• Published 6th Dec 2016
  • 1,289 Views, 4 Comments

Grogar: Equestria's forgotten foe - Buckeye49



You know his name, but a mere fraction his story.

  • ...
5
 4
 1,289

Chapter 1: Dark forces unite

Author's Note:

Here is hoping for my own first story away from self insert, hope it was good.

**Reference to the original voice actor for Grogar.

Edit: In light of Grogar's reference in the show I am adjusting the part where Twilight has no idea who he is.

"Seldom does actions of pure intent result without dire consequence, often when we ignore enemies we believed beaten, they come back with a vengeance..."



Tirek has been beaten hands down for the second time and sent screaming back into Tartarus Prison, a defeat like his would perhaps be lesson enough to concede defeat and for Tirek, that was what he resigned himself to do lest his next attempt cost him more dearly. But for Tirek this was once again not the end for him whether he likes it or not, fate has plans for the fallen prince as he is greeted by a shadowy figure, but only a voice is what he receives first in the dark meeting.

"Defeated again?...You are pathetic!"

"Who mocks me?! Leave me in peace so I may live my wretched existence til time ends...." Tirek weakly replied curling in a corner of his cage, his chains clink and scrape as he moved.

A dark echoing cackle responded instead to the centaur's futile request and soon more words follow...

"You misunderstand me Tirek, I come not to mock your tragic circumstance, but to offer you freedom once more; and the power you seek..." the voice hissed in a tempting tone.

"What makes you think I would take your offer?" Tirek asked not bothering to try and find the source of his guest's voice.

His reply was a startling and sudden glow of the cage of which it corroded away in seconds, next his chains also turned to rust dust...

"How did you do that??" Tirek asked in genuine amazement.

"That was merely a taste, of the power I've acquired over my time spent in hiding, deep in the shadows, in the darkest place I could find, buying time for my plans...Of conquest! Of power!"

Tirek paused as he considered his options, his new 'friend' freed him within a minute; the offer the guest was giving became more tempting the more Tirek sat there free once more.

"I'm listening..." Tirek said trying to stand after a long time being down, only to collapse.

"Allow me my starving friend~" The voice crooned as soon magic wafted toward Tirek, upon smelling the energy Tirek absorbed it like a starving animal, the power he felt was amazing! Instantly Tirek felt at least 90% his old self.

"What-...What is this power??" Tirek asked again in a more amazed tone, he was purely in awe.

"A gift, tis a mere appetizer compared to the main course~"

"Am I to understand you want Equestria as well?"

"But of course! But unlike Discord I will not be naive to give you full free range in this partnership, allying yourself with me...Comes with a price."

"And what such price do you place on this 'alliance'?" Tirek asked stepping away from the spot he stood to seek his liberator.

"The price I ask..." The voice began, still echoing off the stone walls around Tirek eliminating chance of pinpointing, "Is that of...Your soul."

"What?! You ask me for such a deal as this!? I'm no weak pony! Nor a lesser being!" Tirek thundered.

"Would you prefer I leave you here and seek out other allies?" The voice replied coolly.

Tirek was silent from that and looked in conflicted thought; what was he to do? Freedom was his and if this presence could free him with such ease, how easily could perhaps he imprison him again?

"Despite my power I still need an army so consider your answer please, and wisely...I have only one other and she is...Not enough."

Tirek took his time on this one, he wanted another chance at revenge, power, freedom; maybe it was desperation, maybe freedom tasted too good despite it being only 3 years after his crushing defeat, or it could be a buried hatred and sense of injury from the ponies who beat him.

"Join me and take revenge on the 6 who humiliated you..."

"............Deal." Tirek said at last.

"A wise decision, welcome to the 'Army..." A dark cloud appeared imposingly floating toward Tirek in a slow menacing pace, after drifting toward him it stopped 30yds from Tirek, and finally, out stepped the mystery figure hooded and bearing a black staff with a Equine skull on the top with rubies for eyes, and a snake's skeleton worming up the shaft above where he gripped it.

After walking to Tirek the figure lifted his hood revealing a goat headed figure burn burning red eyes and black, hollow pupals.

"...Of Tambelon's Hell-spawns'! The figure proclaimed.

Tirek's eyes widened as it soon dawned on him who he sold his soul over too...The Shadow Lord of Tambelon, The Dark Sovereign of the Damned....

"You.....I-I don't believe it..." Tirek said developing a what would be impossible cold sweat on the back of his neck.

"Believe it Prince Tirek, I Lord Grogar, leader and master of cursed souls, Ruler of Tambelon...I have returned..."

Meanwhile in Ponyville, Twilight and Starlight were reorganizing books in the library...Again, Starlight put up with it best she could like the helpful drake but now Starlight had a comment on this matter after returning 30 books back to their spot on the shelves.

"No offense Twilight but I see why Spike hates this task."

"Starlight you know why that happens; I reorganized whenever I remove more that 10 books at a time and if not careful put books back just for the sake of re-shelving and end up putting books out of order." Twilight explained as she flew to the highest self and inserted a book.

"Then try to be more careful then."

"With me Starlight? You know by now I am very careful, things just happen no matter how cautious you are." Twilight retorted back.

"Of course..." Starlight deadpanned as she shelved the books tossed with care into piles for later shelving, all 735 of them.

"Where did you come across these?" Starlight asked looking at books that looked out of place, which was a given since they looked very very old.

"Oh? What do you mean?"

"These here."

"Oh those! Those are from Celestia and Luna's old castle; I decided to help myself to some of them for my own collection." Twilight beamed, blushing a little as if her act was a guilty pleasure.

"That so? I'm sure the princesses have plenty to share of their past should they choose to."

"I would think they would share most of their past Starlight."

