• Published 11th Dec 2016
  • 571 Views, 7 Comments

Rubie Red - Rubie_Red



A story of a stallion who had been caged up for many years by no pony other than Sombra. However, when he is released he will find his *true* purpose.

  • ...
3
 7
 571

7 What Do I Like?

The journey back to Ponyville felt long and tiresome, but Rubie had plenty of trees and flowers to distract him along the way. Sheath was keeping an eye on him, just in case he was going to vomit again. Despite the long journey, there was an atmosphere of comfort, and peace. About halfway back, the sounds of birds tweeting and chirping surrounded the two ponies. Rubie’s ears twitched as he looked up into the trees, trying to spot a bird on a branch, but saw only leaves. Not being able to locate the sources of the tweets, the masked stallion closed his eyes, enjoying the bird’s sweet melodies. Sheath noticed that Rubie’s eyes were shut while the two of them were trotting. Sheath opened his mouth, but no words came out. He felt that it was rude to disturb Rubie’s peace, especially since he was almost dead a few minutes ago. Sheath’s mouth shut. The two stallions stayed silent, enjoying the natural beauty around them as they kept on trotting.

The two stallions finally came across the edge of the forest. Slowly trotting out from the sea of trees, they were once again greeted by the streets of Ponyville. There was a lower consistency of Ponies out and about now, and the sun was setting behind the trees and houses in the distance. The atmosphere just felt right for the time of day. Rubie and Sheath both gave a sigh of relief, seeing themselves back in civilization.

“Well Sheath, it felt good and all to have a casual walk in the woods, but I’m just happy to be back in Ponyville”

“Believe me I feel the same way. Seriously though, are you sure you’re ok? It’s not everyday something that chaotic happens”

“I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be just fine. Nothing feels broken and I don’t feel any more sick coming up”

“That’s a relief to hear. It’s been fun hanging around but I-…wait a second, you said you wanted a job, right?”

“Yeah, I guess I did say that. Why?”

“Well, what do you like?”

“Wh-what do I like…?”

“Yeah, what do you like? What are you into?”

“U-uuuhh…”

The masked stallion just stood there with a puzzled expression. Rubie didn’t really know what he liked. He hadn’t had time to think about it. He didn’t just want to say *friends* because to him that felt a little awkward. Before Rubie could come up with an answer, everything around him froze. Luckily Rubie’s voice of guidance, that was in his head, had come to his aid once again.

“Hello again”

“Oh! Hey Hodsaw! You could not have picked a better time to drop in!”

“Hehe, thank you very much. Now then, you seem to be having trouble.”

“Well…it’s just I don’t know what I like. I mean yesterday I was in a cage, just like every other day before that! What am I supposed to say!? I like cages!? Cus I sure don’t!”

“Ok ok Rubie, calm down, this is nothing that should cause you to vomit again…”

“Right right…sorry…”

“So Rubie, I know that you hate cages, or the feeling of being caged. However, what about the opposite of that?”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“What about being outside? Being outside where you’re not alone, and where there are endless places to discover, and new things to uncover.”

Rubie began to smile at the sound of Hodsaw’s words.

“Wow. You know what? That does sound good.”

“Well there you have it. You like being outside. You like being with other ponies and you also like natural things, like trees and flowers and ponds.”

“Wow, Hodsaw you make this sound so easy to do…how do you do it?

“hehe, well I have my ways. Let’s just put it at that. Now, shall I resume your scenario?”

Rubie gave a nod, and then everything around him began to flow through time once again. Sheath was standing in front of Rubie, waiting for the stallion to speak up.

“Well…I like…I like being outside.”

The masked stallion turned his head back to the forest, looking up at the trees, seeing the leaves gently dance in the wind.

“I like being around natural beauties, and spending my time out where there’s plenty of space. Nothing that makes me feel…caged. I even like the simplest things nature has created, like trees, and bushes, and ponds, and flowers. I’ll find myself just looking at them, analysing them and just thinking wow, what a masterpiece.”

Sheath tilted his head a little, his ears twitched slightly as he listened to Rubie’s answer. After Rubie had finished speaking, Sheath’s eyes drew down to the ground, as he was in a state of thinking. It took a few seconds before Sheath’s head finally shot up with an idea.

“I got it!”

Rubie turned his head back swiftly to Sheath.

