• Published 18th Jan 2017
  • 1,105 Views, 61 Comments

On Swift Wings - Jade Ring



As Ponyville struggles to rebuild after the Changeling invasion, possible new allies arrive in the form of the last of the ancient pegasus tribes. But are their intentions as pure as they say?

  • ...
1
 61
 1,105

The Rest of the Story

Applejack is overseeing the work being done by the Appleloosan delegation and the Wonderbolts when she’s accosted by Sour Grapes, local busybody. She complains that Applejack hasn’t started the process of finding a new school-teacher, and Applejack admits that it’s difficult considering the replacement for somepony as beloved as Cheerilee. Sour’s main concern is her son, Galloper, and her fears that the prolonged lack of schooling is stifling his intellectual growth. Applejack disagrees, remarking about Galloper’s proclivity at new inventions and his insistence at being called “Gadget” instead of his given name.

The two’s conversation is interrupted by the arrival of Diamond Tiara delivering her monthly donation to the Ponyville Relief Fund. Sour makes a snide remark concerning her father’s actions during the invasion, and Diamond storms off. Applejack follows her and tells her to ignore Sour, but Diamond claims that all she hears about anymore is her family’s culpability in the invasion. She insists that everypony hates her, even Applejack. Applejack admits that she does hate her father for selling out the town, but she knows that Diamond had nothing to do with it.

A commotion in town square draws the two mares and they see the arrival of the Children of the Hurricane. Applejack meets Cross Wind again and asks how Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are doing. Before Cross Wind can answer, she’s interrupted by her superior officer; General Lightning Dust. Applejack recognizes Lightning Dust from the Wonderbolts Academy, as does Spitfire. The two question how she came to be with the Children of the Hurricane, but she just brushes them off and starts ordering her pegasi to start working. Spitfire demands an explanation from Applejack who gives her a brief summation of events. Spitfire isn’t sure about things and dispatches Fleetfoot to Canterlot to seek reinforcements and further orders.

Lightning Dust orders forces to begin work on harvesting trees from the Everfree Forest to build a protective blockade around the town perimeter. When Applejack questions her, Lightning Dust claims that a large pack of timberwolves is massing and heading towards the town, drawn by their weakened state. She claims that the Children of the Hurricane can better protect the town if aided by a barricade. She assures Applejack that they are here to help. The townsponies, terrified at another attack, ultimately convince Applejack to allow the plan to move forward.

At the Ponyville Inn, Crescendo and Braeburn are toasting their sorrows and their respective romantic issues… though each refuses to name the one they’re having issues with. Mutual despair turns to convincing the other to face their problems head on, and the pair (loaded with liquid courage) set out to set things right.

Rarity has a nightmare where she is forced to watch Spike die once again. This time, he lives long enough to tell her that this is all her fault… just before he melts into the laughing form of Carapace. Rarity awakens with a scream.

Her scream startles an approaching Crescendo, his newfound courage collapses under images of Rarity rejecting him, and he runs away instead.

Fleetfoot is ambushed on the way to Canterlot by one of the Children of the Hurricane. The metal on the gauntlets worn by the pegasi is revealed to be a talon-like weapon, and Fleetfoot’s throat is cut before she can escape.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In Zeph, Dash dines with Valeria and Fluttershy. Valeria is proud of Dash's tales of her flying prowess and tells her how she will be a great Queen-General. Dash is at first thrilled at the idea, but hesitates when she remembers Applejack. Valeria presses the issue and is at first thrilled that her daughter has found a significant other. That warmth turns icy when she hears that her daughter is engaged to marry an earth pony. Fluttershy admits that she is also married to an earth pony and even has a daughter with him. Things suddenly become tense and Fluttershy excuses herself. Once she’s gone, Valeria somberly hints that Rainbow Dash may have to decide between what she wants and who she is destined to be.

Fluttershy finds her way down to the cells and finds the Untouchable they met earlier locked up. She also finds an unexpected surprise; Scootaloo. Before Scootaloo can warn her, she's captured by Cumulus and put in the cell with the others. Scootaloo tells Fluttershy how she was caught and that they’re in great danger.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Celestia, Luna, and Golden Haze arrive at the Crystal Empire and are met at the station by Equestria’s ambassador; Sunburst. He welcomes them but regretfully informs them that Luna has been formally forbidden from the Empire as a whole and must return to Equestria at once. Celestia is insulted, but Luna concedes and departs.

