• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 413 Views, 6 Comments

Morning Meir Mysteries: Case 1: A Mad Mare Affair - XombieSlayr



Morning Meir, Equestria's single most brilliant pony and physcian has been tasked with uncovering the mystery behind the death of one of the most important figures in the city of Mareiposa.

  • ...
 6
 413

Chapter 4: "The Call From Nopony."

Chapter 4: "The Call From Nopony."

I must've sat there for hours, pouring over the numerous articles and stories relating to the murders. And about this "Phantom" character. My suite had been a truly welcoming sight after such a strange and surprising day. I had quickly changed into my nightgown and settled in at my desk to begin going over all that I had taken from the State room underneath the Beuteux De La Conciergerie.

The low dark clouds and occasional rolls of thunder told me that a storm was coming. I watched from my window as the gentle rainfall began.

I had just turned back to the articles on my desk, when suddenly the phone rang. I had never in my life felt hesitant to answer a phone before. But this time I think I had a good reason to. But after a minute of ringing, I decided to answer it, purely out of a desire to know who it was. Even if it was someone dangerous, its not like they could get me over the phone.

I picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" I asked gently.

A low and deep voice came from the other end. It sounded quite ominous. "Ms. Morning Meir?"

I hesitated,but answered truthfully. "Yes, this is her. To whom am I speaking to?"

"My name is Argyle. I have something I must discuss with you in person." He sounded serious.

"What for, Mr. Argyle?" I asked.

"I have information regarding the identity of Mr. Alphonse Regal's killer. And I know it has something to do with "The Phantom."

My eyes widened. "The Phantom? The same one from the newspapers?"

"The very same."

I was surprised. I had not expected The Phantom to be involved in this. Still, now that I was thinking about it, it made sense. Who else but a master of disguise could infiltrate the summit, without being noticed. But had they killed Mr. Regal? Somehow, I didn't think so. It seemed too...simple. Why put on a disguise in that case? If one is already at the party, just do the deed and leave. The killer would have no need for disguises at such a grand event. But then what was The Phantom's involvement here?

"Mr. Argyle? What does The Phantom have to do with all this?"

"We cannot speak about it over the phone, Ms.Meir. Tomorrow morning. 8am at the Cafe De la'artois. At the corner of Rue and Hample. I will be wearing a grey overcoat. You must not speak to anyone about this."

I was confused. But understood perfectly. This wasn't something we could discuss over the phone. We could have no idea if the lines had been tapped or not. It was best to play it safe. "I understand." I said clearly. And I did.

"Thank you. Do not be late." With that the receiver clicked and there was silence. I hung up the receiver, and simply sat at my desk. This whole thing had only gotten stranger. This pony, Argyle...Could I trust him. Could I trust anyone?

I decided to meet him tomorrow. Even if this did turn out to be trap, I could handle myself, and at least then I would find out who was behind this. If it was genuine, though. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

My mind was racing so fast, I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep, until the next morning.

Early Morning, Cafe De La'Artois (9:58 am)

I sat at my table patiently. The waitress had brought me my Chocolate Mochachino and Caramel swirl like I'd asked. She had even put extra cream in it for me. Perks of being a tourist, I suppose. I sipped it, as I periodically looked around for any sign of Argyle.

I looked at the clock above the doorway. It read exactly 8 am. Where was he? I glanced back to see a tourist enter the cafe. It wasn't Argyle.

Disappointed, I decided to head back to my suite and go over the articles again. After I finished my latte of course. I was very surprised when I saw the same tourist I had seen just moments ago, suddenly gallop out of the cafe, at full speed, with a briefcase in his teeth. Where in the world was he off to in such a hurry?

I got up and looked into the cafe. It was then that I saw the package he'd left on the seat.

I stood there for a moment.

Then my mind put the pieces together instantly. I had only just managed to duck down when the explosion happened. I was flung from my spot as the whole street, rocked from the shockwave of the explosion. Broken glass and debris flew in every possible direction, as a massive fireball engulfed the whole place. My senses struggled to catch up with me, as I laid there for a few minutes, before I finally passed out.

2 Hours later

When I awoke, the scene had been cleared out. Any ponies that may have been around, had been escorted away by police. I picked myself up to see the once lavish Cafe now completely in ruins. Smoke billowed out from the shattered windows, and debris from the building could be found all over the street. Luckily no one outside the cafe had been hurt. (Apart from me getting knocked out, I seemed to be okay as well.) The streets around me were deadly quiet. Not a single soul around. It was then that I heard crying from inside the Cafe. Someone had survived the blast.

Judging by the police tape all around, the inspector and his forces had already combed the place. The only ponies around were curious witnesses or survivors of the explosion, being asked questions by police. The cafe had looked so beautiful before. Now it was just a smoking debris riddled mess. I hoped that they would be able to rebuild it.

Over in the bar area I saw the waitress who had given me my latte not more then a few minutes before the explosion. She was visibly in shock, and had her head in her hooves, trying her best to calm her random shakes and heavy breathing. I decided to try and calm her down, while also getting a few questions in.

