• Published 17th Feb 2017
  • 740 Views, 12 Comments

Dear Diary - Vixie



Dear diary, today at school, the three blank flanks were playing on the swings. Me and Silver pushed them off and they fell into the mud! It was hilarious, nopony could stop laughing!

  • ...
3
 12
 740

Saturday, December (Hearths Warming Eve)

Dear Diary,

Tomorrow is Hearths Warming and I'm freaking out! I forgot to get Silver a present! I woke up in the morning only to realize that I'm the worst marefriend ever. It might be especially hard because my family's money supply has gone downhill. I have no idea how I'm going to scrape together enough bits to buy Silver a gift. I guess she's always been the considerate one in our relationship since I didn't really think to get her a gift until this morning, but I bet she's got my present covered already. Maybe I could... Make her something? No! I had started to pace around my room. I could say something super sweet to her... No! Not good enough! I'll probably have to buy her something. I sighed. "Where will I get the money to do that?" I slumped down on the floor when something under my bed caught my eye. "Hm?"

I trotted over to the mystery item. Pulling it from out under my bed I dusted it off and read something on the label. Emergency Money it read. "Yes!" I yelled out triumphantly, remembering when me and Silver unearthed it from her yard and brought it to my house a few months ago. The day we confessed to each other. "This might be just enough to get Silver a decent present from the gift shop!" I opened the suitcase, taking out all the bits and putting them in my saddle bag. I wrapped my scarf around my neck and was just about ready to leave when my phone rang.

It was from Silver. "Um... Hey, Silver." I held the phone up to my ear, opening the door and hurrying downstairs. I waved goodbye to my parents who were fussing over bills.

"Hi, Di! What're you doing?" Silver asked.

"Just... Um... Things!" I replied, strolling across the street and crawling when I was going past Silver's house.

"Okay...? Well anyways, are you busy tomorrow?"

"Why would I be? It's going to be a Sunday and my parent's will be worrying about the money." I guess my family's financial state hasn't affected me yet since I was always hanging out with Silver.

"Well, I'm planning a Hearths Warming party and wanted to know if you'd come over."

"Of course I would! Why'd I miss out on hanging out with my marefriend?" I looked up ahead, I was almost there. Just a little more, I told myself. I trudged through the snow, keeping my eyes fixed ahead.

"Great! The party's going to be at 5:00 PM, at Sugarcube Corner tomorow. I'm inviting the whole class." Silver informed me.

"Mhm, got it! I'll definitely be there!" I was in front of the gift shop. "Talk to you later, Silver."

"Okay, see you, Di!" Silver ended the call.

I shoved my phone in my saddlebag. I opened the doors to the crowded store. I squeezed myself in and managed to crawl to the counter. "Excuse me," I started.

"What can I help you with?" The salesmare asked.

"I'm looking for a Hearths Warming gift." I said.

"That's what everypony's looking for. I'm surprised they all waited until the last minute to buy them." The salesmare commented.

"Well, um... Yeah." I noticed something very cute and big. It was a giant gray teddy with the words 'I love you' printed near the stomach area. Silver would like that. I thought. "How much?" I pointed to it.

"100 bits."

I dug around for a few bits in my saddlebag, counting them before giving them to the salesmare.

"Thanks for your purchase, here's your receipt,you can take that over-sized teddy bear now." The salesmare slid the receipt over the counter.

"Thank you!" I stuffed the receipt in my saddlebag, grabbing the giant teddy bear to go to a nearby gift wrapping service.

"How much for a boxing and wrapping?" I asked.

"150 bits." The stallion in charge replied.

"Here," I pulled out some bits from my saddlebag, giving them to the stallion. "Now be quick, I need to bring this home as quickly as possible."

"Okay," The stallion quickly got to work and pushed a nicely wrapped package my way after he was done.

"Thanks, got to run!" I rushed off, struggling to hold Silver's present. She'll love it! I told myself. I wonder what she got me...

I practically kicked open the front door to my house and rushed upstairs. I slammed the door to my bedroom shut, gently pushing Silver's gift under my bed. "Now..." I turned towards my closet. "Time to plan tomorrow's outfit!" I leaped into the closet, throwing out the clothes that I didn't want to wear. No... No... Not special enough...

"Ugh!" I groaned. "I'll have to go new clothes shopping!" Putting my saddlebag back on, I flung the door open, zooming downstairs and out the door. I needed something special to wear to Silver's party. Unlike Hearts and Hooves day, I was going to be prepared.

I sped over to Rarity's boutique. Hopefully the prices aren't to high... I barely had any bits left.

"Why, hello there..." Rarity turned to me.

"Hi.Um, do you have any special clothing items for Hearths Warming?" I asked.

"They're in the special holiday selection, you should be able to find them."

"Thanks!" I was hoping that there was a sale on the clothing I found, but so far, no signs. "Please be cheap..." I muttered. I had never said those words in my life. I trotted over to one side of the boutique, looking for filly-sized outfits.

My gaze fell on an amazing Hearths Warming themed dress. I rushed over to it. Please don't be expensive... I hoped, staring at the price tag. 100 bits. My spirits dropped. I only had 50 bits left to my name. I sighed, about to walk away. No! There has to be something better! I'm not leaving empty hoofed! Determined, I looked over the price tags. There was a skirt for 50 bits. I beamed. I grabbed it and slid it over the front desk. "I would like to buy this, please!" I told Rarity, putting all of the bits I had left on the counter.

"Alright, darling," Rarity counted my bits and frowned. "Um, you're 10 bits short."

"What?" I was almost sure I had given Rarity the correct amount. "No, I gave you 50 bits."

"Precisely. I'm afraid you've misread the tag." Rarity pointed to the tag. Instead of 50, it said 60. I was in such a rush that I hadn't noticed.

"B-But... I need that," I began. "I don't have anymore bits to give you for it. My family doesn't have anymore and we're in debt..."

Rarity remained silent. "I'm sorry."

I turned and walked away, my head down. If I didn't show up with anything special, Silver might think I didn't care enough to go out and get something for the occasion.

"Wait!" Rarity said. "I'll reduce the price for you by 10 bits." She levitated the skirt in front of me.

"Really?" I asked looking back at her.

"Mhm," Rarity nodded. "Go on, take it."

"Thank you!"

"Merry Hearths Warming!"

"Same to you!" I gently placed the outfit inside my saddlebag, running back home.

When I got into my room, it was almost dark. I put my Hearths Warming outfit in my closet, smiling. Ring, ring! It was my phone. "Hello?" I held the phone up to my ear.

"Hi, Di!" Silver chirped.

"Oh, hey Silver!"

"So, Diamond. Do you think Gingerbread cookies, or heart shapes ones?" Silver asked.

"Um... Both?"

"Okay! Do you think there should be a mistletoe or would that be too much?"

"Maybe you should add it?"

"Thanks! Streamers or no?"

"Candy cane styled streamers would be a definite yes."

"Got it! Goodnight, bye!" Silver hung up.

She was probably being super specific with Pinkie about the party planning. I shrugged, placing my phone on the bedside table. I got up and walked to the bathroom to take a quick shower before going down to dinner.

"What are we going to do?!" Dad complained.

"Shh..." Mom patted him on the back. "It'll be okay, honey."

"But we'll even have to sell our house at some point!" Dad wailed.

"Hm?" Mom looked at me. "Sorry, Diamond, no dinner today."

"That's because we can't get enough money to get groceries!" Dad explained.

I went to bed without eating the whole day but I didn't necessarily care. I just assumed my parents were saving the groceries we had for another day. I put my tiara on the bedside table next to my phone. And then I fell asleep just as my head hit the pillow.