• Published 3rd Feb 2017
  • 1,122 Views, 13 Comments

Oh Spike We Hardly Knew Thee - 5u0myn0n4



A story cataloging the darkest times that befall Spike the Brave and Glorious. Spike experiences difficult situations, and is challenged to not give up no matter how grim things may seem. Twilight and friends must help in any way they can.

  • ...
7
 13
 1,122

Chapter 24: A New Era

Originally published on January 8th, 2019


Today was the big day, and Twilight and Spike paced inside the Crystal Palace, waiting for their moment. Twilight adorned a beautiful sparkly dress, complicated with her crown.

"So, today's the day huh?" Spike asked.
"Yep. It's truly incredible." Twilight replied.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.
"A little bit..." she replied.

"Is there anything in particular bothering you?" Spike asked.
"Well for one, it's just... what will everypony make of my metal wing?" Twilight asked.

After losing her wing from a devastating blow, she was given a new metal wing to replace the old one. It worked great, but was definitely noticeable.

"Twilight, no one is going to mind. It's not like you're a different pony. You're still the same you, metal wing or not. You're still the same great, amazing, wonderful, brave princess, who shines much brighter than anyone else who follows her..." he trailed off at the end.

*sniff* "Thanks Spike. Your words really do help. What happened is what happened, so we can only look forward. I have a metal wing, and it is what it is. I hope you enjoy your new wings." Twilight smiled.

"It is with great honor we all welcome..." a voice called from outside.

"That's our cue." Twilight said.
"Are you ready Twilight?" Spike asked.

"Only if you are." she replied.
"Anytime." he said confidently.

"...presenting, Princess Twilight Sparkle, and Spike the Brave and Glorious!" Celestia announced.

Twilight and Spike walked through the curtain, and onto the Crystal Palace balcony. Their friends awaited them. The other princesses, Celestia, Luna, and Cadance. As well as Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Starlight Glimmer, Shining Armor, Flurry Heart, Sunburst, Ember, Garble, and Jeffery. Beneath was a massive crowd of both ponies, and dragons. In the crowed were all their friends and family. The dragons who had been previously captured all came back for today's ceremony. As well as dragons who weren't captured too. Their friends were all dressed very formally, even Ember and Garble dressed up for the occasion.

"Thank you everyone for attending." Twilight announced.

The crowd went quiet as they listened to her.

"Ponies, dragons, every creature in the crowd right now. We are all gathered here to celebrate this historic moment. Today we commemorate the start of something that may have seemed impossible, not to long ago. But a lot has changed in Equestria. This used to be a land where , earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi fought over land and resources, but we have long since put that behind us. But unifying the EUP was only the beginning. We still have such a long way to go. And at this moment, we all take a giant leap forward. Today we start the official alliance between ponies and dragons."

Everyone in the crowd cheered and clapped.

"For too long, ponies and dragons have lived separated, isolated from one another, but no longer. Today, we put away all prejudice, join hooves and claws together, and start a new order. Something greater, something stronger, than either of our individual forces." Twilight spoke to the crowd.

Ember stepped forward.

"And now, Dragon Lord Ember will shake with the four princesses of Equestria." Garble announced.

Ember stepped forward, and shook hoof and claw with Princess Celestia. Celestia then stepped aside to make way for the others. Ember then shook hands with Princess Luna, followed by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza (Cadance), and finally, Princess Twilight Sparkle.

"And with that, it is done. The pony and dragon alliance is official. Ponies and dragons will live as one. As a team, unified, and stronger together." Luna announced.

"Hoof and claw, we have each other's backs should danger come our way." Cadance said.

*crowd cheer*


And with that, the ceremony was just about done.

"Thank you everyone for attending. But before we go, there is one more thing. Something I should have done a long time. Spike." Twilight said.

"Me?" he asked.
"Yes you. Stand here Spike."

Spike stood in the middle of the balcony. Everypony gazed at him, curious what was coming.

"I've been thinking a lot about our journey, not just this story, but everything we've been through. I journeyed all the way to Frozen North to save you, but in the end, it was me who needed saving. You saved my life, Spike. You've expressed unparalleled bravery and courage in the face of danger. To merely consider you my assistant after such a noble act, would be a great dishonor to your legacy."

