• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,945 Views, 12 Comments

Somepony to Care For - CNUBRONY



Spike feels alone, until his luck changes one day, but will it last?

  • ...
3
 12
 1,945

The Last Inclusion

As Spike continued to feel sorry for himself, he dragged his aching body downstairs where he, much to his dismay, saw Twilight and her friends; including Rarity. He turned around to go back upstairs, when Twilight invited him down.

Spike really hadn’t talked to Twilight much since he found out about Rarity’s “favor”. He just didn’t know how to confront her about it. On the one hand, he really did care about Twilight, and Twilight was just trying to help. Twilight, Spike felt, was truly his only friend in Ponyville. On the other hand, however, the past few months of his life had been a lie. And now, more than ever, he was alone. He felt elation, and then felt the crushing blow of finding out it was fake.

“Spike, we were just talking about you.” Twilight giggled in a way only a girl could. It did little to relieve Spike’s tensions though, as he stood there looking at the ground and trying to hide the scowl on his face.

“Pinkie thinks we should throw you a party!”

A party, Spike chuckled to himself. That was just what he needed; more ponies hanging around him, without actually caring about him. He remembered his birthday party, which included several of Twilight’s friends once again pretending to care for him. It was a memory which lately he had been trying to forget, since it included… her.

“Well gosh, thanks but I think I’ll pass. I’m heading out to look for gems. I’m awfully hungry.”

It wasn’t a good lie, but Spike was in no mood for a party, he hardly ever was anymore. Thoughts which had once seemed so distant and absurd, were now his escape to a better place.

“Rarity likes gems!” Pinkie exclaimed, in her normal, excited tone.

“Yes, but gem hunting with that dragon is something I’d prefer not to do,”

Rarity’s response was bitter and uncaring, then again, none of them cared for Spike, and he didn’t blame them. After all, he was just a stupid dragon, and they were ponies. Why would ponies waste their time with dragons?

So Spike, glum and depressed, a mood he found himself in more and more lately, set out of the house to get away from all the commotion. It was only a while later he noticed somepony was following him.

****

Spike turned around abruptly to see which pony had been following him. Squinting through the dark, he picked out the recognizable purple flank of perhaps the only pony in Ponyville that he cared for.

“Hey, Twilight.”

“Hi Spike. What are you doing out here? I thought you were gem hunting.”

The note of sarcasm in her voice gave Spike the hint that she knew he never intended to actually go gem hunting. Spike sighed; Twilight always did have a way of seeing past him. That’s why their relationship was so close, despite him being a dragon to her a pony. Spike considered going off on Twilight, after what she had done to him, but changed his mind and said softly, “It’s Rarity. She let me down hard.”

Twilight looked at Spike with sadness in her face. It was as sincere as could be, as far as Spike could tell, and it made him lighten up for the first time in many months. “They’ll be other ponies, don’t worry. And besides, you and Rarity can still be friends.” She looked up at Spike and smiled, hoping to calm him somewhat.

“Friends? With her? Not happening.” Spike was not giving Rarity a chance to be friends, mostly because he knew she didn’t want to be friends, but he also feared getting to close to her again.

“Oh come on Spike, she’s a lovely pony, and you’re a great dragon. Just because you can’t combine the two, doesn’t mean you can’t be friends.”

Spike had no desire for friendship though, not after the way he had been treated, not after the things she said.

“I would never be friends with something so horrid.” It was cold, Spike knew that, but he really didn’t care, and he hoped Twilight didn’t either.

“Spike, watch it, she’s my friend.” Twilight’s tone did little to hide her frustration at the dragon, and he sensed it in her.

“And what does that make me?” Spike didn’t mean to say it, he really didn’t want to upset Twilight, but his tongue slipped.

“Spike, you know I’m your friend. But Rarity is my friend too.”

“You’ve known me for longer though! We’ve been together since we were both tiny!” Spike was now screaming at Twilight. He wanted to stop himself, to tell Twilight everything, and to thank her for being the only true friend he had, but he simply couldn't bring himself to do it.

“Yes but Spike, although you’re my friend, you’re also my assistant.”

Spike was furious, what did that have to do with anything? The only pony whom he thought cared for him thought of him as nothing more than free labor. He stormed off, unaware of where he was going, only knowing there was nothing and nopony for him in Ponyville.