• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 871 Views, 8 Comments

Darkness Rises, Darkness Falls - jwizard



The forces of the Dark One are on the Rise, poised to strike at the heart of Equestria. Can Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and the others weather the storm, or will it consume them?

  • ...
2
 8
 871

Chapter One

Equestria, Ponyville Outskirts, 07-04-06 A.N.M., 11:26 P.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


A yawn from her partner distracted Corporal Silent Aegis’s thoughts. She gave him a raised brow. “Didn’t get enough sleep?” White Tail shook his head.

“Nah, just a little bored; now that all of the raids are done, going back to ordinary Guard-work is a little boring.” The Helix- a horned variant of the Nocturne race -grimaced. “I didn’t even get a chance to clobber some of the more useless nobles; my battalion was only on standby.” Aegis narrowed her slitted pupils at her partner.

Aegis started tapping the ground in irritation with her left hind hoof. Like White Tail, she was an offshoot of the Nocturne race; hers was the seldom-seen Night Satyrs. Instead of four hooves, Aegis’ front legs ended in a pair of clawed feet. Her backside was covered in fur that was of a different color and texture than the rest of her, ending with a pair of cloven hooves. The overall body shape she sported showed that she was both bipedal and quadrupedal.

“Look, rookie; the reason why we’re on Night-Guard is because all of that is done; the Chief thinks that this would be the opportune time for those idiots to try something. And since she’s stuck in Canterlot with her X.O., we’re here to make sure nothing happens to their home stomping grounds.” White Tail glared at his partner.

“Aegy, you’re preaching to the choir here; I know what the Chief said! It doesn’t make this kind of detail any less boring.” They both glared at each other for a couple of minutes; finally, Aegis sighed.

“Okay, you’re right; this gig is dull. But Papa always said ‘better a dull Guard job than one with excitement; at least nopony is getting hurt that way.’ I happen to agree with him.” Aegis used her tribe’s unique magic to levitate a trio of pebbles around her head. White Tail rolled his eyes. Suddenly, his horn flared, causing him to yelp. “What was that?!”

The Helix stallion shook his head, then started channeling shadow mana in his horn. He snarled. “We’ve got company! A whole bunch of shadow-spawn are heading this way!” He then galloped off in the direction of the Everfree Forest, Aegis but a moment behind him.

Roseluck was on her way home from a late visit with Fluttershy. A rustle from the bushes along the side of the trail caused the mare to turn. She started to scream as three shadowy creatures lunged at her. Before they were even able to get to her, however, three dark blurs slammed into them; one from above, and two from an adjoining path.

The three members of Twilight’s Dusk Guard surrounded the hapless earth pony mare as more shadow-wraiths moved in. Another three groups came from three other directions. One of the groups had shadow-mages with them that began to channel their unique magic in an anti-magic field.

However, they didn’t get far before yet another group arrived and started to rip them apart. The new ones then helped the trio of Guards-ponies in laying waste to the rest of the other spawn.

After a quick yet intense battle, Silent Aegis was able to get a closer look at the shadowy creatures that had helped them. Unlike the majority of shadowlings, shadow-spawn, and shadow-wraiths, these ones had clearly defined equine features. Aegis blinked; these were actually shadow-ponies.

One of them approached and bowed before Aegis. “Are you the local leader of She of Magic’s Guard?” the shadow-pony- a mare by tone of voice -asked. Aegis nodded.

“I am one of them. Thank you for aiding us; that could have gone a lot worse.” The shadow-pony nodded.

“It was much, much worse than that, as there was no less than ten groups sent to foal-nap specific ponies in order to draw out the Elements and She of Friendship.” The shadow-pony dropped a scroll at Aegis’ paws. “Please send this message from our Master, the Servant of Darkness. The next attack will happen soon, and will continue to do so until she returns that which belongs to him.” She and the other shadow-ponies then turned into blobs of shadow before flowing away towards the edge of Everfree Forest.