“Huh!? Got what!?”

“well…it’s a bit of a long shot, but we can try.”

“Try what!? Sheath what are you talking about!?”

“Just follow me, I’ll explain when we get there.”

“O-o…k?”

Sheath began to trot into the town of Ponyville. Rubie stood for a few seconds, wondering what Sheath was thinking. He then thought of a question that he should of asked Sheath a while ago. With that in mind, the stallion took off and caught up with the blue unicorn in front of him.

“Hey Sheath, I gotta ask something.”

“If it’s about my idea, you’re just gonna have to wait.”

“Oh no no. It has nothing to do with that.”

“Oh. Well then ask away.”

Before asking his question, Rubie turned his head back and forth. He could see a few ponies giving him glares once again. Some looked irritated and some looked uncomfortable.

“What…Sheath does my mask make you feel uncomfortable…?”

“Huh? No, why would it? It’s just a mask, just something that covers your face. It’s not like its anything to worry about. I mean you seem like a nice young lad. Why would there be a need to worry about what’s on the outside?”

“R-Really? But doesn’t it seem…a little weird?”

Sheath tried to contain a little giggle, but failed in doing so.
“Hehe, believe me, you’re nothing compared to the weird I’ve seen.”

“Oh really huh? Do tell.”

“Discord”

“Huh? What?”

“Discord? you know, the lord of chaos?”

“Doesn’t ring a bell.”

“Wow, you may be a nice lad but you really are uneducated.”

“Oh shut up.”

Rubie gave Sheath’s shoulder a playful shove with his hoof, leading both the stallions to laugh. Sheath turned his head to Rubie while they trotted.

“But seriously though. Some of the stuff he does isn’t just crazy, it’s illogical! If you can think of anything that seems impossible, he can definitely make it possible”

“Wait…could he be listening to us right now…?”

Rubie asked, sounding a little nervous.

“Well…I suppose, but I wouldn’t worry about it. He used to be evil, but thanks to Fluttershy, a mare Pegasus that holds the element of kindness, the lord of chaos was reformed and is now on our side, and thank goodness that he is”

“Wow…that sounds like a mythical legend when you think about it.”

“Yeah…I guess it does, but it doesn’t really feel like a legend when both Fluttershy and Discord currently live in Ponyville right now.”

“What!? Seriously!?”

“Hehe, I know It’s hard to wrap your head around it, but it’s the truth.”

“That’s…incredible. The more I learn about Ponyville, the more I love it.”

“heh, you know, apart from my daughter, you’re probably one of the most enthusiastic stallions I know.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment. Also, are we there yet?”

Sheath suddenly stopped and smiled. Him and Rubie were now on the edge of Ponyville on a downhill slope.

“Have a look for yourself”

He then pointed his hoof in front of him. Rubie took one look at the stallion’s hoof before looking to where it pointed. His ears twitched while his eyes took in what he could see. Ahead, Rubie could see a big red barn. However, it wasn’t just any old barn. It seemed to have additional rooms. Maybe some bedrooms and a kitchen perhaps. To the left of the big red barn was endless fields of corn, carrots, lettuce and other vegetables. Rubie could also see that to the right of the barn was probably over a thousand apple trees. From what Rubie could see, it was like staring at a forest that touched the very edge of Equestria. The masked stallion found himself slowly stepping towards the barn, as it attracted him.

“…wow…this place…It’s…It’s beautiful…so vast…and gorgeous…what is this place…?”

“I’d thought you’d ask that. Well this popular farm is known as Sweet Apple Acres. Everyone in the Apple family works on this farm.”

“Wait…y-you want me to…request some form of work there…?”

“Yep, that’s exactly what I want you to do.”

Sheath replied with a smile. However, Rubie’s eyes drew to the ground and his ears fell back. This confused Sheath a little bit, so he patted Rubie’s back and asked

“You alright boy? Thinking it might be too much work for ya on the farm?”

“N-no…It’s just…what if they don’t like me…? What if they don’t want me because they think I look creepy…?”

“Oh come on Rubie. Trust me you shouldn’t be so hard on yourself. If Discord, the Lord of Chaos, can fit into Ponyville, then I’m certain that you can too.”

