• Published 26th Feb 2017
  • 725 Views, 27 Comments

Crystal Rose - Marina Stars



Sombra is cursed, and has lost all hope. Radiant Hope dreams of a life beyond the confines of ponyville. But should their stories meet? A tale as old as time...

  • ...
1
 27
 725

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Mathis loved attention, lived for it in fact! Ever since he had been a small colt, he had sought out ways to make himself the absolute center of attention. When he was young he had been the first of his age to walk, first to talk, and as he got older, he grew taller and more handsome than anypony else in Ponyville. With his smooth ash coat, black mane and piercing green eyes he was extremely good-looking. All the mares loved him; the stallions worshiped him. And Mathis? He soaked up the love and attention, literally.

You see, there was a limit to how much attention Mathis could get growing up in such a small town, and it had irked him greatly. Then, to his great delight, Equestria had gotten involved in a war against the Changelings. Mathis had seen the war not as an opportunity to defend his country but as a chance to wear a dashing uniform and woo the ladies.

Unfortunately he had been young and foolish then. He had underestimated the powers of the changelings. In truth Mathis had never returned home. The colt had died in the war at the hoofs of the changeling prince, Metamorphosis. The prince had seen an opportunity. By taking Mathis’s place he could feed off the love of ponies, strengthen his kingdom and prove he would be a powerful ruler when the time came. And of course, his mother Queen Chrysalis had granted him his request. Metamorphosis became Mathis and had returned to the small town of Ponyville a war hero-twelve years ago.

He still wore the uniform, for the ladies adored a stallion in uniform.

And he still believed himself to be the most handsome and manliest stallion in the whole of Ponyville.

Now he stood tall, mane shining in the sunlight, staring down at his village from the promontory that overlooked it.

Strapped to his back were the spoils of his hunt. He would always go out and catch the biggest prey he could-which wasn't so hard considering he was a unicorn-and show off what a great hunter he was to the ponies of Ponyville bringing in more love and praise to feed on. And as usual, he’d had a successful afternoon in the woods.

“You didn't miss a shot, Metamorphosis!” said the stallion beside him.

The changeling prince hissed “Not so close to the village Thorax! You don't want us to get caught!”

Thorax tittered nervously “Sorry.”

If Mathis was a lion of a stallion, which many ponies, and changelings, had called him over the years, then the stallion beside him was, well… a kitten. Thorax was everything Metamorphosis was not. Where the prince was tall and muscular, in both forms, Thorax was short and soft. Where Metamorphosis was all smooth, practiced moves and well-rehearsed lines, Thorax was timid or stumbling incoherent babble. And where Metamorphosis was known and worshiped by every changeling and every pony in ponyville, Thorax, otherwise known as Black Sparrow, was barely even a footnote in the eyes of the ponies.

Still, the prince kept him around because he was like a brother, when Metamorphosis had taken the place of Mathis Thorax had volunteered to take the place of his number one sidekick, Black Sparrow. Metamorphosis had allowed him to come because he had a soft spot for the colt-even if changelings don't love- mostly because Thorax was his biggest fan.

“You’re the greatest hunter in the village,” Sparrow went on. Mathis shot him a look and he quickly corrected himself “I mean… the world!”

It was true. As a changeling, especially prince of the changelings, he ought to have been.

“No beast alive stands a chance against you! And no mare for that matter!” Sparrow nudged him playfully.

Mathis puffed out his already puffed-out chest even more and raised his chin as if posing for some unseen artist. “Thank you Sparrow.” He said. He then looked down at what Sparrow had “caught”- a hoof full of vegetables- and raised an eyebrow. “You didn't do too badly yourself.” he added insincerely.

“One of these days I’ll learn to hunt like you,” Sparrow said, oblivious to Mathis’s mockery. “And talk like you. And be tall and handsome like…”

“Me?” Mathis finished receiving an enthusiastic nod from his companion “Come now, old friend,” Mathis said, pretending not to love every last compliment. “Reflected love and glory tastes just as good as the real thing.”

Sparrow cocked his head, confused. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped when he saw Mathis stand taller and straighter. His green eyes narrowed, as if he were a wolf spotting it’s prey, the changeling’s instincts to hunt kicking in.

Following Mathis’s gaze Sparrow saw what had caught the prince’s attention.

Below the crystal mare Radiant Hope was making her way through the village square. Her sky blue dress bringing out her shining eyes. Even from such a distance, Sparrow could see that her cheeks were flushed becomingly.

“Look at her Sparrow, my future wife and queen. Hope is the most beautiful mare in the village and that makes her the best. And don't I deserve the best?”

“Of course you do. But she’s so well read and a pony, a very shiny pony.”

Mathis nodded “I know, Hope can be as argumentative as she is beautiful.”

“Exactly!” Thorax said happy to see the prince see reason. “Who needs her? If you want a queen, any female changeling would be delighted to take on the roll.”

“I know but all the changelings are the same. Hope is different, not to mention she is a crystal pony and reflects love. In fact, when their spirits are high, just one can generate more love than a small group of regular ponies. Tell me that wouldn't make the perfect queen for people.”

