• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 433 Views, 17 Comments

Daring Do Adventures: Daring Do And The Raiders Of Atlantis - XombieSlayr



Daring Do embarks on a mysterious adventure to find the legendary lost city of Atlantis, and uncover the secrets her father left behind on his expedition before his disappearance.

  • ...
 17
 433

Chapter 11: "The Grand Galloping Gala."

Chapter 11: "The Grand Galloping Gala."

Moonbeam looked back at her cutie mark of a glittering blue star next to a silver crescent moon. She smiled as she looked it over. To her, it symbolized her destiny to change the world. Her destiny to shine brighter then any other star.

And when she found Atlantis, she would do just that. Soon everypony in Equestria would look at her as they did Celestia. Just as she once looked at her. It seemed like eons since she had wanted to study magic under the great Princess Celestia. But that chance was taken away from her, by another unicorn, who knew nothing of what magic could really do.

Moonbeam scowled at the thought, her mirrored reflection showing her mixed expression of regret and anger. She had never forgotten that day when she was passed over to become Celestia's student. She had wanted so bad to learn from her. To become her pupil. Celestia had been her hero.

But what had happened? she was rejected. And that yellow unicorn with the flame colored mane had gotten chosen instead of her. After she had proven she was so much better than all of them. But it didn't matter now. Celestia would realize her mistake. And Moonbeam would make sure that she regretted it. That they all did.

She was more powerful than any unicorn, now. The Dark arts had taught her more in a month, than Celestia could've taught to her in 5 years. She smiled to herself. She was beyond trivial unicorn magic. And soon, she would show the whole world, what the true power of the Dark Arts was really capable of.

A goon poked his head into her room. "We've prepared the displays just as you asked, Mistress. Everything's set and ready to go."

Moonbeam gave the slightest glance over to him. "Good. Get it all ready for transport." She ordered.

She looked back to herself in the mirror. At her elegant silver and white sequined gown, her diamond encrusted necklace and her extravagant updo with numerous swirls and braided in a way that made her look like a queen. Because very soon, she thought, I will be.

She gave another glance over to the goon. "And be sure to dress nice." She smirked.

"The Grand Galloping Gala is very important to Celestia."

She narrowed her eyes as she smiled wickedly to herself in the mirror. "We wouldn't want to ruin it, for her."

Daring's Office

This marked the second time, that Daring would be dressing fancy for the sake of finding Atlantis. Again though, she didn't mind.

She had decided to wear the same olive colored gown she had wore to professor Atlas's presentation. Albeit, with a different, slightly more fancy updo and necklace. After all, she wasn't going for the party, but she was still going to the Grand Galloping Gala.

She turned and looked at herself in the mirror, that she had carefully balanced against a large stack of books by her desk. She smiled as she did a little twirl, letting the olive fabric sweep around with her. I do look good, she thought.

Putting her mind back on track, Daring glanced over at the picture on her desk. It was the photo of the professor, Quill and her father. Atlas had given it to her after they had returned from Iceland. She looked over at it fondly, and smiled, his confident grin smiling back at her from the frame.

"Don't worry dad. I'll find you soon." Daring said softly, as she turned and went out the door, being sure to lock it as she left.

Canterlot Palace (Outside The Palace Doors)

Daring Do was but an olive colored dot in a multicolored sea of hundreds of well dressed and extravagant ponies, all waiting earnestly outside the great looming doors of the Royal Canterlot Palace, eager to get inside and take part in the festivities of the Grand Galloping Gala.

After they checked their invitations with the royal guards at the gates.

Daring looked around in amazement at the scenery around her. The crisp night air blew gently through the lavishly decorated trees and strings of gold colored lights adorned every lamppost and hung down from the archways that dotted the path leading up to the palace. Ponies all looked around in awe at the amazing display around them. If Daring didn't have other things on her mind, she would've been far too captivated to notice she was next to give her invitation to the guard.

"Miss?"