“hmm…well, when you put it that way…I’ll give it a try”

“That’s the spirit, I’ll be with you, but don’t expect me to do the talking alright?”
“Yeah…alright”

Rubie raised his head back up and took in a deep breath, staring right at the barn. He exhaled slowly, keeping his eyesight on the barn.

“Let’s go..”

He said calmly. He began to trot once again, however, his pace was slower than before. Despite it being slower, Sheath went at the same pace as Rubie. A few minutes went by before the two of them found themselves passing under a bush in the shape of an arch. Rubie’s eyes seemed glued to it for a few seconds. Passing the arch bush, both stallions stopped. Sheath and Rubie saw that the only thing between them and the barn was a small dirt path. Rubie began to breath heavily through his nose. Hearing his breaths, Sheath looked at Rubie.

“You still ok Rubie”

“If I’m being completely honest…my heart is pounding”

“Hehehehe”

“Hey what’s so funny!?”

“You can handle almost being killed by a giant, metal snake but you’re scared to ask for some work?”

“Sh-shut up! …I-I…they’re two different things!”

Sheath laughed for a few seconds before collecting himself again.

“Don’t worry Rubie. Trust me you’re gonna be fine.”

“Right…sooo who do I even talk to?”

“I’d say Granny Smith. She pretty much runs the place. She’s a green mare, quite old, not being rude.”

“Ok…”

“Since we haven’t seen anypony on the fields, I’m guessing that they’re all in the barn.”

“Wait…before we ask…how many ponies are on the farm?”

“Oh? There’s four. There’s Granny Smith that I just mentioned. There’s Big Macintosh, a pretty strong and hardworking stallion. He ain’t much of a talker though. Then there’s Applejack. Also strong and a hardworking mare. She’s probably the best bucker that Equestria has ever seen. She’s also the holder of the element of honesty.”

“Wait wait wait, what do you mean by that? You said something about Fluttershy being the holder for the element of kindness as well, but what does that even mean?”

“Rubie, that’s a question for another day.”

“Right, right…”

“So as I was saying, the last Apple is Applejack’s and Big Mac’s little sister, Applebloom. She helps with what she can, but she seems to have found her place in a little guild with her two other friends, but I won’t blabber on about that. You gotta get up there and do this thing.”

“Ok…ok I got this.”

Rubie began to trot closer and closer to the barn. He passed a few small coops with chickens resting out on the dirt along the way. The masked stallion could feel his heart in his chest and hear it in his head. He was about halfway to the barn, not even realizing that Sheath was not following him. Sheath wanted to see Rubie do it all by himself. Rubie felt nervous and anxious but he found that the chirps from the distant birds in the trees kept him calm. Finally, Rubie found himself in front of the big red doors of the barn. He stared at the red wood, analysing each small crack that showed inside. From what Rubie could see from the cracks, there was a glowing light coming from the left of the barn. This made Rubie know that at least somepony was inside. Without anything else to do, Rubie took a deep breath to mentally prepare himself. He raised his right hoof carefully off the dirt, and gave the big doors three knocks. Silence. Rubie waited at the large doors, waiting for one of those them to creak open. However, everything was quiet. Since it seemed that he was not going to get a response, Rubie lifted his right hoof once again. Before he could knock again however, the left barn door began to slowly creek open. The masked stallion swiftly lowered his hoof as he heard the low creak of the door. Rubie stared at the opening of the door while it was slightly ajar. He couldn’t really see anything, besides the inner wall. However, a pair of grassy green eyes peeked out and made contact with his. This made Rubie jump a little bit, but it was barely noticeable unless you were paying attention. As the door opened even further, Rubie could make out the rest of the mare. Her body was a bright orange. She had a blonde mane with a ponytail, as well as a blonde tail. She also wore a light brown hat. Her head tilted at the sight of the dark, masked stallion, who seemed to look mildly uneasy. She spoke calmly, despite feeling slightly uncomfortable about the stallion’s appearance.

“Uhh…can ah help you with anythang mister?”

With pressure taking over, Rubie almost forgot to respond to the mare.

“…Y-yeah yeah umm…would Granny Smith h-happen to be around by any chance?”

