• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 431 Views, 17 Comments

Daring Do Adventures: Daring Do And The Raiders Of Atlantis - XombieSlayr



Daring Do embarks on a mysterious adventure to find the legendary lost city of Atlantis, and uncover the secrets her father left behind on his expedition before his disappearance.

  • ...
 17
 431

Chapter 10: "An Unlikely Source."

Chapter 10: "An Unlikely Source."

Something wasn't right about it. Of this, Daring knew perfectly well.

Moonbeam had claimed that Daring's father had worked with her organization. That he was...looking for something. But what? What could be so important that Daren Do would team up with a group of evil unicorns to find it?

Something was going on. Something much bigger then just a normal expedition. It's like everyone knew something about her father. Except where he had disappeared to.

And Quill. What did he know about Moonbeam that he didn't want Daring to know? How did it all fit together? And just what in Equestria was The Abyss, he had accidentally mentioned? There was no doubt about it. Something bigger was going on. Much bigger.

"Daring!"

The professor's voice brought Daring out of her thoughts. Daring and Swift Wing had returned to the university, and had found their friends waiting for them patiently in her office. While Swift Wing had taken up residence on her couch, Daring had become lost in thought as she had tried to relay what had happened with Moonbeam to Atlas and Herpy.

"Are you alright, Daring?" Herpy asked concerned. He was setting down a tray of tea for everyone on the coffee table. He looked at her with worry.

"What happened with Moonbeam? Did you get the dialogue back?" he asked.

"Well...no. But I do have a lead on something else."

Daring explained to her friends about her encounter with the mysterious zebra, who had run into her at the train station. How he had told her to go to "Where light meets the trees, and where the eyes of Equestria only sees." Perhaps this was a clue on what they should do next.

Or a trap set up by Moonbeam.

No one had a straight forward explanation for the zebra's message, nor as to their identity. "What are the eyes of Equestria?" Swift asked.

Everyone took a moment to think about this. Then Professor Atlas came to a fairly surprising answer.

"What about the Celestial princesses?"

Swift Wing sat up on the couch. "Y-you can't be serious. What could princess Celestia and princess Luna have to do with this?" she asked, utterly amazed at what she thought atlas was suggesting.

Atlas defended her idea. "I'm not saying they have anything to do with it. But if I was thinking of looking for "the eyes of Equestria", well...I don't know whose eyes see more of Equestria, then the Celestial princesses." She explained.

The idea sounded strange, but it also made too much sense. Daring had to admit that Atlas was right: Nobody saw more in Equestria than princess Celestia and Princess Luna. But if that was the first part of the message...

"Where light meets the trees."

Daring stood up as the realization hit her. "The Palace gardens."

'What?"

"That's where that zebra meant, The palace gardens! It makes sense: The princesses watch over all of Equestria from the palace. and the light touches the trees of the gardens, every morning Princess Celestia raises the sun. That's where we need to go."

Herpy was the most surprised of anyone. "But, that's crazy! You can't just waltz into the royal palace, and ask if you can investigate the gardens!" Herpy exclaimed, as if the idea was guaranteed to get Daring into serious trouble.

And Daring agreed. She would no doubt attract unwanted attention from the royal guard, and she wasn't up for facing the celestial princesses to explain why she had tried to sneak into the palace. But this wasn't the only way in. There was another.

"The Grand Galloping Gala. It's tonight." Daring said with a smile.

Atlas smiled as well. "Of course! You could attend this year's Gala! The commotion would no doubt provide cover for you to sneak away, investigate the gardens, then sneak back to the party, before anypony is the wiser. It's brilliant!"

"But...How will you get an invitation? No offense Daring, but they don't just let anypony have an invite to the grandest ball in Equestria." Herpy explained.

Daring smiled. "Oh I already know where to get one. And its right here in the university: Mazra."

Herpy looked quite scared. "M-Ma

"Mazra." Daring confirmed.

Daring and Herpy both completely understood the gravity of this name. But Swift Wing and the professor simply looked confused.

Daring smiled as she explained her plan.

"It's simple. I'll just go see Mazra. She gets an invitation to every gala, on behalf of the university. I'll just convince her to give me her invitation."

Mazra was known for being possibly the most stern, poised and intimidating headmaster the royal Canterlot university had had in a long time. Although she was certainly one for the rules, and didn't appreciate Daring running off every other day to embark on some epic adventure, while leaving her classes attended by whoever she managed to convince to watch her students for her, Mazra was not a bad pony. Daring knew if, she would be able to, Mazra would help her with whatever she needed.