"Huh?" Daring said, turning her attention away from the extravagantly decorated tree beside her.

"You're invitation?"

"Oh...right."

Daring pulled out the invitation and handed it to the guard. He looked it over.

He then handed it back to her and smiled. "Thank you, ma'am. Enjoy the gala."

Daring smiled as the guard opened the door for her. "Oh, thanks. I intend to." She said warmly as she went inside.

The hall of the Royal palace was alive with countless scenes of grandeur and awe. There were a hundred lively conversations taking place at once in the lobby. Each conversation was upbeat, and was usually about the wonder of tonight's events. Daring glanced over at the walls to see perfectly lined up along them, were fifty massive round tables. Each was covered in a crisp white tablecloth and set for ten guests. Gorgeous blooms of jasmine, lavender, and rainbow hibiscus were arranged into tall centerpieces, and they filled the air with perfumed freshness, delighting everypony, including Daring.

Each lucky guest’s place was set with gold-plated utensils, fresh flower petals, and an exclusive party favor. There was a tiny chocolate truffle in the shape of a rose, and next to it was a real long-stemmed blossom with a card bearing the guests name. The elaborate calligraphy bore many loops and swirls, much like the vines of ivy that covered the bandstand. Daring glanced over at the card, that bore Mazra's name.

Ms. Mazra, Headmaster Of The Royal Canterlot University. Daring had to stop herself from thinking "Where's my name?", when she remembered that she had not actually been invited to the gala, and was here in Mazra's place. She would have to come up with a very good explanation as to why she had shown up instead of the headmaster of Canterlot's pride and joy, the Royal Canterlot university, but she would worry about that later. In spite of trying to stay focused, Daring admitted to herself that she was a little bit jealous at having not received an invitation herself, dismissing that it must've gotten lost in the mail. Shaking her head, Daring returned to focusing on her task: She had to get to the courtyard. That is where she would get her answers, finally. She couldn't get swept up in the night's festivities. No matter how extravagant they were.

But then, looking over at the great marble stairway, Daring saw them.

The Celestial princesses stood majestically at the top of the stairs, warmly greeting guests who were heading to the ballroom. Princess Celestia stood taller than any other pony in the room, and her sister, Luna stood beside her, both of their enchanting manes flowing endlessly behind them.One as bright and colorful as a rainbow, and the other as dark and beautiful as a starry night sky. Both of them were not wearing any dresses nor additional flare. For they had no need to do so, already being as beautiful as they had ever been.

Daring froze in her place. She had to get past them to reach the courtyard. Daring had always been clever and could handle situations where she needed to lie, fairly well.But this was another matter. Did she really have the heart to lie to Princess Celestia's face?

Wait!, maybe she didn't need to lie. All she had to do was trot past them, and that would be it. She didn't actually need to talk to them. All she had to do was smile, and nod her head in response when they princesses greeted her. Then she would be free to find the courtyard.

But would that really work? Despite having not thought through it completely, Daring's legs were already moving of their own accord, towards the stairway.

Daring held her breath and forced an elegant smile to her face, as she approached the celestial princesses at the top of the stairs, who bowed respectfully to her.

"Welcome to the Gala." Celestia said warmly.

"Please enjoy your evening." Luna said equally as warmly.

Both princesses spoke beautifully, and in a tone, that Daring thought she had to say "Thank you." But she didn't, keeping her mind firm, she nodded elegantly and smiled back. The princesses returned the favor, and turned their attention to the next guest behind daring.

Daring had done it! Now she just needed to find the courtyard. She hurried up to the next set of stairs.

But then daring heard Celestia call out a name. A name that made her freeze on the spot.

"Moonbeam! How absolutely wonderful it is to see you again!"

Daring turned to see Celestia bow her head to an extravagantly well dressed Moonbeam, who bowed her head respectfully back. "Oh no, Your highness."

Daring looked as Moonbeam raised her head.

"The honor is all mine." She said looking directly up at Daring, who stood frozen behind the princesses, and smiled wickedly.