• Published 30th Mar 2017
  • 425 Views, 59 Comments

A Spellsword's Journey - Adagio Shimmer



After suffering a major defeat, and losing almost all of her powers, Adagio separates herself from her sisters and enters the portal on her own. What she finds is a new world with new possibilities.

  • ...
0
 59
 425

1: Arrival in a New World

Saturday was a special day for most people in the city of Canterlot, as parents went out with their children and did something fun, or students got together and partied during the night. Some students had no doubt been assigned projects over the weekend, ruining whatever they had originally planned on doing, though while a few would actually enjoy the work there was a larger number that would mess around and not do the work until late Sunday night or early Monday morning. Then there was the group of girls from Canterlot High that either shared their time helping each other, with school work or actual work like dress making, or gathering their supernatural abilities to defeat the forces of evil and save the world.

Adagio Dazzle sighed as she walked down the sidewalk, as she used to belong to a group of powerful creatures known as the Sirens, who used their powers, and their voices, to cause chaos and disorder among the people of the world. She and her sisters had been doing that in their home world of Equus before the unicorn known as Starswirl the Bearded bested them in battle and sent them to a world without magic, where they would have eventually died had Sunset Shimmer, a resident of their home world, not brought magic to this world. Adagio had thought it would be simple to regain their powers, break the seal that was keeping them in this world, and then head home so they could finally rest from their trials.

Then the Battle of the Bands, the worst day in the long lives of the three Sirens, happened and they were beaten again, only this time their necklaces, the source of their powers, shattered upon their defeat and they were cursed with mortality, which she had felt the moment the gemstones had been broken. After fleeing from the scene, and ensuring that they couldn't be found for some time, Aria, one of her dear sisters, finally snapped and jumped Adagio, punching her in the face and blaming her for the loss of their powers, while Sonata merely watched and waited for their sister to calm down.

Adagio raised a hand and rubbed the spot where she had been struck, because despite the fact that Aria had hit her some months ago she could have sworn that her cheek was still sore, almost as if Aria had used what little magic she had left to make her remember what had happened to them. Once Aria had calmed down, to some extent, life between the three of them returned to normal, them bickering with each other and throwing names around to annoy whoever they were talking to. The one thing that kept coming up was Aria's constant mentioning that it was Adagio's fault that they had lost their powers, because, as the leader of the Sirens, it was her plan that had cost them both their powers and their immortality.

Adagio knew that it was her fault, because she had become so intoxicated by the prospect of regaining their former abilities that she had forgotten about Sunset and her friends, who eventually harnessed a power that was far stronger than what Starswirl had used against them, resulting in their current situation. As such Adagio had left her sisters back in their temporary home, an apartment that they had been able to rent thanks to Aria's part time job, and walked back to Canterlot High, where the portal home was located.

Originally she had planned on coming to the school during the Friendship Games, where the students of Canterlot High would have been occupied with the students of Crystal Prep, but then another demonic creature showed up and forced her to run away before being discovered. She had waited a month for the heat to die down before making a return trip to the school, though she did so on a day where she wouldn't have to worry about being seen, but to be on the safe side she was wearing a hood to make sure that anyone she came across didn't find her out until it was too late. Adagio looked both ways, to be sure that no cars were coming her way, before quickly crossing the road and approaching the statue that held the portal home, though she noted that there was some damage to it.

Despite the damage to the statue, and her nearly non existent magic, she could tell that the portal was still active, though as she touched it with her hand it seemed to vibrate for a few seconds.

"Adagio? Is that you?" a voice asked, though Adagio froze as she realized that the voice belonged to Sunset Shimmer, one of the girls responsible for her current predicament.

Adagio moved away from the base of the statue for a moment and noticed Sunset standing on the other side, the one that was the closest to the road. She was still wearing her jacket, something that she apparently never got tired of wearing, though under that was the dress that she had started wearing after her defeat some time ago. Adagio had to wonder what the former unicorn was even doing here, when she had purposely come to the portal when no one was around to bother her.

"Oh, Sunset, I wasn't expecting to see you here," Adagio replied, knowing that her chance to enter the portal, with no one watching her do so, had been ruined, "What brings you to this neighborhood?"

"I live across the street," Sunset said, pointing at one of the nearby buildings, before turning her attention back to Adagio, "I chose such a location so that I could keep an eye on the portal, just in case someone like Discord decided to show up uninvited. I spotted someone walking around the campus and decided to check it out, considering that they were staring at the statue for way too long... though I never thought that I would see you here again."

"I was just, ugh, checking to be sure that the portal was still in one piece," Adagio lied, as she had absolutely no idea what the last demonic creature she had seen had done to the area, besides damage the statue, and that was the best lie she could come up with on such short notice.

