• Published 15th Jan 2017
  • 626 Views, 4 Comments

Shadows in the night - ScytheSasin



In light of the recent magical anomalies in the human world, Princess Celestia decides to send a pony over in order to protect Equestria and the students of Canterlot High.

  • ...
 4
 626

Book 1: Chapter 1: Through the mirror.

Twilight and Luna were reading together in the library when Sunset’s message came through. Twilight picks up the book with a flash of purple aura. Luna moves over to read over the lavender Alicorn’s shoulder.

“Dear Twilight,

How ironic! We were just discussing that some possibility here. The girls were actually freaking out about it when we got your message. We’ll meet you at the portal. See you soon!

Your Friend.

Sunset Shimmer”

Twilight smiles and she nods to Luna. Luna gives a very un-princess like grin.

“Shall I wake him?” Luna says, with a mischievous undertone in her voice. Twilight sighs but nods. Luna’s smirk doesn’t leave her face and she enters the room Shade is sleeping in. Taking a seat right next to him, the Princess of the Night lowers her head next to his ear. “WAKE UP!” The castle itself shakes under the volume of Luna’s Royal Canterlot Voice. Shade shoots up, a hidden blade on his hoof springing out has he hovers near the ceiling, looking for a threat. Luna bursts out laughing as Twilight hits the floor. Shade signs as his blade retracts back into the gauntlet.

“Princess, if you did that to any other recruit they'd either have stabbed you or wet themselves.” Shade says, landing back on the couch. It takes a few more minutes for both Twilight and Luna to calm down.

“I’m sorry, it was just too easy.” Luna says, wiping a tear from her eye. Shade sighs.

“Shade, Sunset replied, we can head through the portal now.” Twilight says. Shade nods, standing up and following Twilight. “Luna, please go get Princess Celestia please.” Luna nods and goes down a separate hallway. Twilight leads Shade through the halls in silence, until she couldn’t take it anymore. “So, you nervous for the mission?” Shade looks up at her.

“Not really.” Shade says. “But then, I’m trained to say I’m not nervous. In reality I’m terrified.” Shade stops by a window and stares out at Ponyville. “I don’t do well in social situations. I’m jumpy, and draw my blade at the littlest shadows of the night. I won’t do well socially in that world, but I damn will be sure I’ll protect it.” Twilight looks back at Shade and smiles.

“Well said Shade Bladedancer.” Celestia’s voice rings. Twilight and Shade turn to the Princess of the Sun. Shade bows, but Celestia waves it off. “I assume you’re ready?” Shade nods.

“I got my weapons in my bag and my hidden blades. Money and food will be useless so I’ll figure that out later.” Shade says. “My bow is in its case and a pack full of arrows. I’m set Princess.” Celestia smiles.

“We will accompany you until you are acquainted with Sunset Shimmer and her friends.” Celestia says.

“Um… Princess Celestia.” Twilight starts. “Sunset still is somewhat afraid to face you.”

“I know Twilight, but I wish to see her face to face, I need to personally alleviate her fears.” Celestia says. Twilight nods. The four enter the room containing the mirror. “Twilight if you’d please?” Twilight puts the book on the pedestal and the machine starts up.

“We’re good to go!” Twilight shouts. “Just go on in Shade! We will be right behind you!” Shade nods and walks towards the portal, but trips on the frame and stumbles through.

“Ah SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIII…” Shade’s voice is cut off as flies through the mirror. The three Princesses blink comically.

“Okay then.” Twilight says.

In the human world

Sunset and her friends were lounging around the portal. They’ve been there for a couple minutes and the seven were playing a card game known as Exploding Kittens.

“Rainbow! I ATTACK YOU!” Pinkie Pie shouts, putting down the Targeted Attack card in the discard pile. “TAKE TWO TURNS!”

“DAMN IT PINKIE!” Rainbow shouts, eyeing the upturned imploding kitten card on the top of the deck. “I’m out, game over for me.” Pinkie crackles madly as Rainbow fumes. The rest of the girls burst out laughing. Sunset notices the statue base start shimmering.

“IIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT!” A voice shouts, fling out of the portal and crashing onto the ground. Sunset’s group puts the game on hold as they eye the newcomer. He was tall, a good six foot. His skin was a faded forest green and his hair was a dark gray. He was wearing a black t-shirt with a metallic silver sword and scythe in a crossed shape, green cargo pants and black combat boots. He had a black bookbag in the same pattern as his shirt. The male sits up and rubs his head. “I should’ve watched my hooves.” His eyes open to reveal a dull emerald. “Hello. Sunset Shimmer and company I presume?” Sunset nods as the portal lights up and Princess Twilight steps through, along with two others crashing in the same manner as the boy.

“Twilight!” Sunset says, hugging the princess.

“This is gonna be weird.” Sci-Twi groans, much to the laughter of every coherent person around. Princess Twilight giggles as she goes and helps up Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. Sunset gulps as she sees Celestia. The Princess of the Sun looks around a bit before her eyes look onto Sunset’s. Celestia’s face was unreadable as she strides up to her former student

"Sunset Shimmer.” Celestia says. Sunset was effectively sweating bullets. Suddenly Celestia pulls her into a hug. “It’s good to see that you’re doing alright.” Tears leak from Sunset’s eyes as she returns the hug.

“It’s good to see you too Princess.” Sunset says. The two share the moment before Luna clears her voice, the two look over to her as Luna gestures towards Shade, who has a faceful of Pinkie Pie as she stares intently into his eyes.

“YOU’RE NOT HAPPY!” Pinkie suddenly shouts, startling Shade.

“I’m….. sorry?” Shade says.

“You’re not happy enough, so Imma throw you a party tonight!” Pinkie says, pulling out a notebook and writing in it. Blade sweatdrops.

“Ehehe.” Princess Twilight chuckles. “Twilight, I’m going to call you Sci-Twi for this meeting, alright?” Sci-Twi nods. “Girls, this is Shade Bladedancer, Shade, this is Sunset Shimmer, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Sci-Twi.” Shade nods to them as he stands.

“Hello. It’s a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I hope to at least get on good terms with you all.” Shade says. The girls give a chorus or replies. Sunset smiles at him and pats his shoulder.

“Girls, this also is Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna.” Princess Twilight says, and everyone repeats the action.

“Well, I see Shade has acquainted himself we must return.” Princess Twilight nods. Hugging her friends and Sci-Twi, she pats Shade’s shoulder and returns with Luna. Celestia gives Sunset another hug.

“I must go, Sunset, don’t be a stranger, and look after Shade for me.” Celestia says. Sunset nods. “Shade, keep them all safe.”

“It’s my job Ma’am, I won’t let you down.” Shade says. Celestia smiles, before walking through the portal. An awkward silence echoes in the area.

“Sooo.” Sunset starts. “Shade, you wanna learn how to play Exploding Kittens?” Shade looks to her like she’s crazy as she smirks. “It’s a card game, I’ll tell you about it while we finish our current game before we deal you in.” The now group of eight return to the blanket as the girls continue their card game. Shade taking a seat next to Sunset to learn the rules of the game.

Author's Note:

Okay, so this is a slow start, I gotta few more chapters of setting everything up before I get into what I do best, fighting scenes. I don't own Exploding Kittens.