• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 414 Views, 6 Comments

Morning Meir Mysteries: Case 1: A Mad Mare Affair - XombieSlayr



Morning Meir, Equestria's single most brilliant pony and physcian has been tasked with uncovering the mystery behind the death of one of the most important figures in the city of Mareiposa.

  • ...
 6
 414

Chapter 10: "Conspiracies."

Chapter 10: "Conspiracies."

This case had been a roller coaster from the beginning. But now...things were almost getting to be too much for me. Beneath the streets of mareposa, in the water reservoir tunnels, me and Dr. Seastone had uncovered the existence of a mysterious cabal of wealthy and influential ponies with, not only aspirations of world domination but were now after me. And Inspector Sleuth Maregold had apparently been in league with them the entire time.

I knew explaining all this to the others would be quite a challenge indeed.

Ralah And Salah's Room, Trottingham Le Grande, 10: 00 am

"I'm...I'm sorry Ms. Meir, I must've misheard you. Can you please say that again?"

Lieutenant Goldbloom had "misheard" me about 3 times before she finally got it. But it didn't sound like she believed it any less than I would have. And who could blame her? She had been Maregold's partner after all. Now hearing how he had been in league with the ones who had assassinated Mr. regal and Argyle? It was probably too much for the poor mare.

"I know this is hard to believe, lieutenant. I scarcely believe it myself. But...we know what we saw. Dr. Seastone can confirm it."

Dr. Seastone nodded her head. "I know an evil secret society when I see one. " she said seriously.

The Lieutenant wasn't the only one in the room who had trouble understanding us. Ralah and Salah both had their own opinions on the situation.

Ralah was excited and amazed, and wanted to hear more.

Salah either thought we were either lying. Or hoped we were lying.

He got up from his chair and rubbed his eyes as he struggled to get his thoughts together. "So...lets say your right about all of this, Meir." he said, sounding as if he still had trouble believing it.

"That would mean we would suddenly be up against not only the good inspector, but a secret cabal of insane bureaucrats, their allies, any contacts that they have, including surveillance agents, and to top it all of the Hashashin."

I felt that he needed to hear a simple answer. "Yes." I said in an almost apologetic way.

This was not the answer he wanted though as he sat back down on the couch in a huff and sighed in defeat. "Perfect."

Goldbloom stood up. "But this is insane, Ms. Meir! I know Sleuth wasn't the nicest pony in the world, but...H-he's not a criminal! I've known him for years."

Then she sat back down. "At least...I thought I did." Then she went silent. The poor mare was clearly confused and hurt, and I felt it was best to just leave her to her thoughts for now. The rest of the ponies in the room followed her example, as the room went silent.

Ralah piped in from her place at the mini bar, as she swirled around on her stool. "So...where do we start?" she asked the room.

Unfortunately the room didn't have an answer. But me on the other hoof...

Don't get me wrong. I had never encountered anything like this before. I mean, a secret society? Corrupt cops? Dangerous orders of assassins?

I was a doctor, and not meant to go up against any of these things. I was made to fight diseases, not megalomaniac bureaucrats.

But still, I knew what we had to do here. It was simple: "Find out whose part of this secret society and take it down from the inside."

Half the room gave me a concerned look, but Dr. Seastone just smiled. "That's brilliant! We find out whose running this thing, we can take them down before they even know its us." she exclaimed excitedly.

Ralah cheered as well. "Yeah, go team!"

Salah stood back up. "As long as we don't get killed in the process. But who do we start with?" he asked me, specifically.

I recalled the faces and mannerisms of the members of the society from memory. "I remember a very snobby mare with a tiara. She wore a ton of diamonds and jewels and said something about her group owning property."

Salah raised an eyebrow. Then sighed. "Gold Digger. Of course she would be involved in all of this."

The name rang a bell, but I wasn't entirely sure which bell it rang. "Who is that?" I asked.

Salah poured himself another glass of cider. "Only the richest, greediest and most disgustingly snobbish mare in Europa. She owns the Gold Group, which basically owns everything else. At least property wise. She's as rich and spoiled as you can get. Probably more so."