Celestia and Haze travel to the castle to meet with Cadance. The two alicorns take a walk and discuss possible reconciliation. When it’s clear that Cadance is still resolutely against the idea, but not showing any signs of potential corruption, Celestia decides not to press the matter. She requests and receives permission to visit the ruins of Tambelon. Celestia and Haze make to leave to spend the night in the Equestrian Embassy, but Cadence insists that they stay at the castle. She tells them that Flash Sentry’s quarters have been empty as of late, hinting that he’s been sharing her own bed.

Celestia and Haze are led to their quarters by an elderly maid named Amber. While the two settle in, they discuss Cadance’s mind-set and if her taking Sentry as a lover is part of her grieving process. Haze humorously brings up the alicorn’s apparent affinity for their captains.

On the train, Luna is reading when she is attacked by the Emissary of Shadows. The two’s battle causes the train to derail and it crashes into the snowy wastes. The Emissary vanishes and Luna is knocked unconscious by the impact.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Back in Ponyville, Lyra and Applejack discuss the Children of the Hurricane. Lyra admits that she's received unsubstantiated reports of violence and prejudice against Earth ponies by so their new so-called allies. Applejack, troubled, goes to find Lightning Dust.

Gadget is tinkering with his friend Dinky Hooves. Derpy, observing, ruminates on Dinky's foalhood love of playing ‘Alicorn,’ where the filly would ride on Derpy's back. Gadget finds Lightning Dust etching strange runes into the pillars of the fort. When the runes start to glow, he runs for the mayor.

Applejack is being assuaged by Cross Wind when she sees that Mac has brought the kids into town, saying her received a message for a town meeting. Gadget reaches her and tells her about the runes. Too late, Applejack realizes what's happening. Cross Wind locks a magic nullifying collar around her neck as Lightning Dust creates a shield over Ponyville that only Children of the Hurricane can pass through. The Children of the Hurricane seize the town and subjugate the Earth ponies. Unicorns are forced to wear magic nullifying rings. They seize Cloudsdale and move it directly over the town. Lightning Dust declares that acts of rebellion, especially from the local pegasi, will lead to a cataclysmic storm.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Valeria sets out for Ponyville to “check out their progress” and takes Cumulus as her escort. She instructs Dash to remain and watch over the city in her stead. Once they’re gone, Dash wanders Zeph and continues to be amazed. She considers the possibility that it all could be hers one day, but she thinks of Applejack and what it would cost her. Lost in thought, she finds her way to the cells and finds Fluttershy, Scootaloo, and the Untouchable. She frees them and demands answers. Scootaloo explains her capture, but Dash is incredulous. The Untouchable starts talking, and Scootaloo is able to translate as she’s been studying ancient pegasi in her spare time.

The Untouchable’s name is Gentle Breeze, and she tells them the sad tale of General Storm Rider.

In the not too distant past, the Children of the Hurricane were as prosperous and happy as they could hope to be. They were content to let the winds carry their city where they would, happy to be left alone to keep to the old ways. They maintained friendly trading relationships with some outlying pony communities and wanted for very little. Their beloved leader was the brash and brilliant General Storm Rider, a benevolent ruler and a brilliant, daredevil flyer. Rider was urged by his advisors to take a wife to continue his line, and he held a series of contests to determine who would join him on the throne.

The winner was the cunning and beautiful Valeria, she of rainbow mane and endless ambition.

Not long after the wedding, a chance encounter with a powerful rogue storm nearly destroyed Zeph. Storm Rider and Valeria led the charge to dispel the storm, and in the chaos and confusion Rider was struck by lightning. A shell of his former self, Rider was hidden from the public and his duties assumed by his new queen. Valeria named herself Queen-General and immediately began changing things.

Valeria held the other races in contempt, believing pegasi superior to all others. Her views led to the severing of their trade relationships which in turn led to a food shortage. To quell potential rebellion and keep stores reasonable, Valeria reinstituted the ancient tradition of casting off newborns that were found to be weak.

Gentle Breeze and her husband, Whispering Wind, were horrified by the new policy, particularly since their newborn daughter was undersized and was at risk at being cast off. They joined a small gathering of like-minded ponies in finding ways to subvert it. The winds drew Zeph close to the city of Cloudsdale once every year or so, and they found their answer in the Cloudsdale Home for Wayward Pegasi. As they prepared to move their “little butterfly” and another filly (this one with badly crossed eyes) to the Home in the midst of a storm, they received an unexpected visitor; one of Storm Rider’s personal guard.

