• Published 11th Dec 2016
  • 571 Views, 7 Comments

Rubie Red - Rubie_Red



A story of a stallion who had been caged up for many years by no pony other than Sombra. However, when he is released he will find his *true* purpose.

  • ...
3
 7
 571

1 Caged From Life

"Have you ever been outside and just taken in the brilliance of nature? By that I mean have you ever just watched the waves of the ocean, or seen the petals of flowers dance in the wind? Have you ever just watched parts of nature and think *Wow. That exists in our world, and it makes Equestria seem like a better place to live in.* If you haven't then I can understand. You've lived with nature, probably for your whole life. Even if you're in the city. However...what if, up to this current moment, that you didn't know that anything like that existed? You didn't know about trees, or wind, or flowers, or oceans. What if you didn't know anything like that existed? Would Equestria still be beautiful?"

Deep in the icy terrain of the Arctic North, an enormous mountain stood tall and high, concealed in a blanket of snow. Near the base of the mountain was a small opening, in this small opening was a stone path, and at the end of this stone path was a curtain. What was behind this curtain? A cage. In this cage was Rubie Red himself. A black bodied stallion. He had a red tail and a light grey mane. There was one thing that made this pony stand out however, and that was his mask. As red as rubies, and strangely, unable to take off. As the sun began to awake from its slumber, a new day began. All creatures of the land began to get on with their day, except for Rubie Red. Instead of the sunlight, he was awoken by a loud clash from the steel bars of his cage. The loud clash made Rubie glitch up from his slumber, gasping for breath as if he was suffocating in his sleep. Rubie knew he was in the presence of another stallion. He knew this because he could hear a cocky grin that sounded very familiar. Rubie didn't need to look to know who it was. It was the only pony he ever knew, his imprisoner. A rather large stallion, one with a dull grey body, equipped with steel armour on his chest and hoofs. His back covered by a red coat. A mane and tail as dark as his soul. His teeth set with two sharp, skin tearing fangs. This stallion was filled with evil spirit. This stallion's name was Sombra.

"Oh, come now Rubie. I would have expected better from you. You're still a stupid child if you're afraid of a bump in the night."

Sombra said after his grin. Rubie was neither irritated or amused. Instead the masked stallion simply turned away from his imprisoner, laying back on his pile of hay. He had lived with too many insults that he didn't seem to feel any mental damage anymore. Rubie would not dare to say a word to him. When seeing that Rubie was not reacting at all, Sombra decided to try something different.

"Well, it's merely necessary for you to know that today would be known as your birthday."

No movement was seen from the caged stallion. Rubie didn't even know what a birthday was. Sombra grinned, preparing to see Rubies reaction.

"Which means I am going to tell you a little secret, one you should know. I'm going to tell you what happened to your parents."

It was at this moment, Rubie jumped up. He glared at Sombra. His eyes wide and filled with desire to know. His expression was immensely tense. The stallions breathing began to speed up. Rubie could feel his heart beat in his head and a pain in his chest, as if Sombra himself was clutching Rubies heart tight. This is exactly what Sombra wanted, to find endless opportunities to hurt the masked stallion. Sombra grew a smile, having Rubies attention.

"Oh? You want to know so badly? You think knowing will redeem you? Do you feel it in your chest? An empty void, causing a vast rift of envy to swarm over you? Well then, here's your answer. Are you ready to know? Are you sure? Very well then. Your parents? Your parents never loved you. They were ashamed of what you were. They handed you to me, and seemed very relieved to be rid of you."

The room was silent. Rubie was silent, and still, as if not even alive. He didn't dare to move, as if one slight movement would break him apart. Suddenly, he collapsed in front of his imprisoner. He was trying his very best not to cry. However, it turned sour. Rubie was trying his best not to vomit from the immense guilt swirling around in his stomach. His nose began to drip as he was desperately holding his emotions inside. He looked like he was about to explode. Rubies entire body was shivering and he was becoming light headed. Suddenly Rubie gasped for breath. HIs head lowered, and he stared at the ground, seeing his own tears drop to the dirty rocks below him. Seeing that Rubie caught his breath, Sombra believed that Rubie would be able to listen at this point.