“Oh, sure thang. Just stay put and ah’ll get her for ya.”
The barn door suddenly closed on Rubie, leaving him just looking at the barn doors once again. Rubie turned his head up to the sky as he waited. It was almost twilight, so the sky was a warm shade of orange. Everything felt still, as if time wasn’t even flowing. The warm colours above the stallion brought along a feel of comfort. His behaviour seemed to become less uncomfortable. Once again, the barn door creaked open. However, this time it opened all the way, revealing a green elderly mare that fit the description of Granny Smith.

“yeess? What can ah help you with young fellow?”

Rubie rubbed his front left hoof in the dirt and scraped his back right hoof a little.

“I uuhh…yeah umm…I…”

“C’mon son, spit it out!”

“W-well…I was just…wondering if…well if I could…possibly find some work to do here…like on the farm…”

Granny Smith’s ears perked up from hearing Rubie’s request. She didn’t think that he would ask for work, mostly because nopony had ever asked before. Everypony who worked on the farm was family, so this was completely new for Granny Smith to think about. The two ponies just stood in front of each other. Granny Smith was trying to think about what to say and eventually came up with a response.

“Well…uuhh…ah have to be honest son, we never really expected anypony to ask for work here really.”

Rubie’s ears began to lower slowly, along with his head.

“Hold on, don’t look so glump boy. Ah never said we couldn’t fix something up for ya…ah’ll have to think about it though. This is a first time we’ve had a pony ask for work here, so ah’ll have to think about how this’ll work. Ah promises that we’ll look into it.”

Rubie nodded, looking a little excited. Granny Smith tilted her head a little to his reaction.

“But…son, are ya sure that ya really wanna work someplace like this? This ain’t just a scratching the surface kinda deal. Sweet Apple Acres is about the hard work that goes into our products. Is real hard work what you want?”

“If it’s hard work on a beautiful place such as this, then yes, it is.”

Rubie’s can-do attitude made Granny Smith smile a little. His voice may have been calm, but Granny Smith could sense the vast motivation laying beneath.

“Very well mister…uhh, sarry but what is yer name?”

“Oh, it’s Rubie. Rubie Red.”

“Ah kay Rubie, tomorrow ah’m gonna need ya to come back to this spot tomorrow at about 5:45am. We’ll decide what you should do from then on. Ah would suggest getting some sleep as soon as possible.”

“Understood, 5:45 am. Thank you so much!”

“You’re sure welcome, by the way, ah got one last question for ya.”

“Hmmm?”

“How are ya at bucking?”

“H-huh..?”

“Ya know, where ya hit a tree with ya two back hooves hard enough for the apples to come dropping down like raindrops?”

“O-oh…well…I don’t really know…”

“Hmm…if ya happen to pass a tree somewhere near where ya live, ya might wanna practice bucking there, but don’t be out for too long ya hear me?”

“I got ya, I’ll see you tomorrow”

Rubie gave a nod with a warm smile. Granny gave a smile back and headed back inside the barn. Rubie stood still for a moment, staring a little downwards. The thought of having a job on this beautiful, gorgeous, truly magnificent farm began to flow through his head. The smile on the stallion’s face grew bigger and wider. He began to giggle a little to himself in excitement.

“I-I’m..I…wow.”

He looked up at Sheath, who was still behind him on the dirt path. Rubie rushed to him, the big smile sticking to his face. Sheath grinned at his smile. He could tell that It was good news. The masked stallion skidded a little on the dirt in front of Sheath.

“Sheath! I think I got it!”

“Hehe, I knew that you could, you’re a brave lad you are.”

“Hehe…thanks, hey do you wanna hang out a little bit more?”

“I’m sorry Rubie, I can’t. I have a train to catch.”

“O-ohh…o-ok. I-I’ll see you again though…right?

“DUUHH!! Of course! I’m not just gonna make a new friend and then never see them again, am I?”

Sheath’s horn began to glow with magic, and in front of the grey stallion, a copper stopwatch appeared. It floated in front of him as he analysed the ticking hands. 9:00pm.

“Oh gosh! Sorry Rubie but I gotta dash!”

“No no it’s fine, go ahead.”

“Thanks for understanding. I’ll be able to see ya in two days alright? At about lunch time I promise.”

“I got it Sheath. Go on and get that train.”