"Maybe; even they like secrets for a reason, I sure they're like everypony and they don't share their whole life's story."

"I guess so; see anything that catches your attention?"

"Nothing much but old literature, old stories, memoirs, and other no offense boring books."

"Well some books are not for everypony." Twilight said completing one level of books re-shelve; Twilight was about to start another level when...

"Whoa! Who's this guy?"

"Who you talking about Starlight?" Twilight asked floating down to see what Starlight discovered.

"I found something in what looks like a storybook."

"What's the book?"

"The title reads 'Tambelon: Kingdom of the damned'."

"Oo~ Spooky, who's the guy you talk about?"

"His name is 'Lord 'Grogar' '."

"Grogar? From the children's book about Dusty the unicorn?" Twilight asked a little amused to hear a book featuring a childish storybook villain.

"I know but this isn't a book for foals...This reads..." Starlight began, then quoting the description in the prologue.

"....*The Hircum lord of dark power and derisively nicknamed 'Fallen kin of Death's pet' or 'The Devil's pet', ruler of a domain he fashioned of the souls of damned ponies who were non-believers, heretics, or blasphemers. His goal was a micro empire colony for the fallen one's empire and his own power hungry ambitions."

*Hircum: Pronounced 'ear-coom' literally meaning goat in ancient archaic Equine, used to describe a race of bipedal goat beings.

"Woof; that's a heavy handed description and story." Twilight commented, "Who's the author?"

"The author is...Huh...It says 'Ghost Writer for: 'Alpha Phoenix' ' his name was '**Michael Bell-Clapper'."

" 'Alpha Phoenix'?" Twilight asked looking perplexed as she looked closer to see if Starlight made a mistake.

"That's what it says..."

"Who is 'Alpha Phoenix'?...." Twilight pondered.

"Why would he want a ghost writer?"

"Maybe he didn't want attention, but that name sounds like a pseudonym."

"You mean like a stage or false name?"

"Yes Starlight...It doesn't sound like any normal name so whoever it is code for must be somepony important."

"Somepony important who didn't want attention for writing this story? Why go through so much over a fiction novel?"

"....I don't know Starlight, I don't know..."

Meanwhile after Tirek and Grogar escaped Tartarus they retreated to a secluded hideout located in the Arimaspi Territory which was on the southeast corner of the continent, there Tirek meet is partner in conquest.

"You can't be serious, who is this creature?" Tirek asked in disbelief and annoyance.

"I am no 'creature'...I am a changeling, I am Queen of the Changelings 'Chrysalis'." Chrysalis hissed back in outrage for what she thought was being insulted.

"Ex-Queen, she was defeated and usurped by one of her own and allies including Discord." Grogar clarified.

"Then what ally is she if she was beaten by lowly foes?"

Chrysalis hissed loudly in reply to Tirek's remark but a single glare from Grogar silenced her.

"I will not allow in-fighting in my army, do you understand?"

"Understood Lord Grogar." Chrysalis growled reluctantly.

"Excellent; now Tirek, as per enlisting in my army, you have a form to sign as any soldier would sign." Grogar said as he in a flaming flash made a long piece of paper appear, the terms were written out but this document had a name scratched on, Chrysalis signed it as well.

Before Tirek could ask Grogar held a needle in his grasp instead of a quill.

"I find blood contracts more...Personal, then merely hexed parchment." Grogar explained as he gave the pin to Tirek.

Tirek was not fond of this idea of such control over him, in his ego and pride it forbade him from agreeing to this...But desperation won out and Tirek pricked himself and placed his bleeding finger to the spot of his choosing in which his name appeared in what would be his handwriting.

"It is done; you are now in my ranks and must obey all and every command I order."

"I don't need any explanation Grogar..." Tirek growled.

"Perfect! That saved me the trouble; now then for us to attack we must be shady and swift, Chrysalis had successfully mastered that so that is why she is on my team."

"With it refined there will be no mistakes this time, the change I made was her new horde will not only be able to change form, but have the ability to perfectly imitate their subject; with a spell I crafted they will be using the mind of their target via telepathic link, that way they have their memories, habits, mannerisms!"

"They will be perfect copies and unable to be discovered as impostors."

"A generous gift my Lord." Chrysalis chimed in genuine gratitude.

"Very promising~" Tirek crooned genuinely impressed.

"What will we do with the originals my liege?" Chrysalis asked.

"Do with them as you please, so long as they can't be a threat."

"I'll toy with them but one will be lucky I don't kill her right away..." Chrysalis growled bitterly.

"I advise caution when taking on your opponent with your emotions, your temper and impulsive nature is a weakness." Grogar warned.

"Of course." Chrysalis acknowledged.

"What part do I play here Lord Grogar?" Tirek asked showing a little concern about not hearing a role set for him.

"Ah yes, fear not Tirek I have a special assignment for you; you will lead a battalion of my legion when the time is right."

"As you wish."

"Good; now that we have our assignments, Chrysalis? What is the status of your hive?"

"I have at the moment 100 drones."

"That will be enough, don't get ahead of yourself Chrysalis." Grogar suggested.

"I won't pressure myself since there is a limit to what I can birth."

"Superb; now then, I need to plan and rest, you two get along and be acquainted so that you may learn about each other and learn to trust and work with each other." Grogar said as he retired to his chambers.

"...So..." Chrysalis began unsure what she should say to her cohort.

"What do you think about this agreement with Grogar?"

"I don't know whether to be honored or concerned."

"I feel the same..."

"Victory or defeat, we're bound by contract to him."

"Of that we have another common ground, besides having been at rock bottom."

"That is an understatement my associate, a grand understatement; we are truly an army of the damned."

TO BE CONTINUED......