Questioning (Buttered Scones, Waitress at Cafe De La'Artois, Witness, 10:02 am)

I approached her calmly and spoke in a soothing and friendly manner. Her name tag read Buttered Scones.

"Ms. Scones? My name is Morning Meir. I'm a doctor. I wanted to see if you were alright, and also to ask you some questions if you'd be willing."

She looked up from her hooves. She was pretty, but very scared. Her voice trembled a small bit when she answered. "I-I I'm alright. Thank you Ms. Meir. I'm just a little shook up. I-I...I don't even know where to begin."

"Just take a breath and try starting at the beginning. Take as much time as you need."

She took a deep breath, and that seemed to calm her down. She could speak clearly now, as she retold the events of what had happened.

"I had brought you your mochachino, then I went back into the cafe. A stallion in a grey overcoat asked me for a small coffee."

My heart skipped a beat. A grey overcoat! Argyle...He had been here. He must've been early, and taken a seat inside. I decided not to tell Ms. Scones. It would only upset her more. I let her continue.

"I got him his coffee, then went out back to take the trash out. That was when...the explosion happened. I fell on the ground and woke up with police questioning me, and a splitting headache."

So she had been knocked out as well. And the police had questioned her after she woke up. With a splitting headache, and having to answer questions? No wonder she was all flustered.

I asked her my next question.

"Did you see a tourist enter with a package?"

Her eyes widened. "Y-yes I did. A dark looking stallion with a hoof shaped scar. He was wearing a tacky Hawaiian shirt, cap and a camera. He had a package in his arm. He set it down on a chair next to the grey overcoat stallion."

So it had been the same tourist that I had seen before. He had set the bomb directly beside Argyle. He had been targeting him, specifically. But why a bomb?

"Did he talk to the grey overcoat stallion?"

She shook her head. "No-he just smiled at him. Then he grabbed his briefcase and ran out the door."

So it had been Argyle's briefcase he had had with him, when he ran off. What had been inside of it, that the tourist had wanted so badly? and why had he killed Argyle for it?

"Did the stallion try to stop him?"

Again she shook her head. Her eyes dropped sadly. "He...He didn't have a chance. The tourist dropped the package and ran out the door."

She was right. Argyle wouldn't have had a chance to react. He had been killed instantly by the explosion. This couldn't have been a coincidence. This had been because of our meeting. Someone wanted to silence him before he could talk to me about The Phantom.

The Phantom. Was information about them this dangerous? Was it worth killing someone over? I had more questions for Ms. Scones, and she may know something about Argyle. Maybe he was a regular here.

"Did you know the stallion, Ms. Scones?"

"No, ma'am. I had never seen him before today."

"Was he acting...strange?"

"He...kept looking about him- at the door, at his watch. As if-

"As if he was waiting for someone."

"Yes, ma'am. He was worried about something, that's for sure."

She brushed back a lock of her mane. "If you ask me, he looked like he was on the run. Someone was after him. He had that look in his eyes. Like he knew he was being hunted."

I agreed. He was most certainly being hunted. And they had gotten to him. But who were they? Was it the same killer who killed Mr. Regal? Or...was it The Phantom themselves? So many questions, I almost forgot to ask Ms. scones my last one.

"Did the stallion have anything with him beside the briefcase?"

Ms. Scones looked puzzled for a moment, then her eyes lit up. "Yes, actually. He dropped a note when he sat down. I picked it up and was going to give it to him when I came back from outside." She reached into her apron pocket and pulled out a small note, and handed it to me. "I didn't read it. Out of courtesy of course."

I looked over the note. It read " Salah-A'dinn 1345." A reminder? An address? Either way, I now had my next lead on this case. I locked it in my memory, then ripped up the note. I didn't need this killer to find out where I was heading. Plus, it had no further use to Mr. Argyle.

I thanked Ms. Scones, and told her to go home and get some rest. She had earned it. She thanked me back and wished for me to stay safe. I wished I could've taken her advice.

I walked out of the ruined Cafe and onto the sidewalk. Besides the explosion that had rocked the streets, the quaintness of the small avenue was truly one of splendor. Everyone was going about there business, and the day was sunny and warm. Peaceful.

I hadn't even taken a step when a voice suddenly shouted "Freeze!" I yelped and shot my hooves up immediately. I didn't want to be arrested (Plus, I had been given quite a start.)

"Turn around and drop your weapons on the ground!" the voice shouted.

Weapons? What weapons, my hooves were already up!

I turned around to see a rather portly colt in a police uniform, glaring at me with a club in his left hoof. He was wearing his uniform on backwards, and he looked like he had just got done eating, by the crumbs all over his muzzle. Who was this guy?

I put my hooves down. I wasn't about to let myself be intimidated by this joker. "There's no need for this, officer. I'm a doctor, I was just making sure one of the survivors wasn't in shock." I explained politely.

