• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 1,882 Views, 320 Comments

Raison D'être - mechafone



Following the tragic events of SCSD, Spark Storm must find a purpose for his life.

  • ...
4
 320
 1,882

PreviousChapters Next
5 - Back To Work

The two Pegasi ran together, pounced and wrestled each other, slipping in and out among the trees, laughing, playing. It was a scene of young love, coupled with a childhood of friendship. Their relationship would be a thing of beauty when it truly blossomed.

Celestia sighed as she watched the two friends together in the gardens. She had rarely seen two ponies so much in love. Their relationship would change very soon, all too soon. They would grow up and...well. She'd need to intervene so they didn't grow up -too- fast.

But for now, she hated the thought of sending Sapphire back to her training. She seemed to be having so much fun helping her friend find passion for life again, and it was working wonderfully. The two of them had had time to themselves for an entire week, and it was time to get Sapphire to focus on her job once again. She had volunteered for it, after all. She had a responsibility.

Sapphire made one final lunge at Spark Storm. He saw it coming, and he could have dodged, but he stood still as she collided against him, sending them both tumbling through the grass. They both laughed, hugging each other as she laid half on top of him. She looked down at him, her eyes bright and shining against the shade of the tree they were under.

There was a clearing of a throat, subtle but clear. Sapphire glanced back to see Princess Celestia with a pointed look on her face. Sapphire then noticed her that wings were standing straight on end. She pulled them down tight against her back with the deepest of blushes and faced the royal Alicorn, her eyes trained anywhere but on Celestia's gaze. "H-hello, Princess, how are you this afternoon?"

Spark Storm got to his feet, and joined Sapphire's side. Not really sure how to address the Princess, he gave a light bow, to which she smiled. "Hello, Sapphire, Spark. Now...Sapphire, I know you've enjoyed your time with your friend, but..." Sapphire sighed heavily. She knew what the Princess had come for now. Honestly, she'd thought this week would've been a lot shorter. Celestia had been kind.

"Yes, Princess. I guess I'm ready to get back to work." Spark obviously hadn't been there for the conversation about 'work'. He cast a confused look between the two. "Sapphire is training, Spark, to become a 'Fighter'. They're my secret police, you might say." Spark furrowed his brows. It couldn't be..."You don't mean...monster hunters?"

Celestia couldn't hide the look of surprise on her face. "You know of them?" Spark sighed deeply and took a few steps away from the two, his wings spreading wide. "It's why I'm here and not in Ponyville." He activated the power in his wings, sending little threads of electricity between his feathers. "...It's because I was branded as a monster. Or a monster hunter. I don't know, one of those."

He turned to see shocked looks on the two mares' faces. He cringed inwardly. Had he blown it? He had to look away in shame as Sapphire approached him. She hadn't heard the part about where he could manipulate electricity. He'd decided to leave that part out.

Spark felt her muzzle against his cheek, then practically melted as she whispered into his ear, "It's ok, Spark. I don't care." He pulled back to look into her adoring eyes. She nodded as if to confirm her statement. "Really, it's ok, sweetheart." He felt his heart flutter at the petname. She hadn't called him anything other than Spark Storm before.

Sapphire looked back at Celestia. Maybe...just maybe. Celestia seemed to get what the Pegasus was thinking. After a long moment, she addressed the two of them. "I suppose it couldn't hurt to at least let him see what we do." Sapphire jumped for joy, her wings buzzing and keeping her aloft in the air. "Oh, yes! Maybe...maybe he can be a 'Fighter'!"

Celestia chuckled at Sapphire's enthusiasm. "Maybe...but we'll need to see what he can do, first. Let's get started." Celestia took to the air. It was roll-call time.


Spark Storm sat down in the shade, watching the scene unfold before him. Sapphire Snow was standing in the center of a black circle on the ground, struggling to stand. Before her, about 20 feet away, stood an adult brown Unicorn. His mane and tail were stylish, and he had a short goatee. The most curious thing about him, though, was the color of his magic. It was black, and surrounded his horn as he held the strength of his spell around Sapphire.