Spike was flattered, but he was also worried about where this was going.

"That is why I'm here to present to you a special opportunity." she said.
"Um... okay." he said.

"Spike after much consideration, I hereby set you free." Twilight said.
"I'm... what?" Spike asked.

"You're free from the confines of my rule. From now on, you're your own dragon, free to make your own decisions."

The crowd was stunned.

"Twilight, I..." Spike was speechless.
"You saved my life, I have nothing more to teach you." Twilight said.

Spike was stunned. He didn't know what to think at first.

"That's extremely generous of you Twilight. But, does this mean you're sending me away?" he asked, with a single tear.
"Not necessarily. You make your own decisions now, but I would like to present you the choice between two special offers. I'll pass it to you Ember for the first offer."

"Thank you Twilight. Spike, after much thought, me and all the other dragons, would like to offer you the chance to be our Dragon Lord." Ember presented Spike with the newly rebuilt Bloodstone Scepter.

"You want me to be your dragon lord? You think I'd make a good ruler?" Spike asked.
"Absolutely Spike. I fell short of my duties, and I think you'd bare the torch stronger than I did." Ember said.

Spike thought about the idea of being dragon lord. It sounded neat to have ever dragon obey his command. But something would be amiss...

"I'm extremely flattered by your offer. And Twilight, I'm incredibly grateful, for the opportunity, but, *sigh* I don't know. I'll relay what I said before. It's not that being dragon lord wouldn't be great. It's not that I don't think I'm cut out for it, but my gut tells me that there's only one place I really belong." Spike said.

"I had a feeling you wouldn't want to leave. I understand." Twilight said.
"There's no place I'd rather be, than by your side." Spike said.

"Very well, you may stay, however, don't expect things to be the same. Things are going to be very different from now on." she said.

That sentence made Spike worried. What was the catch? Would Twilight make him work extra hard?

"Spike, take a knee." Twilight ordered.

Spike got on his knee, although he wasn't sure why.

"Spike, my fateful assistant, trustworthy companion, and... best friend. You are one of the bravest creatures I know of, so I'm going to do something extra special. It is with a heavy heart, and a ton of emotion, that I make this promotion. Spike, I hereby make you, my honorary Knight of Friendship."

Spike was amazed and in disbelief by what she had said. His jaw dropped and eyes widened.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash placed a necklace with a medal around Spike's neck. The emblem was shaped like Twilight's cutie mark. Spike was speechless.

"It is your sworn duty to protect me and the rest of Equestria from any and all harm. More will be expected of you, but the gratification will be much greater. My life is on your shoulders Spike, my knight." Twilight said.

Spike was... overcome with emotion.

"I don't know what to say Twilight *sniff* this is such an honor *sniff* this is the greatest thing I ever could have imagined *sniff* I won't let you down." Spike said.

"I know you won't." Twilight said.

Twilight put her hoof out, to shake with Spike. However, Spike just lunged forward and gave Twilight a big hug. She embraced it. She felt it was the right thing to do.

*loud cheering*

Thorax was in the crowd, and couldn't help but shed some tears for his friend. Twilight's parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light felt proud. Spike was family to them.

Ember gave the signal. "That's our cue everyone." a dragon in the crowd said.

The dragons hovered in the air, and breathed fire ninety degrees up into the air. The streams of fire coalesced into beautiful fireworks.

"Woah..." Spike said.
"It's beautiful." Jeff said.

"Dragons don't have to be destructive anymore. Our unique attributes can help ponies too." Ember said.
"Couldn't have said it better myself." Celestia said.

"Now then, how about we celebrate?!" Pinkie said.


Every pony and dragon was enjoying the festivities.

Ponies and dragons came 'round and congratulated Spike.

"Congratulations Spike!" said a crystal pony.
"Thanks." he replied.

"Wow Spike, incredible." said a pegasus.
"Thank you, you're too kind." he replied.

"Thank you for releasing us." Fizzle said.
"It was my pleasure." Spike said.

The next pony to come up to Spike was a particular one. It was a purple unicorn, with a cover over her right eye.

"Spike, I don't know if you remember me, but I am just so proud of how much you've grown." they said.
"Thanks. But, who are you?" Spike asked.