Aegis scowled at the sealed scroll. “I don’t like this, but we’ve got little choice. White Tail, you and Thunder Wing”- she gestured to the Nocturne stallion -”escort Roseluck back home. I got a scroll to deliver.” She grabbed it in one of her paws and shifted to bipedal stance before launching herself in the direction of the Castle of Friendship. The other two helped the shivering earth pony up before escorting her home.


Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash were enjoying some late evening reading. All of a sudden, a flare from the nearby dragonscale candle heralded an incoming message. Two scrolls- one ordinary one sealed with Twilight’s Royal Crest, the other ebony colored with a seal of crossed sword and oaken staff -dropped out of the puff of dragon magic.

Twilight opened the one with her Crest first. Her curious expression quickly turned to into one of concerned anger. She turned to her mate. “Rainbow Dash, listen to this.”

Chief,

The official report will be delayed until the morning, but this couldn’t wait. At the time of my writing this, Ponyville was attacked by several groups of shadow-wraiths. As you informed us that this might be the case we were well prepared.

However, what is troubling is that those of my wing that were present for the assault were aided by a small cadre of shadow-ponies, sent by one that calls himself ‘the Servant of Darkness'. Their leader left the scroll I sent along with this one to be delivered to you; she also said that the attacks would continue until you returned that which belonged to her Master to him. I would have read it myself, but I recognized that it had an immolation charm set to burn it if anypony other than its intended recipient opened it.

I will endeavour to let you know if more attacks occur; we can’t rely on the one that calls himself the ‘Servant of Darkness’, as I have reason to suspect his motives.

In response, I’ve called in the rest of my wing; we will endeavor to do our best to protect your home.

Silent Aegis

Rainbow Dash scowled. “Looks like the Dark One’s powers are returning, but it’s too soon. He shouldn’t have that much available.” The cyan alicorn frowned. “What I don’t get is why there are Shadow-ponies helping us; they seldom interact with those on this plane.”

Twilight frowned as well. “It probably has something to do with this ‘Servant of Darkness’ that Aegy talked about. Let’s see what he has to say.” Breaking the seal on the other scroll, Twilight began to read this one out loud.

To She of Friendship and She of Light,

I trust that this missive finds you both well; however, I have pressing concerns that you must know of.

As you are no doubt aware, He whom you call the ‘Dark One’ has begun to attack Ponyville. What you may not be aware of is that the attack that was thwarted this evening was but a fraction of what He had originally sent. I have done my best to stem the tide, but my powers are limited. I can only do so much without that which belongs to me.

You should make preparations if you wish to keep it out of His hooves; the attacks are only going to get worse from here on out, and there is only so much I can do to stop Him without Him being aware that it is me. Once those of His forces under my partial control complete a stated task, my aid will end. The best thing for all of us is for you to bring that which will end this to me. The opportunity will soon present itself, though when that will happen specifically is anypony’s guess.

Best Regards;

Servant of Darkness

Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight. “I know what you’re thinking Twi, and I’m already ahead of you; I just sent a hard light copy to Ponyville to aid in its defense. We risk more leaving our posts.” Twilight reluctantly nodded.

“As much as I want to rush to Ponyville’s aid, we can’t leave our post here as of yet until ‘Tia and Luna get back from Prance. That won’t be for another two weeks at least.” The purple alicorn had a scowl on her muzzle as she continued. “I really fear that there’s more going on here than we know; I can’t help but to mistrust this ‘Servant of Darkness.’ If he’s what I think he is, then it could be all one elaborate ruse.” Rainbow shook her head.

“I dunno Twi; the Dark One doesn’t usually allow anypony connected to Him to call themselves that, as that’s usually a sign that they worship Melanie. Despite His chief power being Darkness, He and She are bitter enemies.”

Twilight scowled. “I still don’t trust this though; something inside of me tells me that I should be suspicious. The best sort of thing for me is to make sure that what Luna gave me recently remains intact; who knows what will happen if it doesn’t.” Rainbow started at that; none of this sounded like Twilight.