That sounded like the mare I had seen in the tunnels. "Where can I find her?"

"Depends on what your planning on doing once you find her."

"I'm going to get some answers about this society of theirs, and either convince her to stop working with them..."

"Or?"

"Or I'm going to make her." I said gravely.

Salah laughed. But not in a mocking way. In a way that seemed like he would love to see Gold Digger be taken down a peg.

"Alright then." He said with a smile.

He trotted over and joined his sister at the mini bar. "The mare's got penthouses all over the country. And each one's basically a fortress. But there is one in particular that she favors most. Its a little villa out on coastline of Mareposa: Villa De Vasconellos."

He took a sip of cider. "When she's not busy ruining pony's lives or buying up everything in sight, she usually stays there to unwind after a busy week of being filthy rich and spoiled. That's where you'll find her."

"Thank You, Salah."

He smiled again. "You can thank me once you've taken Goldie down. Believe me, Europa will be happier for it."

I turned to leave but Salah stopped me." Another thing, Meir."

"Yes?"

"You should go alone. Too many ponies with you will draw attention. And this place ain't exactly easy to get into even by normal standards. Keep on your guard at all times. And if you have to sneak in, don't get caught."

I nodded. "Right. Thanks, Salah."

As I left I heard Dr. Seastone and Ralah call out to me. "Good Luck Meir!" Said Ralah.

"Give her a shot in the muzzle for me!" Said Dr. Seastone.

I closed the door and made my way down the stairs, all the while collecting my thoughts.

The coast wasn't too far away. But the real problem would be getting into the place. I had never once broken into anywhere, and I didn't plan on doing so now. But If I had to, I'm sure I would be able to find my own way in.

After all, I'd gotten this far, right? But then there was the thought of the inspector. And the assassins that he had gunning for me. When would they make their move? Where would they come from? And how would I fight them off?

All questions, that I hoped, I wouldn't need answers to right away.

Mareposa Coastline, Outside Gold Digger's Villa, 12:02 pm

The taxi trip had taken two hours to reach the coast. But as I stood outside the enormous gates of the even more enormous manor, it sunk in just who I was trying to get face time with.

In front of me, an enormous palace of grandeur to make even Princess Celestia jealous loomed in front of me, built into the cliffs of the coast like a floating castle on water. The entire place was fenced off by an enormous gleaming golden gate, that clearly had several magical security measures on it, as even the birds were avoiding taking a rest on it.

The place made me feel so small. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling. I decided to just try my best to get it over with. Maybe if I was nice and courteous, i wouldn't have to worry with Gold Digger as much as I thought. She was a pony, like everyone else, despite her wealth and reputation.

This line of thinking calmed me as I knocked on the massive mahogany doors of the villa, which were engraved in several fancy and intricate wood work designs.

I jumped as the doors suddenly swung open, and a butler stood in the doorway. "May I help you, madame?" he asked politely.

I smiled, appreciating his manners, especially when I was so nervous. "Sorry to bother you, but may I speak to Gold Digger?" I asked as politely as i could.

He raised a carefully groomed eyebrow. "Do you have an appointment?" he asked, studying me closely.

I froze as my anxiety went up another notch. "Um-well....no, but I need to speak to her! My name is Morning Meir and-

A very pretty, yet very snobby sounding voice cut me off.

"Who is it Poncy?" it asked.

Poncy turned his head slightly to speak to the voice. "A miss Morning Meir, young mistress. She claims to be needing to speak to you."

To my surprise, Poncy was suddenly pushed briskly to the side, and I was now standing face to face with Gold Digger, herself.

Although she was beautiful, she had her eyes slightly narrowed as she studied me. She knew who I was, and that the Grand Master wanted me dead.

But she didn't know I knew that.

Suddenly her eyes lit up. "Oh! The famous Morning Meir of Equestria! How lovely to meet "The Smartest Pony In The World", at my very own doorstep!" she exclaimed with enthusiasm. She suddenly threw her arms around my neck , pulling me against her in a tight embrace before stepping back and giving me a warm searching smile.

