• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 872 Views, 2 Comments

A Stampede to Remember - ShadowGear



A Changeling breaks the one rule he's been taught to follow and makes a friend. Now he must find a way to save his new friend from a horrible death.

  • ...
 2
 872

Chapter 10: Warning

The Changelings marched back to the valley with Sclerite driving the mysterious new weapon. It was a silent trip the whole way through save for the sounds of hooves hitting the dirt or the engine roaring. Once the battalion entered at the valley, Sclerite spoke up.

"Queen Formic. If I may ask. What exactly happened to the Major and the rest of my comrades?"

Queen Formic turned her head in his direction. "If you must know. Your comrades have been sent back to your Hive. You however, are stuck with us until I dismiss you."

"What gives you the right to order me around?" Sclerite challenged.

Queen Formic narrowed her eyes at him in frustration and used her magic to slam Queen Chrysalis' letter in his face drawing a few chuckles from the nearby soldiers. Sclerite took the piece of paper off his face to finally read its contents. His eyes widened as he read it multiple times to make sure he wasn't skipping anything important. Eventually he sighed. "I'm sorry your majesty. My comrades never told me what was going to happen other than the fact that you were supposed to receive this letter."

"That letter just saved your life! Remember that the next time you speak to a Queen!" Queen Formic hissed. She turned away to Tarsal who was sitting in front of a map of the valley drawn in the dirt. Sclerite stared at the cliffs where he met Little Strongheart. That was when he saw her peering over the edge. He looked around at the soldiers. They were all talking amongst each other but none of them paid any attention to him. Once he climbed out through the hatch, he took off into the air to fly to Little Strongheart.


Little Strongheart peered over the edge of the cliffs to see a company of Changelings. Unlike Sclerite, these Changelings matched the description of being muscular and red. In her quest to warn Sclerite of the upcoming danger she had found a battle ready army. Then she noticed a blue Changeling flying in her direction and flattened herself on the ground as it approached. The Changeling flew behind her and turn around.

"Little Strongheart?" Sclerite asked.

She immediately recognized his voice. "Sclerite! I've been looking for you," she said relaxing herself.

"Keep your voice down or they might hear you," Sclerite whispered.

"Listen, my father is coming with the other tribes. They are going to kill you," she said stepping towards him.

"Don't worry about me."

"But-"

"They've created a new weapon, if the tribes attack they will all be destroyed. I need you to talk to your father and get him to stop the attack. If you come, you are all going to die."

"But-" Suddenly Little Strongheart was grabbed from behind.

"Watch out Sclerite, on three. Ready?" the Changeling who kept Little Strong Heart in a lock said before counting down. "One... Two..."

Sclerite quickly prepared his horn and fired, making a loud noise that echoed across the valley. His magical bolt flew threw the air and time seemed to slow down. Meanwhile the Changeling brought his fangs closer to Little Strongheart's neck. Just before the Changeling could bite into Little Strongheart's neck, Sclerite's bolt hit him in the head and he limply fell to his side.

"Go. You won't get another chance," Sclerite said but a few seconds later he realized something. "Actually do you mind hitting me?"

"What?" Little Strongheart replied still shaken from what just happened.

"I just need you to hit me in the head so I will fall unconscious. That might make this look a little convincing."

"Alright..." Little Strongheart said and she walked over to him and lightly slapped him on the head.

"You call that a hit. I need to be unconscious when they discover the body."

"Right sorry," Little Strongheart said before she punched him in the face with all her strength, finally knocking him unconscious but also causing his nose to bleed. She immediately ran and was already a few yards away when Tarsal and a group of Queen Formic's Changelings appeared. The squad began to inspect the bodies of Sclerite and the other Changeling.

"This one is dead sir!" yelled the Changeling inspecting the one Sclerite shot.

Tarsal looked down at Sclerite and put a hoof on his chest. When he felt a heartbeat he announced. "Sclerite is still alive. Get him back to camp." The other Changelings lifted him off the ground and began to carry him back to the rest of the company.