• Published 27th Nov 2016
  • 432 Views, 17 Comments

Daring Do Adventures: Daring Do And The Raiders Of Atlantis - XombieSlayr



Daring Do embarks on a mysterious adventure to find the legendary lost city of Atlantis, and uncover the secrets her father left behind on his expedition before his disappearance.

  • ...
 17
 432

Chapter 13: "Those Who Fear The Light."

Chapter 13: "Those Who Fear The Light."

The palace gardens were truly a sight to behold. And as Daring Do trotted through them, she felt as if she was in another world.

The grass underneath her hooves was greener than green, and like everything else felt alive in a way that made her feel magic in every step she took. A few feet away, Daring spotted a grove of trees that bore strange and luscious-looking fruit that cycled steadily through a rainbow of colors.

Farther off was a gurgling brook that Daring swore was singing to her, saying "Welcome." On the banks of the stream, enormous flowers swayed in the breeze, their giant blue blossoms (some as big as beach balls) were opening and closing hypnotically, as if they were breathing. Their scent wafted toward her on the breeze. Daring stopped and smelled the air. It smelled like the ocean and fresh baked-blueberry pie. Daring had never smelled anything that was so pleasing to her senses before.

The enormous golden fence that bordered the courtyard was covered in fresh growing moss and tangled with twisting vines along each row. Daring made her way through the gardens, taking in every detail, until she came upon an enormous mosaic tile pattern that bordered around a massive oak tree.

Sitting at the base of the tree, was a mysterious white robed hooded figure that payed absolutely no mind to Daring. But she didn't dare lower her guard as she slowly approached the figure.

"I'm not going to bite, Daring Do." came a young female voice from underneath the hood.

Daring instinctively jumped back as the figure stood up on their hind legs and lowered her hood. Now looking at Daring was a young but wise looking young zebra with chestnut eyes and a mysterious smile that told Daring she was quite wise for her age. Her mane had a tribal curl to it, which spiked up at the top of her head, neatly. She had a few tribal tattoos that dotted her face along with her black stripes, as well.

The zebra bowed to Daring. "It's nice to see you got my message, Ms. Do. It's an honor." she said with a smile.

Daring nodded. So this was who had sent that zebra to talk to her. "And you are?"

"I am Ozma. A member of a long standing tribe of zebra, that have stood against the forces of darkness since before Celestia's time. And also...a friend."

Daring nodded again, and waited for Ozma to stand on her four hooves like she was. But Ozma continued to stand up, perfectly balanced on her hind legs, without trouble.

Daring raised an eyebrow. "How...how are you doing that?"

Ozma chuckled. "Practice and meditation are powerful allies, Ms. Do. Your father was quite adept at them, as well."

"You knew my father?"

"No, Ms. Do. I know your father."

"You mean...you know where he is?" Daring asked eagerly.

Ozma shook her head. "Do not despair my friend. You shall reunite with your father someday soon. I promise you this. For now...we have other matters to attend to."

Daring knew it was foolish to ask any more about her father, so she just nodded again. "You asked me to come here. To the palace gardens on the night of the Grand Galloping Gala. Why?"

Ozma said nothing but walked over to admire the mosaic art that lined the ground they stood on. They were tile paintings done to resemble both Celestia and Luna standing at either side of the floor, on the backdrop o both a golden sun and a sparkling silver moon.

"This art piece has been around for a very long time. It was done long before Celestia and Luna were known as the "Celestial princesses." And it holds a secret that even they do not know about."

As Ozma said this, she waved her hoof and the mosaic tile suddenly came alive, moving in every which direction, rearranging itself in various colors and hues until Daring could finally make up the new image that the pattern showed.

Celestia and Luna were gone and the design now showed only the golden sun and the silver moon, side by side, entwined in a white circle. This circle was now resting on a circular design that now resembled light shining through the clouds. At the very border was an inky black darkness that seemed to be slowly closing in around the entire design.

Before Daring could say anything, Ozma reached into her cloak and threw a hoof-full of sparkling dust into the air. The air shimmered, as pink glittery energy swirled in midair. It was like watching pink glittery fish swim through the air, twisting and looping in little spirals, growing brighter and stronger and pinker by the second until Daring had to shield her eyes.