<That’s because it is not her thoughts,> Serenity said softly in her heart. <Twilight is heeding what she thinks is the voice of Dusk, but is not. Don’t interfere child,> she admonished Rainbow; the mare had been ready to contradict Twilight’s statement. <That which speaks to her is already overreaching, but any interference will break the tentative connection she shares with Dusk. This must run its course.> Rainbow sighed internally with frustration, but held her tongue.


“Well, getting one of your doppelgangers in place will do wonders, at least until we can get there.” Twilight snorted in frustration. “Just when I think we’re going to get some peace, this happens.”

Rainbow shook her head. “I’ve honestly been waiting for the other horseshoe to drop Twi; ever since the Gate returned, we’ve been living on borrowed time. These attacks are only a fraction of what the Dark One has available. At least we know that we have a pony on the inside; trouble is, we can’t be sure of his motives beyond destroying his ‘Master.’”

Twilight frowned. “It’s not that I mistrust him Rainbow; even the Dark Priesthood doesn’t call itself by those terms. Anypony that does without a true Dark Blessing usually dies from advanced mana poisoning. I only suspect him because of the timing.”

Rainbow yawned. “Well, I think we should probably hit the hay Twi. My Ponyville body-double is on automatic; I need some lovin’ and some sleep; in that order.” Twilight blinked; Rainbow was looking at her with bedroom eyes.

“Oh, I agree,” the purple mare said, her own eyes filling with lust. She lifted her partner and moved her over to their bed before jumping on top of her.

For the rest of the late evening, neither one said anything; words were superfluous anyway.


Darkswirl looked down impassively at the shadow-pony mare that stood before him. “Are you certain that the message was sent?” She shook her head.

“I gave it to their leader mi’lord, but I have no way to confirm that she received it or not. My troop crossed over after as you requested.” Darkswirl nodded in terse satisfaction.

“You have done as expected. Return to your group and prepare for the next influx.” The mare bowed and trotted off.

The ebony-coated pegacorn was about to move onto one of the other reports from his other teams when he was interrupted by yet another of his servants. “Lord Darkswirl, word has come from Ponyville; the Alicorn of Light was spotted patrolling the outskirts of the town. She caught another of the False Master's groups and eliminated them.” Darkswirl nodded.

“As expected; it is most likely one of her hard light duplicates. Make certain that our own forces are nowhere near the town. She will likely be around for the next few days, but only at night.” Darkswirl gazed off into the distance. “She and the Alicorn of Magic will likely step up patrols in the Everfree Forest as well.” He snorted. “All too predictable; I tried to warn him that such was futile.” He turned to the stallion standing before him. “I want you to also send word to the ones watching the False Master’s targets. We must make certain that they are unharmed; I will deal personally with the ones that he’s preparing so that they will do what I expect.” The stallion bowed and then soon left as well.

Darkswirl spent the next few minutes going over reports from his various crews. As expected, twenty-five percent of what he had sent out was destroyed by the traps laid by his ‘Master’s’ servants. He snorted in dark amusement; it wasn’t like such losses would ever affect those that served him.

As part of the Power he possessed, any and all that were tied directly to Darkswirl could be revived by him at any time, though he was careful to do so only when needed. The Dark One hadn’t lived as long as He had by being stupid.

Then again, one could argue that going against such beings as the Essences was a hallmark of stupidity. Darkswirl snorted yet again.

Once he was certain that his efforts were paying off as he expected them to, he closed his eyes in order to prepare for the next stage of his plans.


As the pegacorn opened his eyes, he once more saw- with a deep sense of belonging -the hills of the lands he called his own. He turned at the staccato clop of of small hooves behind him.

Melanie, the Essence of Darkness, was standing there. As was usual at these times, he was brought up short at the love in her eyes. He sat down with a heavy sigh. “Things are spiraling faster than I was expecting them to,” he said to the foal-like being.

