• Published 3rd Dec 2016
  • 537 Views, 9 Comments

Flying Ember - Fenton



Octavia tries to help Vinyl face one of her hardest struggle.

  • ...
0
 9
 537

You and us

Octavia refused to open her eyes. The morning-call melody had been long silenced by a swift blow on the big button. The warmth of her bed sheets and the softness of her mattress was keeping her as a prisoner, a prison where she could see herself being hold for the rest of her life. Maybe not for the rest of her life, but just for the rest of the day. She hadn't anything planned today, no rehearsal, no perfomance, nothing but a full day off. But the slumber had no intention of coming back.

She turned in her bed, groaned and, finally, opened one eye to look at the clock. It was displaying a mocking 10:07. Darn it Octavia, you are better than that. She tried to shut the little voice of guilt but it was to no avail. That little voice had often been the guide she had followed both during the big and the small events in her life, and today would not be different.

She slowly rose from her bed and sat at the edge, letting the last vestige of sleep trickle from her hind legs now linked to the floor. She didn't know if it was an earth pony trick or simply the way she got used to wake up, but it was definitely helping her being an early bird the other days.

After having slipped on her robe, she went to the kitchen to make herself some tea. While the water was boiling, she opened the cupboard to take the box filled with the precious flavored leaves. She noticed that it was almost empty. She came to the same observation with the fridge. Here is one thing to do today, the groceries. But for now, there was a spot on the couch that was waiting for her.

She took small sips after small sips, enjoying the morning light coming from the window that was facing her. Sometimes, bliss can be so easy. She heard some repeated thumps coming from her roomate's room. Well, all good things must come to an end. Vinyl. She was recalling their talk at the hospital while she went for a shower.

It had been two weeks since the incident and it was like nothing had ever happened. She had tried to talk to Vinyl at the hospital about her 'problem'.

But Vinyl hadn't wanted to listen to reason, pretending that the tests had to be wrong. And even if they weren't, she could stop anytime. It wasn't like she was addicted, she only drank after her gigs with the staff and sometimes with friends she had invited.

Of course, Octavia had doubted the veracity of these statments at the beginning. How could she not, when the doctor had strongly asserted that Vinyl was an alcoholic? But the two mares had resumed their daily routines and nothing had come up to Octavia's mind to readress the topic. Moreover, the mix of guilt and concern she had felt the first days was now over, seeing that Vinyl seemed to be doing well. It looked like it was a false alarm after all.

In any case, the groceries weren't going to do by themselves. She made a quick list after her shower and thought that maybe Vinyl would want to add some things on it, like those morning cereals full of sugar she loved so much.

She reached her door and knocked.

"Vinyl? I'm going to the market. Do you need..."

"Just a minute."

" I just want to know if-"

"Just a moment!"

Octavia waited and after a minute or so, the door half-opened, leaving only the unicorn's face with a big smile and her shades to be visible.

"Hi Octy, what do you want?"

"I'm going to refill our food stock. Do you want me to buy something specific?"

"Nah, I'm good. Thanks."

"Very well. I'll be back in..." She cut herself.

She had smelled something odd. Something...

"Vinyl....?" she asked shyly.

"Yes?"

"Have you... drunk?"

The smile on Vinyl's face became tighter. "Nooo... what makes you think that?"

"Vinyl, I can smell your strong breath from where I stand. I believed you only drank after your perfomances."

"I just took only one, you know, just to enjoy the taste. Don't you sometimes drink a glass of wine?"

She didn't answer. Instead, she turned and crossed the living-room, towards the window. She had to check something. Her mind, in an attempt to save her from her growing concern,was telling her that she would find it unchanged. Please, be unchanged.

"Where are you going Octy?" asked Vinyl at the strange behaviour of her roommate. "Octy?"

She wasn't listening. Instead, she opened with a shaking hoof the piece of furniture right next to Vinyl's turntables, where they kept the bottles.

There was only one remaining. Half empty.

"Where are they?" asked Octavia, her back still turned to Vinyl.

"Where are what? What are you talking about?"

"Where are the other bottles?" she said, facing her roommate and pointing to the almost empty cupboard, without being able to prevent a bit of anger from reflecting in her voice.

"Oooh that... hmmm..."

"I'm waiting."

"It's just... Look, don't be mad okay? I brought them to the party after my hundredth gig to mark the occasion. I swear I wanted to replace them, but I just... forgot."

