• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 1,466 Views, 24 Comments

Heart`s Warming, the Breezes of Loyalty [Edited] - CaioCoia



Spike never imagine how terrible week he had before Heart's Warming day, suffering with his crush Rarity destroying the chances of them being a couple, made him try to avoid everything to think about it, but one unexpected visit changed everything

  • ...
2
 24
 1,466

Power Ponies vs Daring Do

After collapsing to the floor, Spike was looking at her like his heart had stopped beating for a few seconds, she wasn't moving, and Spike assumed the worst.

“Rainbow!!” Spike shouted in despair, he didn't think about what he was going to do, but his instincts had kicked in making him move to her side and wrap her hooves over his shoulder and pick her up, carrying her on his back. He knew where the fireplace was, so he didn’t have that far to go. After passing many doors he finally reached the one with the fireplace inside.

He opened the door and carried Rainbow Dash over to the fireplace. He set her down in front of it, hoping it’d warm her up.

Letting out a sigh of relief, he went into another room and took some blankets out for her. After laying them across her he noticed her smiling like she was enjoying the warmth.

“Hey, Spike do you know who was at the door?” Twilight asks before spotting Rainbow Dash. She was going to say something else but decided against it. “Never mind. What happened to her?”

“She was outside freezing, when I let her in, she just sort of fainted.” Spike said putting more blankets on Rainbow Dash.

“Hey Spike, why don’t you make some hot cocoa for her? It will help her when she wakes up.” Twilight suggested to him, Spike nodded in agreement.

“Got it.” Spike ran along to the kitchen, leaving Twilight and Rainbow Dash alone.

Twilight stared at Rainbow Dash for a few minutes, before she noticed Rainbow Dash starting to recover. Her eyes widened slowly, after realizing where she was, she smiled at Twilight.

“Hey Twi, how are you?” Rainbow Dash asked leaving the blankets.

“I’m alright, how was your little nap?” Twilight asked narrowing her eyes.

“Oh that, sorry to faint in your home. hum...” Rainbow Dash stretched and yawned. “Anyways, thanks for bringing me here.”

“Actually, It wasn’t me who did that. When I came into this room, it was Spike who was putting blankets on you. He was the one who brought you in.” Twilight said giving all the credit to Spike.

“Really, the squirt? How did he bring me here?” Rainbow Dash asked in disbelief, she couldn’t imagine how Spike had managed to carry her here.

“I carried you here by myself, and before asking another question. I already carry your weight in books daily, so don’t act so surprised.” Spike sounded a bit disappointed and upset. He never liked it when somepony didn’t believe what he could do, but he knew this would always happen. Even with his friends. “Here, I brought you some hot chocolate to make you feel better.”

“Oh thanks Spike, I didn’t want it to sound like I didn’t believe you. Thanks for your help, Squirt.” Rainbow Dash tried to apologize to the little dragon.

“That’s okay Rainbow, you aren’t the first pony who did that, but I have a question for you. What the hay were you doing outside on Hearth’s Warming Eve?!” Spike really wanted to know why she was out that morning, on a day where it made more sense to stay home.

She took a sip and let out a sigh of pure bliss. She was in paradise after taking a sip of the hot cocoa, her reaction made Twilight and Spike share a look, smiling at each other.

“Okay, I was alone at my house and I really wanted to do something. I was like super bored, cause I read all my Daring Do books, so I left and decided to visit my great friends.” Rainbow Dash answered taking another sip, approaching them and hugging them.

“Fluttershy isn’t home right?” Spike asked making her look at him like she was offended, but she sighed nodding.

“She left a message saying she was staying with her family. I tried to talk to Applejack, but the Pinkie Pies’ family was there making a new ‘family tradition’ the last pony I wanted to visit was Rarity, that’s why I came here.” Rainbow Dash snorted like she didn’t like how the conversation was going.

“I’m glad you choose to stay here Rainbow, Starlight decided to stay in the Crystal Empire to celebrate with her friend Sunburst, and it was only me and Spike, we’re making the preparations for Hearth’s Warming, and Spike was going to take a break when you came.” Twilight was happy to see one of her friends there to celebrate with them, but looking to Spike, he wasn’t excited like her.

“Okay, so, if you don’t mind, Twilight. I will go to read my comics.” Spike said walking away from the door.

“Spike wait, please, if you won’t read the books, at least read your comics in the reading section.” Twilight suggest, almost begging him to do that.

“Urrrrgh, come on Twilight! Why are you still trying to do this? Fine, I will go there, but I will do only that.” Spike shouted and closes the door with a slam, leaving Rainbow Dash with her mouth agape.

