• Published 4th Jun 2017
  • 1,053 Views, 12 Comments

Our Future Of Harmony - Radiant Eclipse



Starlight Glimmer's manipulation with time revealed many possibilities of futures without hope that were never real nor meant to be. The tale left to tell is what kind of future this world has, and what everypony would give for it.

  • ...
0
 12
 1,053

Act 1 - Chapter 1: Together Beneath The Stars

'Just a tiny change, a mere step taken in the other direction, and everything could have been completely different.'


It was a starlit night in Equestria, a pleasant cold embracing everything and everyone outside. Such tranquil serenity was a complete contrast to the havoc the inhabitants of Equestria had experienced a month ago, yet it already seemed like a distant memory. That was one of the qualities of the ponies, putting aside the past and welcoming the next day. Discord had ultimately proven to be on their side and hence was excused from his past transgressions. Tirek, one of the worst fiends the world ever had to suffer, was once again safely locked away. Unfortunately, Starlight Glimmer was gone without a trace, planning Celestia knows what.

Despite Twilight Sparkle, the princess of friendship, still bearing the burden of her heart heavy from loss, she had managed to adjust to her new home, her very own castle. Tomorrow, she would invite all her friends for board games and muffins, but this night was just for herself. Even Spike was already cuddling with his blankie and enjoying sweet dreams of gems and his most favorite gem Rarity. And although this was meant to be her night, Twilight was far from alone.

Assembling her telescope, the winged unicorn yawned as she turned around to look at Fluttershy's near-natural house, illuminated only by cozy candle-light. Twilight heard her friend's gentle steps as the graceful pegasus approached her with a warm smile.

“Snacks are ready if you want some.” She offered to Twilight, who nodded with appreciation and followed Fluttershy back inside.

“Thank you, but are you sure Angel won't mind sharing?” Twilight asked with an ironic, smug grin on her lips.

Fluttershy could only roll her eyes in amusement and shrug her shoulders. “You know I have my ways with him.”

Inside, Twilight Sparkle took a seat at the wooden table, on which fine cutlery and plates already rested. Briefly entering her kitchen, Fluttershy soon returned with a bowl of mixed salad and a traditional kettle out of which steaming regalement surged. In her typical courtesy, she first served Twilight a plate full of salad and poured hot tea into her cup before serving herself.

Twilight let out a pleasurable sigh when the enchanting smell of the tea rose into her nostrils. “Honey Ginseng, right?” She asked Fluttershy with an expression of satisfaction as she took a sip.

“50 points for Griffonstone.” Fluttershy responded, a beaming grin directed at the young princess.

She in return could almost not believe what she had just witnessed as she rubbed her eyes to make sure she was truly awake. “Did you just tell a joke?” She asked Fluttershy, who merely looked away with the same rapt grin. “I'm so proud of you.”

Their midnight dinner remained mostly quiet and unwound, just like the host enjoyed it the most. Twilight Sparkle did not mind either, as it was a genial change from Spike's lacking table manners, which were even outclassed by the critters living alongside Fluttershy. Speaking of which, when Twilight was almost finished with her meal, she realized that an unusual amount of exotic pups were frolicking in her friend's home.

“Jackalopes, manticores, tanukies. I must say Fluttershy, you've quite the gathering of rare new fosterlings here.” Twilight expressed how impressed she was by the sportive crowd, which of course Fluttershy took as a badge of honor. Skipping out of her chair, she walked towards the stove around which most of her little friends had gathered to enjoy the warmth of its fire. Twilight watched her affectionately petting them, filling her heart with pure bliss.

From her gentle touch alone, many of the youngish critters began to feel dozy and promptly laid down on the blue carpet to sleep. Only Angel, Fluttershy's tiny sweetheart, and a couple of others remained awake to continue their recreation for a little longer. However, just as the yellow pegasus was about to return to her dining table, she felt something pull at her hind leg. Both she and Twilight gazed curiously at the small being that sought Fluttershy's attention.

“I've never seen something like this. Do you know what it is?” The lavender alicorn asked while Fluttershy caressed her little admirer.

“He- and I have no clue either. I found him a day after you defeated Starlight just wandering aimlessly and hungry, so I took him in. Nopony I asked knew what he was, and the 'Woodchucks Guidebooks' don't have anything on him. Though considering he likes to eat crisp vegetables just like Angel, I guess he is some sort of arctic fennec. Not that it matters, because you are my little Fluffy, aren't you? Who is my wittle fluffy friend, yes you are.” Fluttershy at first explained before returning to her baublery with the little animal, which enjoyed it greatly.

As she tousled his silver coat, Twilight continued to watch and could not help herself but become a little curious. Fluffy, as Fluttershy called him, was bipedal just like Angel and barely an inch larger than Spike. The voluminous white pelt around his neck, his fuzzy tail, big ears and golden eyes had something mysterious yet gracious about them. And the tiny red scarf around its neck, likely a friendship gift from Fluttershy, made it look adorable.

“Twilight? Are you okay?” Fluttershy wondered if she was still awake, standing right in front of her.

“U-uh what? Oh yes, I was just daydreaming.” She casually brushed aside the seconds she had slipped away from reality. Shaking her head a little, she nervously grinned at her dear friend and hastily attempted to change the topic of conversation. “So- uuhm- yes, I meant to ask! Where are all these new furballs coming from?” Twilight asked Fluttershy as she invited her to sit down again, which she gladly did.

“Tirek's ruthlessness destroyed many dens, so me and my partners desperately try to find new homes for them. It's all a mess thanks to him, but we managed somehow.” She explained sternly, not hesitating from letting others know it had not only been ponies who suffered from the centaur's malice.

