• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 1,955 Views, 25 Comments

Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns - enamis



What dark forces did Twilight and her new friends and older sister manage to stop in Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns?

  • ...
4
 25
 1,955

Chapter 6

Chapter 6




“I hate this…” Starshine complained with a loud yawn. As always, he and Twilight were sleepily keeping a conversation just after breakfast.
After a sleep-full summer it was torture to get up so early.

“Oh, shut up already.” Twilight muttered and yawned in response. They were just standing around for literally over an hour. Their first lesson was supposed to be Combat, and Twilight was dying to know what they were going to be doing.


The room was giant. Then again Twilight slept away half of yesterday so she didn’t necessarily know how the other classes were. Starshine didn’t give an all that useful explanation ether, but then again he was always very negative in the early morning. Right now he was leaning against Twilight struggling to not fall asleep.

Twilight rolled her eyes and examined the room for the billionth time.

The room was pretty rectangular, and one of the walls was covered in windows. There was a really small door in the middle of the other side of the room leading out to the corridor. The room was divided in half by some kind of catwalk. It was splashed with some kind of green paint and the surface was dented, scraped, and bent.

On the other side of the catwalk were the Naga’s. Twilight despised Nagaraac. Most of it was Trixie’s fault, but she was nowhere to be seen.
Twilight saw Lyra though. And Damien too… they were both in the corner and seemed to be just standing there. The two of them weren’t really the most talkative of ponies.

Twilight glanced back at Nagaraac. Starshine snorted in his sleep and held his balance simply by leaning on Twilight.

If the Naga’s were here that meant they would have class together which meant Twilight had an ‘official’ way to pummel Trixie. Twilight didn’t even know where the negative emotions about her came from. All she knew was that Trixie needed that arrogance knocked out of her.

Twilight snarled and probably looked like an idiot being angry at the air.
Suddenly her hear ears perked up.


“Star! I think hear somepony!” Twilight shook the colt off her shoulder and he smacked the ground. Twilight wasn’t the only one though. Both towers turned their gaze at the door as loud echoes of a voice slowly drew closer.

The door opened by some icky green magic and a black mare marched in, dragging along an azure filly.


It was none other than the greasy, unkempt, poisonous-green-maned, and velvet black, dragon eyed teacher: Nexus Nyx Nayma.

And she was dragging none other than Trixie… by her ear….


“And UGH, I just don’t even know what to do with you, you mischievous little…!” she cursed as she kept dragging a squirming Trixie by her ear over to the group of Naga’s.
She nearly threw Trixie into the crowd and suddenly jumped incredibly high and softly fluttered on the catwalk in the middle of the classroom as if it was nothing.


She whipped her dirty mane and her eyes ominously gleamed. The entire room was full of petrified silence. Twilight was getting ready for another Mrs. Mandagor’e-esk teacher that would suspend her for breathing wrong.



Just as she was ready for a blow of punishments, Nexus broke out in laughter. The students just fearfully looked at her and she ended her short laughter session by wiping away a few tears.

As she spoke her voice wasn’t at all raspy, old, or ever cunning. It was honest, cheerful, kind, and she sounded almost like a slightly older version of Moonglow.

“OH! I got you good, didn’t I?!” she chuckled. “Welcome, everypony to the Combat class. I'm your teacher Nexus Nyx Nayma, and this is the class where you will be able to dump all your excess emotions and have some harmful fun!” the class looked at her oddly.

“Ok, ok, I was kidding about the harmful part.” The class stood still. “Damn… Tough crowd…”


Silence.


“Ok, anyway, I won’t tolerate any of your Miss and Mrs. and all that around here, you can save it for Mand-Mrs. Mandagor’e’s class.” She smiled widely. She sounded very young and energetic. If Moonglow would ever become a teacher this would be her, right there. Twilight thought and giggled.

After a few seconds of thinking Twilight caught the teacher’s small slip-up. She almost called Mandagor’e - Mandy. That could’ve been a costly mistake.



“Ok, so since somepony,” Nexus glanced at Trixie, “had me occupied I couldn’t make it in time, we only have about five minutes left, I might as well use them…”

“So. You can call me Nexus, you can call me Nyx… actually I prefer Nyx… call me Nyx from now on.” She got lost in thought for a second. “Anyway, you're probably dying to know why you would possibly need to know any kind of Combat. So let’s begin.”