“What just happened?” Rainbow Dash asked, still trying to figure what she saw some seconds ago. Twilight sat down, sighing.

“Spike had a terrible week, and when I tried to make him read a book to feel better, he said no. And that he doesn’t like reading books.” Twilight said trying to understand what she did wrong to him.

“Woah woah wait, are you telling me, that your number one assistant, who helps you every day looking and finding books for you. Doesn’t like to read?” Rainbow Dash sounded weird when she said that, but that was really what she was thinking.

“Yeah, I did everything to help him, but I don’t know why, maybe you can help me, Dash. Can you talk to him, you can try to make him to read a Daring Do book.” Twilight asked for her help to make him to read her favorite book, and nothing was better than helping her friend read a Daring Do book.

“Okay, I will make him love to read books the same way you do, just one Daring Do will make him change his mind.” Rainbow Dash finished her cocoa and flew at high speeds around the library. Finding Spike quickly among the shelves.

“Hey, Rainbow. You look better, going to read another Daring Do book?” Spike asked glad to see Rainbow Dash back in the air..

“Yeah Squirt, Daring Do is the best story in the world, maybe you should give it a shot.” Rainbow Dash approached him, winking. Spike went over his options before shaking his head in disagreement.

“No thanks, I’ll be fine reading my comic books.” He only answered opening the door, holding ten of his Power Ponies comics in his claw.

Her mouth opened but she wasn’t willing to give up early, she remembered what Twilight said, so she couldn’t force him to do that if he wasn’t ready.

After they entered she flew away looking for her book, finding it she laid down on the floor and opened it.

“Okay, suit yourself.” Her answer made Spike looked to her in disbelief, like he heard something he didn’t understand, he comes closer to her and started to ask.

“Really? That’s it? That easy?” Spike asked as if it was some kind of practical joke. “No lecture or disapproving face?”

“Why would I do that? You think I’d be like Twilight and make you read books like her?” Rainbow Dash shrugged and continued to read. “You decided that you didn’t want to read so I won’t force you to do that.”

“Actually, I was expecting you to act like her. She always makes my decisions hard. When I said I don’t want to read, it was like I destroyed her heart and everything she believes in, but this isn’t the end of the world, we already saved it too many times.” Spike said to Rainbow Dash, lying on the floor like her. He opened his comic book and started to read.

One thing on Rainbow Dash’s mind was still bothering her, she needed to talk about it.

"I thought you loved books like Twilight does." Dash said. Everytime she had visited the Castle he was always showing them books that held information about their missions.

“Yeah, I know that, and that’s why all you girls have made the same mistake.” Spike snorted he pointed at all the books from the library. “Rainbow Dash, I only reads these books when Twilight needs my help with the myths, legends, and culture when she was out looking for threats, future lessons, or missions. And this includes looking up all the information like magic, monsters, and history. All of these things I do for her.”

Rainbow Dash was still listening him, she sighed disapproving of his actions but kept listening as he continued to talk.

“She doesn’t know but I hate to read these books. I’ve read more than two-hundred books only to help her, and I don’t understand many of these books. I’m not a bookworm like Twi is, but when she started with all of this I started to lose interest in the books, and every time she asks me to read one, I end up hating them even more.” Spike was pressing his comic books, he was tired of the same excuse, doing the same thing, and this made him hate every book..

The revelation made Rainbow Dash speechless, what could she say to somepony who only does something he hates to help one friend? And the most important thing, he never told anypony that he doesn’t like to read books, it was in that one moment he told the truth about his actions.

“I never imagined you’d do that too only help Twilight. I have to say, Squirt. You are very good liar.” Rainbow Dash confessed, she was much surprised and slightly sad for him.

“Thanks Rainbow, I do everything to keep my title of number one assistant. Even if it means doing things I hate, you know?” Spike said trying to force a laugh, but it had ended up sounding pathetic. “You can read your Daring Do book here, actually having company here would be great. If you need any help finding another book I will be more than glad to help you”

Rainbow Dash was glad he still wanted to let her read there, maybe she could find out a way to help him with his problem.

“Okay dude, I’ll be here, but prepare yourself because when I read Daring Do, I get excited and I make a lot of noise.” Rainbow Dash admitted, but warned him of her adverse reactions to the Daring Do stories.

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind, Dash.” Spike said, taking a seat on the floor and beginning to read his ‘Power Ponies’ comics.

Rainbow Dash opened her book and began to read. It didn’t take long before she began to react to the story, letting out cheers of excitement every so often. Spike was more interested in her reactions, she was doing her best to make noise and garner his attention. It worked.

