• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 690 Views, 11 Comments

Power Ponies: Rise of the Red Phoenix - FoxMcCloud7921



The ultimate question has been asked time and time again: is there truly a line between right and wrong?

  • ...
1
 11
 690

Prologue

It was another beautiful day in Maretropolis; unfortunately it was a day where Sunset Shimmer was stuck in yet another board meeting. Sunset Industries wasn’t just an enterprise, it was an empire of sorts, spanning out to different branches. Weapons Development, Research & Development, Chemical Industries; you name it, it was there. Being the current CEO of such a vast empire was not as easy as it looked and unlike most CEOs, it wasn’t the money that drove her, it was to do good in this world.

The wage difference between CEOs and those below them had become so astronomical it was almost sickening. Sunset was born into a wealthy family and like her, her family wasn’t the type to showboat or spend their fortunes on meaningless things, but rather donate to charities all across the world for research into medicine or better water quality for underdeveloped regions. Sunset herself had cut her salary by fifty percent and that money trickled its way to the ponies below her. There was a reason people were so loyal to this company.

Still, running a business also meant having to hear the boring stuff, although Sunset always had to know where the company stood at the present time. Fortunately, it was still smooth sailing even as the economy has been a little rocky as of late and as her CFO continued his presentation, Sunset couldn’t help but glance outside. That’s when she noticed something was wrong.

Something huge was coming towards the city, a creature almost the size of the building they were sitting in right now. She got to her feet and went up to the window, staring as everyone else paused and looked at her. Only when they saw what she saw did they get up as well.

The room was quiet as everyone looked to Sunset. “We need to get everypony out of here right away,” she said. She looked towards the board. “We do this in an orderly fashion, just like the drills.” She punched the fire alarm which went off immediately and picked up the phone on the desk. “Ditzy, I want you to get a hold of everypony at our sister locations. Tell them this is not a drill and get somewhere safe and away from the city!” She hung up and followed the others out of the room.

The tower started to tremble slightly as some ponies started to scream. “The stairs!” Everyone quickly and calmly made their way down, Sunset being the last as to make sure no one was left behind. Once they were finally outside, Sunset saw that the city was littered with ponies, all wondering the same thing. The police had already shown up and were barking orders to evacuate the city immediately.

Suddenly, one of the nearby buildings exploded, raining glass and debris onto the ground and the large crowd erupted into panic. That blast came from the creature now terrorizing the city and Sunset saw the thing looked like a centaur, but she had never seen one this large. She took off towards where the blast took place, running at a full gallop. Many of her colleagues were in a building four blocks from where she was now and she had to make sure they were safe.

As she kept running, dodging debris that crashed into the ground, she managed to look up and saw that six ponies had now joined the fray. She recognized them immediately as the Power Ponies but surely even they couldn’t take on a creature that size. Her lungs were screaming for air but Sunset continued her pace, adrenaline now kicking in.

She was within reach of Sunset Tower, a fifteen story building that gleamed like a beacon within Maretropolis. Right now, there were over a thousand ponies in that building and she could only imagine there was pure chaos. She got out her phone and quickly dialed a number. She was relieved when she heard a voice on the other end.

“Geoffrey, please tell me you’re getting everypony out.”

“We’re trying Sunset but there’s too many people and not enough time,” the griffin replied. “That thing just leveled an entire building without a struggle.”

“Just do what you can, we need to make sure everypony is-”

“Oh dear…”

“Geoffrey!” Then Sunset saw it. One of the ponies, it looked to be the pony known as Zapp, had been hit by one of the creature’s energy blasts and was falling towards the building. She crashed through the top part of the building breaking windows but that wasn’t the worst part.

The creature had attacked again, this time targeting the building itself and the top part toppled over effortlessly like a hot knife through butter. Sunset could only watch in horror as the entire starting to crumble to the ground, causing a large amount of dust and debris to fill the air.

Not hesitating for a moment, Sunset dashed into the cloud of dust until she came across what was left of Sunset Tower. She looked around but saw nothing. “Can anypony here me!?” It was quiet and Sunset feared the worst. Then she heard someone calling out and Sunset followed in that direction.

There was a male unicorn on the ground with a large chunk of concrete covering his lower half. “I can’t feel my back legs,” he said.

“It’s alright, I’m here,” Sunset said. She used her magic to try to pick up the concrete but even for her it was pretty heavy. “Can you use your magic?”

The unicorn nodded and together they were able to get the concrete off of him. Sirens were approaching and Sunset carefully dragged him out of harm’s way. “Did you see anypony else?” she asked.

The unicorn shook his head. “I’m sorry Miss Shimmer, I didn’t see anypony…I think they…” But he couldn’t finish his sentence and the look of horror on his face told Sunset enough. An ambulance finally came they lifted the pony into the back. Sunset had decided to join him; there was nothing else she could do. As she got in the back, she looked up towards the sky and saw the battle continuing to rage in the sky. Only one question was on her mind at the time.

“What had we done to deserve this…?”