• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 1,952 Views, 60 Comments

The Empress of Equestria - DustyBones



Princess Celestia always stood on the lookout for trouble and threats to her reign. But never did she expect those closest to her to betray her.

  • ...
8
 60
 1,952

Rarity

Today was a lovely day.

Not that Rarity didn’t have a few critiques, of course. The green in the grass was a little too dull and faded into the background. The sunshine did cause a horrid glare if you stared too hard at the lake. Oh, it would make a perfect painting, but it did have its problems when you were actually in it. Besides, nature was more Applejack’s purview than hers.

Her carriage rumbled down the long road, pulled by two very muscular and toned stallions. Twins, even. Rarity could watch them for hours. She already had, in fact. It was nice to fantasize. And harmless. Nothing would ever come of it. She was a proper lady, after all, and the stallion she envisioned was refined, charming, and had a mind to match his body. She hadn’t met him yet, of course. And after the disastrous meeting with Prince Blueblood several years ago, she wasn’t about to tempt fate again. No, better to let him come to her.

The one other occupant of the carriage scanned the horizon, though not for the view. Rarity sighed. Hopeless, that pony. Tragic how these guardponies had no appreciation for such things. Always so serious. Her companion kept her wings ready and posture stiff, ready to leap into action at a moment’s notice. Rarity had told her to relax, almost ordered it even. This was a well-traveled road leading to Manehatten. There was no danger here. True, it wasn’t as safe as a train, but that wasn’t an option. The Seaside Bluff resort prided itself in its isolation, letting its elite clientele relax away from the cares of the world.

And Rarity had needed that isolation. She never would have guessed that high society could wear her out. But serving as Twilight’s envoy to the Canterlot elite exhausted her: body, mind, and soul. She needed to get away every so often. Going to the resort had been the right decision. Now she felt rested and rejuvenated, ready to maneuver around whatever challenges ruling Equestria presented.

Wind Crest, her all-too-serious bodyguard, leaned forward. “Dame Rarity,” she said, “I am going to take to the air for a bit. See if I can spot anything.”

“And what would there be to spot, darling?” Rarity asked, but the pegasus was already gone.

It wasn’t much of a loss. The mare hadn’t proven much for conversation. Her utterances mostly restricted themselves to “Yes, Dame Rarity”, “No, Dame Rarity”, and “By your order, Dame Rarity.” It was enough to drive a girl mad. Rarity sighed and pulled out her sketchbook. Idly, she drew the perfect dress for the dutiful mare. Hmm, perhaps the pegasus was intimidated by her? Or wanted to make a good impression? Nerves could make a pony act strange, even when--

The carriage lurched to a stop. Rarity almost fell flat onto her face. She fixed the twin stallions with a glare. “Hmph. A little warning would be nice next time. Why are we stopping?”

“Dusty Trail saw a snake,” one, Rusty Pail, said, “Right in the middle of the road.”

Rarity shuddered. She immediately regretted her harsh tone. “Oh dear. Be careful. I’m not trained in healing magic, so if either of you get hurt or poisoned, then we are all in quite a pickle.”

“Sure thing, Dame Rarity,” Rusty Pail said. The two brothers slipped from the yoke and headed to the rear of the carriage. “Got some equipment back here. Hope we have something useful.”

“Grab a stick,” Dusty muttered, “We can beat the grass with it as we go along. Flush them out before we step on them.”

Rarity nodded and resumed her sketching. They had this well in hand. So good to have capable ponies around her. The Canterlot nobles were mostly unicorns and, sad to say, many of them were unicorns who held dim views of earth ponies. Rarity mused. If she’d been raised differently, would she hold the same views? She hoped she wouldn’t, but one could never know what might have been. Well, there was a way, but Rarity had no desire to look in that mirror again.

She sighed. Perhaps a light green would bring out Wind Crest’s eyes? No, no, viridian. Light green would absolutely not work. She felt the carriage tilt and looked up to see Rusty Pail standing beside her. “Oh, hello,” she said, “Is there a--”

Quick as lightning, he lunged for her. His weight knocked her against her seat. Now, most high-society mares would scream, but Rarity had been in plenty of danger over the course of her life. She scoffed. Her magic for the nearest heavy, blunt object. A few raps on the head would deal with this rapscallion.

