• Published 8th Mar 2017
  • 758 Views, 65 Comments

The Lost Changeling - AizakkuHorooee



A changeling lands in a completely unfamiliar location, one that is not the best place to land at for her, especially when sent flying through the air potentially for thousands of miles. How will she ever make it out?

  • ...
2
 65
 758

Chapter VII - We've Got a What in Here?

“Okay, so how did you get to Rolling Acres then? This Twilight Sparkle never told you how to do that.”

“I found out myself. After I talked with Twilight, I figured I would just fly northeast up until I came across-”

A voice suddenly interrupts me and Rusty’s conversation.

“Hello?!? Anypony in here?!?”

I facehoof at the pun while Rusty rushes over to earlier in our route in evident recognition of the voice.

“Pane Fall?!?”

I decide to quickly follow Rusty to see who was interrupting our exploration. Who else I see is a yellow unicorn mare with an orange mane and tail that are curled at their ends. The cutie mark is of two glass panes: the bottom pane intact, and the top pane only having its sides intact while the rest had fallen in front of and behind the bottom one. The pony’s eyes are of varying tans on both eyes with the lightest on the top and the darkest on the bottom. At this moment, the two hug until the mare sees me and shrieks.

“AHHH!!! A ch-”

“Pane, Pane, Pane... this is a good changeling. I don’t want us to get caught here anyway. So, do you promise not to scream bloody terror anymore around her?”

Pane Fall just nods.

“Good. Pane Fall, this is Carve.”

“Rusty, do you know how long I’ve been looking for you?!?”

“Three weeks? That’s how long I’ve been here.”

“Well, yeah! You had me worried sick! You never go on these kinds of adventures without me.”

“I was extremely curious about this one, Pane. It was only going to be just this once. But then I found Carve and... waited until she came to. I first properly met her at the theater here. How did you get in here anyway?”

“I just found an opening in one of the shattered skylights here. I floated down there.”

My eyes shoot as open as possible after blinking when I hear about floating.

“So let me get this straight. A unicorn can fly with just magic?!?”

“Uh, yeah. I do it all the time to avoid getting cut in the hoof by shards of glass whenever I go exploring with Rusty.”

“So, you’re also an ‘urban explorer’?!?”

“She sure is, Carve.”

Pane Fall turns her head to look at the sign next the JCPenney Outlet Store wall.

“So, this place must be Rolling Acres, huh?”

Rusty nods and turns to me.

“So, Carve, what do you know about Rolling Acres that we don’t know?”

“Why do you ask?”

“You can sense emotions even when you don’t see anypo-”

I scowl at Rusty.

“What?”

“You know what.”

“What? It’s just our way of speaking.”

“By using puns in pride of your kind in everyday speaking?”

“Well, haven’t you used it any?”

“Not since I came to.”

“Look. You can sense emotion unlike us, so what do you know about Rolling Acres that nopony else does?”

“You know you can say ‘no one’, instead of ‘nopony’? Honestly, I don’t see what the point of that is. I would’ve known what you had meant if you said ‘no one’. Seems to me that’s the kind of thing everyone’s doing just because everyone else is doing it.”

“Carve, Rusty’s just trying to ask for information that only you can gather.”

“Thank you, Pane Fall. From what I could gather, possibly around two and a half years ago, this place started looking like what it looks like now. New love hasn’t been in here for years, if my nose says anything. Sadness seems to be the newest before distrust, hatred, anger, and cruelty came in, and sadness here seems to be about a year newer than love, so it seems that Rolling Acres was last used as a market here in... Akron was it?”

Rusty and Pane nod.

“...here in Akron back around eighty moons ago.”

“Thanks Carve. So, this place has been abandoned since the fall before Nightmare Moon’s return?”

“I think that’s what Carve was saying, Pane.”

“Wow, and nop-”

I glare at Pane.

“...and no one ever knew that this place existed?”

I shake my head.

“No.”

“No one except Twilight and Spike.”

Pane looks at Rusty with confusion.

“Who’s Twilight? Who’s Spike?”

“Hmm... now that you mention it, Pane, Twilight actually sounds familiar. Rusty, where did those two live again?”

“In an oak tree like house. At first I thought it was vacant, until Twilight answered.”

“I thought so. I know what she’s a part of.”

“What? What is it?!?”

“It could only be one thing, Pane. Twilight’s part of the Elements of Harmony, more specifically Magic.”

“Magic?!? What does magic have to do with harmony? And what are the Elements of Harmony anyway? A traveling band? Rusty and I never heard about them.”

“I actually have to agree with your questioning on magic’s relevance on harmony. Music does actually make sense for the name of The Elements of Harmony, although it’s actually a bunch of rocks that steer creatures filled with negative emotion clear of Equestria.”

“So that’s why changelings always invade Equestria. We almost never have negative emotions come from p-”

I glare again at Pane.

“...from our kind!”

“So, what are you suggesting, Pane? Is Rolling Acres not in Equestria? If that’s so, then that would explain why negative emotion is everywhere here.”

“Well, if you want to say that, then yes, we’re not in Equestria anymore.”

Rusty puts his right forehoof to his chin.

“Huh. I guess it would also explain the lack of reference to our pride. So, if we aren’t in Equestria anymore, where are we? Where is Akron located?”

“I have no idea. The only two places I’ve ever been to before Rolling Acres is Queen Chrysalis’ hive and Equestria. Hey Rusty?”

“Yeah Carve?”

“Can you guide me and Pane to Twilight Sparkle’s oak tree house? You told me you were there before.”

Rusty shakes his head at me.

“Actually, the better question is, ‘how do we get out of here?’”

“Rusty...”

Pane points to the ‘skylight’ I apparently entered through as a means to get out of Rolling Acres, causing Rusty to land his hoof on his cheek.

“Oh...”