She nodded. “Yes, they are, and they will continue to do so.”

Darkswirl looked at the being that had been such a comfort to him. “Can we be certain that the Alicorn of Magic will have what it takes to fight that which torments her? Little LuLu was unable to.” Melanie looked at him reprovingly.

“I may have no connection to Twilight- that is my sister’s place -but even I can tell you that there’s no comparison. That Greater Demon of Envy had years worth of rejection and malaise to work off of. The Demon plaguing Twilight has already overreached itself several times already; it’s only a matter of time before it crosses the line.” Melanie smiled; it wasn’t a nice smile. “When it does, we will finally be rid of them. Twilight is like her mentor; she won’t just bind it away. She will bless it in much the same way as Celly blessed the one of Pride that tormented her, then kill it.”

Darkswirl frowned. “How exactly is that going to matter? I mean, we will no longer have to deal with the Demons of Fear, but there’s still the other Demonic Families to deal with.” Melanie’s smile grew.

“That’s because, in the history of Equus, no Bound or Chosen Alicorn has rendered Judgement upon any of the Greater Demons. Even LuLu was unwilling.” Melanie snorted. “At any rate, should even one of the Greater Demons be Blessed by a Bound Alicorn, so the same will happen to them all; the Heart of Harmony will make certain of it.” She smiled again. “Once that occurs, Hope herself will descend upon the remaining Greater Demons- all of which, save Fear, have been Bound in the Seventh Gate of Hel since LuLu was freed from her Nightmare -and utterly destroy them before moving on to the Damned Dragon Lord’s spawn. That will free the remainder of any under demonic possession or oppression; both Gaia and Serenity will ensure that those freed will suffer no consequence.”

“I see; well, that will most certainly help in the short term.” Darkswirl sighed heavily. “I-I'm so tired Melanie,” he said, tears forming in his eyes. “I’m so tired of being forced to do His bidding, watching Him do so much evil.” The tears started to fall as Darkswirl continued. “Millennia of watching all of this, and being nearly powerless to do anything about it.”

Melanie placed her hoof on Darkswirl’s right front leg in a gentle benediction. “It is not your fault child; you have done the best that you could. All that remains for you now is to wait for that which is yours to be restored to you.”

The ebony pegacorn looked at the Essence of Darkness sadly. “Isn’t there another way at all?” She shook her head.

“Even a particle remaining would be enough, and this would drag on further.” Melanie’s expression grew firm. “However, I have made it plain to the others that should you choose not to, i will still use my Power to preserve you. No matter the cost.” She stomped her hoof in anger. “Damn that Star Swirl! You have already gone through so much; first the ritual they used on you that should have killed you; then by you being forced to rip your own horn from your head to halt his Binding.” Her anger grew. “If it weren’t for my sister’s, I would have drawn him into Darkness and tore his soul apart! He had no right to do what he did, no matter what his reasons were!”

Darkswirl just shrugged. “That never stopped him; you know that.” He ran a fetlock over his muzzle to wipe away his tears. “In any case, what is done is done. I will do what I need to; I just wanted to be certain that there is no other recourse.”

“There is none; the Ritual was thorough. It pains me that you will have to die to be reborn, but the alternative is to wait for the other to grow up. And I do not wish to force that upon the child; she is still far too innocent. She should be allowed to have a simple life, filled with song.”

Darkswirl nodded. As Melanie faded away, he gazed once more at the lands he could never call home.

“Soon beloved; I will be there soon. Then, the Darkness will be able to embrace Sol’s Light.”


Author's Note:

Here it is folks; the first chapter of the next fic in my little series.

This story is likely to be nowhere near as long as the other two. At this point, I'm not sure how long. All I can say for sure is that it will be less than 20 chapters in length.

Don't expect any details, here or in a blog -about the new Nocturne ponies I introduced. More will be filled in as it becomes pertinent. For many of the ponies, they will be learning the particulars along with the audience.

All except for the Luna; She Knows All.

See you all next chapter.