Spike started to chuckle and tried to ignore her constant noise making, but after a few minutes of her cheers and yips, he became very annoyed and curious. But he would not let her reactions trick him into reading that book. She let out a surprised gasp, Spike tried to ignore it but the sounds got louder. They kept getting louder and louder until he noticed Rainbow Dash was practically screaming right into his ear.

"Okay, Dash! What do you want?!" Spike had gotten angry after he found out she was purposely trying to annoy him with her noises. Dash needed an excuse and attempted to look around for one before spotting the comic in his claw with the number three printed on it.

"Hey, Squirt. What are you reading?" She asked curiously, making the perfect distraction for him to calm himself down.

"Well, I'm reading the ten parts of: The Journey of the Power Ponies." Spike said in a mock announcer voice, "It showcases the origins of the Power Ponies and the origin of the Mane-iac." Spike said excitedly, making it seem like the Power Ponies were the best thing in the world.

"Woah, can I take a look at the Zapp story? I really wanna know what type of pony she is and how she got her awesome powers." Dash was genuinely interested to read about her comic here, she was after all Zapp for a day.

Spike smiled at her and gave her part five of the Power Ponies comic arc, the one that included the Zapp origin story, they began reading it together. Spike was standing behind her, reading it over her shoulder and watching her reactions to the story, it was priceless when she had discovered that Zapp was the captain of an elite branch of the Royal Guard. When one accident made her fly inside of a giant storm, the multiple strikes of lightning that hit her body changed her and gave her the powers she has today.

"Woah, that was awesome. She was like a Wonderbolt and then got struck by lightning and got her awesome powers. This totally makes her twenty percent cooler than she was before!" Dash was excitedly flying around the area they were reading in.

Spike chuckled softly, watching her express her excitement. "Yeah, my reaction pretty much went the same way, minus the flying. I never imagined the others' origin stories, if you want to read them you can feel free to do so." Spike was happy to see at least one of his friends take an interest in reading his comics, it got boring when he was the only one who enjoyed the Power Ponies comics.

"Alright, but I gotta ask you something, Spike. Can we read these somewhere else? Maybe near the fireplace, it'd be more comfortable to read there." Dash was telling the truth, being farther into the castle meant that it was much colder. Spike himself didn't exactly want to stay there for long periods of time.

"Sure, lets get out of here." Spike got up from his place on the floor and started to walk with Rainbow Dash, as they passed through the doorway Spike turned to Dash. "Hey, Dash, I'm going to go make us some more cocoa in the kitchen, you can head on over to the fireplace and get comfortable."

Rainbow Dash made her way to the fireplace and spotted Twilight making preperations for Heart's Warming, she was holding a couple of things in her magic and decorating the room.

"Hey, Twi. Do you need any help with that?" Dash offered, flapping over to her friend.

"No, I'm good, I'm just setting up the decorations. It isn't too hard to deal with. How's it going with Spike?" Twilight asked, looking to her friend.

"He's alright, only needed to talk with a good friend like me." She stated smugly, puffing out her chest. Twilight let out a sigh of relief.

"That's good, I was starting to think that he was upset with me for what happened earlier. But I'm happy he's feeling better now. Thank you, Dash. I'm going to finish taking care of the preparations for tomorrow, can you stay with him while I finish things up?" She asked as the nailed some decorations to the mantle using her magic. "And please, don't leave him alone with his thoughts, who knows what'll happen if you do."

Rainbow didn't really understand what Twilight had meant by the last part, she decided to help watch over Spike anyways.

"Sure, I can do that no problem. I'll make sure he doesn't think when I'm with him." She stated, unkowingly garnering a glare from Twilight. "Me and him are actually gonna read some comics near the fireplace, it's really cold in the library." She turned around and flew off before Twilight could say anything else.

"I hope you can make him feel better, Dash." She whispered, watching her friend fly away. She turned aroudn and went back to decorating the room.

Flying into the room with the fireplace, she made herself comfortable, wrapping herself in the same covers that Spike had done that same morning. She then decided that this was the perfect place to read Daring Do.

Meanwhile, Spike was drinking his cocoa and walking to the fireplace, he found Dash enjoying her book wrapping in blankets. He watched her while she read, seeing her get excited and more animated the longer she read for. He raised his brow and became curious.

"Hey, Dash. I have the cocoa." Spike said as he entered the room, taking a seat next to her and giving her her cocoa.

"Thanks, Spike." She took a sip of it. "Dude, you don't know how much better this cocoa makes me feel."

"I'm really glad you like it, I usually watch the snow fall while I drink it." Spike stated, walking over to the window and looking outside. Dash's eyes followed him as she became lost in thought.

"Hey, squirt? Stop thinking over there and come sit near the fire with me. Don't you wanna finish your comics?" She asked. Spike turned to her and smiled.