Sheath nodded at Rubie. The floating stopwatch disappeared in a little flash of light and the glow on Sheath’s horn vanished. He turned around and dashed off back into Ponyville, leaving Rubie on the dirt path by himself with the cool breeze blowing through his mane. The masked stallion’s eyes glued on to Sheath until he went behind a few small buildings in Ponyville. Rubie took one last look at the big red barn that stood in front of him. The site made Rubie smile.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, hehe…gosh I really can’t wait. I really didn’t think I would be aloud work. Ok then, I gotta head back home.”

With that, the joyful stallion turned back around. With a flick of his tail, he began to trot back home. While he trotted happily back to his house, two mares were leaning on the wooden bar of the top window of the big red barn, watching him. Applejack and Granny Smith. Both mares had mixed emotions about bringing the stallion on to the farm for work. When Rubie was just a dot in the distance, Applejack turned her head to Granny Smith.

“Granny…are ya sure that it’s a good idea to let em work here on the farm? Ah mean, he knows what he’s gettin himself into right?”

“Ah believe he knows. Ah asked him as, clear as day, about it and he said, and ah quote, if it’s hard work on a beautiful place such as this, then yes, ah’ll work here.”

“Aww, that’s kinda sweet of him.”

“M’yea…”

“So, what are ya planning on doing with him?”

“Weeelll…the apples in the acres seem to be at the perfect time to be bucked, so ah think he should come and join you and Big Mac on gathering em all up.”

This made Applejacks stomach churn a little. She felt that a new worker should be given some kind of taster.

“A-are ya sure that’s a good idea? Granny, it’ll be his first time on Sweet Apple Acres, and ya wanna give him a tiresome job like that!? Ah mean…shouldn’t ya give him some kinda…taster? Like something easier first?”

“Why in Equestria would I wanna give him something easier first? He either does it or he doesn’t. If he’s gonna work here then he needs to know how to do it the Apple way. Ya give it all ya got and put everything ya got to what ya work for.”

“Ah...s’pose that makes sense…”

“Besides, I could see the determination in him. There was so much ah could practically see it emanate off that red mask of his.”

“Yeah…about that…don’t ya find it weird?”

“What do ya mean dear?”

“About that mask. Why do ya think he wears it?”

“Ah honestly aint sure Applejack.”

“Did ya see his eyes as well? The outer part of them were…black…”

Granny Smith could tell that Applejack felt uncomfortable about letting Rubie work on the farm. She put her green hoof around Applejack’s back and gave it a gentle rub.

“Yes, yes I saw them, but just cus he looks a little different doesn’t mean he’s bad news dear. Just cus somepony looks a little different, or likes to look different, doesn’t make em a bad person. Now am I right or am I Right?”

Applejack gave a little giggle in response.

“Yeah, you’re right Granny, as usual.”

“Good, now, get some rest. You’re gonna need it for tomorrow?”

“Sure thang.”

With that, Applejack took her hoofs off the wooden bar and headed for her room to catch some sleep. Granny watched as Applejack left, yawning along the way. The green mare’s head turned back to the window. The sky was getting slightly darker. There was still a little bit of light however. There was a calm breeze in the air as Granny leaned out the window. With that, she took her hoofs off the wooden bar of the window and went to catch some sleep.

As the sun slipped beneath the edge of Equestria, Rubie drew closer to his home. The masked stallion felt that he’d had a long day, which was evident by his long yawn. After his massive yawn, Rubie found himself approaching his front door. However, before Rubie decided to head inside to sleep, he noticed a big oak tree behind his house.

“huh…well Granny did say I should practice, and if she runs Sweet Apple Acres then who am I to disagree?”

He trotted through the gap between the right side of his house and the wooden fence. Approaching the tree slowly, Rubie’s eyes began to analyse each branch, from top to bottom. The tree gave off a quiet rustling sound as the high breeze blew through its leaves.

“Ok, so buck it with my back hoofs. Oh boy, this is gonna be awkward if somepony sees.”

With that, the stallion turned his backside to the tree. He looked back at it and began to reverse towards it. He stopped when the tree was about 40cm away from his back hoofs.

“So…I guess I push my legs up in the air and just kinda jab. Ok, seems simple enough.”

Rubie turned his head away and focused his eyes on the ground. He shut his eyes, took a deep breath and pushed his back legs up in the air. Before he could buck the tree his front hooves suddenly lost their balance, and the stallion fell face first on the grass.

“O-ooww! …ok it’s ok, just get up and try again.”