It wasn't the greeting I'd been expecting.

On the way here, I had gone through an arduous, hour-long plan in my head about what I should expect upon reaching the villa. Being patted down by guards, standing in endless lines, and waiting in antechamber after antechamber just to get a short five minute audience with Gold Digger.

Gold Digger, however, was apparently less formal than all that.

Her eyes were a vivid, haunting blue, lined with kohl and shadowed with gold, and they and a kindness behind them that took me by great surprise. Yet as I looked into them I saw greed unlike any I'd ever seen, reflect back at me from them. Her mane was woven of gold and layered in several elegant patterns that came down behind her head and one large swirl that hung over the front of her head, arched just slightly to the left, putting emphasis on her seemingly flawless face. The elegant pink robe she wore, matched her dark pink coat and had several jewels woven into the silky fabric, along with a fluffy white fur trim that bordered the sleeves and neck area.

"I can't believe I'm finally meeting you," she said. "I was so excited when I heard you were in town for that Intelligence thingy or whatever."

"Oh, well thank you, but I just needed to-

"You simply must come in!"

"Huh??"

Almost without warning, Gold Digger suddenly pulled me hard by my hooves into the entry way. I would've no doubt asked why she had done that, but I stopped thinking completely as I saw the extravagance of the manor I now stood in.

I saw my reflection gaping at me from the gleaming gold floor, as I looked around. The main hall of the villa was magnificent, but there was a surprising coziness to it too. The walls were lined with deep maroon wallpaper speckled with flecks of gold, and the lounge we stood in had several plush velvet couches overflowing with throw pillows. Freshly polished ornate end tables stood with carved oak chairs upholstered with soft leather. From the golden diamond-shaped tiles on the floor, to the crystal chandeliers, to the lush exotic looking plants sprouting brilliantly at several corners of the room, it felt luxurious and elegant, but warm and welcoming as well.

"What do you think?" Gold Digger asked with a sly grin. She clearly already knew I was blown away by it all. It almost felt like she wanted me to be impressed.

"It's very nice," I said, as if I saw beautiful, grand things all the time and this was just another one of them. "You must certainly do well for yourself."

"Yes, well, I suppose it's to be expected for the wealthy to live in absolute luxury." she said with a painfully snobbish undertone that seemed to bite my ears at every word.

"Anyway, what is it I can do for you, Ms. Meir? Surely you didn't come all this way just to admire my house." She said jokingly. "Of course, if that is why you're here, well, I can clearly understand why." she added snobbishly.

I thought for a moment. I had planned this out as well on the way over. I only hoped she would take it. "I was hoping to ask you about the Regal murder case. The inspector said you recently had some investments in the Regal family's affairs. Since I'm helping out with it, I thought you wouldn't mind if I came to ask you a few questions." I said as politely and calmly as I could.

She paused for a moment. "Is that so?" she stated with fake surprise. She didn't hide the fact that she knew about the murder all that well at all. I saw her eyes flash as she faked a worried look. "Well, by all means! I'll of course do everything I can to help find who did this to one of my closest friends!" She exclaimed.

"Closest friends, my flank." I thought bitterly.

Gold Digger's Tea Room, 12:31 pm

I sat in a squashy armchair as Poncy poured me a glass of lemon and ginger tea from a fine china teapot, and set it down elegantly in front of me. He did the same for Gold Digger, then left the room with a courteous bow. The tea room was a small, yet cozy little place with a lush couch, coffee table, several tables and chairs for sitting and enjoying tea, and a large sun roof that allowed light to pour into the room, as well as through the windows. It was all quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Gold Digger held out a small pot with several sugar cubes in it. "Do you take sugar with your tea?" she asked politely.

To be honest I never drank tea without sugar in it. But I wasn't too keen on taking sugar from a pony who was supposed to be my enemy.
I know it sounds paranoid, but I didn't want to take any chances on her poisoning me, to get in the good graces of The Grand Master.

"No thanks." I said, politely waving the pot away. She smiled and added sugar to her own tea before setting it back on the table and taking a sip. (Good. At least now, I know she wasn't trying to poison me.)

I took a drink of my own tea. It was very good, not too hot and the tangs of lemon and ginger mixed perfectly. I didn't even think it needed sugar.

As we set our cups back down, Gold Digger looked across the table at me. "So," she said. "What is it you want to know Ms. Morning Meir?"

Questioning (Gold Digger, Owner and President of Gold Group, Subordinate of The Organization, 12:32pm)

This wasn't going to be like my other questioning sessions. This time I knew that the pony I was talking to was guilty of something. Gold Digger was conspiring with The Organization. I had seen her with my own eyes, as she talked about how her group had seized control of the holdings that Marquis had once owned. She was working with them. But why? I needed to get some answers from her. I just had to make sure not to ask more than I should logically know.

I thought for a moment then asked my first question: "What sort of business arrangements did you have with Mr. Regal?"

"Well, I had made some arrangements to invest in several media outlets that Regal Enterprises owned. He was very generous about all of it." Gold Digger spoke in a manner like she was being interviewed for a magazine, rather than being questioned on behalf of a murder case.

I ignored her, as it was more important to get information at this time, but I made yet another notch on Ms. Digger's Snob Rating within my mind. "Did you ever speak with Mr.Regal directly?"

Gold Digger took another sip of her tea. "Only once. He was quite generous, but his wife was quite a shrewd one. I suppose she was jealous of me. Thought I was there to steal her man. Ha! As if I would ever consort with an aging bureaucrat." She said shrewdly.

I wasn't any closer to getting information about the organization. She kept making the conversation all about her(Which I of course expected.) So I decided to change my questioning to a way that would make her talk about The Organization. Or at least one of its former members.

"Did you by any chance know one Mr. Marquis? It was found out that Mr. Regal had business dealings with him in the past. I thought I might as well ask you if you and Mr. Regal ever talked about him?" I asked, putting every attempt to make it a simple, nonchalant question like any other.

Gold Digger looked at me, her eyes flashing once more. Something had clicked in her brain, that she had to lie. She couldn't risk exposing The Organization. Especially not to me. She said nothing for a moment, then quickly answered: "No. I had never done business with the stallion myself, but I know Augustus and him knew each other for a long time. Old rivals I suppose." she said with a faint height in her words.

As if to test me, she asked the question I knew she would. "You don't think he had anything to do with this do you, Ms. Meir? I heard what had happened at the hospital with him. Being so sick and helpless, he couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it, right?" she asked as if she was interrogating me. But I had planned this out already, and she wasn't going to get the best of me yet. She knew who I was. What I was doing. So she was taking this opportunity to try and get some answers from me. But unlike her, I had nothing to hide.

"It would certainly make sense for this to all be the result of an old rivalry. But I'm sure the police have already worked that problem out." I said simply.

Gold Digger looked skeptical. "Perhaps your right. Best to leave these things to your betters, I suppose."

I would've laughed at that remark. If anything, I was the police's betters. At least in this case. Nonetheless I nodded and asked my next question. Something that I was sure Gold Digger would love to talk hours upon hours about: "Do you mind if I ask you about yourself? Like your company for example?"

At once all trace of suspicion and callous vanished from Gold Digger's person, as she smiled like she had just won a fabulous prize in a beauty pageant. "Oh, of course! I would be delighted to tell you the story of how yours truly became the wealthiest and most powerful mare in Europa."she exclaimed with great enthusiasm.

I, of course, ignored the long and rambling speech that took place at this point, not necessarily caring how Gold Digger managed to become the most snobbish pony I'd ever met. Instead, while she spoke at great length about how life was so hard for a poor filly with barely a bit to her name, I put my brain to work on what I could ask her next. It was time to stop messing around and get what I came for. Gold Digger was a conspirator with The Organization, that much was already known. But there was so many pieces in play that I couldn't see. What reasons did these ponies have to be working with The Organization? Why was Maregold apart of it, and how long had he been working for them? And last, just who in Equestria was The Grand Master? Why were they doing all of this? I had to have an answer.