He brought them a newborn filly, one with a mane of rainbow like Valeria’s own.

Valeria was aware of an ancient pegasi proverb that claimed that two rainbows would mark the end of the Children of the Hurricane. When her daughter was born with the same color mane as she had, she took it as a sign and ordered the filly to be cast off. As luck would have it, the guard assigned to the task of killing the child was one of Breeze’s compatriots.

The three fillies were successfully delivered to the Home, but the escorts were attacked by Valeria’s soldiers upon their return. Whispering Wind sacrificed himself to allow the others to escape, their identities hidden beneath masks. For years, Gentle Breeze tried to learn the fate of her husband, but never saw or heard of him again.

Years later, Breeze was visited by a hooded and cloaked stallion under cover of night. He revealed himself as Storm Rider, left crippled by the lightning strike and hidden away by his wife as a source of shame. The two became friends and, in time, lovers, but their relationship was discovered by one of Valeria’s guards. Enraged, Valeria murdered Storm Rider and accused Breeze of the crime. Instead of killing her, Valeria declared her Untouchable.

Her union with Storm Rider left Breeze with a foal, one she knew would be in danger should Valeria ever find out about her. Breeze gave the filly the intentionally ridiculous name of ‘Uhanet Na Zachod’ and spirited her away to Cloudsdale as soon as she was able.

With Breeze’s story finished, Dash, Fluttershy, and Scootaloo come to terms with the confirmed fact that they’re all biological sisters. Dash is shaken by what a monster her birth mother is, and Fluttershy asks Breeze what Valeria’s plans for Ponyville are.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Back in Ponyville, the Children of the Hurricane have swiftly seized control. The earth ponies are used as manual labor, marched to and from the orchards to harvest apples. The unicorns are used for work around the town. The pegasi of Ponyville are allowed free reign of the town, the constant looming threat of Cloudsdale keeping them from any open acts of rebellion.

Valeria arrives and praises Lightning Dust for her speed in enacting their plans. Applejack has a moment of fear when she sees Valeria’s mane, afraid that Dash has betrayed them. Once she sees how much older Valeria is, she storms over and confronts her. Valeria is amused by the earth pony’s tenacity and asks who she is. Upon hearing Applejack’s name (and connecting it to the mare Dash said she was engaged to) Valeria coldly informs the mayor that Rainbow Dash has chosen the Children of the Hurricane and has remained in Zeph to rule in Valeria’s stead.

Refusing to believe the Queen General, Applejack demands to know why she’s doing what she’s doing. Valeria proclaims that they will use Ponyville as an example to the rest of Equestria as to how all things should be; with pegasi over all. She brutally tears out Applejack’s engagement earring and tells her to get back to work.

Cross Wind sees how miserable everyone is becoming and begins to have second thoughts.

Meanwhile, back in Zeph, Dash is horrified when Gentle Breeze finishes explaining Valeria’s plans. The four mares take advantage of the fact that Valeria has taken most of the military to Ponyville and successfully escape.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Back in the Crystal Empire, Celestia and Golden Haze investigate the ruins of Tambelon and the great lake. Celestia tests it and discovers that it’s only water now, meaning that somepony has drained the magic from it already. Haze finds a secret passageway nearby and the two mares follow it down to a series of underground labs. They discover a very ill and clearly tortured Starswirl. On their way out with the old wizard, they are accosted by the maid Amber once again. She attacks Celestia with surprisingly strong magic and hints that they’ve met before. Something about the old mare’s voice rings a bell in Celestia’s mind, but she opts to escape before she can make a connection.

While flying back to Canterlot, Haze worries about what this might mean for reconciliation. Celestia’s thoughts are interrupted when they find the destroyed remains of the train. They follow hoof-prints to a nearby cave where Luna and the conductor are being tended to by a strange new mare.

She introduces herself as Starlight Glimmer.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lightning Dust reports to Valeria that some of the cross-tribe couples of the village are still attempting to see one another. To make an example, Valeria calls the townsponies together for a demonstration. She presents Braeburn to them, revealing that he has been consorting with a pegasus. She declares that she will make an example of him and orders Lightning Dust to drop him from a great height.