The white Pegasus was struggling just to stand, as well as raise her wings. Her whole body trembled, her petite, lean muscles straining in a dead flex. Finally, she collapsed. The circle around her immediately faded, giving way to ground. The brown Unicorn moved towards her quickly. "Sapphire, you ok? You did good, you lasted five seconds longer than I thought you would!"

Sapphire laid where she was, breathing hard, her body still trembling. After a moment she stood shakily and smiled proudly. "Geez, Braham, did you up the gravity again this time?" The Unicorn known as Braham let out a laugh that shook his belly and echoed in the courtyard. "Oh, did you notice? Well, you're a growing girl, and you just proved it!" Braham glanced over at Spark Storm, his eyes dancing with amusement. "Is that your boyfriend?"

Sapphire blushed at the term. She wasn't sure she could really call him that, at least not yet. There were things they hadn't gotten around to talking about yet, and she didn't want to talk about those things. It was too soon. Braham laughed and waggled a hoof dismissively. "Forget I asked. So, do you think he'll join us, Sapphire?" At this, another Unicorn that had been watching approached. Braham rolled his eyes. Away from her so she wouldn't see, of course.

"Braham...enough. Stop meddling. You know better." The unicorn was a stern female, teal in color, with a two-toned mane and tail. Her colors were teal and turquoise. Braham sighed and shook his head as he stepped over towards Spark Storm. "Honestly, Muddy." The mare narrowed her eyes after Braham, calling, "You call me Turpid! Not Muddy!" "Yes, yes..." he called over his shoulder.

Spark stood to attention as the large, imposing stallion approached him. Braham laughed at this and gestured with a hoof to relax. "Relax, son. I won't bite. I was just wondering if you'd like to take the same test that little Snow took. It won't hurt, it's just a test of strength and endurance."

Spark nodded after a moment. "Well, it did look kind of interesting...what does your test do, and why was it so hard for her to stand?" "Well...the spell I used was gravity." Spark blinked. "Gravity?" Braham chuckled and walked back towards the center of the courtyard. "Why don't you come and see for yourself?"

Spark gulped nervously and looked over towards Sapphire and the other Unicorn. Muddy-er-Turpid watched disapprovingly, but Sapphire nodded with a big grin on her face. Secretly, Sapphire wanted to see what it looked like when Spark worked out, getting all sweaty, and...She felt a sharp tap on her shoulder, and became aware that her wings were acting up again. She pulled them closed with a snap, blushing profusely. "S-sorry, Turpid..." A cold, but slightly amused "Control yourself, child..." was returned to her.

After Spark was in position, Braham's horn lit up, this time a dark brown light surrounding his horn, different than before. "Are ya ready, kiddo?" Spark Storm nodded, and braced himself for whatever spell could've been used to stagger Sapphire. Braham closed his eyes, and his magic seemed to change. It became black. An instant later, a circle appeared around Spark, three feet in diameter. Slowly, it expanded until it surrounded him in a perfect 20 foot circle.

Then, it started. Spark could feel the earth pulling at him. Every inch of his being was being pulled to the ground. His head, his tail, his knees. And it was pulling hard. He fell down onto his belly with a grunt. He strained to get back up, his muscles pushing to resist the pull from the earth. Sapphire, Turpid, and Braham all watched in fascination as Spark stood up straight despite the gravity spell.

"A...amazing..." Braham said, breathing out slowly. He slowly increased the strength of the spell, causing Spark to wither a bit, until he straightened out again. The gears in Braham's head were turning..."Tell me, Spark...can you walk? See if you can walk out of the circle."
Turpid wanted to tell him to stop, but her own morbid curiosity told her she also wanted to see how strong the Pegasus was.

Spark grunted as he tried changing his balance. He took a step forward, then fell before catching himself. His breathing was forced now as his lungs nearly refused to work on their own, but still he pressed forward. Every movement was agony, but he worked through the pain. A full two minutes later, and he passed through the circle and collapsed on the ground, trembling from the strain.

Sapphire ran over to him and sat by his side, gently stroking his back. Turpid and Braham gave each other a silent look. This colt was definitely 'Fighter' material. "L...Liar..." Spark managed. "That hurt like hell!" The courtyard echoed with Braham's laughter.

PreviousChapters Next