Apparently mentioning the portal was a bad idea, because Sunset seemed to understand what Adagio was actually doing here and started to walk faster so she could stop her. Adagio mentally cursed herself for mentioning the portal, as it appeared that she was going to be stopped again and lose the change to ever go home in the future. She stared at Sunset, who was halfway towards the portal, before making a split second decision and threw herself into the magic that made up the portal between worlds. A few seconds passed before she felt the magic of the portal work against her, trying to send her back to Earth and keep her out of Equus, but she groaned and fought against its power to the best of her ability. As her will clashed with the magic she thought of her home, taking a brief moment to visualize her old home, as best as she could remember it, and that caused her to push agianst the magic again.

After a few more seconds of struggling agianst the ancient magic, and trying in vain she mentally thought to herself, she somehow managed to slip through the field of magic she had been working against, though as she considered that victory was hers she suddenly felt herself grow tired all of a sudden. Adagio struggled to stay awake, so she could see her home world with her eyes the moment she arrived, but eventually she succumbed to the magic of the portal as she traveled to her destination, unaware of how much her life was about to change because of her actions.


When Adagio finally came to she expected to find herself in the middle of the Everfree Forest, where a large number of terrifying creatures lived in Equestria if she were to believe the stories Sonata told from her time with Sunset, but instead she found herself in some sort of small bedroom. There was a chair sitting nearby, a wardrobe that likely had clothes inside it, a shelf that had some flowers and gems sitting on it, two small nightstands, and a decent sized pile of books sitting on the floor. She then found herself laying in what appeared to be a straw bed, which some decent covers, but what surprised her at first was that she wasn't anything native to her home world... she was still in her cursed mortal form.

That was before she noticed that the room she had been laying in was actually open to a much larger area... one that happened to have an active font of magic in the middle of it. Despite the near broken nature of her magic she could feel the magic in the air for a moment, leading her to wonder where she was, because it certainly wasn't her home world.

"Oh, I see that you finally decided to wake up," a voice said, to which Adagio noticed an older lady, likely in her forties she would guess, sitting in a chair that happened to be on the outside of the small room she was in, "You gave us quite the scare when Tolfdir and the others found you; attacked by a pair of ice wolves after having collapsed in the middle of a storm. Whatever you were wearing when they found you was completely ruined by all the blood and the tears that the wolves inflicted on you, so you'll have to forgive us for not being able to salvage any of it. It took all of my knowledge in the art of Restoration Magic to heal your wounds and restore you to perfect health, but some of the other professors told me I shouldn't fuss over someone that was likely dead. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when I tell them that I succeeded in saving you... and validating that my school of magic at the same time."

Adagio had no idea what was going on anymore, though at the mention of wounds she looked down at her body and found that there were some bandages wrapped around her arms and legs, while also discovering that she was wearing some sort of worn out shirt and pants in place of what she had been wearing when she entered the portal.

"You know, I expected more of a reaction than staring at old wounds and saying nothing," the lady continued, poking Adagio's arms for a moment before feeling her head with her hand, "You aren't suffering from any curses that might have been flung at you, I checked for those once you were stabilized, and I also healed up that nasty bruise on your cheek. I can't believe that it took you a week to recover, but at least your fine to move about as you please."

"A... a week?" Adagio said, surprised that she had been out for that long, "the last thing I remember was walking through the portal... this shouldn't have happened."

"I don't know what portal your talking about, but that's nowhere near my department," the lady stated, though she stopped herself as something came to mind, "Where are my manners? I am Colette Marence, and I specialize in the Restoration School here at the College of Winterhold, where I instruct others on how to use the healing arts in their lives."

"Adagio Dazzle," Adagio replied, though when Colette held her hand out she decided not to be rude, as the lady had apparently saved her life after her apparent crash landing from using the portal, "Pardon me for asking, but where is this college located?"

"In Winterhold of course," Colette stated, though when she noticed the confused expression on Adagio's face she decided to move further, "on the northern most point of Skyrim? The home of the nords, who seem to hate magic users? Does none of this ring any bells?"

Adagio shook her head, because at the moment Colette had said nothing that let her knew where she was, though she had to assume that the portal she had entered had taken her to a completely different world than the one she had intended to go to.

"Great, it appears that your suffering from almost total amnesia," Colette said, shaking her head as she muttered something about having to reteach someone about the basics of all the magic schools, "Wait here while I go get Tolfdir and the Arch-Mage... they'll know what to do in a situation like this."

As Colette left the room, and left Adagio sitting on the bed, Adagio had to wonder if entering the portal outside Canterlot High had been the best idea she ever had, because now she was in a completely different world, was apparently missing an entire week of her life, and had absolutely no idea how she going to get back home at this point. She laid her head back down on the makeshift pillow that was there and let out a sigh, wondering what else fate was going to throw at her before finally allowing her to go home... though she had the feeling that her life was about to get more exciting than she had originally planned on.