But she never got the chance. A cold, metal cuff snapped around her horn and the magic cut off. “Got her!” Dusty Trail whooped. Rarity grit her teeth and tried to kick the heavy stallion off of her.

“Hey! Whoa there! Calm down, ma’am,” Rusty said, “We don’t want to hurt you.”

“Forgive me if I don’t take the word of two foalnapping ruffians,” she said coolly.

Like a meteor, Wind Crest dropped onto Dusty’s head and knocked him down. Rusty whirled, Rarity held in his forelegs. “Stand down, miss,” he ordered the pegasus, “We have the Element of Generosity. You better back off.”

With a snarl, the mare threw herself at the stallion. Rarity braced herself for impact. It hurt more than she was prepared for. Wind Crest knocked all three of them off the carriage. Rarity was caught right in between them.

Well, nothing was broken. She took some comfort in that. Wind Crest was on top and Rusty groaned underneath her. She desperately tried to force air into her lungs, but all she could manage was a small gasp. Wind Crest recovered first and pulled her off the stallion. Into the dirt. Rarity felt a new wave of panic rise within her. Her mane! No! Anything but the mane!

Well, not anything. Not really. She prefered getting it messy than losing her vitals. But still, it was the sentiment that counted, right?

A gust of air finally washed into her lungs. The sounds she made were absolutely revolting, but the sweet kiss of oxygen so filled her mind that she didn’t care Wind Crest dropped her to the ground. “Stay here, my lady,” she said, “I will deal with--”

From behind, Dusty leapt at her. Rarity gave a strangled cry, warning enough for the pegasus mare to whirl to meet the attack, but not enough to meet it well. The heavy-set stallion crashed into Wind Crest’s side. The horrible snap of bone and the mare’s grunt filled Rarity with horror.

This wasn’t supposed to be happening! This was a supposed to be a lovely trip back to Manehatten! Not a life-or-death struggle. Rarity rose and tried to cast a spell. It flickered and faded. Right, the horn-cuff. So uncouth. Designed for criminals! Her hooves grasped at it. To her great fortune, the stallions hadn’t managed to get the lock to catch. It came off with a delicate flick of her wrists.

Both of her assailants were up now. They circled Wind Crest, whose left wing hung at an awkward angle. The poor mare also favored one of her hind legs. To her credit, she still stood against the traitors and did not utter a single moan.

Rarity’s magic flared to life. Her dressmaking required the levitation of many objects at once and there were a lot of stones around here. A swarm of them lifted up and surrounded her like a hive’s worth of angry hornets. She sent one apiece at the two stallions’ heads and hit them right between the ears. They yelped and shifted their attention to her. She smiled.

“Gentleponies,” she said, “Now is a good time to inform you that I no longer am in need of your services.” Excellent quip, Rarity, she told herself, all those detective novels are paying off. She held the rocks a little higher. “I suggest you leave. Now.”

The stallions exchanged glances. “Right you are, madam,” Rusty said with a slight bow, “We’ll be on our way. No reason to let things get out of hoof.” He gulped. Rarity rolled her eyes and sent another rock shooting past his head.

“If you’re leaving, then leave,” she said. The two of them disappeared down the road and left only a trail of dust behind them.

Rarity’s attention immediately turned to her wounded companion. “Wind Crest, darling, what happened? Are you al-- No, you’re hurt. That’s plain to see.”

“Wing’s broken,” the steadfast guard replied. She tried to stand at attention, but her leg spasmed and she stumbled forward. “Leg’s sprained too.”

Rarity snuck a peek at the injured wing. It hung at the wrong angle and Rarity fought the urge to heave. “W-well, I am an expert with a needle,” she said, “And a few other things. Give me a few minutes and we’ll see if we can’t rig up a splint or something.”

“That’s very kind of you, Dame Rarity.”

“Oh, think nothing of it,” Rarity countered. Really, she wanted to get to work. Work both distracted her and helped her focus on other, better things. The only fabric she had on her was some finely woven cloth, but she could easily afford to replace that. A few, straight sticks and Wind Crest had a splint on her sprained leg.

