• Published 8th Mar 2017
  • 758 Views, 65 Comments

The Lost Changeling - AizakkuHorooee



A changeling lands in a completely unfamiliar location, one that is not the best place to land at for her, especially when sent flying through the air potentially for thousands of miles. How will she ever make it out?

  • ...
2
 65
 758

Chapter VIII - Oak Trees Are Houses Too

When I look in the direction that Pane points, I see something hanging that says “JCPenney” on all four of it sides. Quickly, the three of us float or fly out of the opening in the skylight, revealing all of the roof that we were under. For the most part, the panes on the skylights are all gone. However, one skylight still completely intact hovers over “The Court of Twelve Trees”. Finally, as time moves on, Rusty and Pane continue to rise, so I continue to follow suit after looking at the intact skylight.

After a quick flash, the three of us stop rising. The flash itself almost blinds me, forcing me to briefly close my eyes. When I look at the ground, none of the roads look near black and rough anymore. Instead, they have a sandy texture and are in different parts of my view, much less farther and few between.

Unfamiliar with the roads, I look at Rusty.

“So, where in Equestria are we now?”

“We’re almost near Ponyville. I took this route when I went to Rolling Acres. Hey Carve.”

“Yeah Rusty?”

“Have you been here before?”

“Only on the first time I was involved with an invasion.”

“Okay, so I assume you don’t know where Twilight’s house is.”

“No. This invasion took place six years ago. How long has Twilight been here?”

“Since Nightmare Moon’s attack.”

“Then that would explain why. So, should I look for what looks like an oak tree?”

Rusty nods.

“Exactly, Carve. It should be in the east.”

When I look at the town of cottages up ahead, I see the oddball I was expecting: I’ll just call it the oak house, since it looks like an oak tree just like how Pane and Rusty said it would. As the three of us land, Rusty looks at me.

“Wait. Were you able to fly like that when I first met you?”

“No, I was earthbound.”

“Then how did you fly like that just now?”

“It was because you two were drowning out the negative emotion. Then when it disappeared after the flash, you kept me going. Thanks, you two.”

Pane lets out a nervous chuckle.

“Uh, you’re welcome?”

So, I knock on the door with my still bandaged hoof, stepping back behind Rusty and Pane, afterwards before Twilight answered.

“Oh. Hi Rusty.”

“Hello, Twilight. How’s it going?”

“Goo-”

Suddenly, Twilight shrieks.

“What is that doing h-”

I interrupt Twilight with a sigh.

“As usual.”

“Excuse me?”

“Twilight, this is Carve. She’s a changeling that ended up trapped in Rolling Acres. Would-”

“WHERE DID YOU GO, RUSTY?!?”

“Uh, Rolling Acres?”

“Don’t you know that’s a dangerous place for a pony to be, almost as dangerous as the Everfree Forest?!?”

“I’m aware of that, Twilight. But it’s even worse for a changeling. Carve could’ve died just by presence if not for me.”

“Well Rusty, was she part of the invasion of Canterlot?”

I step forward.

“Yes. I was, Twilight. But I was more of an eroder, and not much else. I was trapped in Rolling Acres for well over three weeks. Even Chrysalis would’ve long been dead by then if she was alone there.”

Whoa. Twilight looks puzzled.

“Really?!?”

“Yes.”

“Wow. Rusty, thank you for doing this. No one would ever be daring enough to do that.”

Rusty just nods.

“Uh, Twilight?”

“Yes, Carve?”

“That Canterlot invasion is still fresh in my mind. Chrysalis had replaced Cadence if my memory’s correct.”

I get a scowl in response.

“Yeah. Why?”

“I saw a parallel between me and Cadence. We both felt lost. Well, I was lost. I still don’t know my way around Equestria though.”

“Then I guess I see a surprising parallel with Rusty if that’s the case.”

I pause for a few seconds.

“So, where did that wall come from that sent me to Rolling Acres?”

“If you know about this, do you promise not to tell any of the other changelings?”

“You have my word.”

“That was from Princess Cadence and Shining Armor just before their official wedding. That wall was made from love.”

Suddenly, I start laughing uncontrollably for about a minute, flailing my legs as I fall to the floor.

“Holes and hives! That just sounds too ridiculous to keep a straight face on! ‘Made from love’...”

I continue my laughing spell, trying to calm myself.

“Wow Twilight. You sure are a knee slapper.”

I stop laughing to see that Twilight doesn’t share the lovely, yet positively silly sentiment, and instead is just unamuzed.

“Are you done now?”

“Heh. Yeah. Phew!”

“Good. Now where were we?”

“Explaining where the wall came from that sent me to Rolling Acres...”

I cackle.

“...and what it’s made of.”

“Yes. Would you like that worded differently, Miss Laughs-a-lot?”

“Nah. I think I know what you mean.”

“Good. So, is there anything else you want to know, you three?”

“Well, I guess it’s just for me, but is Rolling Acres in Equestria?”

“No. In fact, I don’t know where it is.”

“Huh. I guess all we know about it is just how to get to it. Most of the names there do sound quite peculiar, I like the way they were made. I don’t know about Rusty or Pane though. So, Twilight, where’s that thing you found with Rolling Acres in it?”

“Oh, Spike found it really. It was when Spike and I were looking for the letter about the two tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala. You’ll have to ask him.”

“Wait. The Gra- where have I heard that before?!? I shouldn’t know this, but I do somehow!”

Suddenly, Spike joins our conversation, shrieking when he sees me.

“Ah!!! Cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-chaa-chaaaaangeliiiiing!!!”

And he’s out of the oak house. But maybe it’s not too late.

“Hey!!! Come back!!!”

I pause before I run after him.

“You two get the map of Akron! Twilight and I have a drake to retrieve!”

And with that, Twilight and I gallop off into Ponyville, chasing after Spike to try and calm him down.

Author's Note:

Yeah, originally, this chapter was going to be double length, but I found that it ran actually at a pace that I'm happy with at the normal length.

That is all.