"We used to play pretend knights together in pre-school, but here you are, a real knight, for a real princess." they said.
*gasp* "I think I remember you..." Spike said.


Later, Spike even met up with other friends.

"Spike!"
"Thorax!"

"Spike, I'm so happy for you. You're a knight now!" Thorax said. "That's like, the coolest thing!"
"Aw thanks." he said.

Spike was greeted by Twilight's parents.

"We're so proud of you Spike." Twilight Velvet said.
"Thanks, it really means a lot hearing that from you." Spike said.

"You've grown so matured. It brings proud tears to our eyes."

Twilight Velvet (Twilight's mom), was like another mom to him.

But suddenly, the sky lit up. Everyone looked up, and there was a fireball in the sky!

"What is that?" the crowd of ponies asked.
"Don't look at us, that's the glow of a phoenix." Ember said.

"Did you say phoenix?" Spike asked.

The fireball descended, and dissipated, revealing.

*gasp* "Peewee! You're all grown up, just me! You came to celebrate with us!"
Peewee nodded and chirped.

"Garble, this is Peewee, he's the phoenix who hatched from the egg that... we found together. Remember?" Spike said.
"...oh right, heh." Garble said.

Garble sort of almost made Spike smash Peewee's egg, but that's in the past.

"Ah ha, this is kind of awkward..." Clump said.
"Um, no hard feelings Peewee?" Fume asked.

Peewee nodded. Though it wasn't clear if he was aware of the events that took place before he hatched.

"I saved your egg and I hatched you. I did double duty." Spike said. Unlike me, who had two different ponies do each respective role.


"Spike, there's someone I'd like you to meet." Ember said.
There was a shy dragon behind her. She was orange, with purple on her head and tail.

"Spike, meet Smolder." Ember said.
"Uh, hi there." Spike said awkwardly.

"So, you're the one who got rid of that Henry guy?" Smolder asked.
"Yeah, I suppose that-" Spike was interrupted.

"Good residence. Me and the other non-captured dragons were worried sick." Smolder said. "Why, he wasn't hidden so well, and if you hadn't taken care of him, I would'a ripped him apart myself!"

"Yeah, heh, good residence..." Spike trailed off, sounding unsure.


Spike was even visited by the cutie mark crusaders!

"It's so good to see you again, Spike." Apple Bloom said.
"We were so worried about you." Scootaloo said.

"Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo. It's been a while. How have you-"
"Is it true what they said!? Did you really defeat an evil dictator single handed?" Sweetie Belle squealed.

"Well, I wouldn't say it like that but, yeah, I pretty much saved the day." Spike said.
"That's so noble of you Spike!" Apple Bloom said.

"You're so brave and heroic." Scootaloo added.

The cutie mark crusaders felt honored to be in Spike's presence.

"You're like actually a knight now. That's so dreamy." Sweetie Belle fell over in awe.
"Aw shucks, you're making me blush." Spike said.

The three fillies all gave Spike a group hug.


The festivities continued through the day.

"Wow, the party is going great." Starlight said.
"It's so well organized." Ember said.

"Leave it to Twilight to organize a party in a neat and orderly fashion." Rainbow Dash said.

*AHH!*

There was a cry among the crowd.

*vroom*

*gasp*

"I should have known something would have gone down." Twilight said.
Henry!? Spike thought.

Everypony cleared the path.

It was Henry's car! It drove through the streets of the Crystal Empire.

"It's Henry!" Twilight cried.
"How did he rebuild the car?" Starlight asked.

"Don't know, don't care! Come everyone!" Twilight exclaimed.
"Huh? Oh right." Spike said.

Everyone sprung into fighting pose. The car stopped, and the top hatch opened. Revealing...

"Stop stop stop! It's me!" Pinkie said.
"Pinkie Pie?!" Twilight asked.

"What is going on here?" Applejack asked.
"You're never going to believe it. The yaks have been going through the ruins of Henry's hideout, and they found an entire warehouse full of cars!" Pinkie said. "These things are the future! No more slow transportation!"

"I don't know if that's a good idea-" Starlight started, but Pinkie interrupted.
"Anyway, I'll meet you all back in Ponyville!" Pinkie went back into the car, and started it back up, but it wouldn't go.

*sounds of engine not working*

Everyone shrugged and looked at each other. Finally, Pinkie Pie popped out of the car again.