“I know, I know, but Hope doesn't ever seem to be in high enough spirits to generate that much love. She doesn't seem content in this small town. Besides wouldn't that require an extremely complicated spell to turn a pony to a changeling capable of producing more changelings?”

“Perhaps. But ever since taking the place of Mathis, since the war, I haven't been able to enjoy the full thrill of the hunt. It’s just been like something’s missing.” He said still looking at Hope “And she’s the only mare that gives me that sense of, of…” Mathis stumbled trying to find the right words.

“Je ne sais quoi?” Sparrow finished for him.

Mathis turned and looked at him, confusion on his handsome face “I don't know what that means.” He said “I just know that,

'Right from the moment that I met her, saw her,
I said ‘she’s gorgeous’ and I fell
Here in town there’s only she who is as beautiful as me.
So I’m making plans to woo and marry Hope.

He sang, his rich baritone voice filling the air. “Now come, I don't want to stand here any longer wasting time.”

He took off in a gallop heading towards the village, the picture of a here returning from war. Behind him Sparrow pinned back his ears and broke right into... a slow trot.


Hope heard the galloping moments before the two stallions burst through the village gates. In truth, one burst through; the other sort of meandered in. Instantly Hope recognized the ash unicorn with his smooth black and turquoise mane. It was Mathis. Behind him, his ever present sidekick Black Sparrow, a yellow pegasus with charcoal tipped wings and a feathery charcoal mane. Sparrow was struggling to keep up with Mathis’s wide stride.

Hope stifled a groan and quickly ducked behind the cheese seller, hoping and praying that Mathis would not notice her.

She’d had one too many run-ins with the war hero and every time it had gone the same way. Mathis would preen like a peacock while he had boasted about his latest hunt or told her a tale from his glory days in the war. Hope would always try not to roll her eyes. The villagers-especially the female ones- would swoon and whisper at how lucky she was and in the end Hope walked away with the urge to take a bath.

She knew that Mathis was considered by many-well all, if she was being honest-to be quite the catch. But Hope simply could not stand the stallion! there was just something beastly about him.

Like now, she thought glancing behind her. Mathis stood his eyes scanning the crowd like a wild animal. Hope groaned as his deep green eyes locked on her blue ones and he began to push through the crowd of ponies to get to her. Hope swiftly turned and hurried off in the other direction, hoping other ponies would distract him long enough for her to get away.

Unbeknownst to Hope, just as Mathis was upon her, Lilith stepped out in front of him, her cup of coins raised. Mathis looked down at the homeless woman and his lips curled in disgust. Then he saw the shiny metal cup.

“Thank you, old hag” he said grabbing it from her hoofs and turning it upside down. Bits spilled to the ground as Mathis checked his reflection in the bottom of the cup. Satisfied with what he saw, he shoved the cup back at Lilith and pushed past her.

“Good morning Hope.” He called, teleporting right in front of her. She took a quick step backwards.

“Morning Mathis.”

“Nice book you have there.” He said.

“You’ve read it?” She raised an eyebrow.

“I did a lot of things in the army.” He answered vaguely, puffing his chest out further.

Hope stifled a laugh. It had taken him less than ten seconds to mention the army. ‘Must be some sort of record’ Hope thought.

He glanced at her book snatching it from her hoofs.

“Mathis may I have my book back please?”

His muzzle scrunched “How can you read this? There aren't even any pictures.”

Belle held back yet another irritated groan “Well, some ponies prefer to use their imaginations.” Then she said under her breath “You should try it sometime.”

He chuckled and threw the book behind him on the road. She was about to go retrieve it when he blocked her path.

“Hope, it’s time you get your muzzle out of those silly old books and focus on more important things,”

“Hint hint.” Sparrow said from his previously unnoticed spot at Mathis’s side.

“Like you?” Hope said. That line was no surprise for he had repeated it more than once.

“What do you say we take a stroll through town and I’ll show you my medals. This one,” He said pointing to one pinned to his uniform “Was for…”

“No thank you.” Hope interrupted him. She knew if he began talking about himself he would never stop. Ever.
Behind them three mares watched their conversation.

“What is she doing?” One asked

“She’s crazy!” Another added

“He’s gorgeous!” The third sighed dreamily.

Mathis was taken back by her interruption. “Well then how about I join you for dinner tonight?”

“Sorry.” Hope said, hastily shaking her head. Inching around him she picked up Sunburst’s book and looked for the quickest escape possible. “Not tonight.”

“Busy?” Mathis asked

“Uh, no.” Hope said and before he could reply or even process her refusal, she was ducking back into the street. Behind her she could already hear Mathis twisting her words in front of a crowd of ponies who had gathered to watch them. It was clear that the stallion had interpreted her ‘no’ as part of a game of hard to get.

Hope rolled her eyes. She didn't care what he said or how he made himself feel better about the rejection. She knew the truth. Mathis, despite his size and popularity, was no bigger than the town of Ponyville. And there was absolutely no way she would ever share her dinner table with him. Not now, not ever.

Author's Note:

Yay! Another chapter finished!

A big thank you to Sir Shining Armor for suggesting Metamorphosis and Thorax for the roles of Gaston and LeFou.