• Published 26th Feb 2017
  • 728 Views, 27 Comments

Crystal Rose - Marina Stars



Sombra is cursed, and has lost all hope. Radiant Hope dreams of a life beyond the confines of ponyville. But should their stories meet? A tale as old as time...

  • ...
1
 27
 728

Chapter 1

Chapter One

Radiant Hope opened the front door of her cottage, her lavender crystal coat and sky-blue mane glistening in the dim light of the early morning.

As she stepped out onto the porch and began down the path into town, she took in the picture-perfect scene in front of her. Celestia’s sun began to slowly peak over the mountains, it’s rays illuminating the vast fields around Ponyville, turning them from a dull grey, to a vibrant green. Then, as the sun continued to rise its light stretched forward reaching the white-washed sides of Hope’s cottage, just on the outskirts of the village. And before long it would illuminate the thatched roofs of the homes and shops that made up the small town of Ponyville.

By then, the ponies began to stir in their homes, preparing for the day ahead of them. The mares would help their fillies and colts dress for the day or finish stirring their oats while the stallions would sit to eat their morning meals. Throughout it all the town would be hushed as though still shaking off sleep.

And just as Hope reached the edge of the town the clock would strike eight, and just like that Ponyville would come alive.

Hope had watched it happen countless times, that was enough to know that morning in Ponyville started the exact same way for as long as Hope had lived there. And yet this morning, like every morning it still amazed her as she watched the streets flood with the same ponies going about their daily routines.

She couldn't help but frown at the mundanity of it all. She often wondered what it would be like to wake up and start the day differently for once.

Shaking her head, she continued on her path. It did her no good to wonder or wish for the impossible. This was the life she had always known, the life she shared with her father ever since they had moved here from the great Crystal Empire many years ago. She knew it was a waste of time to dwell on the past or wonder about the what-ifs. She had things she needed to do, errands to run, ‘and a new adventure to find’, she thought glancing at her saddlebag, a book tucked safely in it.

Straightening her shoulders, Radiant Hope trotted into town and down the cobblestone road. As she passed ponies, she would nod distantly as she wove her way through the crowds.

While she had lived in Ponyville most of her life, she felt like a stranger there.

The town was located in the rural countryside of Equestria. And, like most of the countryside, it was isolated and insular.

Most of the ponies that lived in the town had been born there and most would spend the rest of their lives there. To them, Ponyville was the world. They never dreamed of traveling beyond its borders like she did and so, outsiders were viewed with caution.

Hope was almost positive that, even if she had been born there she would still have been viewed as an outsider. She really didn't have much in common with most of the other ponies. And if she was being honest she enjoyed reading, learning of distant lands, and practicing magic much more than she enjoyed the idle small-talk of the village.

Traveling to distant lands and having wondrous adventures seemed much more interesting. If only she could experience them outside of the pages of her books.

Weaving her way through the street she listened as the rest of the ponies greeted each other. She felt out of place and alone. Although they were polite to her, she knew that at the center of their gossip was her. Without her they would be bored out of their small-minds. Celestia forbid they have better, more interesting things to do with their lives. Like read, or travel, or do something useful.

She frowned, taking notice of a group of ponies whispering noticing comments like ‘strange’ and ‘funny mare’. Why did ponies like to gossip so much?

Perhaps, it was a way to make them feel better about their own sad, miserable, lives. That’s all it was. A way to feel powerful by putting others down. It wasn't fair to any pony, especially the ones being gossiped about.

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts she proceeded to her first stop.

“Good morning, Hope.” Carrot Cake, the town’s baker and owner of Sugar Cube Corner, greeter her “What can I get for you today?”

“A loaf of bread please.” She said levitating her bits over to the baker, noticing a platter of warm muffins she added a couple of bits “And two muffins well.”

“Here you go.” Carrot said handing her baked goods which she placed in her saddle bag.

“Have a nice day.” She said as she walked on to continue her shopping.


“Morning Hope!” A familiar country mare called out to her.