"Um guys, what it mean when this red needle points to 'E'?" Pinkie asked.
"Um... it means don't worry about it." Jeff said.

"Hahahahaha!" everypony laughed.
"Haha... I don't get it." Pinkie said.

With those shenanigans out of the way, the party continued.


Everyone partied through the night. But eventually, it was time to wrap everything up.

"Well, we best be one our way before the cold starts to roll in." Garble said.
"It's been an honor to join in this alliance." Ember added.

"I tell you what, the last thing I ever saw me doing was embracing friendship. But, something about finding a common enemy in Henry, it helps to come together in times of desperation." Garble said.

"And in the process, you know, it ain't so bad." Baff said.
"Yeah, you ponies have all kinds of cool things... that I plan to share of course." Vex said.

"So does this mean you dragons are going to live among ponies?" Fluttershy asked.
"Not necessarily. Old habits die hard. We belongs to the dragon lands." Garble said.

"But anytime you ponies need assistance, you know who to turn to." Ember said.
"If any more wise guys come along and cause any trouble, you can count on us to be right by your side." Garble said.

"Thank you. Although, what could possibly happen next?" Twilight asked.
"Oh you never know when things could get stormy." Ember said.

"And Spike." Garble started. "You done good. You've done really good. I'm proud."
"Thank you, really." Spike appreciated what he said.

"Last chance Spike. You sure you don't wanna come to the dragon lands?" Ember asked.
"Eh... maybe later. I still have a lot of catching up to do with my pony friends." Spike said.

"You're welcome anytime at the dragon lands Spike." she said.
"Now come on dragons, let's fly!" Ember commanded.

Every dragon stood in formation in streets of Crystal Empire. They flapped their wings to warm up. Finally, they each took off into the night sky. Every pony waved goodbye. The heard of dragons breathed a ball of fire around them to keep them warm through the icy landscape. Spike watched feeling bittersweet. Watching his fellow dragons fly away, whilst he remained.


It was time for the other ponies to leave as well. Our heroes had spent enough time in the cold, and they were ready for the warmth of Ponyville. The mane 6, Spike, and Starlight waited for their train to take them home. Celestia, Luna, Cadance. Jeffery and his parents came to say goodbye, along with his sister Moon Beam.

"Girls, I just want to take the time to thank you for putting up with me for as long as you have." Twilight said. "I know I acted terribly to you earlier, and I'm sincerely sorry for my behavior. But you came rushing to my side anyway. Were it not for you, I would've probably frozen in the snow alone. I couldn't have saved Spike without you."

"Of course. We'd do anything for you two." Fluttershy said.
"Friends never give up on other friends." Applejack said.

"We all love you and Spike, and couldn't imagine life without either of you." Rarity said.
"You two make our lives awesome." Rainbow Dash said.

"I'd say something inspirational, but I just feel like crying tears of joy." Pinkie Pie said.

Every pony smiled.

"And of course, thank you Spike for saving me." Twilight said.
Twilight's words resonated through Spike's heart.

*CHOO CHOO* The train pulled in and had arrived at the station.

The mane 5, and Starlight were ready for board the train for Ponyville.

"Twilight, take care." Celestia said.
"Until next time." Luna said.

"See you soon!" Cadance said.
"Don't be reckless." Shining Armor said.

"Be sure to write back to me Starlight." Sunburst said.
Flurry Heart made funny noises, and waved by to ever pony.

Jeffery and his family waved goodbye too.

"So what are you going to do now, Jeffery?" Fluttershy asked.
"I'll definitely continue researching. Now that we're friends with dragons, it's an opportunity to learn a lot about each other." he said. "As well as be older sibling my little sister always deserved." Jeffery held baby Moon Beam. "Not to mention that I still have some things to clean up, up north." Jeff said.

His mom and dad stood on either of his side, proud of him.

"Good bye!"
"See you soon!"

In a single file line, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy, and Starlight boarded the train. Twilight and Spike however did not.

"Aren't you coming Twilight?" Starlight asked.
"You go on ahead. Spike and I are going to take the scenic route." Twilight said.

"Yes, the scenic route. Just us." Spike said.


There is one more chapter to go. Come back next time for what might be the very last chapter.