He looked at me menacingly. From the way he was licking his lips, he was either eating the crumbs off his face or thinking about eating me. I didn't like either scenario.

"Knock it off, Moose. She's not a suspect." A familiar and rather loud voice called. "Yet."

Inspector Maregold and his lieutenant, Goldbloom, trotted up to us. Goldbloom smiled at me. "Nice to see you again, Ms. Meir. Are you alright?" she asked.

I smiled back. "Yes, Liutenant, I'm fine. Ms. Scones was just leaving to go home. She was shaken up a bit, but uninjured. Did you identify the vict-

Maregold interrupted me. "I'll ask the questions here, Meirs."

"It's... actually just Meir, Inspector-

"What were you doing here?" He demanded. What was with this guy? Did he just not like me for some reason? Why was he so suspicious of me?

Again, I couldn't lie to the police. But again, I didn't have to tell them anything. I told them what I had been doing while I was here in the cafe.

"Having lunch." I said simply.

He scowled at me. He knew I was hiding something. But he couldn't prove it.

"Am I under arrest for having lunch?" I asked, trying to sound tough. It seemed to work as he backed down a bit.

Goldbloom chuckled to herself. "No, Ms.Meir. We just wanted to ask you some questions."

Questions. They wouldn't be interrogating me for anything. They were just going to ask me if I had seen anything or had been injured or anything like that. I would answer truthfully. But again, I didn't have to tell them everything.

I nodded. "Okay then. What did you need to know?"

Goldbloom took out a notepad. "Were you close to the cafe, when the explosion struck?"

"Yes. ma'am. I was sitting right outside, at the tables."

As I expected, her eyes went wide in surprise. "Right Outside?! Your lucky to be alive, Ms. Meir!"

I smiled. "I know how to take care of myself, ma'am."

she nodded. "Clearly."

Inspector Maregold, however, showed no reaction to my remark. He just stood there, looking angry.

Goldbloom looked back at her notepad. "Did you see the deceased enter the cafe?"

"No."

Goldbloom flipped a page. "Did you see anyone else enter the Cafe?"

I had to tell them. At least with the police looking for him, it would make it easier to find him.

"Yes. At 8:01, exactly, a saw a tourist. A dark colored stallion with a Hawaiian shirt, cap, camera, a hoof shaped scar under his left eye, and a small mail order parcel. He entered the cafe, left the package then ran out with a briefcase. I believe the parcel he had been carrying was the bomb." I explained, recalling it all from memory. Perhaps I spoke too fast, as poor Goldbloom nearly broke her pencil, trying to scribble it all down.

"Well, that's...quite a statement, Ms. Meir! Did you see him afterwards? Where he ran off to?" She asked, a little winded.

"No. I didn't. I checked to see the bomb, then ducked for cover."

"Of course."

She put away the notepad. "Thank you for your time Ms. Meir. We will take your statement and do everything we can to find the bomber. Don't worry. We won't rest until hes brought to justice." She assured me.

With that all three of them simply left, following one last angry glare from Maregold. They were certainly odd. It seemed to me, that despite his position, Maregold did more scowling and accusation then actual detective work. From my impression of both the inspector and Moose, lieutenant Goldbloom seemed to be the only officer who actually cared about solving this case. The rest were either quick to judge or just suspicious of everyone.

I decided to keep Maregold in my mind as a suspect. He didn't act like a detective. (Plus, I may have been a little sore with how much of a jerk he'd been. But hey, he was still a suspect, regardless.)

I stood there for a moment to make sure they weren't suddenly going to turn around and arrest me for standing in one place for so long.

After I was sure they were gone, I put my mind back to tracking my next lead: Salah-A'dinn 1345. Besides that I had to find out where the killer had fled. I could picture the scene perfectly in my mind. Just before I had turned my head to look into the cafe, he had galloped down an alleyway, beside a motel. I quickly retraced his steps and found the alleyway. I began Investigating the area, to see if I could pick up the bomber's trail.

Investigation (Back Alley, Late Morning, 10:27am)

The alleyway was small, cramped and didn't smell as nice as the rest of Mareiposa. There were trashcans and junk piles in few spots and and I spotted a large ladder on the side of the building.

At first I suspected he must've gone up the ladder and escaped via the rooftops. But upon further inspection, the ladder had been broken for years. He certainly hadn't used this to flee the scene. I examined a nearby window, but it had been barred up and sealed off. Not this way either.

Then I saw the sewer hatch at the end of the alley, and my heart sank. Oh no...please tell me I don't have to go down into a sewer!

Upon inspection though, I clearly saw that the hatch had been opened recently, using a tool of some kind to lift it up, as I could see by the scratch marks on the surface of the lid.

I tried to weasel out of it, by telling myself that I didn't have the tool to open it. But then I saw that the tool was right in front of me, resting against the building. The bomber had forgotten to retrieve it.

I sighed as I realized I had no other option. The bomber had to have gone down this way, there was no other way he could've gone!

Deciding to just get it over with, I used the tool to lift the lid, and held my breath as I made my way down.