"Vinyl, don't lie to me."

"What? I'm not lying!"

"Ugh please..."

"How's that 'please'? Who do you think you are? Miss perfect?"

"Listen, Vinyl, I..."

"SHUT UP! You think you're special, huh? Better than anypony else? I won't listen to you! Because anything I could say would be a lie apparently. You know what?" she asked returning to her room and coming out again with something in her telekinetical grasp. "Here, take this," she said, throwing bills to Octavia's face, "And shove it right up your ASS!" she yelled, slamming her door.

Octavia saw the bills gently falling to the floor in a scattered stack. Well done, Octavia, very well handled.

She gathered the bills and put them on the low table.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was high in the sky and shone intensively, its warm alleviated by several clouds that the weather team had set to cool the temperature. Residents of Canterlot were enjoying this beautiful day, some sitting in terrace and savouring their beverage, others trotting aimlessly through the streets, while the workers were humming a melody only known to themselves. The shopping district was crowded with ponies and a few griffons, going from one shop to the other, buying things that they didn't need but wanted nonetheless, and trying to bargain prices with the shopkeepers who, from their part, were rubbing hooves together at the incoming profits.

Two mares exited a restaurant located in the main street of the district, the first one, a grey earth pony, waving goodbye and thanking the waiter, and the other one, a white unicorn, following her.

"So where are we gonna go next?" asked Vinyl.

"I need new strings for my cello and I was hoping to go to the store today. Shall we do this now?" replied Octavia.

"Sounds good."

They headed for the music store they knew well. During the journey, Octavia glanced at her friend out of the corner her eye.

Vinyl hadn't held a grudge against Octavia from their fight. When Octavia had tried to apologize, Vinyl hadn't let her finish her sentence and had gently but firmly told her that it was in the past and to forget about all this. She had been more than happy to comply and make up with her friend but small details had been keeping her concerned.

Vinyl seemed to be more irritable this past weeks. Where she only would have settled for making a joke about the things that didn't go her way or simply dismiss them, she now made sarcastic comments instead. She also locked herself in her room longer and more often, exiting it only for meals. Their present outing was due to the fact that Octavia had convinced her to come with her to enjoy an afternoon walk.

"So, do you have any performance planned this week?" asked Octavia, not wanting Vinyl to notice her worrying look.

"Yeah, I got two."

"Aaannnnd, when will they take place?"

"Hugh," she sighed, "one tomorrow night and the other in four days at the same club."

"That's good news."

"Yeah, whatever."

That was one more thing that seemed off to Octavia. The usual contagious energy that Vinyl used to show to everyone, friends or acquaintances, was weaker. She used to always be full of enthusiasm for everything, even the small ones and even when she would wake up after midday. Now, she sometimes displayed apathy towards the things that made her happy.

There had to be something I can do to help lift up her mood. Maybe I could go to her next performance. I 'm not really a big fan of the atmosphere of those dancing clubs, but the music isn't that bad. It can be quite enjoyable to listen to. Maybe Vinyl could find me a place where I won't be disturb by all the party goers and where I could enjoy her mixing.

"Vinyl! Octavia!"

She was cut from her thought by the voice of a green mint unicorn exiting a flower shop with a bouquet held in her magic and calling to them.

"Lyra!" exclaimed Octavia with a smile.

She exchanged a quick hug with the lyrist. For her part, Vinyl just waved to her.

"Sup'," she added casually to her motion.

"What are you doing here? Enjoying the beautiful weather?" asked Lyra

"Partly," replied Octavia, "I also needed to replaced my cello strings."

"So you gonna go to Luthier's shop right?"

"Yes, of course."

"Say hello for me when you'll see him. I owe him a last minute strings replacement."

"So that's why you were a bit late last time."

"Yeah, I kinda forgot about it and only remembered the night of our concert. He saved me on this one."

"That's not like you to forget about that kind of thing. What did you have on your mind?"

"Oh, nothing really important," replied Lyra with a fake smile.

"Are you sure?" asked Octavia with a smirk. "Wouldn't it be related, by any chance, to that pretty mare that came to see you that night and you talked to after the performance, without any words for your colleagues?"

"N...no..."

"Tell me, to whom this flowers you're holding are intended for?"

"Nopony!" she exclaimed, trying to hide the bouquet behind her.