She looked at the bent wing and winced. “I’m going to have to set that.”

Wind Crest stiffened but nodded. “Go ahead.”

Rarity delicately gripped the mare’s wing. With a deep, calming breath, she prepared herself. Then, she pulled the wing into place. Wing Crest bit her lip, but it was too much. She screamed.

“I’m sorry, darling,” Rarity said, keeping it steady with her magic, “It’s over now. Let me…” Sticks and strips of fabric whirled around and formed another splint around the wing. Wind Crest panted heavily and collapsed to the ground.

“Thank you, Dame Rarity.”

“Think nothing of it,” Rarity said automatically. She glanced around at the empty fields. The only other ponies around were those two ruffians. She could see them galloping away. They’d be completely out of sight soon. “I don’t suppose you know of a good courier service around here?” she asked.

Wind Crest’s blank stare was all the answer she needed.

“Right. Just checking, darling.” Well, there was nothing for it. Rarity reached out with her magic and gripped the yoke of the cart. This was going to be quite taxing.

Under the power of her magic, the cart began to move. Rarity was practiced enough that it did not immediately strain her. Her long hours in her shop had honed her natural talents well enough. But after a half hour of crawling at a snail’s pace, she had to rest. All this sweating could not be good for her coat. She turned to Wind Crest, a sorry expression on her face. “Darling, I’m afraid we may have to walk. I won’t be able to keep this up all the way to Manehatten and--”

“What’s going on over here?”

Rarity jumped when another stallion’s voice came from the nearby field. A farmpony pushed his way out from the grass. A small filly poked her head out behind him, clinging to his rear leg. Oh good, not a bandit then. Salvation!

“Oh thank goodness!” Rarity put on her best elegant airs and descended from the cart. “Wind Crest is injured. She fought bravely to defend me, but the two…” She curled her lips in distaste. “...ruffians broke her wing. I set it and splinted it, but I don’t have any formal medical training. I--”

The stallion pushed past her, which she felt was very rude. “Ma’am,” he said to Wind Crest, “Is that the truth?”

“Honest as Applejack,” the guard replied.

The farmer relaxed. “Alright. You ladies get on that wagon. I’ll pull ya’ll back to the house. We’ll send for a doctor. Go on now.”

“Oh thank you!” Rarity said, “You have no idea what a relief--” He wasn’t listening to her. A bit put out, she helped Wind Crest get in the cart and clambered up herself. She winced a little in pain. Her back was stiff. She’d have to check it for bruises later.

The filly hopped up beside her. She grinned and bowed to Rarity and brushed strands of her mane back into place. She had natural good looks for a filly (a cute, young look that some mares tried to emulate even when grown). A nice mauve would really accentuate those freckles, and a ribbon in the hair… Put the mane in a braid. Yes! “Hi there, ma’am,” she said, “I’m Fresh Soil. Nice to meet ya. What’s yer name?”

“Rarity, darling,” she replied, “And might I say, you are absolutely adorable. You remind me of one of my sister’s little friends.”

The filly giggled. “Thank ya kindly, pretty lady.”

Rarity had been called pretty, beautiful, and variations thereof all her life. But recently, those that complimented her did so to get on her good side. Not that she minded all that much, but it was very different from the simple, honest compliment of a foal. And her mane was all messed up and coat covered in sweat too. Fresh Soil’s words warmed her heart.

Without help, the farmer hoisted the yoke onto his shoulders and trotted steadily down the lane. Rarity looked all around for a farmhouse, like Applejack’s back in Ponyville. There wasn’t one. Instead, a rough, wooden door led into an underground hovel. She shrank back in horror. Oh, this simply would not do! But Wind Crest needed some medical attention and it would be terribly rude to turn down the farmer’s hospitality now.

The pulled up in front and the farmer helped Wind Crest down. Fresh Soil held the door for them and glanced back at Rarity. “Ya’ll coming?”

“Well...” Rarity glanced around. “You know, it is such a beautiful day. I think I’ll stay in the cart for right now. Thank you.”

The filly frowned. “Suit yourself.”

