• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 1,092 Views, 22 Comments

One Last Flight - BlankBlankBlank



After being left alone with her thoughts, Scootaloo considers suicide.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,092

Realization

Creeak..

The large wooden door slowly opened, light pouring inside to illuminate the dark and empty house, the sound of soft breathing now being the only noise to fill the room as a peach orange coated mare with a pinkish purple mane entered the house, a deep sigh escaping her lips. The mare, known as Scootaloo, tossed her bags down to floor with a low thump that went unnoticed. She didn't bother locking her door, only kicking it with her hind leg to a close as Ponyville was a rather safe and crimeless area. Either that, or the fact that she wasn't currently thinking about her safety, she was too deep in thought. Dragging herself up the stairs, she made her way to her bedroom, not once taking her eyes off the floor.

She was in complete silence until she tossed herself onto her bed, staring up at the ceiling with a hurt filled expression, eyes full of endless questioning and regret.

"What am I doing here?" She asked loudly, she could feel a pit begin to form in her chest as she spoke, her tone becoming quieter. "I shouldn't be here, I don't NEED to be here... nopony needs me." Her voice cracked upon those last words.

Tears forming slowly in her eyes, she clenched her teeth hard, shutting her eyes as to not cry. She was ashamed of herself, ashamed of her very existence, for that matter. She had been regretting her life for a while now, about two years into high school, to be exact. Well, as exact as she could be, lately she couldn't even remember the simplest things, such as the day or the basic names of her friends. Her life had just become one thought.

I'm useless, I shouldn't be here.. Everyday is the same. I'm accomplishing nothing..

This fact became a common thought for the young mare now. She had repeated this to herself everyday, even though she didn't want too. Every time she thought of this, it took a chunk of her will to live away, it brought her closer and closer to the edge of something terrible. She remembered the first time this horrible notion came to mind, it was after one of her Rainbow Dash Fanclub meetings were over, and everypony left the treehouse, leaving her alone with her thoughts. She had spent the rest of the day in that treehouse thinking about how inferior she was to her idol, clutching the hat she had made all the club members wear in her hooves.

She turned her head sideways, taking a look at the large Rainbow Dash poster taped to her wall, along side a Wonderbolts flyer. When she found out Rainbow Dash had wanted to become a Wonderbolt, it almost instantly became her goal as well. She dreamed of one day being part of the team of pegasi, flying along side Rainbow Dash and standing in the spotlight with her, ponies cheering her on and calling her name- being seen and remembered as an important pony.

Sadly, that dream was long gone, it had been shattered when she was diagnosed with a birth defect that rendered her flightless. At first, she believed she was just a late bloomer, and that she would be able to soon fly if she practiced hard enough. She carried this thought with her until her first year of high school, where this hope was beaten out of her, both verbally and psychically by her greatest bully- Diamond Tiara. She remembered the day perfectly, she was at recess playing soccer when the ball flew up into a tree, getting stuck. She had been playing with earth ponies on her team, and the opposing team told her to get the ball...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You were the one who knocked the ball up into the tree in the first place, YOU go get it!

But I can't fl..

Scoots, stop joking around and get the ball, recess is gonna be over soon.

I'm not joking... I-

Oh, she's not joking, she really can't fly. Haven't you ever wondered why the blank flank hasn't earned her cutie mark yet?

Tiara, not now.. I can tell them myself-

Don't interrupt me, you don't have the status. You're a pegasus, flying is your thing! Maybe those small wings of yours just can't carry you, huh? You've never been able to fly, you can't even lift yourself up off the ground, and yet one of the fastest ponies in Equestria is your role model? Maybe you should get your head out of the clouds if you can't even reach them!

PBBT! A PEGASUS THAT CANT FLY?! SHE'S AN EARTH PONY THEN!

Pff, even that retarded bitch Derpy can fly, what gives? I'll go get it, i'm not a poor excuse of a pegasus like her, I can actually fly.

How're you in high school and you can't fly? What CAN you do then? Besides fap off to the mare you'll never fuck, I mean.

She probably has a body pillow of the Skittles bitch that she kisses every night before she sleeps, your parents must really love you.

Parents? I've never even seen them pick her up from school before, she's probably an orphan, to be honest.

Damn, not even her parents wanted her.

STOP IT, LEAVE ME ALONE! I... I can fly, i'm just a late bloomer, you'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE!

Aww, she's crying. What a fuckin' baby. GO RUN HOME TO YOUR NON-EXISTANT PARENTS, BITCH!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scootaloo only now noticed the hot tears drooling down her cheeks, the warm sensation being something she was used to. She cried everyday, in the bathrooms during lunch, when she got home from school, and even when she tried to sleep, her weekends were usually spent sitting alone and thinking, thinking about how worthless she was- a pegasus that couldn't fly. Ever since that horrific day, the kids in school would refer to her as The Parentless Pegasus, or Chicken Little. Her hatred for her classmates only grew, determined to prove them wrong. She went to the doctors later that same day, sitting in the white and blue room awaiting her doctors arrival, hope in her eyes.

