• Published 6th Feb 2017
  • 1,411 Views, 47 Comments

Open Your Heart - Gpizano



After suffering a loss, Sunset and friends are feeling low in Los Pegasus, but it's not the end. A storm is coming, a storm that will change everything.

  • ...
5
 47
 1,411

Thunder, Rain and Lightning

"... I can't do this, Sunset."

This gave the redhead pause, halfway through buttoning up her white blouse as she glanced over to Jackie. It was so... odd. Her girlfriend, more often than not, usually called her by the nickname 'Sunshine', so much that it was odd to her her real name at times. Sunset finished with her blouse before moving over to the bed to sit next to Jackie. The guitarist was already dressed, in a black long sleeved shirt and black jeans, but was just staring blankly down at the black sneakers she was supposed to be putting on. It was the best that the bluenette owned that was appropriate enough for the funeral.

The last month had been difficult, Jackie wouldn't do much the first week, but by the second the nightmares seemed to die down enough that she'd get out of bed more and get back to her job as an uber. But now that it was the day of Poppy's funeral, all Sunset could do was what she had kept doing, try to be as comforting and supportive as possible. She pulled Jackie into her arms and started stroking her girlfriend's head.

"It's going to be okay Jacks. We're all going to be there for you..."

"And so will Poppy's parents."

While she had never met them, what bits that Poppy had cared to share made Sunset grimace slightly as their being mentioned.

"Come on. We'll have to get going soon."

Once they were all together, they'd leave with Bobby to the Los Pegasus Memorial Park Cemetery, all quiet during the trip and not even the pleasant summer weather could lift their spirits. When they had arrived, Tino, Bobby, and Twilight were there, along with the Dazzlings, guys from the auto garage that Poppy worked at, and her family. Two sets of grandparents, what appeared to be an aunt and uncle, and finally Poppy's parents themselves. Compared to the tattoo covered young woman, the parents were fairly opposite, dressed in a respectable manner that suggested they were above middle class. Sunset didn't take the time to look at them for too long as soon she spotted a couple more people that had been able make it, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Treehugger.

The main service in the church had happened yesterday, so today they were seated outside, staring at a closed casket while the priest said a few last words and Poppy's co-workers came up to each sprinkle a bit of holy water on the casket. When all was said and done, the crowd would start dispersing, all except for Poppy's parents who stayed seated at the front. Pity swelled in Sunset's heart before she glanced over to her girlfriend. The guitarist seemed like she wanted to go over there but was hesitant, the idea of speaking to Poppy's parents worrying her for many reasons. Still, Jackie took a deep breath and walked over with Sunset close behind.

"Um... Mrs. Sales?"

A noticeable flinch went through Jackie when Estelle Sales turned her head ever so slightly to look at Jackie, a sharp gaze being felt behind those designer sunglasses. Still, Jackie cleared her throat and continued on.

"I just... I wanted to say how sorry I am. It all happened so far and... and if I could I would've done something. Not go after that guy, not let her push me out of the way just... I am just so sorry."

"... okay. I don't forgive you. You may leave now."

Cold as ice. Jackie felt it run through her whole body before her shoulders slumped and she turned to leave. However, Sunset put a hand on Jackie's shoulder to stop her.

"She said she was sorry."

It was hard to see a resemblance between Poppy and one of the top Estate Agents in the city, her skin was a fine powder blue and her hair a dark shade of red, but when the sunglasses were removed, the pale lavender gray eyes were near identical, and they narrowed as Estelle looked at the two of them, silencing the angry snap Sunset felt well up in her throat.

"And I said that I do not forgive her. I always knew Miss Vibrato was a bad seed. A loser from a broken family that would just drag my daughter down with her. I wanted Poppy to go to college, to take up a better career, instead, Miss Vibrato enabled her into wretched body art, playing in some worthless band and working a back breaking job. Do you know how long it was the last time I even talked to Poppy!?"

By now Estelle was on her feet, shaking with anger and pain, but at the last second she pulled back and put her sunglasses back onto her face.

"You want to try and pawn off some of your guilt by apologizing to me? Well I won't let you, Miss Vibrato. I want you to live with what you did for the rest of your life. Goodbye."

And with that she grasped her husband's arm and they were off, leaving behind a visibly shaken Jackie and a furious looking Sunset. As much as Sunset wanted to run after that vindictive bitch, her attention was caught by Jackie, back turned to her and taking a few steps away.

"Jackie?"

Moving in front of the guitarist, Sunset took her shoulders and tried to look her in the eyes, but Jackie kept her gaze to the ground.

"I... I want to go home..."

"Alright Jacks, we'll go home."


No rest came to Jackie that night. She just stared up at the ceiling for hours, her mind replaying memories... the drug trip and when that girl was torn apart, the Friendship Games when Sunset had her chest blown open, Poppy lying on the forest floor with three bullet wounds in her chest. It just kept replaying over and over again until finally she couldn't take it. She carefully left the bed, giving one last, apologetic glance back to the form of her sleeping girlfriend before dressing and slipping out, making sure to grab her car keys and wallet.

It would only take about thirty minutes to drive to the nearest liquor store and put her purchases in the trunk before heading for the cheapest motel that came to mind. However, as she sped past an alleyway, she missed a strange orange light that flashed momentarily from it. Then moments later a man in a black, zip up hoodie with a long, silver beard stepped out, smirking as he left to find more victims. He needed a bit more energy before he went after the real target....

Author's Note:

I'll be honest, I always had in mind that Poppy came from a "well to do" family to say the least, but I never knew exactly for what. So for the mom I just went successful real estate agent. XD

But yeah, hopefully an exciting first chapter! With more on the way!

Edit: UGHHGHGHGHGH, I always have to go back and fix things. DX