Herpy did not sound too confident however. "How in the world, will you convince Mazra to just give you her invitation to the grandest party in Equestria? he asked.

Daring only smiled slyly. "Oh, don't worry. I have the perfect plan." she said confidently.

Sometime Later (Mazra's Office)

Mazra's office was lavish and very organized. Every book and file placed carefully and neatly, according to Mazra's own cut and dry system. She kept a small collection of priceless artifacts and antiques on display behind glass on one side of the room, and her desk to the front. One chair for her. One chair for any guests she may have.

In this case, that chair was being occupied by Daring Do, who had just finished explaining most of what had happened since she first told Mazra she would go looking for Atlantis. Needless to say, Mazra wasn't sure what to think.

She rested her head on her hooves, as her diamond-tipped eyes, scanned Daring with utmost precision.

"That is...quite a story, Daring." She elaborated, with a calm tone.

Daring held her breath. Mazra had to believe her.

"Well?" she asked earnestly.

But to her chagrin, Mazra sighed her usual sigh and narrowed her eyes just slightly. "Well as I, said." She looked at Daring.

"Its quite a story."

"But!"

Mazra stopped Daring before she could argue. "Daring, I believe in your search for Atlantis, and for your father. I do."

She sighed again as she removed her spectacles, making her icy eyes even clearer. And more intimidating than ever. "But this talk of evil unicorns, conspiracies and...The Dark Arts? Sorry, but it all sounds like utter nonsense, dreampt up by somepony more interested in chasing fantasies, than treasure."

Daring fought back. "No, its true! Her name is Moonbeam and she's a member of Altum Magicae, and their all a bunch of evil unicorns that are trying-

"Evil unicorns? Daring, I've never heard of this Altum Magicae, or this, what was her name, Moonbeam?"

"Mazra, shes evil! She's going to take over Equestria, if we don't stop her! Shes trying to become more powerful than Celestia and Luna!"

"Oh, now I know this is nonsense. Nopony is more powerful than the celestial princesses, Daring. Dark Arts or no." Mazra dismissed.

"Now, I'm not sure why you keep insisting on this ridiculous-"

Daring was getting impatient. She stood up from her chair and slammed both hooves on Mazra's desk. "Mazra, I don't have time to argue with you! Whether you believe me, or not, I couldn't care less. But if I don't get into that gala, then not just Equestria, but the whole world will be in grave danger!" She exclaimed.

Mazra sat back in her seat, eyes wide. She didn't seem to have a response, So Daring continued.

"I'm the only one, who can stop Moonbeam and her goons before they find Atlantis. And when they do...It'll mean the end. For everyone."

"Could you live with yourself, if you let that happen?"

Mazra sat in her chair, seemingly dumbfounded as she looked on at Daring's deadly serious expression.

A short moment passed, where both of them said nothing. Then Mazra put her spectacles back on looked at Daring, her expression lethal.

"In all my years, as a headmaster at this university, nopony, has ever spoken to me in the manner you just did!" She exclaimed, her eyes penetrating every fiber of Daring's being.

Daring was legitimately terrified, but she did not relent. She stood her ground. And at this, Mazra's expression softened.

"And the fact that you did...must mean that you, at least believe, you are telling the truth." She said, suddenly calm.

Daring sat back down, as relief poured over her in an ocean. She said nothing as Mazra continued.

"I may not understand the complete situation, but you seem to know more about it than I do. Whether evil unicorns are involved, I cannot say. But if the world, truly is in danger...

Mazra reached into her desk drawer and withdrew a gleaming gold ticket inscribed in fancy lettering, that read: "Admit One. The Grand Galloping Gala at Canterlot Palace." The lettering was exquisite. Exactly what would be expected on an invitation from Princess Celestia, herself.

Mazra smiled as she handed the ticket to Daring. "Than I know that Daring Do, is the pony who can save it." She said kindly.

Daring took the ticket in her hooves, and smiled. "Thank you, Mazra!" She exclaimed wrapping the startled earth pony in an awkward hug.

Awkward for Mazra, at least, as she slowly patted Daring's back with her hoof. Like she seemed eager to get out of it.

Daring let go of her, and ran to the door to the hall. She looked back and smiled at Mazra. "See? I knew you weren't as evil as everyone says." She said warmly.

She ran out the door, with the invitation tucked tightly under her wing, as Mazra simply looked on.

"Um...Thank you?" she said, unsure if she should feel thankful or offended.