"Do you see? Do you understand now, why you are here? I'm protecting you."

Sombras cocky smile disappeared as he approached closer to the bars of the cage. He was casting a shadow over Rubie as a form of intimidation.

"There is nothing left out there. No life, Nopony, nothing. I took you here so you were safe, get that through your thick skull".

The mentally crippled stallion did not answer, but Sombra could see that he had accepted that, by watching his tears fall. The silence in the room lasted for a long time until it was broken by the sound of rustling and muffled screams. Rubies ears twitched to the sounds.
“Ah yes, I almost forgot “

Sombra said sounding generous

“What I have stated is true, we have to survive whatever the cost. Food is scarce around here. You're lucky that I could serve you your scraps of bread and sips of water. Now that It's your birthday, I have a present for you.“

The big stallion moved away from the cage before approaching again at the cage door. His horn was glowing and next to him was a big, floating, tied up bag. Rubie found the courage to gently look up at the cage door where Sombra was standing. Using his magic, Sombra opened the door of the cage. A loud high pitch creaking sound was made as the door slowly opened for Sombra. Rubie could of ran out at any second while the door was open. However, he felt that leaving his cage wold be absolutely pointless. He believed that there was nothing out there because he had never seen any proof. The dark masked stallion backed away from the door as the bag floated in front of it. Something was wriggling around inside it.

“Happy birthday Rubie"

Sombra stated before throwing the big bag directly at Rubie. The bag bashed Rubie's side, causing him to be thrown off the ground by the powerful throw and hit the cage's rusty bars. He fell to the ground laying next to the huge bag, feeling helpless.

"Enjoy your present while it lasts, boy."

Sombra grinned before turning into black smoke and disappearing into thin air.

*He will be ready to do this. After all he has gone through he will surely be reduced to a mental state like no other. *

Said the voice in Sombras mind. The masked stallion lay still where he had landed, next to the big bag. His ears had dropped, along with his mental stability. His eyes would not stop leaking. He felt mentally crippled and clouded by a thick blanket of sorrow. There was a storm brewing in the masked stallions head. A lethal and incredibly devastating storm. Rubie felt anger building up inside him. He wanted to hurt, he wanted to do bad things. Then a whimper came from the bag. That was Rubies answer. Whatever was in this bag was the cure to his rage. Without a notice, Rubies teeth gripped at the bag and teared it open. Suddenly Rubies anger sunk. Looking down into the bag was something Rubie found very peculiar, something he'd never seen before. It was the face of a mare. A Pegasus. Her eyes were shut and streaming with tears. Rubie took notice of her fur coat. Unlike himself and Sombra, her fur coat was a vibrant light blue. Her mane and tail was bright indigo and her eyes were green, bright, shiny emerald green. The colours and vibrancy made Rubies anger sink down and disappear into nothing. What he was looking at seemed just too innocent.

The mare gently and slowly opened her eyes. Her tears blurred her vision for a few seconds before they focused. She then saw that she was staring straight up at the dark stallion with the blood red mask. She gasped and her breathing could now be heard. She was very nervous at first site and was very uneasy about the mask stallion who was staring right at her. There was a moment of silence. Rubies head began to calm down and soothe at the bright colours. As if there was a heavenly voice in his head singing a lullaby to the angered monster inside his head. After a few seconds the mare spoke.

"A.....A-Are....a-are y-y-you going t-to hurt m-me...?"

Rubie shook his head to get out of his trance and quickly shook her head to her question. He then took a few steps back and sat down to give her some space. The mare slowly climbed out of the bag she was brought in. Rubie could see that her movements were quite shaky and slowly. He could tell that she was very scared. The black stallion stayed exactly where he was while he waited patiently for the mare to climb out. When she climbed out she sat on her bag and glanced around the cage, trembling.