As he falls towards his death, Braeburn cries out that he loves Soarin. Unable to see him die, Soarin leaves Spitfire’s side to rescue him. The two stallions flee into the changeling tunnels. A furious Valeria decrees that if the two are not presented to her by dawn the next day, Ponyville will be destroyed. Spitfire, stunned by these developments and her fiancé’s betrayal, retreats to the village’s boundary to wait for aid that she knows surely must be coming.

As night falls on Ponyville, Crescendo finally goes to Carousel Boutique. He finds Rarity in her room and tearfully confesses that he feels responsible for Spike’s death. He pours his heart out, finally admitting to himself that he still has feelings for her and he feels guilty that he is still around and Spike isn’t. Rarity comforts him, telling him that it isn’t his fault, but hers. Crescendo refutes her and, in the heat of the moment, kisses her. After some initial shock, Rarity reciprocates. Crescendo gets a hold of himself and tries to leave, but Rarity convinces him to stay. The two unicorns save each other by making love.

Meanwhile, Applejack and Lyra bring together earth pony and unicorn delegations willing to fight the occupation. Pegasi are spotted, and they fear they’ve been discovered, but it turns out to be a returning Dash, Fluttershy, and Scootaloo with Gentle Breeze in tow. Remembering Valeria’s words, Applejack is briefly suspicious of Dash’s loyalties, but embraces her at once when she sees that the mare still has her engagement earring. After a tearful reunion with their families and friends, Fluttershy and Dash tell everyone what they know. Everyone agrees that the barrier has to be broken, but no one is sure how.

Gadget steps forward (against his mother’s wishes) and tells them about his latest invention; a highly combustible black powder. A plan is hatched to plant a keg of powder at the base of one of the pillars and bring it down, thus breaking the circle and collapsing the barricade.

The plan is put into motion the next day. Despite several close calls, the barrels are placed and Lyra manages to ignite them thanks to a last minute assist by Diamond Tiara. The pillar is destroyed and the barricade collapses. A number of the Children of the Hurricane are injured in the blast. Furious, Valeria orders Lightning Dust to overload the machine. The ponies of Ponyville finally rebel against their captors while Scootaloo chases Dust.

Rainbow Dash starts to join the fray, but sees her mother and finds she cannot. She instead follows Scootaloo in her pursuit of Dust.

Spitfire goes to join the fight, sees Braeburn and Soarin fighting together, and flies away instead. She flies as hard as she can for Canterlot and is shocked to find no military mobilized. Veritas tells her that there’s been no message from Ponyville and the sisters are away. After another crushing blow, Spitfire questions every oath of loyalty she’s ever taken and departs.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Scootaloo finds Lightning Dust overloading the machine. She begs her to stop, but Dust refuses and says that she’d do anything for Valeria. Scootaloo appeals to her better nature, and for a moment it appears to be working. Then Dust sees Rainbow Dash and flies into a rage. She blames all her misery and heartache on the sisters, saying that they’re the reason she felt so alone all these years. She sought the Children of the Hurricane, her mother’s tribe, because Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo took her father from her.

His name was Feather Duster.

The machine overloads and Cloudsdale begins transforming into a terrible storm. Scootaloo tells Dash to go back to Ponyville and help while she takes on Lightning Dust herself.

Back on the ground, Cross Wind is having a personal crisis. She doesn’t understand why the ponies are fighting so hard against what she has always been taught is the proper way of things. She sees Cumulus knock out Macintosh and menacing Jack Jr. and Scarlet. Deciding she can take no more, she attacks her brother and saves the kids.

The fighting stops entirely as all attention is drawn to the gathering storm. Dash finally appears and rallies the town pegasi into flying together to reverse the flow of the storm, thus forcing Cloudsdale to stabilize. Every pegasus in town joins in the effort, including Fluttershy and Gentle Breeze.

In the midst of the storm, Scootaloo duels Lightning Dust. She gains the upper hoof and tries to talk her down, telling her that her father was a monster and she doesn’t have to be like him. Dust rejects the offer and continues her attack. She overshoots what is meant to be a killing blow and is struck by lightning, killing her.

On the ground, the Children of the Hurricane watch in wonder as their pegasi brethren try to save their earthbound friends and neighbors. One by one, they join in the attempt to stop the storm. Valeria tries ordering them to stop, but Applejack engages her one on one. Despite the collar nullifying her attempts at using her new powers, she manages to hold her own before being overwhelmed and nearly killed. At the last second Rarity, Crescendo, and Sweetie Belle join the fray to help against the Queen-General.