It was then that the question I needed to ask, burst from my brain, and out my mouth. "Who are the Hashashin?" I asked suddenly, stopping Gold Digger in mid sentence.

She blinked. "Excuse me?"

"The Hashashin. Mr. Regal had received numerous letters talking about them. Who are they?" I asked again, more sternly this time.

Gold Digger's entire face changed. Her cheerful expression dropped like a rock, her eyes flared up like fire. She had narrowed her eyes almost to slits as she stared at me menacingly. "I don't think I should answer that, Ms. Meir." she said gravely. This was a warning. Not to dare ask that question again.

Unfortunately, I hadn't come all this way for nothing. "Why is that, Ms. Digger?"

Her scowl curled into a strange smile. "Because, we never sent Regal any letters with the name Hashashin. They're elite assassins. We'd never actually put the name into the letter. They're supposed to be a secret, you see."

I leaned back in the chair. " Oh, I already knew that Ms. Digger."

"Then why would you lie about finding letters with their name in them?"

I smiled. "To get you to talk about them."

I took a sip of tea. "And you just told me who they are: Elite Assassins."

Gold Digger sat back in her chair. Then she laughed, but not sarcastically. She seemed genuinely impressed . "Well done, Ms. Meir. You truly are The Smartest Pony In The World." She complimented.

Then I saw her eyes shift over to the window, as she kept that strange smile. "But not smart enough to see a trap."

At those words, I turned all my attention to the window. Down in the gardens I saw Poncy, trimming the hedges, his horn telekinectically moving the shears along each bush.

Once I noticed it, my blood ran cold: The Poncy that had answered the door had been an earth pony.

Gold Digger looked out the window and waved to Poncy, whom waved back. "The Hashashin are very good at what they do. Poor Poncy's been out there all day, just so we could have that Hashashin pretend to be him, while we lured you in."

I was speechless. I was going to kick myself later for not noticing the trap earlier. If I survived, that is.

Gold Digger was very much enjoying my mix of confusion and shock. She giggled as I stood there, opened mouthed at my own stupidity. I heard the door close behind us, and as I turned around, "Not Poncy" was now standing near the door, smiling at me with kind eyes. But it was false kindness. For these eyes, had nothing in them at all. They were the eyes of a killer.

Suddenly Gold Digger put her hooves up to him. "Hey, hold on. We don't have to kill her just yet. I think she might actually be able to-

He took a step towards me. Then, like a flash of lightning, he moved in for the kill. My hooves had already moved of their own accord, but they hadn't needed to: He hadn't been coming after me.

I was in utter disbelief as I saw him pin Gold Digger to the wall by her throat. "I don't take orders from you, mare. I still haven't decided if I should kill you for pushing me out of the way earlier." His voice had dropped all trace of manner and politeness of a butler, replaced by a low, sinister growl.

I tried to get my hooves to move, but my brain was firing neurons left and right. Why in the world was he attacking Gold Digger? I asked myself.

Then it suddenly clicked in my brain what was happening. He wasn't letting her go. I saw her face begin to turn blue, as she struggled to release the killer's hoof from her windpipe. But she could only grasp at air, as tears began to well up in her eyes.

He was going to kill her. For no other reason than because she had asked him NOT to kill me. Both as a doctor and as a decent equestrian, I was not going to let that happen.

"Hey! I'm the one you're here for! Let her go. She has nothing to do with this." I yelled, much braver than I thought I could manage.

But the killer didn't relent. Instead he laughed. A cruel chortle from a villain. "Oh well....we can just say it was an accident. She got too intoxicated by her luxurious lifestyle and fell out the window. Drowned at sea. Tragic, really. Don't worry pumpkin, I'll get to you here soon. But thanks for asking!" He said as casually as if I'd asked him if he wanted to go take a walk in the park. This stallion was a monster.

I narrowed my eyes at him, as he turned back and continued to strangle Gold Digger. "I wasn't asking." I said menacingly.