"Where..............where am I....? Wh-where are we......?"

The mare asked quietly. Before answering her question Rubie slowly approached her. When she saw this she quietly squeaked and backed up a bit

"S-stop p-p-please!!"

The stallion did exactly what she said. His face dropped down a little

"I.......I.........I-I.....I guess your in.........S-Sombras........cage......."

The mare's face was lost in confusion for a few moments until she completely realized and took in what he had said.

".........Wh-what...? y..... yo-you.....n-no....w-we can't be........we just can’t........w-we.........I-I......" She could not hold it in. She let out her tears once again, this time sobbing loudly and almost uncontrollable. "WHY ME!! WHY DID I HAVE TO END UP LIKE THIS!! I CAN'T STAY HERE I HAVE A FAMILY!! I HAVE A HOME I HAVE A LIFE OUT THERE IN THE LAND!!!! I WANNA GET OUT I WANNA GET OUT I WANNA GET OUT!!!!"

The mare covered her face with her hoofs, creating a small puddle of tears. Her screaming words latched into Rubies head. What she had just said was something that Rubie could of never imagined. Something that he thought didn't exist. His eyes widened as he started going through his thoughts and memories. He remembered everything Sombra had told him. Nothing was out there, nopony, nothing, but this breaks everything he has said. He could feel his heart beat in his head. He could feel his head swirling and dizziness swarming over him until suddenly, it was all stopped by the sound of two words.

"Break it".

Rubie gasped for breath and suddenly looked to where the voice had come from. In front of the masked stallion was a very dark pony. Almost like a complete shadow. The dark pony slowly walked closer to Rubie. The masked stallion stood still, since he knew he had nowhere to go. After a few steps the dark pony suddenly jumped at Rubie, and phased right into his body. Rubie didn't seem to even flinch, however he heard a voice in his head. A voice that said two words.

"Break It".

The black stallion found himself staring at the caged door. His anger began to build up once again. The storm was brewing. The monster was growing and the voice was controlling it and putting it in the right direction. As Rubies anger grew he began to growl. The voice in his head got louder.

"break it break it break it break it breakitbreakitbreakitbreakitBREAKITBREAKITBREAKITBREAKIT NOW!"

Suddenly Rubie charged straight at the caged door. His mask bashed right on the hinges of the gate. The hinges were damaged but not destroyed. This was his chance, Rubie could do this. Without hesitation and putting his mental pain to use to ignore the physical pain, he repeatedly started bashing the gate with his mask. Each bash was loud and strong. The stallion filled with manifesting determination kept on going and going and going. The stallion went on going for ages. His bashes turned into charges that grew stronger and longer. Rubie could see, the first hinge was off. He was so close to destroying the other one. His sweat fell. He took a deep breath and grinded his teeth. He lined up his charge from the other side of the cage. He let out a grunt before charging as hard as he could, shutting his eyes tight. He felt his skull collide with the rusty metal gate. After his collision, he opened his eyes. For a few seconds, he waited before suddenly, finally, the gate fell. The cage was open and Rubie could now escape into the real world. However, before Rubie could take another step, he felt a strong sense of dizziness and exhaustion come over him. The masked stallion stumbled a little left and right before falling over. However before he could hit the ground, Rubie felt a strong force push him back up slowly to his hoofs. Rubies vision was blurry for a few seconds due to the dizziness however his eyes suddenly focused to see the Pegasus supporting him up. All Rubie could do was smile at her as he caught his breath.

"You are one crazy stallion......thank you"

She said quietly. Rubie could feel a wing over his back.

"Hope......my name is Hope..."

Rubies smile grew with joy.

"I-I... I’m Rubie Red..."

The stallion gently pushed off of Hope on to his own four hoofs and shook his head. His eyes locked on to a rusty metal door.

"Alright...........................................let’s get out......"