The family came and went. Rarity discovered that the farmer and his wife had seven children, of which Fresh Soil was the eldest, and that they’d lived on this land for generations. How quaint. But unlike the Apples, they had been far less successful. Even the Hatfields and McColts had better places to live when they were too busy fighting to bother with much else.

Quick Step, the mare of the house, insisted she come out of the sun and in for some dinner. When Rarity refused, as politely as possible, the mare personally brought her some food. It was very basic, lacking any sort of spice like Rarity was used to. Merely bread and stew. But Rarity’s hunger and sense of propriety drove her to at least sample it. To her delight, it was not nearly as bad as she feared. She asked for a second helping.

As the sun went down and dinnertime rolled around, she decided to brave the inside of the house. It was not quite as filthy as she expected. The Diamond Dogs had been worse. And so she decided to relax and joined the family for dinner. “Doctor’ll be out of town until tomorrow,” the farmer said, “Ya’ll can rest here for tonight. If the doctor says you’re good to travel, I’ll haul your carriage into town myself.”

“That is very kind of you,” Rarity said.

The stallion shrugged. “Just being decent.”

Being decent was more than most ponies would do, Rarity thought grimly, especially the unicorns of Canterlot.

“Ya’ll can sleep in my bed tonight,” Fresh Soil said.

Rarity almost spewed the water she’d been drinking all over her host. “Oh I couldn’t possibly. Where will you sleep, darling?”

“The floor.”

“The floor?” Rarity cried in alarm, “Oh, no, no, no. That won’t do at all.”

“Then are you offering to?” the farmer asked.

Rarity shrank back and tittered nervously. “A mare of my elegance needs to have a certain regard for her appearances, darling,” she said, “But the carriage is comfortable enough. And the night air should be wonderfully cool. I can’t have you all sleeping on the floor just to accommodate me.”

The farmer’s eyes narrowed. “Lady, for a prissy unicorn, you’re awful considerate.”

“Well, it’s in my nature,” Rarity deflected, “Besides, it’s only decent. Isn’t that right?”

The family smiled.

“I’ll bring you some blankets,” Quick Step offered, “And a pillow.”

And so, Rarity found herself sleeping out in the carriage with Wind Crest. The pegasus mare fell into a deep sleep the moment her head struck the pillow. To be honest, it was much rougher and far less comfortable than she was used to. She found herself wishing for a single one of hers back at the castle.

But then again, she couldn’t complain. These ponies, poor as they were, had given everything they had (or at least offered it) to make a complete stranger comfortable. She understood generosity, and these ponies had it to spare. After all, it was her Element.

Doubt gnawed at the back of her mind. How many ponies like this family existed? Poor beyond measure with no hope of enjoying the finer things she took for granted? And yet they gave her all they could. Her, the Element of Generosity. What had she done for them lately?

These doubts followed her all the way to Canterlot.

***

The Grand Galloping Gala had always been one of Celestia’s least favorite duties. Rarity could see why. Her first time attending hadn’t been very successful. And each one after that had been disaster after disaster. It had almost felt like Celestia had been trying to sabotage the whole affair.

She sipped a glass of fine champagne and loitered near the rear of the room. No longer was she a bright-eyed stranger to these events. Now, she was a pony that others approached. A steadily shifting crowd had passed through her area all night, chatting amicably and making introductions. Networking, they called it. A concept that any good businessmare understood well. A few months from now, they could send her a letter and reference this meeting to get a hoof in the door.

Honestly, she should be doing the same. Tonight was a rare opportunity to speak with the elite of Equestria when they had their best faces on and the constant vying for position wasn’t quite so obvious. But tonight, her mind was elsewhere. All these ponies, these elites, had so much. She doubted that their hooves had touched dirt, actual dirt, in years. And as for eating grass, they would scoff at the very idea. Not so with the poor.

Duke Worthy Title engaged her in conversation. A greying old stallion, he was best known for his vast fortune and idle lifestyle. An expert on food, they called him. His tongue could distinguish between different years of cheese by the texture alone. His word held some weight amongst the nobles of southern Equestria.

“A lovely event, Dame Rarity, wouldn’t you say?” he said, “Even if there are a bit more balloons than normal.”

