• Published 5th Jun 2017
  • 893 Views, 47 Comments

Shattered Rainbow - TheMajorTechie



Rainbow Dash: The filly that never had a chance.

  • ...
3
 47
 893

Sister

By the time Derpy remembered that the rest of her delivery rounds were still unfinished, the sun had already begun to set.

Rainbow chuckled to herself as she sat in the middle of her now well-worn pillows, picking out occasional bits and pieces of pillow-stuffing from her fur and feathers.

And by the time the sun had long-since vanished from the horizon, Rainbow had already laid on her bed.

Slowly but steadily, she felt her eyes begin to droop.

And yet, the familiar feeling of sleep wasn't there. Rainbow turned to her side, sinking her head into the pillow.

Is this what sleep is really like? she thought silently, drawing the covers over her eyes.

But no! her mind suddenly shouted into the silence of the night, You slept soundly before, in the hospital!

Rainbow Dash stared blankly into the dark abyss of nothingness, having drawn the covers off her face not too long before. Her mind was now occupied with its internal debate, and yet she was far too exhausted to care.


At some point or another, the mare had finally realized that she had fallen asleep. Not by will, but by need. And now, far too early in the day for anypony else to possibly be stirring, Rainbow lay awake.

It felt strange. Rainbow had lain in the same bed for each year of her life, and yet now, even in the same bed, everything felt different.

The mare had been discharged from the hospital, albeit flightless due to her clear lack of a wing. The first thing her parents had done the moment she was allowed to leave was to scoop up the mare, and bring her home.

Rainbow’s eyes flitted across the strange, bare walls of her foalhood bedroom. The deep blue glow they seemed to emanate so early in the morning felt almost disturbing in some way or another. Even more upsetting to the mare was the lack of the Wonderbolts memorabilia that had seemingly kept her company every night for years prior. The mare shuddered as she drew her blankets closer.

“R...Rainbow?” a meek voice squeaked from behind the door, followed by light knocking. “Are you awake?”

Silence.

The knocking grew louder.

"Hello?"" the voice called again.

Rainbow groaned, lifting herself onto her hooves and trudging towards the door. For a moment, the mare froze, a flurry of thoughts entering her mind.

What would she think of suddenly having an older sister?

How would she react to me missing a wing?

How cool does she think I am?

Rainbow Dash smiled to herself as the final question passed through her, before being abruptly interrupted by the door before her rattling yet again from a brief rap.

“Are you sleeping, Dashie?" The sleepy voice of her mother called faintly from behind the door, "Your sister wants to play with you.”

Rainbow shook herself from her stupor, pressing a hoof against the door’s handle. “Um... no, mom. I’m coming ou--”

A blue blur struck the mare the moment she opened the door, knocking her down.

Rainbow grimaced as she pulled herself up, followed by Spectral Glider, who struggled to free herself from her current predicament.

“Mmfh.”

Author's Note:

Welp. That certainly took a while to write.

EDIT: Whoops. I accidentally left a question mark in the title of the chapter from before I finished, when I was debating whether or not the chapter should lead into another one where she gets to know her sister and--

I'll stop now. :facehoof: