankly than I have.”

Carpathios took a bite of toast. “In that case, I will simply say thank you. In any event, what is on the agenda for today?”

Twilight pulled out her day planner. “Pinkie will likely throw a party later this afternoon, so I blocked off most of it. Since you spent most of last night sharing with me about your magic, I’d thought I’d share with you what I know about unicorn magic.”

Spike spoke up. ”In other words, everything there is to know about unicorn magic.” Twilight blushed at this praise. “I’m serious,” the dragon continued, “She probably knows more about magic than anypony besides the princesses. She probably knows more about anything than anyone else in Ponyville.”

At this point, Twilight figured she could be mistaken for Fluttershy. “Spike, really. You’re embarrassing me,” she said in a flustered voice.

“You are the princess’s personal student, though, are you not?” asked Carpathios. “Certainly you earned such a privilege through unwavering dedication and force of will.”

“I was chosen because the princess said I had more magical potential than she had ever seen in a unicorn,” Twilight said, absentmindedly picking at her breakfast, “but there was a lot of work to get there. I don’t want to let her down.”

“I am certain you will not,” Carpathios said as they finished their meal. “So, you say that unicorn magic is definite in its potency based on the individual?”


They were still deep in conversation when, just as Twilight had predicted, Pinkie showed up to give them both invitations to a “Welcome Carpathios” party. Carpathios initially looked on in astonishment as she had pulled the invitations seemingly out of her mane, but then, recalling what he had seen in the Veil, he realized he would have to accept that Pinkie Pie was something quite unlike any other being.

Twilight Sparkle accompanied him to Sugercube Corner, the local confectionary and what passed as a tavern in this town, later on that evening. The place was filled with party-going ponies when they arrived. Carpathios noted that the music, while quite a different style than either the boisterous tavern music he remembered from his youth or the resonant, etheric choir chants that frequented the halls of Agathonis, was quite pleasant to the ears, complementing the sweet smell of pastries.

Carpathios recognized several of the mares from before. There was the technicolor pegasus, Rainbow Dash, and the earth pony Applejack. They appeared to be participating in some form of contest involving the strength of their legs. He also saw the snow colored unicorn who had been impressed by his garments. As he recalled, her name was Rarity. She was socializing with a pale yellow pegasus with a rose-colored mane. The two of them seemed to keep to themselves, which struck Carpathios as odd, considering how sociable Rarity seemed. Of course, he had only seen her once before, and as such had very little information with which to reach a conclusion.

Seeing him, Rarity beckoned for him. As he approached, he noticed how the pegasus seemed to recede. A quick glance into the Veil confirmed his suspicions. The mare before him possessed the pale, wispy aura he had come to associate with those timid and demure.

“Carpathios, it is good to see you again. I must thank you for your appearance, as it was a true inspiration. Let me introduce you to a dear friend of mine. This is Fluttershy,” Rarity said, indicating the pegasus. “Fluttershy, this is Carpathios. He is a magus from another world, coming to visit and explore.”

“Oh, umm, hello. It’s... nice to meet you, Carpathios,” Fluttershy said in a voice so meek he had to strain his ears to hear in the din of the room. He simply inclined his head in response, reasoning that anything else might be uncomfortable for the pegasus.

“Fluttershy here was just telling me of how she was helping a family of raccoons recover from an awful case of the flu. She just loves animals, and is utterly selfless in caring for them,” Rarity began to regale him. “I am most fortunate to be able to call her my friend.”

Carpathios could only assume that Rarity was unaware of the extreme discomfort her praises were causing to Fluttershy. He had observed that, despite their closeness, these ponies could at times act carelessly when it came to others. Then again, his own heightened perception and Veil sight could be giving him a much greater advantage than he gave himself credit for.

Deciding to redirect the conversation, Carpathios said, “Fluttershy, then, you are quite knowledgeable in the natural and healing arts?”

“Umm, I guess. I mean, I’ve studied it more than most ponies in Ponyville, except for maybe Twilight. She’s the smartest pony I’ve ever met.”

“Perhaps, one day when your duties allow you, I could share with you some of the knowledge I possess on the creatures of my homeland. It isn’t a vast amount, but...”

“Oh! I would, um, like that, I guess.” Fluttershy gently ran a hoof over the floor. “Maybe, we could have tea Wednesday afternoon?”

“I will look forward to it,” Carpathios said, smiling.


Some time later night, Carpathios began to walk home. The party had continued until all of the ponies had been tired enough to call it an evening. Though Carpathios was not an inherently social man, he had found himself greatly enjoying the company of these ponies. They seemed to have warmed up to him very swiftly. He found it all very refreshing compared to the interactions he had with his colleagues back in Agathonis. Aside from Soptek and the other librarians, he found it all a great nuisance.

Getting home, he entered another meditation, communing with Soptek across the Veil.

Today was an interesting day. I believe I have made much progress in establishing trust with these people.

Good, good, Soptek responded. At least you have friends somewhere.

It makes it difficult to want to return home, agreed Carpathios as he allowed sleep to come upon him for the night.