Ozma spoke as the energy began to take form. "A great evil has surfaced after many years."

The energy took the form of the evil eye design with the horn she had seen on that book about the Court Of The Dark Horn.

"Of which, you have had numerous encounters with."

The energy now took the shape of Moonbeam's pretty but wickedly smiling face.

"Indeed, it is here as we speak. in these halls. And it seeks the most dangerous magic known to any one of us: The Black Magic Of Atlantis."

Suddenly the pink aura faded, as the energy now took the form of a hideously grotesque black tar-like skull that oozed in midair.

"This magic is unlike any that we know of. It has no rules. No restrictions. No way of casting it. It simply goes by whose strong enough to use it, and takes them as its host. Like a parasite feeding on the very soul of a catalyst."

The skull opened its disgusting mouth in a soundless scream. And yet Daring couldn't help but think she heard something come from it.

"As its host, the user is given access to unimaginable magic power, without limit and no restrictions what so ever on its use. The cost for this power is life. In order to feed this deplorable magic, the user must sacrifice the life essence of others by feeding on their souls. The more souls taken, the more powerful the user becomes."

Daring felt her jaw drop. She couldn't believe something so evil actually existed. And the fact that Moonbeam actually thought she could control it was pure madness. No one could control something like that. It sounded like a monster that lived inside of you, and you had to keep feeding it to keep it from destroying everything.

Ozma continued as the energy now took the form of city on the ocean. Atlantis, Daring guessed. "But of course, nothing can be staved off for long. And once the user is unable to feed the beast..."

The city then shook as it sank beneath the glittering waves in the air. "Catastrophe is always to follow."

Daring's eyes were wider than ever as she looked at the scene, and had it replay in her mind. Now she understood. It hadn't been a volcanic eruption or natural disaster that had sunk Atlantis. It had been the magic itself.

The Atlanteans must've lost control of it, and as a result, doomed the entire city to destruction. "W-why?....why would anypony, in their right mind, think of creating something like that?" Daring asked, utterly horrified.

Ozma shook her head. "The Atlanteans were not ponies Daring. They were unlike anything else in the world, and you'll never read about them anywhere. Not in any book, nor any legends. They are, and will always be a mystery."

Daring looked at Ozma. "Then...how do you know about them?"

Ozma chuckled. "Because our ancestors had met them firsthoof. They didn't write down much on them. Just that they were brilliant, kept to themselves and their tribes and did not trust outsiders. And that, they could walk on two legs. This knowledge was passed down, and eventually my tribe learned to do it as well. As you can see."

Daring was amazed that their were beings out there that could walk on two legs. And that it could be learned. "Can you teach me how to do that?" Daring asked, eagerly.

Ozma chuckled to herself again. "Perhaps someday. For now, you must stop Moonbeam and her organization. They must not get their hooves on the Black Magic Of Atlantis. Or all will be lost."

"But Moonbeam's here! Just come with me and we can-

"I cannot reveal myself to her Daring. Less she realize that we are aware of her. You can handle her Daring. Though she talks big, she is much weaker than she boasts. For example, if she is distracted, she loses focus in her magic. And like all her ilk, she fears the light."

"The light? You mean like a vampire?"

"Heh. No, Daring. As in she fears those whose hearts are uncorrupted by the dark. Unlike hers. Like you and your father."

There it was again. That twinge in her chest, every time someone said something about her father. It was beginning to seem unfair that everyone seemed to know her dad, better than she did.

"Ozma?"

"Yes?"

"I know it might seem foolish to ask but...I haven't seen my father since I was a filly. I know so little about him, and yet I just want to see him again. I don't know if he's okay, or lost somewhere or anything. I miss him. I...I want him to come home."

Ozma looked at Daring, as if she felt sorry for her.

"Can you tell me anything about where my father is? Anything? Even somewhere he used to be? Please."

Ozma's heart went out to Daring as she smiled at her. "Yes, Daring. I can indeed do that."