“Fighting can go both ways. You can attack and you can defend. Technically I'm supposed to teach you defense, but there is basically no point because it’s the same. Let me explain.
To defend you still need to attack for defense, therefore it’s the same, but when it comes to attacking you still use defense in the end. The simplest thing like a shield can protect you and it can be used to swat enemies, therefore attack is defense and defense is attack. Any questions?”


Twilight stood dumbfounded. She felt a light tap on her side and turned to Starshine.
“You get anything?” he whispered. Before Twilight could reply a colt on the far side of the Star tower’s side of the room spoke up.


“Miss-I, I mean Nexus, I think I broke my brain…” he innocently said. The Naga’s broke out in roars of mean laughter and you could see Nyx or Nexus or whatever she wanted to be called snicker. The colt turned bright red and dipped back into the small crowd.

“All you need to know is that you might come out bruised, but this class will be a lot of fun… especially in the later years…” she smiled a devilish smile as the bell loudly rang.



The mass of around 50 students began to stream out a single small door. Twilight was already in the hallway where she heard Nyx/Nexus shout something.

“Oh yea! In case you’re wondering about why I look like this, remind me to tell you next time!!!” she screamed over the sound of young ponies.

Twilight sighed and continued the trek along with Starshine to the next lesson.

---------

History. This will be fun.


Twilight sat in a fairly large auditorium. The desks were a bit too big for most of the foals, herself included.
The lighting was weird there. There was a single, thin window on the far right side of the room and there were no candles only small balls of light floating around the room illuminating it.


Twilight loved history in all honesty. She used to dig up books from centuries ago in her grandmother’s house in Fillydelphia and study them over and over and over and over and over again. And over again…

Twilight thirsted for knowledge. Back when she was still weak at magic all she did was read. That’s why history was her favorite of all.


She just loved, loved, loved the history of Equestria, and she always wanted to see the Heart’s Warming Eve play about the three tribes, but her mom always said; only when she was 10. And she was! This very summer she turned ten just before her entrance exam!

But the one thing she wanted to know more than anything in the world was Celestia’s history. The pony she had admired ever since the Summer Sun Celebration years ago was always a mystery.

Sure, her mom had read her several stories about her having a sister and some kind of elements and nightmares and chaos and all that, but it was just old pony-tales. She wanted the real stuff!!!



So Twilight sat up straight and tried her best to see past the desk. Thank Celestia they were placed like stairs so no other pony’s head was in her way.

As if it mattered…



“UGH!” Twilight couldn’t help but grunt. She looked next to her and saw Starshine nearly under the table, only his snowy-light-blue horn poked above the desk. He didn’t look amused.

Meanwhile Lyra, who sat on the other side of the walkway, seemed pretty comfortable. She sat in her weird pose again, Twilight really otta’ ask her why she sat so weird.


She thought about beginning a conversation but decided; what was the point? Lyra never wanted to talk. At least to her.


Oh hay!

Twilight cursed to herself as she and Blinky exchanged a quick gaze. Luckily the odd filly didn’t notice. Twilight still didn’t understand what made her dislike the filly so much. All the questions of the universe… She thought.

She rested her horn against the desk and reconsidered trying to talk to Lyra again.



The door creaked open.


A yellow pony walked in. Every foal that had paid any attention to the surroundings perked their heads above the tall desks, Twilight included.

“Oh my.” The pony spoke. He had a funny voice. “Did I forget to fix the desks? My bad!” and with that and a flash of light-orange magic all the desks shrank to a 10-year-old’s size. Everypony gasped in amazement.


The pony walked to the desk in the front of the auditorium-like room and used his orange magic to tug a strand of rope next to the tiny window. The curtain behind him opened and revealed a giant chalkboard.

While he looked around for some chalk Twilight had a chance to examine the teacher. From what she had gathered, he was a descendant of Alexandra: one of the three founders of the school.