Hope Smiled and returned the greeting “Good morning Applejack.”

Of all the ponies in this town the Apples were the most trustworthy of them all. Applejack and her older brother Big Macintosh were raised by Granny Smith, an elderly mare who had taught them the value of integrity.

They were honest about their produce and made the freshest apple products in Ponyville.

“How are things going at the farm?” Hope inquired as she inspected some of the apples, selecting a few to take home.

“Things are mighty fine on our little farm. Zap Apple harvest finished a few days ago.” Applejack explained. “Granny Smith has been working hard these past few days, even made a fresh batch of jam this morning! I daresay it’s her best yet!”

“Well, in that case I’ll have to try some. I’ll two jars of jam along with these apples.” Hope said, levitating the sack of apples she had selected.

The country mare nodded handing her the jam and accepting the bits she offered.

“So, how has your Granny been, anyways?” Hope asked as she levitated the groceries to her saddlebag.

“Well, she’s doing fine, for now. Unfortunately, she gets rather sick now an’ then, on account of old age of course. I tell ya, I hate leaving her home alone all day, but I’ve got apples to sell, an’ Big Mac has his deliveries an’ all.” She paused “Sometimes ah wish we had another pony working the farm, just to make sure Granny’s okay while Bic Mac and I aren't around, besides, there are so many chores that need to get done, the three of us can’t hardly keep up.”

Hope hummed in understanding “I do hope she will be alright. If there is anything, and I mean anything, do not hesitate to ask. I’d be happy to help”

“Thank you for the offer, Hope. The special medications you’ve made for her have always been such a big help.” Applejack smiled softly. “It’s been more than enough. Besides, she’s strong. An’ she says she’s waiting for somepony special to return home. Says she won't leave ‘till they’re back. Don't know who she means, neither does she apparently. But she says they’ll come.” The country mare smiled fondly.

“Sounds like she’s giving herself a reason to live a little longer.” Hope smiled sweetly “I wish her the best of luck. Have a nice day AJ.” She called out waving as she cantered off

“You too sugar cube.” The farm mare called back.

Hope levitated one of her muffins and spread some jam over it before munching on it, a fond smile spreading over her features. The apple family was probably one of the most caring families in the town. AJ and her family were some of the only ponies who didn’t judge her for her love of reading as well as healing magic. In fact, they were the only ponies who ever really allowed her to use her special talent to help heal the ones they loved.Most ponies didn’t approve of one using magic for more than simple levitation. If they thought her strange before, her knack for healing magic wasn’t helping.

Not long later, she passed a familiar unicorn stallion who was looking around, rather confused. “Good morning Shining Armor.”

He jumped at her voice “Oh, Good morning Hope. Where are you off to today?”

“To Sunburst’s to get a book. I just finished a wonderful story about two star-crossed lovers in-”

“Sounds boring.” Shining Armour interrupted her as he continued his search.

Though Hope was slightly annoyed at being cut off, she knew she should be used to it. After all it was the same every day, she’d try to share a story, only to be interrupted and brushed off. Speaking of the same old routine, she thought as Shining Armor wandered nearby.

“Is everything alright?” Hope inquired.

“Oh, um, yep, everything is fine.” He replied quickly.

She raised an eyebrow, not convinced “Did you lose something again?”

He looked down at his hoofs sheepishly “Um, maybe.”

Hope let out a small laugh. He seemed to lose things quite often and as much as he tried to hide it, she always knew when he had misplaced something “Here, I’ll help you find it.”

“Well, that’s just it.” Shining Armor explained, “I know I’ve lost something, only problem is I can’t remember what.”

“I’m sure it’ll come to you.” Hope reassured him “Just keep looking.”

“Thanks Hope, I will.” Shining waved to her as she walked away.

Finally, she reached her destination. A small little building on one of the quieter roads of the small town. Opening the door, she walked in to see an orange unicorn stallion with white spot on his nose and hoofs and a messy amber mane and goatee. A pair of black-framed glasses sat upon the bridge of his nose. He levitated several pieces of parchment and quills in his golden aura, writing several sets of notes at one time.