Daring's heart leapt as Ozma reached into her cloak and withdrew a small parcel, with innumerable postal stamps on it. "Daren came to us when he realized what Moonbeam was after. We taught him how to face the coming darkness, and he told us about you. Before he left, he gave me this, to give to you. This was only a year ago, so its quite recent as well."

Daring's hooves shook as she took the package and opened it carefully. Inside was a tribal looking wooden box with several paper charms on it. Taped to this box was a letter, with a single word on it.

Daring

Daring set the box down as she unfurled the slightly crinkled letter, and immediately noted her father's calligraphy like hoof writing from his journal. She carefully read every single word to herself, allowing her fathers voice to read it to her in her head.

My Dearest Daring.

If your reading this, it means I'm away. You might not know where I am, or what I'm doing, but know that even now you are always on my mind. I have not once stopped thinking of you, Darla or your mother. Nor will I ever stop.

You must have so many questions. And I'm sorry I can't be there to answer them. But know you are not alone out here. Ozma and her tribe have helped me in the past, and after meeting Moonbeam, they have even made it so I no longer fear the darkness of this world. And neither should you, Daring. Trust her. They will help you on your journey.

Moonbeam is just like all those other ponies that have tried to stand in your way. To keep you from achieving your greatness. But do not be afraid my little Daring. The talisman in the box was made for you by Ozma's shaman. Wear it, and I think you will see that the light is always stronger than the dark.

Atlantis was only the first step for me. For all of us. I never truly discovered what Moonbeam was after in that city. But I know you can. And I know you can stop her. There are always those who will want to scare us off and even harm us, to keep us from finding our greatness. So its up to us to show them that a Do will not quit so easily.

Also in the box is two stones. One carved of a moon. One of The sun. These will allow you to enter Atlantis. Without them, no one else will be able to follow you. Not even Moonbeam.

Find it Daring. And destroy whatever it is they're after. Its too dangerous to be used by anyone, no matter who they may be. I only got so far, so its up to you to complete this step for me. And I know you will.

After all, your my daughter. And I am eternally grateful, that you are.

I love you Daring. And we will see each other again. Someday. I swear it.

Good Luck, my little explorer.

- Dad.

Tears poured from Daring's eyes as she wept, staining the parchment of the letter. As she wiped her eyes, she opened the box and removed the talisman inside. It was a pure white flower with several runes inscribed on its petals. It was held by a beaded chain of glistening green stones, that Daring knew to be jade. It gave off a calming and peaceful aura, that made Daring feel warm inside.

As she put it on, this warmth suddenly spread throughout her whole body, down to the very tips of her hooves. She wiped her eyes again, before she took out the two stones her dad had told her about. They were smaller than she had expected, and were made of some strange orange mineral that sparkled like fire. She carefully pocketed them as she looked up at Ozma.

"Thank you." Daring said, still sniffling a bit.

Ozma bowed and smiled at Daring in response. "Atlantis awaits you Daring Do. Go."

"But where is it? This whole time I've been looking for it, and I have no clue where it could be!"

Ozma chuckled once more. "Of course you do. Look at the package."

Daring eyed the packaging and suddenly realized that every stamp was from the same place: Greece. Not only that but a little 300 was scrawled into the corner of every one. Daring knew exactly what this meant.

"300 miles from Greece. That places it in the Mediterranean! That's where Atlantis is! I found it! Well, dad found it, but I'll actually find it."

Ozma laughed joyfully. "Indeed."

Ozma grasped her necklace and began to glow white. "Farewell Daring. We shall meet again, very soon."

"Wait! I still have so many questions!"

Ozma was now fading away like fog. "You'll find your answers Daring. For now just focus on your goal: Find Atlantis. Destroy the Black Magic and save us all."

"And remember: Do not fear those, who fear the light."

With that, Ozma vanished in a whirl of white petals that ascended into the sky.

Daring stood in that spot for a while, until she finally collected herself, then walked back inside, her fathers gift in tow.

She didn't see the mosaic art transform back into the faces of Celestia and Luna gazing up into the skies.