• Published 29th Jan 2017
  • 815 Views, 16 Comments

Enigmatic Destiny - Cosmic Enigma



How is a powerful dark magic-using pony with god scrying powers more useless than anypony else? By being completely foolhardy and sarcastic is how.

  • ...
12
 16
 815

A declaration of foresight

Author's Note:

Attention: This will be easier to read in Ultra Dark mode.
Formatting (in top right corner) --> Color --> Standard/Ultra Dark

A black unicorn stallion sits at a table, old book in view, quill off to the side, for which the pony sub-consciously takes notes with. So used to studying is he that the act of taking notes has become a self-proclaimed background process. Good news for the stallion to which 2 massive lavender eyes were glued intently to himself, and only inches away, the very definition of distracting; so entranced were these eyes, you'd think the owner was expecting something very interesting to happen at a moment's notice.

But no, this violet unicorn in particular was just very annoying when it came to the quality of books.

In another attempt to make the eyes flinch, he enveloped the entire book with his magic before turning a page, as opposed to just the page itself, although unsuccessful, he did elicit a response.

"Can you please stop that?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." he deadpans.

"I know what you're trying to do."

"Is that so?"

"You're trying to annoy me."

"I'm trying to give your eyes a reason for being the size of dinner plates, but alas, there is not, nor will there ever be, a reason for eyes to be the size of dinner plates."

"I'm being vigilant."

"You're being sarcastically vigilant, it's that kind of look that says 'yes, I'm listening'."

"I'm just making sure you don't destroy an important archived document."

"And you think that would take place within the breadth of a second?"

Silence.

"You think that if you don't look closely enough, you might miss it?"

More silence.

"I think you just want to know what I'm doing." The colt starts to copy down a complicated scroll marking into his notebook.

"I'm not interested in the slightest."

"Fine, I'll tell you. I've been trying to learn all there is about scroll spells, and by using, what else, a scroll, I've found that any information I don't have resides solely here, and in a small rural town library a day away by train."

"Wait a minute," She sits down, "why didn't you just go to the town first instead of the royal archives?"

"My reasons are threefold: one, there is only one spell pattern here that I don't know yet..." The mare becomes interested in what this is and slowly leans forward to look.

"...two, I'm planning on living there even when I'm done, and three, destiny!" he slams both books before putting his quill, inkwell and notebook into his ever-present saddlebags. This allows the mare to realize what he just said.

"Destiny?"

"Yes, destiny," He stands up from his chair, "I have an actual sixth sense that tells me when something important is about to happen, and it tells me to do things, and when I do them, good things happen. Sometimes, it even tells me things that I shouldn't know, depending on how important the event is. Now if you don't mind, I have a train to catch."

While in leaving, the mare takes one last note of his features. He has black fur, with deep blue eyes. His mane and tail is a dark blue, with cyan highlights that contrast against his entire body. His cutie mark is, unsurprisingly, a scroll and quill.

The mare's attention goes back to the book, she slowly approaches it, but before she can look in it, a story book is placed on top of it.

"By the way, my sixth sense tells me you need to read this."

"There is no such thing as destiny."

"Sure, sure... see you in Ponyville." The mare casts a confused stare at the stallion, who then winks before leaving.

Looking to the storybook, she did realize one thing, she hadn't read that one yet, and who's to say that he hadn't found a way to predict the future, perhaps he actually did read all there is to know about scrolls, she wouldn't know, she really wasn't that into scroll spells anyways.


Later, much to this mare's displeasure, she had found something, and had her assistant take a note to her mentor, a princess by the name of Celestia. She had a response written quite quickly.

"See, I knew she would want to take immediate action."

*ahem* "My dearest, most faithful student Twilight. You know that I value your diligence and that I trust you completely. But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!"

"What?"


Did you hear about the origin of Zebrafrica? It was said that the ponies cared so much about standing out, that when a fire started, they were unable to put it out because of poor city planning, in fact, it was so catastrophic that the entire continent turned into sand. Some towns and cities are like that, trying their best to stand out. This is not one of those towns, but if it was, the residents didn't need to do anything differently. It was next to the mysterious everfree forest, which housed an old castle of arbitrary importance. It was here that Twilight and her dragon assistant were now headed in the back of a royal cart, driven by pegasi.

"My dear Twilight, there is more to a young pony's life than studying, so I'm sending you to supervise the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration in this year's location: Ponyville. And, I have an even more essential task for you to complete: make some friends!"

"But, but... no... I... this is no time to make friends."

"So all that freaking out had nothing to do with him?"

"Spike."

"It's that pony from a week ago, the one that said 'see you in Ponyville'."

"There is no such thing as destiny!"

"Twilight, this seems like a pretty big coincidence."

Twilight sighs, Spike was right, not only did she find something in that book, but now she was being assigned to Ponyville, the very town that stallion had told her about. Who was this perplexing pony?

"At least you're getting assigned to a library, doesn't that make you happy?"

"Actually, yes, if that odd pony could find something of interest there, then I can too."