By the time I knew what I had done,I had already done it. I leapt onto the stallions back, tucked my hooves under his then flipped him over me, using my momentum with his own, countered by that of the floor, I managed to suplex him hard into the ground.

I heard Gold Digger take a massive breath of air, as she started coughing and sputtering, trying to regain her composure. I looked over to see if she was alright. She looked up at me, with her eyes now slightly bloodshot and welled with tears. She didn't seem to know how to react. I turned back to face my opponent.

I had readied myself for a fight I was probably not going to win. But I didn't care. All my brain power had been directed to one course of action: Kicking this guy's flank.

Not Poncy got up off the ground and wiped a fleck of blood from his lip. "Heh. All right then....

"You're first."

He moved like a flash, as he kicked a large table across the floor which nearly smashed into my stomach, but I leapt over it just in time, only to be drop kicked hard out of nowhere.

I hit the far bookcase with a loud smash, as books fell all around me. I struggled to breathe, as my vision blurred. Pain was shooting all over my body, but I stood back up anyway. Even with my vision blurred I still saw the kick aimed for my head.

I ducked under it, and caught him by his other leg. I pushed with all my strength sending him over the top of the table. I breathed heavily as I tried to keep myself from falling over. But he was already up, and slammed hard into my side with his body, sending me into the wall. I barely managed to stay up as everything had become a blur. Pain was the only thing I could feel right now.

This was no easy fight. I was fighting a highly skilled and ruthless assassin. If I was to survive, I couldn't just think my way out of this, or use normal fighting tactics: It was time to be creative.

At once, time seemed to move in slow motion as my brain worked like a supercomputer. Details all flew at me, syncing up with each thought like a piece of a large puzzle. My breathing slowed as everything came into focus.

Combat Analysis

My opponent: A highly dangerous and skilled killer of The Hashashin. Strengths: Extremely quick movement speed, Superior and brutal fighting style, Ruthlessness.

My eyes scanned every inch of him, mapping out different points that stood out the most to me. Weaknesses: Overconfident, Egotistical, Recklessness, Ruthlessness. My eyes zeroed in on the injury on his left leg. A large gnarled scar that had been cut by a serrated weapon of some kind. A sword possibly, judging by the angle and depth of the cut. It had also been recent, as the tissue had yet to fully form over. This meant it was still sore. This was his weak-point.

I moved like clockwork, every action already programmed into my body to react accordingly. I reached behind me, grabbed the vase and threw it hard at the assassin's face. I heard it smash into his head, as I slid across the floor and delivered a hard kick to the injury on his leg.

The assassin screamed in pain, and dropped halfway to the floor, before getting back up and throwing a wild hay-maker at me. But I dodged it as I grabbed the front of his arm, spun it around, then broke it on the edge of the table. Before he could even yell out, I delivered a hard kick to his diaphragm. He toppled over and smashed through the table, sending chunks of mahogany across the floor.

He got back to his feet, as his eyes now fumed at me. He screamed in anger as he rushed towards me, but his injury had taken its toll, and as he was much slower, it made it easy for me to spin around him then break his left leg from the back. With two broken limbs, he was unable to fight now, no matter how skilled he was.

He fell hard to the floor, howling in pain as time now returned to its normal pace. Final Analysis: One broken arm, one broken leg, severe hemorrhaging in the left leg due to injury, physical trauma to diaphragm, Possible injury to eyes and face from glass shards. Recovery period: 6 weeks at best, with possible extension due to elongated injury. Capacity to continue fighting: Neutralized.

End Of Analysis

The assassin laid there in a heap on the floor before he finally passed out from the pain in his leg. As a doctor I had sworn to do no harm, but this stallion had to have been an exception to that oath. If I hadn't decided he was, It was more than likely that neither me or Gold Digger would have lived to tell about it.

I turned around to see Gold Digger staring at me from the ground where she still lay with wide eyes, her mouth gaped in shock as she looked at me with utter and complete bewilderment.

I smiled at her. "So...can we talk for real now?" I asked sincerely.

She didn't answer me. But her eyes seemed to agree.