"Sure, and I'm Princess Celestia's secret foal."

"Ugh fine, you guessed well," she muttered, "They are for her. In fact, I was about to go to the train station and go see her for the week-end."

"The train station? She is not from Canterlot?"

"No, she is from Ponyville, a small town, less than two hours from the capital."

"That's lovely, I'm happy for you. You should introduce her to us next time"

"Hmm thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And what about you Vinyl?" she said turning to the white mare. "You barely said anything, how are you?"

"Sorry, I feel a bit too hot. I'm fine actually, but nothing new, same routine."

"Still mixing at clubs right? When is your next? I may come to see you."

"One tomorrow night and the other is Tuesday night, at Pepperoni's club. Sorry, can we move in the shade?" she added. "I'm starting to get really hot under that sun."

"No problem." They went under the flap of the flower shop.

"Are you okay Vinyl? It looks like you're sweating," asked Octavia.

"I'm fine. Anyway Lyra, if you wanna come with your marefriend, just tell me and I'll tell the security to let you in."

"Thank you but she is not my marefriend. Yet," she said without being able to prevent a smile from appearing. "In any case, I'm glad you seem fine after all what happened."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"You know, you little accident and everything..."

"And what's that suppose to mean?" she asked raising her shades and looking fiercely to Lyra.

"Octavia told me that you..." she tried, seeing that Vinyl's expression became tenser, "had your accident because of... things" she chose to say after a look on Octavia's face, "... and I guessed that, with you looking fine and everything, you have dealt with... them and... put them behind you."

"And wh... what are these things Octavia told you about?" she asked in a short breath.

"Come on Vinyl," intervened Octavia, "let's not bother Lyra anymore, she has a train to catch."

"No no, I want to hear about the bullshit you keep on telling to everypony. What did she tell you, that I... I was a fucking alky?"

"She is worrying about you, Vinyl" she said softly, "And so am I."

"Well, you can keep your worries for yourself, I don't need them! I'm a grown mare!" she said raising her voice.

"Vinyl..." whispered Octavia, gently putting her hoof on Vinyl's shoulder.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" she yelled, pushing away her friend's leg with too much strength.

Caught by the sudden push, Octavia didn't managed to stand and crashed on the flower pots behind her. She coughed dirt while Lyra, who had rushed to help her, was moving away the pots covering her body and cleaning off the dirt from her fur.

"Octy, I..."

"Vinyl!" screamed Lyra, "how could you-"

"Easy Lyra," firmly said Octavia who was getting back on her hooves, "I'm fine."

Taken aback by the unexpected order, she froze and kept her mouth shut.

"I'm sorry Tavi, I... I didn't want it to h... hurt you." Vinyl's breath was getting shorter and shorter while she was muttering apologies. "I... I'm so s... sorry..." She was now panting heavily, her eyes jumping from one thing to another.

"Vinyl?" asked Octavia. "Are you okay?"

"I... huh... so... y... T..."

"Vinyl?"

"...avi..."

She collapsed.

"VINYL!" screamed Octavia.

She rushed to her friend laid on the street. Her body was shaking.

"Vinyl, can you hear me?"

No answer came. Her body kept on shaking for a minute, until it suddenly stopped.

"Vinyl?"

Octavia tried to slap her cheeks to wake her but Vinyl stayed unconscious. What is happening?

A dreadful thought came to her mind. She quickly put her hoof on Vinyl's neck.

There wasn't any pulse.

"VINYL!" she screamed again. "LYRA! Quick, call an ambulance!"

Lyra, who had watched the entire scene without being able to move, came back to her senses and took her phone to make the call.

Octavia put her two forlegs on Vinyl's chest and started to push hard in repeated motions, only stopping to give her the kiss of life before resuming the cardiac massage. She barely noticed that her friend's breath tasted like alcohol.

Come on Vinyl, breath. Damn it, breath!

The small crowd that had watched the fight was now looking horrified at the two mares, one of whom was vainly and desperatly trying to preserve the small sparkle of life inside her friend.

A siren echoed through the streets, screaming to ponies' ears closed enough to hear it, about the silent tragedy that had occurred in their own neighbor. Soon enough, the ambulance came and took on the three mares.

The only clue an incident had occured was the pieces of broken purple shades that a cleaning pony would sweep with an uncaring look.