Derpy Hooves is pushed from the formation by a strong gust and is tended to by her daughter. Dinky realizes that the counter-wind isn’t strong enough and suggests a Total Dissipation Spell. Cloudsdale will be lost, but Ponyville will be saved. Recalling their games of ‘Alicorn’ when Dinky was a foal, Derpy puts her daughter on her back and flies back into the formation so Dinky can cast the spell. Just when it seems they won’t be able to complete the circle, they are joined by Cross Wind, Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo. The spell is cast and the storm is dissipated.

Ponyvillians and Children of the Hurricane celebrate together, but the celebration is cut off when Valeria pins Applejack and prepares to execute her. Rainbow Dash steps up and challenges her mother for the title of Queen-General, coached in the ancient words by Cross Wind. Valeria at first tries to refuse, but accepts lest she lose the respect of her tribe.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

High above Ponyville, the two shed all armor save for their blade gauntlets. The battle is joined, and all watch as two of the greatest fliers of all time fight towards what is almost certainly death for one of them. Dash finally manages to lure her mother into a false sense of victory before gaining the upper hoof and pinning her to a cloud. Her daughter’s blade at her throat, Valeria initially refuses to concede. She mocks Dash, confident that she won’t kill her own mother. Dash tightens her grip and names Firefly as her true mother and again demands surrender.

At last, Valeria concedes.

Dash steps away as Cross Wind proclaims her the new and rightful Queen-General… just as Valeria pounces…

“You aren’t worthy of these.”

…and uses her blades to cut Rainbow Dash’s wings off.

“Now… fly.”

Her connection to pegasi magic severed, Dash falls through the clouds. Applejack’s emotions allow her to break the collar and, using her powers, she barely manages to catch her falling fiancé.

Valeria is stunned when her tribe declares her a traitor for killing the true Queen-General. Her pleas for mercy fall on deaf ears, and Cross Wind cuts her throat.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Days later, Dash is recuperating in Ponyville hospital. She’s shattered, emotionally and physically. Despite Applejack’s best efforts, it’s Rarity who manages to get through to her, telling her that despite how bad everything feels in the moment, in time you can move on from anything… so long as you have friends by your side.

In a nearby room, Derpy Hooves is also recovering. She sees the time and isn’t surprised at all when her beloved Doctor Whooves steps through the door. He apologizes for being gone, but Derpy forgives him. He tells her how proud he is that she and Dinky weathered the storm. He promises that he’s done running and asks her to marry him. Derpy refuses, saying that she can’t marry somepony who won’t even tell her his real name.

He says she’s right, and then tells her his real name; Time Turner.

Everything clicks for Derpy and she embraces him. Dinky arrives and has Nevermore’s charm lifted from her mind, letting her remember the truth. She runs to her parents and holds them close, a family at last.

Fluttershy introduces Gentle Breeze to her family, insisting that she come live with them on the farm.

Soarin tells Braeburn that he’s resigned from the Wonderbolts, even though they offered him Spitfire’s position since no one has seen her since the barricade fell. The two head back to Appleloosa together.

Lyra and Bon Bon find Diamond Tiara packing up to leave Ponyville. She tells them that even after her actions during the occupation, ponies still look at her with suspicion. She tells them she’s leaving to find a new start.

Rarity and Crescendo tell Sweetie Belle that they’re going to try dating, much to her glee.

Rainbow Dash tries to give the title of Queen-General to Cross Wind, but she refuses. She wishes only to remain a soldier, if only to keep her brother in line. As Dash cannot fulfill her duties, she passes the title to Scootaloo instead, citing her as Storm Rider’s second daughter. The Children of the Hurricane accept her happily, and Scootaloo gets her cutie mark at long last; a warrior’s helm with a gleaming golden crown. After good-byes, she leaves with the Children of the Hurricane in the hopes of guiding them to a better tomorrow. The proverb proves true, as the two rainbows lead to a new age for the ancient tribe.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

With Starlight taking Luna and Starswirl back to Canterlot, Celestia and Haze return to Tartarus to confront Grogar. The old ram has gone mad in their absence, ranting that he wandered the pits but found no sign of the Phoenix Queen. Celestia laughs at him, telling him he just didn’t look hard enough. In his rage, Grogar unleashes the ambient magic he’s been hoarding in a spell aimed at Celestia.

Golden Haze jumps and takes the spell head on.