Hope heard him mumbling a little to himself, though most wasn't understandable.

“Hmm… perhaps if I… no, that’s not it… maybe… nope.”

“Good morning, Sunburst.” She finally spoke up, causing the stallion to jump and loose concertation, dropping everything he held in his aura.

“O-o-oh, um, Hope!” He stuttered “G-good Morning! I wasn’t expecting you back so soon.” He smiled, gaining control over his stuttering “So, where did you run off to this time?”

Hope beamed excitedly, finally able to explain a story she loved to a willing listener. “Two cities in northern Equestria, it was amazing! The culture, the lights, the music, and the ponies! Everything was perfect!” She continued, excitedly telling Sunburst about the story, despite both having already read it many times. It seemed to be a ritual of theirs. She would tell him of the adventure before selecting a new book to read.

When she had finished she asked. “Have you gotten any new places to visit?”

“No, I’m afraid not. But you may reread any of the old ones if you wish.”

Hope wasn’t surprised, it was rare that any new story was added to the collection. Most of the books were of magic and science. While she had read many of them, they weren’t the type of book one would read over and over.

“It’s alright.” Scanning the selection of books, she chose one of her favorites to re-read, again. “I’ll borrow this one.” Placing it in her saddlebag she smiled at the stallion. “Your collection makes our corner of the world almost feel a bit bigger.”

“Have a nice day.” He smiled tenderly opening the door for her, like a gentlecolt should.

“You too.” And with that she proceeded down her cobblestone path, to a nearby street.

There she saw a familiar face. Sitting along one of the walls was a mare, Lilith.

While the ponies thought Hope was strange, they considered Lilith a total outcast! She had a tattered old cloak that she wrapped herself in. Her slate coat was matted and on her hooves were four rusty horseshoes. Once upon a time she was undoubtedly a beautiful young mare, but after years of begging in the streets she had become thin, almost bony, her once beautiful violet eyes had turned dull.

Hope had always felt something of a kinship with the mare, thus, she tried to visit her now and then to share a conversation and brighten her day.

“Good Morning Lilith.” Hope smiled tenderly “I brought you something.”

She levitated her second muffin from her saddlebag and placed it in the old mare’s hoofs.

“No jam?” Lilith gazed questioningly at the crystal unicorn.

Predicting her response, Hope had already retrieved a small jar of Zap Apple Jam from the saddlebag.

“Is it Zap Apple season already?” She remarked in surprise. Hope nodded.

“I swear, it comes sooner and sooner every year!” She sighed “Time flies when you're as old as I am.” She whispered grasping hope’s hoofs in her own. “Treasure your time being young and beautiful my dear.”

Hope shook her head “I’m not that beautiful.”

The old mare gave her an incredulous look, “You can't truly believe that, can you? You are a modest and kind mare. You don't wear those frilly dresses and excessive makeup like the other mares that parade around town. You have a simple, natural beauty. A beauty that goes farther and lasts longer than appearances. You are kind, caring, selfless, virtuous, and so many good things other mares could only dream of being.”

Hope pondered the mare’s wise words it for a moment. She was right, many of the mares in this village focused only on outward appearances. Though some would act sweet to your face, they would quickly turn around and mock you behind your back. She shouldn’t care about their opinions. They were not important. But every biting word, every rude remark, tore into her little by little.

Lilith’s voice pulled her out of her thoughts “True beauty is found within, how then can you think you are not beautiful?”

Hope sighed. Despite the fact she was different from other ponies, she was often considered ‘the most beautiful mare in town’. The thing was she didn’t want to be the most beautiful mare in town. It brought too much unwanted attention. And Hope did not like unwanted attention, hated it in fact!  

Author's Note:

Enjoy! Tell me what you think!

Any suggestions for Gaston? I'm thinking Blueblood, but he seems over-used in stories like these. If you have any suggestions feel free to tell me.