That hope was soon smashed to bits as the doctor returned, pity in his tone as he spoke..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you won't be flying any time soon. You have Futile Feathers Syndrome, meaning your wings are defective and small, and therefore cannot produce the strength to lift you off the ground, nonetheless into the sky.

Wh-what..?! That can't be right.. please, please tell me theres a way to fix it!

Unfortunately, there is no known cure for this disability other than surgery. Considering you're a minor, your parents would have to sign a form of consent to allow this operation to undergo, which is, in fact, very dangerous, and may cost you your life, not to mention the amount of bits it would take.

Surgery? How much is it?

It would be about 4,500 bits in all, but your parents would have to sign, as you're too young to sign on your own.

4,500!? THATS INSANE! MY PARENTS WONT PAY THAT! THEY CANT EVEN PAY ATTENTION TO ME! THEY'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL PARENTS!

... Then I'm sorry, but there is nothing further we can do to help you until your parents sign and pay. I'm sorry.

THATS WHAT YOU ALL SAY! FUCK. YOU.

Ma'am, please control yourself, otherwise I will be forced to call security.

SECURITY?! I'M GONNA BE STUCK LIKE THIS FOREVER AND YOU WANNA CALL SECURITY?! I OUGHTA TEAR YOUR DICK OFF!

Is that a threat?

YOU- AGGHH! I CAN'T RIGHT NOW.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That day she had bolted out of the hospital, knocking over sick patients and rushing out of the door, nearly knocking down one of the security guards themselves, as she speeded by, all she could hear was one of the nurses telling the guard to look out, shouting his name as he dodged. She remembered his name for some reason, Abass, weird name for a security guard at a hospital. A weird name in general. She sat up in her bed, looking down. She had denied the truth for so long when it was so obvious, and when she was told the truth about her disability, she lashed out, hurting others in the process.

Of course, her parents refused to sign the papers and pay the money, even though they had it. Scootaloo's parents didn't care for her, and she knew it. They were always out drinking and partying, she wondered why they had adopted her in the first place if they didn't want to care for her. She missed her real parents, but she knew she'd never see them again. With her father being convicted of a crime he didn't commit, he was locked up, later being shanked in prison by the fellow inmates that believed he did the crime, wanting to personally punish him for it. It didn't take long for her mother to slip into a deep depression, locking herself in her room for days, until Scootaloo had broken the door in after a few good slams and found her mothers body.

The mourning mare had hung herself, it seemed. Though the rope seemed to have given way, snapping after holding her dead body for so long, her mothers lifeless corpse laid on the floor, staring into nothing, her body stiff and cold. She could see the darkened marks on her face, indicating that her mother had died crying, probably over her lost husband. Scootaloo was put into adoption, but months later being taken in by a seemingly kind family. However, it was all just an act for the staff working at the center to believe, for as soon as she entered her new home, she was put to do chores, becoming a house maid for her new family. Whenever she refused to do work, her new parents would threaten to send her back to Foster Care, which was the last thing she wanted, even the kids at that place picked on her for her small wings.

It was finally clear to Scootaloo- she would never be Rainbow Dash, or anything close to her. Sweetiebelle and Applebloom already received their cutiemarks, and had been long since waiting for their violet haired friend to get hers. The flightless mare believed she would never achieve her cutiemark without her wings, it had to be related to flight like most other pegasi.

"I'll never be able to fly, I won't ever soar with Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts. Nopony will remember me bye, I don't matter. I'm just wasting oxygen. I shouldn't be here. I was doomed from the start. Nopony needs me." The disheartened pegasus repeated these words to herself in a deadpanned voice, accepting her damaged life and unfair fate.

"There's only one thing left to do then.."

She got off of her bed, making her way to her desk and sitting infront of a large book that was titled Scootaloo's Diary: KEEP OUT! She grabbed the book and opened it, flipping to a new page and beginning to write. She rested her head on the desk as she wrote, sighing once again, but not in sadness, it was a relaxed sigh- she was ready to leave this place..

Forever.

Author's Note:

HELLO EVERYONE!

This will be one of my first fully finished stories on this site, and I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to give questions and feedback on the story, as i'm only a beginner at writing on these kinds of topics. Also, please note that the cover art for this story was done by me, do not use this image for anything at all without my permission, thank you.

PLEASE LEAVE A LIKE AND A COMMENT WITH FEEDBACK, THANKS!