Rarity offered him a gracious smile. “Yes. Well, it is absolutely impossible to be friends with Pinkie Pie and not include a few more foalish decorations. Be glad she did not choose the musical accompaniment for tonight.”

She would have to remember to ask Pinkie to pay those farmers a visit. Her background would give her insight into what would most make them smile.

“Well, it seems to me an inspired decision,” the Duke said. It was a lie. Rarity didn’t know why he’d bothered saying it. To drop the subject would have been much less disingenuous.

“I will pass along your compliment,” she answered just as dishonestly.

“Where is the pink dear?” the duke said with a note of trepidation, “Is she in attendance?”

“Oh no,” Rarity said with a giggle, “She’s gone to Las Pegasus to, I quote, start the largest party that Equestria ever saw.”

He could not conceal a sigh of relief. “Well, I wish her the best of success.” And that she’ll stay far from here, Rarity mentally finished for him.

“As do we all,” she said, for entirely different reasons than he held. She wanted her friend to succeed. She wanted everypony to succeed and she was more than willing to help. She was the Element of Generosity. What else could she do?

Speaking of generosity… “Duke Title,” she said, “If I may discuss a personal matter with you?”

He seemed both surprised and pleased with this development. “Of course, madam. How can I be of assistance?”

“A short while ago,” she said, “I had a brief run-in with some of the poorest citizens in Equestria.” His face turned into a sympathetic mask, as if she had undergone some great personal tragedy. “I admit, I was in some distress. Bandits on the road, of a sort.”

“Terrifying,” he said, “But I hear that your friend Rainbow Dash is leading a crack-down on those types. We won’t be troubled with them for long.”

“Indeed,” she said, not willing to let the conversation wander from the point, “My bodyguard was injured and we were forced to spend the night on the farm. A little dugout in the side of a hill.”

“How dreadful.”

She glared at him, letting him know she did not appreciate his interruptions. “Yet despite how little they had to offer, they gave it all to make me comfortable, even though I was a stranger.” The duke nodded, but his eyes made it clear he did not understand her point. “And so, I’ve decided to start a fund. To repay their kindness with some of my own. And I was hoping a stallion of your wealth and influence would contribute.”

“Of course,” he said, “I can spare a few bits. Put me down for a thousand.”

It sounded impressive, but for one of his wealth, it wasn’t even a drop in the bucket. And even so, it wouldn’t go far with so many poor to be fed and cared for. Rarity tried to hide a grimace.

She smiled at the duke, but inside thoughts twisted around like snakes. How many ponies had sacrificed their lives to build his family’s fortune? How many had toiled and had everything taken from them? How many still worked from paycheck to paycheck in his employ? Did he do anything to relieve their plight? Any real thing, that is, not merely throwing his pocket change at it? How did he sleep at night?

“Thank you,” she said, “Now I believe I had better step outside and get some air.”

He bowed and let her be. Oh he was such a polite old stallion, she thought venomously.

She trotted swiftly to the balcony. In the gardens down below, the Imperial Canterlot Orchestra accompanied a lively waltz. Here, before her, ninety-nine percent of the wealth in all Equestria lay spread out for all to see. But all of it was held by less than one percent of the population.

Her eyes burned. How dare they? All of those puffed-up, snobbish ponies looking down their noses at the common folk. At least Blue Blood had been honest about his nature. He was scum and anypony who spent five minutes with him knew it. He made no effort to hide it. But these ponies pretended they were virtuous defenders of Equestria and upheld the nation’s interests.

No. The ponies like Fresh Soil were far better and yet they lived in squalor. These ponies right here could fix all this, yet they refused. If she could only instill a little generosity in them…

She caught her breath. A smile crept over her face. “No,” she said, “No, that’s not the answer.” She knew from experience not to try and change a noble’s mind. They were stubborn and all-too set in their ways. But now, she had power. She was the chief financial officer in all Equestria. She could force them to be generous.

There was no time to waste. Every moment spent here was another one that a family starved. She galloped for the doors and left the Gala. Thus, she was gone by the time Celestia and the Cutie Mark Crusaders made their move.

Author's Note:

Welp. I'm not dead. Here, enjoy the next chapter.