Twilight only nodded in acknowledgment, realizing it was too early to talk casually about that disaster and that it inflicted much fatigue upon Fluttershy. So much for a better topic to talk about, now both of them were distressed. Internally scolding herself, it was once again Fluttershy who spoke up, a winning smile on her muzzle as she stood up.

“Aren't you here to observe the stars?” She asked the adolescent alicorn, who herself was astonished that she had almost forgotten her original reason for this meeting.

Rashly getting up and cantering towards the door, it was Fluttershy's faked coughing that made her stop and turn to her. Embarrassed to know that she had nearly overlooked her host, she drew circles of shame with one of her hooves. “You can come too- if you want.” Twilight sheepishly offered her.

As a clear response, Fluttershy stood up as well and smirked haughtily. “You allow me to enter my own garden? How generous of you, Twilight.” She spoke with as serious of a voice as possible, before suddenly laughing about Twilight's stiff mien of shock.

It was only a few seconds later that she realized she was once again part of one of her jokes, happily joining the guffaw. “You are on a roll today.” Twilight complimented her with utmost sincerity, liking that her backbone improved daily, although she wished to no longer waste any more moonlight. “Come on, let's watch the stars already.” The winged alicorn insisted before exiting Fluttershy's house.

Agreeing with her wish to marvel at the starry night sky, Fluttershy followed suit swiftly. Together, they spent as much time beholding the beauty of the stars as possible, while Twilight excitedly told Fluttershy everything about stellar constellations and the physical properties of the cosmos. While most of the specifics were transcending the pegasus' capability to fathom, she learned one or two basic concepts which actually intrigued her. To her, it was simply beautiful to see that even in the vast void of the universe, there were laws of nature just like here on their world. She wondered; could there be animals somewhere outside that were taken care of just like she did for her own sweeties?

Gazing skywards with a dreamy smile while Twilight used her telescope, Fluttershy abruptly flinched and jittered. “Twilight! This star there, it's- fading.” She uttered anxiously.

Quickly, Twilight Sparkle adjusted her telescope and observed exactly what Fluttershy had pointed out, only for her to rejoice. “Thank you, Fluttershy! This is exactly what I have been looking for!” Twilight jubilated, leaving the yellow pegasus baffled.

“You are happy because a star fades?” Fluttershy questioned her close friend, unable to believe she would enjoy something so horrible.

Twilight could only chuckle before motioning her to take a look through the telescope herself. “It's not a fading star, silly. It's a pulsating comet. But it's not any old comet! Over a thousand years ago, it nearly grazed our world, but now it simply flies around in our solar system. Documents suggest that it might have even been the great Star Swirl the Bearded who used his powerful magic to change its course. And today is one of those few days each century where it is between our world and the moon, so we can observe it even with the naked eye!” Twilight explicated as she usually did despite Fluttershy being more focused on the view.

Deep within dark space, a radiant sphere traversed the vastness of just a tiny fraction of the universe. The billions of years it must have already existed, the millions of worlds and suns encountered, and now it remained here, likely forever. It's entire core was like a prism of glass, sparkling in every color of the rainbow. Perpetually following it was an azure tail of star dust, coating it like it was cosmic royalty.

“It's gorgeous!” Fluttershy gushed as she pulled her head backwards to face Twilight. Still, something was on her mind that disconcerted her, and she hoped that Twilight could ease her spirit. “Since it's so close, won't it hit the moon? Or worse- us?” She sought a calming explanation from her good friend.

To her relief, Twilight quickly started to giggle, amused by Fluttershy's irrational worries. Closing her eyes, she cleared her throat and began her in-depth explanation. “Don't be scared, Fluttershy. Between us and the moon, there are 250,000 miles. That is like walking around our world, ten times. Every single day, thousands of small meteorites hit us and we do not even notice, because they simply vaporize. And even if it became a threat, I'm sure a simple spell can fix the problem. So you can see there is absolutely no reason to be afraid, so let's continue to watch it. Right, Fluttershy?” Twilight proudly finished her explication, only to open her eyes to see Fluttershy was no longer with her.

“Uuuhm- Fluttershy?” She called out for her, though no response would return to her. Looking around, Twilight eventually found a glittering pair of cyan eyes hiding in a nearby bush. Sighing at her nonrational fear, she rubbed her forehead with one of her hooves. “Should have known not to mention the meteorites.” Twilight quietly berated herself, slowly approaching the shrubs in which Fluttershy hid.

“Fluttershy, what are you doing there?” She made no qualms displaying her disbelief in the pegasus, who at first stammered before devising an excuse.

“Oh, you know- seeing if Tirek broke the branches of this bush.” Fluttershy answered with a weak smile that did not impress Twilight at all.

“In complete darkness?” She impugned her.

Not even attempting to think about another noncredible excuse, she simply nodded with a firm stare. “Yes.” Fluttershy answered, a loud squeal escaping her lips.

Giving her dear friend some moments to calm down, Twilight amusedly rolled her eyes and reached out a hoof for her to take. “Come on, Fluttershy. Let's bring you inside.” She offered her with a mellow voice.

It took the young pegasus a while to overcome her dread, but eventually she accepted her offer and crawled out of the shrubbery. “Thanks, Twilight.” She showed her appreciation quietly.

“Always my pleasure.” She responded, giving her scared friend a mild pat on her shoulder. Together, they returned inside Fluttershy's home to relish the rest of the early night and unwind from their worries, both those that were palpable and those distant like the stars.


'Just a tiny change...'