He was a very short, chubby, and stubby stallion. He slightly reminded Twilight of Cluster. Except he had a mustache. It was pink… Twilight barely kept her laugh down.
He was butter-yellow with a bald head and only a few strands of the same pink mane next to his pointy ears. He looked cheerful with his clear-blue eyes and smile-wrinkles as Twilight’s mom call them. He was wearing a checkered brown jacket, a white undershirt, and a small red bow.

Despite her manners Twilight looked at his flank and found that he had a book cutie mark. He spoke in his cheery voice, rivaling Golden Petal. Twilight smirked and straightened her spine.


“Hello there everypony! I am your history teacher Amenix Alex Jr. Puffle.” He scribbled it on the blackboard. “Don’t bother with my full name, because I don’t either.” He chuckled. “However, you should still call me somewhat formally. Mr. Teacher should do, don’t you think?” he smiled and winked. The class giggled.

“I see you didn’t bring anything with you, did you?” Twilight suddenly felt ashamed. How could she have not brought anything with her?
“If you haven’t, don’t worry.” Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “In the first year we’ll just scratch the surface of the general history of our race. The second year will be more in-depth about our school, then in the third year about Equestria and finally, in the fourth year, about Celestia’s personal history.” Twilight felt a squee go up her spine as she smiled widely. She already couldn’t wait for the fourth year.

“I'm going to tell you in advance, you’ll need a lot of parchment or a very big head.” Everypony giggled.

“But in all honesty, this year will be the roughest, so much to stuff to cover in such small heads…” he sighed. Twilight couldn’t tell if that was a joke.

“But none the less, the first lesson is always like an introduction of sorts. I personally dislike it, we are generally wasteing and day with so much to learn it’s just… Mrs. Mandagor’e and I have talked about that with Celestia, but she keeps saying no. Oh well….” He turned and cleared the chalkboard with another sigh.

“So. We have the time, I'm a history teacher, do you have any questions? About anything really, I’ve been in this school since I turned 10 just like all of you.” He smiled behind his mustache.


The class stood (sat) silent. Twilight considered asking something, but she simply didn’t want to become a teacher’s pet, nopony liked those.
Thankfully, and surprisingly, Lyra saved her from that dilemma. She raised her hoof as 18 pairs of eyes glared at her with mixed emotions.

“Yes, little one? May I have your name and question?” the teacher softly spoke.
“L-Lyra Heartstrings and uhh… I… I-I-I heard that you were-I-I mean are a descendant of Alexandra, one of the founders.”

“Indeed I am. Somewhere around the 77th generation of Puffle.”

“Do you have any kids Mr. Teacher?” a colt in the front row blurted out.
“Actually I do.” He smirked. “I have and daughter around your age and three-year-old son.”
“Are they just as cool unicorns as you?” a filly shouted from the last row.
“What are their names?” Twilight couldn’t resist the stream of questions coming from all around.

“Are they yellow?”
“Are they nice?”
“Where do they live?”
“Can they use magic yet?”
“Are they cool?”
“I like pudding!”


“Now, now, settle down.” Alex hushed the crowd of energetic foals. “Yes, they look like me, yellow and pink, but they’re not unicorns.”
The class gasped.

“I know I know, my bloodline has always been pure unicorn, but unfortunately my wife hailed from pegasii despite being a unicorn herself, so both of my darlings will grow up to be flyers one day.” He smiled. It almost looked sad, but why? Twilight didn’t understand.


“Do they have cool names?” Starshine asked. He startled Twilight because the usually energetic colt had been sitting quietly for all this time.

“Define ‘cool’ dear boy.” The teacher smirked. Starshine sat quietly with eyes wider than normal from the teacher’s witty remark.

He giggled and spoke.
“My son is named after the tradition of the Puffle’s. Butterscotch Alexander Jr. Puffle. But my daughter has a simpler name, Fluttershy Sunleaf Puffle.”



“Cool name.” Starshine muttered and placed his head on the desk, still, barely awake.

“Yea… cool…” Twilight muttered back. She suddenly felt woozy… out of it…
That name…
Somehow,
Somehow it seemed familiar… but Twilight knew it was just her mind making things up again, like that giant spider she thought she saw in her saddlebag last summer. She sat deep in thought for the rest of class.

-----------------------------------
Edited by Midge Mannequin