Furious, Celestia loses control and reveals the truth; her story about splitting the Phoenix Queen from herself was a lie. The two personalities have always shared the same body. When Celestia regained control, she reabsorbed the personality into her own, but chose to retain the Queen’s terrible power for herself should she ever have need of it.

Grogar is rapturous at seeing his beloved again… even as she burns him alive.

Celestia gets Haze to Canterlot, but the damage has been done. Grogar’s spell is deadly, and Haze will die in agony in a matter of hours. Celestia is distraught, unsure of what to do.

Luna and a dying Starswirl have a sad reunion. He explains how Amber somehow found him in the world in which he was hiding and delivered him to Cadance. He lulled them into a false sense of security by offering to work with them, but chose instead to seal the mirror so it could never be used again. He warns her that Amber is not the mare she seems and the two were planning on raising an army with creatures from other worlds, but their chance is now lost since he is no longer in their grasp. He warns her that Cadance has become something else and will stop at nothing until she gets her revenge. He also tells her Clover’s final prophecy in full;

“Once the two-faced king makes the first move,

and the soaring queen descends;

the Crystal Emperor will step forth,

and Equestria's peace will end.

At nightmare's end, a new moon ascends

the Crystal Throne will shatter,

Harmony's power, the storm's terrible shower,

Soon it all will cease to matter.

The land will burn, the seas will boil,

the skies themselves shall crumble.

The warring kings, the dying queens,

all lost in the terrible rumble

When darkness overcomes the land

That is warped by wave and fire

The Twilight of the Gods appears

And destroys the world entire.”

Finally, as the two reflect on their past relationship, he tells her that while he never loved another mare like he loved her, in the course of his travels he did become close with a fellow wandering mare and always suspected that she might have carried his foal. After meeting Starlight, he recognizes her magical signature and is sure that she is his descendant. Luna offers to take her as her student, and Starswirl agrees… so long as Luna can keep her hooves to herself this time.

After a final laugh, and a kiss, Starswirl finally dies.

Celestia and Haze take a walk in the gardens and reflect on their time together. Haze says she isn’t afraid to die, but Celestia is adamant that if she had more time, she could find a cure. Haze suggests turning her to stone until then. With no other choice, Celestia agrees. The two share a kiss, and a promise that Celestia will take care of Hope. Golden Haze stands stoically as Celestia casts the spell and seals her lover in time, promising that she will never stop searching for a cure.

Alone once again, Celestia collapses into the grass and weeps.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In the Crystal Empire, Cadance and Amber discuss the loss of Starswirl. Amber assures the Empress that there are other projects in the works. The two are interrupted by Spitfire, who kneels and swears fealty to Cadance. Cadance finally reveals her new twisted form as the Crystal Empress and the two mares bow to her.

Alone in his room, Morning Dew stares longingly at his father’s portrait.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In Ponyville, Applejack heads to the office hoping to continue reconstruction efforts. Instead she finds Rarity, Crescendo, and a number of other ponies from all across Equestria. Each share their growing irritation with Celestia’s recent inactions, both in Ponyville and beyond. One even suggests the idea that the recent droughts are possibly happening because Celestia no longer can control the sun. Everyone laughs him off, but they become serious again when discussing Applejack’s actions during the Invasion and the Occupation. They show her that all across the land, many provinces are in favor of a new leader. Applejack is hesitant, insisting that the new leader be somepony properly elected. It’s Lyra who convinces her that while that can be the end goal, at the moment the ponies need someone else to rally around; a new monarch.

With a heavy heart, Applejack accepts.

In Canterlot, a still grieving Celestia receives a message from Ponyville. After she reads it, begins laughing uncontrollably until Luna asks her what it is.

“A declaration.”

Sometime later, the first Royal Summit is held in Canterlot Castle for the leaders of the three Nations of Equestria.

Representing Canterlot City is Celestia, Princess of the Sun.

Representing the Crystal Empire is Cadance, the Crystal Empress.

And representing Greater Equestria is Applejack, the first Terra Queen.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In the Sanctum, the Guild of Time Defense watches everything. Twilight, Pinkie, and Nevermore mention how happy they are for Time Turner, but Colgate and the Tall Pony watch dispassionately. They turn to the shadows and tell their newest member that the time is almost upon them and that they need to get ready. Nevermore sees the new recruit and is furious.

The new recruit is a unicorn now, but he was once an earth pony, and a pegasus before that.

He says his name is Doctor Whooves.