Rubie pushed himself up back on to his four hoofs, positioning his rump in line with the tree. This time he backed up closer and his back hooves began to climb up the tree.

“Maybe if I start with my hooves on the tree? Just to make sure I can keep my balance.”

He pushed his back hoofs off the tree lightly. Rubie remembered to keep his balance this time. His back hooves then successfully bucked the tree while Rubie let out a little grunt. The tree gave a little rustle in response. Rubie quickly lowered his back hoofs and looked up. Not a single leaf fell. The stallion’s ears fell back.

“N-not even one?”

Rubie began to feel both worried and irritated. He huffed, trotting away from the tree and sat down, leaning his back on the wall of his house. He stared at the oak tree and sighed, dropping his head a few seconds after.

“What am I gonna do? I really wanna work on that farm, but if I can’t buck a single leaf then I’m doomed.”

“Who said that bucking was your only option?”

A familiar voice questioned. Rubie didn’t seemed too surprised to hear Hodsaw again.

“What? Hodsaw I don’t understand what you mean.”

“Look at the tree again.”

“What? Why?”

“Just, look”

Rubie lifted his head back up to see the tree. His ears perked back up and he gasped.

“Wh-wha…h-how?”

The masked stallion could see his cage door directly in front of the tree. He understood what Hodsaw wanted him to do.

“break it”

Rubie whispered to himself. He then stood back up, making sure his face was in line with the tree. He lowered his head and leaned his rump against the wall. He took a deep breath, not taking his eyes off the tree. He didn’t even blink. Suddenly he charged at the tree and bashed it with his mask. He shut his eyes and let out a loud grunt when his head and the tree collided. When Rubie opened his eyes, he was surprised to see that he was surrounded by a circle of leaves. His face grew a big smile, letting out a few giggles.

“W-wow, I did it. I did it!”

Rubie then jumped for joy, still giggling to himself.

“Wow Hodsaw. How did you know that would work!?”

“Sometimes you should use your previous experiences to help you out in a situation, because if you’ve done something before then you feel more comfortable and determined.”

“Well, I guess it worked this time.”

“Indeed, now you should hurry up and get to bed.”

“Yes sir.”

Rubie then rushed off to the front of his house and headed inside for the night.

Two pairs of eyes were watching him from the roof of his house. Twilight and Spike. They had been watching Rubie ever since him and Sheath had left the forest, and from then on, both Twilight and Spike felt very uncertain about Rubie’s behaviour. Spike could see that Twilight was very concentrated on Rubie, up until the last second that he entered his house.

“So, what do you make of this guy? I mean sure he acts a little odd but he hasn’t done anything that could be considered bad.”

Spike questioned. However, he did not receive an answer; Twilight was in a state of deep thought.

“Shouldn’t we send a message to Applejack about who he is? Celestia’s letter said that we could tell her, didn’t it?”

Spike asked. This time Twilight replied, but she spoke quietly.

“Yes, yes it did…”

Spike seemed rather surprised by Twilight’s current behaviour. He felt that she wasn’t usually like this at all.

“Twilight? Are you sure you’re ok? You’ve been acting like this all day after following the orders to watch over this stallion.”

“Honestly Spike…I don’t feel great about this. I don’t feel happy about keeping an eye on somepony that could possibly be evil.”

“Well, I can understand how It would get a little boring.”

“It’s not that. I just feel bad for him.”

“What? Why?”

“I just feel guilty about the fact that he’s being watched, and that he doesn’t even know it. He seems like a really friendly stallion who wouldn’t even hurt a fly.”

The Alicorn let out a little huff and dropped her head down, staring at the roof tiles.

“Honestly Spike, I’m just as confused as you.”

“But surely Celestia wouldn’t request you to do this without a good reason am I right?”

Spike asked, reassuringly. Twilight then lifted her head to Spike and nodded, giving a little smile.

“Yeah, you’re right Spike. I just have to keep telling myself that.”

“That’s great to hear. Oh yeah, should we tell AJ about him.”

“I don’t think we should, not yet. I heard she has a busy day tomorrow, and I don’t her worrying about it. We’ll watch him though, just in case something unexpected does happen. For now, I think we can leave.”

With that, Spike jumped on to Twilights back and the two of them disappeared in a flash.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment