• Published 5th Jan 2017
  • 1,097 Views, 13 Comments

Good Princess Celestia - twilightsparkle3562



On the Feast of Hearth's Warming Eve, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna risk their lives in a blinding snowstorm to bring essentials to a pair of poor ponies living in Canterlot

  • ...
3
 13
 1,097

Part 1: Feast of Hearth's Warming Eve

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: I do not own "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," or its characters. They are property of Hasbro Studios and DHX Media.

Princess Celestia looked out on the feast of Hearth's Warming Eve where the snow laid round about deep, crisp and even. The moon shone bright that night even though the frost was cruel, but Celestia didn't care. All that was important to her was seeing all her most loyal subjects celebrate the most important day in Equestria's history. However, as she looked out, Celestia noticed a pair of ponies, one old stallion and one young mare, trying to make their way through the snow hauling what appeared to be a pair of heavy carts full of winter fuel.

"Hurry," one of them said as they struggled through the snow. "We need to get this firewood back to the cottage before the blizzard comes."

"I'm trying, papa," the other one said. "But, this cart is too heavy. I don't know how long I can go on."

The older pony stopped what he was doing and went over to his daughter, seeing that she was clearly becoming exhausted from doing all this hard work.

"You must keep trying, my daughter," said the father. "If you want me to, I can place some of your load onto my load."

"No papa, it will be too heavy for you," cried the daughter. "Your heart will give out."

"That doesn't matter, my daughter," replied the father. "You must outlive me if anything were to happen to me. If only we weren't poor ponies living in Canterlot, we would have fortunes far greater than anypony."

The daughter agreed on this and allowed her father to take some of the firewood off of her cart. The increased weight nearly made the father collapse and Celestia couldn't help but wonder how these two ponies would live in this manner. She felt sorry for them and it didn't matter if they were poor, they needed support.

"Almost there, my young filly," gasped the father. "Just a little bit further!"

Celestia continued to watch for a few more moments until they were out of sight. By then, the snow had diminished somewhat, but was still packing quite a punch. In fact, Celestia could feel herself feeling cold, but it wasn't because of the weather. Walking back inside her quarters, Celestia was in deep thought about these ponies. Yes, they were poor, but they were still her subjects after all.

"The storm is getting more and more powerful, my sister," said Princess Luna, walking into her sister's quarters. "Nopony will survive in this weather unless they take shelter. Not even I can be spared from doing my duties as Princess of the Night."

But, Celestia didn't say anything. She continued to focus all of her attention on the two ponies that were out in the blinding snow hauling winter fuel.

"Sister, are you listening to me?" asked Luna, trying to get her big sister's attention. "I'm trying to explain to you about the severity of this weather. Sister? Big Sister!"

The sounds of her little sister's authoritive voice caused Celestia to snap out of her trance.

"Oh, sorry my little sister," she said. "I was thinking about something else that I saw happen out in the storm tonight."

"What are you talking about?" remarked Luna as Celestia sat down by her bedroom fireplace. "What did you see out in the storm?"

"Two ponies," answered Celestia. "If only I could do something for them. Something that would lift their spirits and make them realize that they aren't forgotten."

Luna was somewhat confused, but could understand where Celestia was coming from. Walking over to her sister, she laid down beside Celestia in an effort to remove the cold from her body. After all, Luna had seen what her sister was talking about before.

"One of them was a father and the other was a daughter," continued Celestia, lowering her head down to the ground. "They were struggling to haul a pair of carts filled with firewood. In fact, they could have died out there tonight."

"What should we do about it, big sister?" asked Luna. "Nopony would be brave enough to go out into this storm and put themselves at great risk for a pair of ponies who are less fortunate than ourselves. If you want to pay them a visit, why don't we wait until the storm dies down?"

But Celestia couldn't take herself to follow up on her sister's suggestion. There was something inside of her telling her that she needed to see these two ponies and bring some essentials to help them survive in the storm.

Just then, a knock at the door was heard and a lone page colt came into the bedroom bringing in what appeared to be food and drink. Seeing this gave Celestia an idea on what she needed to do.

"Come here for a moment, page," she said, beckoning the young colt to approach her and Luna. "Did you happen to see a pair of ponies making their way through the storm tonight? Who are they and where do they live?"

"They live near the stadium in a rundown house, your highness," the colt replied in a Trottingham accent. "Right against the guarded fence by Starswirl the Bearded's fountain."

Celestia took this into account and realized at that very moment, that she needed to brave this storm and go to their aid.

"Page, bring me flesh and bring me wine," she commanded, rising to her feet. "Bring me whatever pine logs we have in the castle. We will all see them dine when we bear them these gifts of warmth."

Luna was shocked and bewildered by this and couldn't believe that her older sister would be putting herself in harm's way like this.

"Sister, are you mad?" she cried, as they both rose to their feet. "You won't survive in this weather alone! The storm is far too dangerous for anypony, even you!"

"I must go to them, my sister," Celestia replied, firmly. "I cannot bear to stand by and watch them suffer any longer."

"Then I must go with you as well," remarked Luna, much to Celestia's surprise. "I could never live with myself if anything were to happen to you, big sister. You must let me go with you."

Celestia was surprised to hear this, but she understood where Luna was coming from.

"Very well then, little sister," she replied, draping a wing over Luna. "You shall come along with me and together, we will bring these gifts to those two ponies braving this storm. Come, we must go at once."

So, they left Celestia's quarters and made their way down to the ground level where they saw the page and several other servants loading a pair of sleighs filled with food, drink and firewood.

"The servants are ready to leave on your command," said the page.

"They aren't going," replied Celestia, much to the confusion of both the page and the servants. "My sister and I are going and I don't want to hear anypony try and convince us to not go. Is that understood?"

Heeding their superior's command, the servants set about attaching the straps of the sleighs to Celestia and Luna's bodies. Once they were strapped, the drawbridge was lowered and the two royal sisters stared out into the blinding snowstorm that shimmered before them.

"Come, Luna," Celestia said firmly as she pulled the sleigh out of the safety of the castle and into the storm. "We must hurry if we are to bring these gifts to the poor ponies."

Luna watched as her sister bravely made her way into the storm before following in her footsteps. It was dangerous, but it needed to be done for the sake of ponies less fortunate than both her and Celestia and one wondered if they were even going to survive in this fierce and deadly storm…