"Actually, I was gonna ask if I could join you." He said, surprising Dash, but making her happy all the same.

"Sure, but what made you change your mind?" Dash asked, narrowing her eyes, wondering how he'd respond.

"You know, you were interested in my comics and kept me company while I read them. So it's only fair if I return the favor." Spike said, taking a seat near her. Dash smiled widely at him.

"Alright, I know how tired you are of reading books. But I will make sure this will be the most perfect book you've ever read." Dash said, hoping that he'd become more interested in books if she let him read with her.

"Really? That's great Dash." Spike leaned over and looked at the first page of the book. "Daring Do has become trapped in the topical jungle and..." Spike began to read with Dash next to him, starting on the first page of the book like when she had been in the hopsital.

As they both continued to read, Spike become more invested in the story. One pegasus with a broken wing trapped in a tropical jungle being surrounded by a tiger, black panther, lynx, cheetah, and, surprisingly enough, a white house cat. Spike chuckled at that part, reading to the part where Daring flees the cats and uses a vine to swing across a gorge. He was surprised to read that Daring Do had found herself in front of the ancient temple.

"Woah, I can't believe she found the lost temple." Spike exclaimed, Rainbow Dash smirked and simply agreed with him.

"Yeah, I had the exact same reaction when I was stuck reading this in the hospital." She remembered when she found herself actually liking the book and reading it day and night.

"Okay, turn the page, I need to know what happens next." Spike quikcly put his claw on one of the corners and turned the page while Dash held the other side with her hoof.

The book was something Spike didn't quite understand. He didn't like to read books, yet he found this one fun to read. He imagined Daring Do attempting to bypass the traps but still hitting them either way, imagining her facehoofing herself and using her hat to avoid arrows and darts. Finally, the moment of glory came. She was face to face with the legendary sapphire statue, she still needed to complete one last puzzle before being able to grab the statue. Spike held his breath as Daring Do solved the puzzle, stepping on the rat tiles and managing to bypass the trap. He let his breath out seeing she had to correct the solution, but looked over to Dash who was giggling.

"What?" Spike asked, seeing her trying to hold in her laughter.

"Nothing, you'll see later." Dash rolled her eyes, looking back to the book as they continued to read.

She was finally in front of the sapphire statue and trying to find a way to grab it without activating the pressure plate underneath of it. Her hooves were shaking violently as she let out slow collected breaths, attempting to calm herself down. She ended up taking the statue in her mouth, without realizing she had just activated the trap. The temple was crumbling all around her and lava was begging to rise from the floor, cutting off her escape route. Spike realized if he were in that situation, he could just swim through the lava. Spikes' heart beat faster and faster, hoping she'd find a way out. Daring Do finally made her escape, air pressure launching her high into the sky and having her fall onto the floor of the jungle. Not five seconds later did Ahuizotl appear in front of her, stealing the statue from her, calling the wild cats from before to surround her.

"Oh come on, what in the name of Tartarus is this?! Where did he even come from?! She literally just escaped from near death and he appears from nowhere and catches her?!" Spike shouted, causing Dash to burst out laughing, making Spike lose his position. "Sorry, I'm just. A bit surprised is all."

"Don't worry, Spike. I won't tell Twilight you practically shouted right into my ear." She turned her attention back to the book and continued to read.

Daring Do had become trapped in another room, she didn't have much of a chance at escaping this time, but she at least had to try. Using her hat, she flung it at the perfect angle, shifting a lever connected to the wall, freeing her from the traps, sand, spiders, and snakes. She took the advantageous opportunity and stole the statue back while Ahuizotl was distracted and using a vine to escape.

After finishing the book, Dash smiled at Spike, who was gasping from the ending.

"Woah, that was incredible. Daring Do is amazing, I never imagined the library would have these kinds of books." Spike was amazed by the story they had just read together.

"Yeah, you know, Spike. I didn't like books either, many of them were super boring. But these kinds of books, with action, fantasy, and adventure. They changed my mind. I know you only read books to help Twilight, but if you need something to read when you get bored, come to me." Dash gave him a little noogie at the end.

"Thanks, Dash. You really made me feel better about today." He replied, smiling at her.

"Yeah, I know. I'm pretty awesome like that. But let me tell you this, every book of hers. Is 100% true." She told him, making Spike look at her in disbelief.

"You really expect me to believe that?"

"It's true, you can ask Twilight and the others, they'll all agree with me. But you need to keep this a secret." Spike rolled his eyes but decided to humor her.

"Alright, you can count on me, I won't tell anypony that Daring Do is real. Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye." He performed the motions associated with the Pinkie Promise.